what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby KC2 » December 4th, 2018, 2:54 pm

scullion wrote:i think i could count the bags of caster sugar i've bought, over the years, on one hand. i almost always use granulated - and if i've thought that it really would be better with caster, i've put the granulated in a blender/food processor.

Cheers, scully! Good to know that would have been your answer had I asked peeps on here :D

It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 5th, 2018, 9:34 am

KC2 wrote:It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!

I do this all the time with my Bamix … I just leave it for a while to let the dust settle before opening ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 5th, 2018, 10:27 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KC2 wrote:It can be a bit messy with sugar dust though, can't it? I think I might have tried it ages ago with my Bamix upright blender and the grinding attachment. Maybe I should try again next time!

I do this all the time with my Bamix … I just leave it for a while to let the dust settle before opening ;)

Ah, good idea, Patsy :tu:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 5th, 2018, 11:08 am

When I have tried to create caster sugar from granulated I have always found it quite hard to get the consistency right. I find it too easy to end up with a more powdery sugar which I think affects the sweetness of what I'm making. It's useful in an emergency but I prefer to keep caster sugar in the cupboard - it lasts years ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 28th, 2018, 4:41 pm

scullion, thank you so much for giving the details of old dough sour dough.

Here’s my first attempt, but did measure flour and water. Used DL’s minimum knead method.

old dough bread.jpg

cut.jpg

Overnight rise - 12 hours - three hour prove, think that should’ve been longer - next time …

Bread is fine but was nearly a disaster. Used casserole with lid plus muslin; dough stuck to muslin when tipping out and deflated, so didn’t slash.

Lump of old dough is kept in the freezer - easier as don’t make that much bread.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 28th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Must try that soon.

but I haven't baked anything for weeks. The cooker is barely accessible! :( The problem with the flat roof meant that we had to decant the contents of the utility room into the kitchen at a moments notice. It can't go back until the utility has been plastered and painted. :o That won't be for a couple of weeks at least. We've been living of shop bread for a fortnight... :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » January 13th, 2019, 6:55 pm

A pear and mincemeat crumble cake. Not sure why, but I did.

I had difficulty with the cooking times. But tastes nice with custard, and the texture may not be what it should be. I added Lebkuchen spice to it.

IMG_9023.JPG
Last edited by Herbidacious on January 14th, 2019, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 13th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Looks fab!!! Yum!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 14th, 2019, 11:38 am

My husband got all excited when I sent him the photo, as he thought it was a big savoury pie!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 14th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Herbidacious wrote:My husband got all excited when I sent him the photo, as he thought it was a big savoury pie!
:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 17th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Today the sun was out so my oven went on...... Braised beef with root veg, a casserole with ckx. bones and water for stock, balanced 4 dumplings on top and steamed them to go with the braised beef later on. Baked bottom of BNS with 2 red onions in the cup. Baked jam roll (he had a piece with custard after lunch). Casseroled cubed aubergine, needed using up with stock, herbs, onion and garlic. Meatballs with half a walnut inside, I will make a S&S sauce and serve it with pasta - there are enough for 4 ptns. 4 baked potatoes, 2 baked onions. And finally at 1.15pm two small portions of chips and some haddock goujons warmed in the oven for lunch. We have enough to be going on with for the next few days. :chef:

Pie looks scrum Herb. :chops:

Aero, most of the contents of my cupboards of my utility are in the front porch, the radiator is turned off and it doubles up as a very cool larder. We have been doing this since 29th October, before too long I have to move everything out of the porch but to god knows where !!! It will then have the window removed and changed to a door - life at the moment is a bit like a rubic cube !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 17th, 2019, 7:31 pm

It's a cake Zosh :D It is rather moreish.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 10th, 2019, 2:23 pm

Sun is out, oven is on. It is full with braised beef, onions, garlic, tomato and thyme. 2 trays of biscuits - tangerine and mixed spice. The rind from some pork for crackling, warming up some baked tatos and a gigantic 'pastie' with chicken and m'room for lunch. A casserole of shredded savoy cabbage and bacon to accompany.
Zosherooney
Registered

Previous

Return to The Bakers Oven