what have you baked today?

This is the place where the bakers hang out. Cakes and breads abound.

Re: what have you baked today?

Postby spotteddick » February 23rd, 2016, 8:44 am

I have cut down drastically on carbs, so this has meant no bread baking for a while, has anyone a T&T recipe for low carb bread. I am missing my bread :(
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 23rd, 2016, 10:20 am

I love baking bread Dick but when I do it I can't resist eating it, but it really don't suit me - I just crash a couple of hours later and fall asleep - one small loaf of Waitrose organic wholemeal lasts us a week so I don't bake it for anything other than a very special occasion.

:idea: I s'pose if I ever had trouble getting to sleep at night .........
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 23rd, 2016, 10:30 am

The tins are Nordicware. I got the mini ones from amazon (a bit of a mistake actually. I thought they were going to be bigger.) and the rose ones from Selfridge's kitchen department. A bit of an indulgence. Much cheaper in the U.S...

Hope poor you with the sinusitis. Hope you got some meds for it. My husband had it recently...

That sounds very ingenious, Zosh!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 23rd, 2016, 11:43 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Last nights lasagne was very tasty considering I did not have much meat to put in it, but used various veg in tomato sauce for the layers in between the lasagne, a pot of hollandaise and some emmental slices on top and away we went !

When I make lasagne it never has any meat in but is always tasty :D
I use lots of vegs including onions and mushrooms, and a tomato sauce with herbs - don't see the need for meat :lol:
If I've made ratatouille and have leftovers I often use that for the vegs plus tomato sauce layers :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 24th, 2016, 6:25 am

Does a 10 minute pizza on a ready made tandoori roti/nan count as baking ;) ?
1ap.jpg
Mamta
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 24th, 2016, 6:15 pm

yum! :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » February 26th, 2016, 4:52 pm

They look lovely Mamta.

I made some gluten-free veggie sausage rolls today. The pastry recipe was from my new river cottage gluten free book. with gluten free quorn sausages. The pastry was the best gluten-free batch I've made so far. A lot easier to work with than previous attempts. But they ended up a bit too dry on top and a bit soggy underneath. Although #2 son ate two, so they can't be that bad!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 26th, 2016, 5:11 pm

Which flour did you use Hope?
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » February 26th, 2016, 6:27 pm

The book uses mixtures of single flours, so this one was rice flour, buckwheat, tapioca starch, ground almonds with some ground linseed and psyllium husk to bind. Bit complicated, bit expensive!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » February 28th, 2016, 4:40 pm

And today a gluten-free blackberry bakewell tart from RC GF book. It cooked a lot quicker than the recipe said. (good job I checked it!)
Hope
Registered

Postby smitch » February 28th, 2016, 5:07 pm

A batch of scones (half fruit, half I made savoury with cheese and chive) and matcha cupcakes from the first hummingbird bakery cook book. The kitchen smells great!
smitch
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 28th, 2016, 5:28 pm

Fruit Scones and a pasty based "pizza". Bread later.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » February 28th, 2016, 8:59 pm

Yesterday I made French Baguettes which were my best attempt yet.

Today I have made Pecan Brownies which have just had to go back in the oven as they were still half raw. Next time I will go with instinct and not listen to my hubby :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 29th, 2016, 8:03 am

Mine did not work at all CJ..... :oops:

Baked a trout for lunch today together with roasties and butternut squash, a tray of lemon bars, a venison pie for another day, pigs in blankets, bread and butter pud with choc and orange a some rum in the eggy mixture. Oh, and Mr. Z's frittata for the week, flavoured this week with curry.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Mamta » February 29th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I have given up on French, or any other, baguettes!
Mamta
Registered

Postby Hope » February 29th, 2016, 12:31 pm

I made some GF baguettes today. Or rather they are rolls because I used my yorkshire pudding pan as the baguette pan doesn't fit in the oven! Another recipe from RC GF. Really really tasty and actually feels like proper bread. Definitely the best GF bread I've ever made.
Hope
Registered

Postby hickybank » February 29th, 2016, 2:45 pm

I lost my cooking mojo for a while, I was bulk making dishes & freezing down, all very convienient but realised we were having the same half a dozen meals week after week.
So today I am making Tarragon Chicken in cream, served with Broccoli Timbales & creamy mash with Chives
Cant wait
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 4th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Had a go at some cheese straws today. Some pre-made puff pastry. Grated cheddar sandwiched between two layers. pressed together, then cut into strips and twisted.

Partly successful but needs some work. The usual thing of the cheese only being tasty where it has browned. Just need a very strong cheese. Maybe some thinner pastry next time? Even filo? Maybe just being baked longer?
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » March 5th, 2016, 2:20 pm

I made mini Victoria sponge cakes to bring up to my mother for Mothering Sunday. We had one a day early (with jam and cream.) (Mother's plates etc.!)
25230681030_c33a9f58ec.jpg
24899620103_0331357ef8.jpg
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 5th, 2016, 4:56 pm

:chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 6th, 2016, 9:04 pm

Well. While moaning about the dryness of a piece of coffee and walnut cake at the Chatsworth Garden centre cafe today, my mother said that she didn't like the cakes I made her. I am 90% cross and 10% confidence-smashed. Husband (and I) thought they were very nice.
Oh
How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is
To have a thankless Mother!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 7th, 2016, 9:23 am

Herbie... :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mothers- don't you just love em? Easy answer- if she doesn't appreciate them make her no more cakes. You and OH know the cakes are lovely and that she's just being contrary. Stop making her cakes and I'll bet you she starts giving off because you never make her cakes any more.... :rolleyes:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 7th, 2016, 10:00 am

:lol: indeed. Most probably Seatallan. And she will probably be telling her friends about this awful cake I made her and how she didn't really want to tell me... It was immensely rude of her, I think, even if the cake had been awful. I don't think she would have done this when she was younger. Thoughts of all the dreadful food she's served me and buttoned lips springs to mind. But of course will let it go.
She often goes on about a meal I made her when I was a student. She can't remember what it was, but I know for a fact she would hate it now. (It was as possibly somewhat dated '90s meal of tricolore salad followed by roast vegetable risotto followed by wild apricot fool.)
Last edited by Herbidacious on March 7th, 2016, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » March 7th, 2016, 2:38 pm

Herbi, oh how mean.

I made some red currant and dark chocolate muffins today. Works quite well, really! Tomorrow I have to make Mr Hope's birthday cake. The remaining muffins will go in the freezer.
Hope
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 7th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Well, don't offer any to Herbie's mother! :D :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 7th, 2016, 4:29 pm

aero280 wrote:Partly successful but needs some work. The usual thing of the cheese only being tasty where it has browned. Just need a very strong cheese. Maybe some thinner pastry next time? Even filo? Maybe just being baked longer?

Mary Berry made these on her programme recently .. she rolled and sprinkled cheese and folded the (puff) pastry several times before cutting and then twisting to expose more of the cheese. Hers looked delicious .. :chops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 12th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Jo's back with Mo.

Baked white loaf, overnight sponge, marmite loaf and a dozen hot cross buns, though the crosses disappeared - James Martin, sort of.

bread.jpg
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 12th, 2016, 7:01 pm

yum!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Hope » March 13th, 2016, 8:51 am

I'm making low-carb, gluten free rolls: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/toasted- ... nd-panini/ They've come out purple! (it's to do with the psyillium husk) It's rather amusing me. I've not tried them yet.

DIck - I'll let you know how they taste!
Hope
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 14th, 2016, 4:38 pm

Bit of an experiment today.

I like the texture of the bred cooked in a cast iron casserole, but a round loaf is not always convenient for sandwiches etc. So I ordered a cast iron "terrine dish" on-line. It made a nice loaf, but it was a bit narrow. So i thought that I would try some baguettes in it.

They have turned out rather well!! :)

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » March 14th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Nice looking bread Aero. I have one of the Le Creuset terrine dishes with a lid, it does not get used very much, did you have to use it 3 times to get your 3 batons ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 14th, 2016, 9:26 pm

Yes. Three times, but one batch of bread. And the dish was hot all the time, so one out, one in. As they were small, each was in for about 20 mins. Well it was actually done every other ad break during Countdown and Tipping Point!! :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » March 15th, 2016, 9:30 am

Looks good to me aero280.

Whilst my white and marmite loaves went down well, the buns were disappointing, nothing like the light, tear apart ones I normally produce. Maybe better toasted. Don't know if it was the recipe or over mixing in the machine (though it rose spectacularly in the bowl) or over baked. Next time I'll try Nigella's overnight mix in the fridge.
dennispc
Registered

Postby spotteddick » March 15th, 2016, 9:44 am

Hope wrote:I'm making low-carb, gluten free rolls: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/toasted- ... nd-panini/ They've come out purple! (it's to do with the psyillium husk) It's rather amusing me. I've not tried them yet.

DIck - I'll let you know how they taste!

That will be great, if they are any good I will make some for Easter, we are eating very little bread at the moment, and I am missing it. But daughter and handle are coming for Easter so I may just make a nice Easter Tea :tu:
Cheers

Dick

Just because you're wandering doesn't mean you're lost!!

http://spotteddick-itsallinthegame.blogspot.com/
spotteddick
Registered

Postby Hope » March 15th, 2016, 9:59 am

Sorry forgot to say - they were really tasty and felt nice too. Light and fluffy in the middle and with a crust. Also still soft the next day (GF bread turns to rocks overnight usually!) Although I did put it in a bag just in case. Caveat - I've not eaten wheat bread for nearly seven years and I have noticed that what I find acceptable others might not! I made a third of the recipe (enough for two small rolls) as a trial run. They are very filling, so only needed one for a meal. Try it!
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 19th, 2016, 5:10 pm

I don't usually contribute to this thread, but today I have felt like baking, so as we speak I have a fruit loaf/cake thingy in the oven (see K2C's thread ) and inspired by watching Nigella this morning I also have in the oven a Clementine and Almond cake ... and looking forward to tasting that one. As far as I know it's gluten free (not the reason I have made it though, but Hope might be interested) ... :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Hope » March 19th, 2016, 6:24 pm

Thanks for thinking of me Patsy. I remember seeing it on her programme, but promptly forgot! Shame I've not got any clementines!
Hope
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 19th, 2016, 8:04 pm

Hope wrote:Thanks for thinking of me Patsy. I remember seeing it on her programme, but promptly forgot! Shame I've not got any clementines!

Very easy to make and absolutely delicious. ..here is the link

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nige ... ecipe.html

I used 4 out of a jar of spiced clementines I made the Christmas before last so there was just a hint of the pickling syrup and spices too. So I didn't have to boil fresh ones for 2 hours, but recall I did this in the bottling process :o :tu:

Edited to add: in case you are thinking of making this Hope, then as I recall watching the programme this morning, Nigella simply bunged the whole fruit into the food blender, blitzed them first, then added the other ingredients. In fact the whole point of the programme was quick and easy recipes...... Now that I have read the recipe, it describes cutting them in half, de-seeding them and removing the pith ... :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » March 23rd, 2016, 10:25 pm

Tried some Apple Cinnamon Roses tonight. Just to use up the puff pastry I bought. I should have drained the apple slices longer before putting them in the pastry. A bit soggy in the middle and also could have done with more cooking time.

If you are on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/tastemade/vide ... 428414624/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » March 23rd, 2016, 10:52 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Edited to add: in case you are thinking of making this Hope, then as I recall watching the programme this morning, Nigella simply bunged the whole fruit into the food blender, blitzed them first, then added the other ingredients. In fact the whole point of the programme was quick and easy recipes...... Now that I have read the recipe, it describes cutting them in half, de-seeding them and removing the pith ...

I found this adaptation of Nigella's recipe https://foodsider.wordpress.com/2013/10 ... ow-to-eat/

She softens the fruit in the microwave instead of boiling for hours, then blitzes them with a food processor or blender - pith and all!. Also substitutes other citrus fruits - never seen clementines here in Oz but have plenty of mandarins :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby WorldCupGilly » March 24th, 2016, 8:25 am

I've done a cake very like that with whole oranges rather than clementines, if I remember it was a recipe using one of the sugar substitutes, xylitol I think. I wasn't sure whether I liked it or not, so owing to some twist of logic I can't now remember I have 2 (I think) pureed whole oranges in the freezer.

If I remember correctly I did the oranges in the pressure cooker which takes about 10-15 minutes (would be less for clementines) as I do for marmalade, which takes a lot of the faff out of the cake.

Now, what to do with those oranges?
WorldCupGilly
Registered

Postby dennispc » March 24th, 2016, 11:49 am

Hot Cross Buns.
dennispc
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 3rd, 2016, 8:15 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:as I recall watching the programme this morning, Nigella simply bunged the whole fruit into the food blender, blitzed them first, then added the other ingredients. In fact the whole point of the programme was quick and easy recipes...... Now that I have read the recipe, it describes cutting them in half, de-seeding them and removing the pith ...

It must be a repeat, I saw it ages ago and made it and it was good, definitely all bunged in together, no removing of pips etc so it was really confusing to read the recipe recently.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 3rd, 2016, 8:36 am

I had a third go at the pastry apple roses. This time I dixit all without mistakes. Not sure it's a really good result. It's difficult to get the middle cooked enough to be "non-stodgy" without the outside burning

Then I used up some not very juicy plums and made Dan Lepard's Stone Fruit Yoghurt Cake. It uses e zest if three lemons, so not really a cake to use up tired fruit as it is billed. The iffy plums are gone, buti one have three damaged lemons to find a use for...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WorldCupGilly » April 3rd, 2016, 1:05 pm

aero280 wrote:buti one have three damaged lemons to find a use for...
In such circumstances, I juice them and freeze the juice in an ice cube tray, so then I have lemon juice on hand when needed. About 3 cubes to the lemon, I find.
WorldCupGilly
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 3rd, 2016, 3:16 pm

Ah! yes! :) :tu: :tu:
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Lokelani » April 3rd, 2016, 7:14 pm

We don't really have Easter traditions in this house, but did roast a big chicken, with sausages, chestnut & sage & onion stuffing etc.

Having run out of leftovers mid last week I found a bargain piece of topside on Waitrose counter which we polished off in rare roast beef sandwiches at lunchtime.

So tonight is roasting a lump of gammon as I think it will save money on buying pre=packed sliced ham most weeks. Alongside jacket potatoes & cauliflower cheese as the oven is on for so long.

I guess that is more roasting than baking though.. Again not sure it is baking as such but we did succumb to the temptation of something sweet & for the first time in a decade or more, made a microwave syrup sponge pudding. It amazed me as much as it did the first time I made it! Ok the syrup doesn't go treacley, but still 5 minutes, it's amazing almost watching it rise! :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Hope » April 5th, 2016, 8:37 am

Yesterday I made gluten free focaccia. I thought it was really nice. Both boys ate it (so it must've been alright!) Mr Hope commented "If that's good by gluten free standards, I feel sorry for you!" :o :? Well I liked it anyway. He said he'd eat it again, though!
Hope
Registered

Postby Mamta » April 5th, 2016, 8:45 am

Opened this thread after a while; those baguettes do look good :hungry: . I have given up on them now, too much flour wasted!
Lemon juice; if sugar is not a problem, you can make always make Lemon syrup for making lemonade.
Made a few sultana rolls and a loaf yesterday after a long while. It was nice to have home-made bread :)
Mamta
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Bakers Oven