what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby KC2 » December 4th, 2018, 2:54 pm

scullion wrote:i think i could count the bags of caster sugar i've bought, over the years, on one hand. i almost always use granulated - and if i've thought that it really would be better with caster, i've put the granulated in a blender/food processor.

Cheers, scully! Good to know that would have been your answer had I asked peeps on here :D

It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 9:34 am

KC2 wrote:It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!

I do this all the time with my Bamix … I just leave it for a while to let the dust settle before opening ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KC2 wrote:It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!

I do this all the time with my Bamix … I just leave it for a while to let the dust settle before opening ;)

Ah, good idea, Patsy :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2018, 11:08 am

When I have tried to create caster sugar from granulated I have always found it quite hard to get the consistency right. I find it too easy to end up with a more powdery sugar which I think affects the sweetness of what I'm making. It's useful in an emergency but I prefer to keep caster sugar in the cupboard - it lasts years ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Previous

Return to The Bakers Oven