Fig jam?

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Fig jam?

Postby KC2 » September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Hello there
I noticed that they were selling trays of figs for £4.00 at the market today - there were about 24 figs a box.

I didn't get them but having come home I am thinking about going back for them and trying my hand at fig preserve/jam.
They were also selling 4 figs for £1.00, which I got to have with fresh crusty bread and serrano ham.

There are various recipes on the web but if anyone has their own t & t it would be great if you'd share it please :chef:

Thank you!
KC2
Registered

Re: Fig jam?

Postby Zosherooney » September 18th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Not sure this will help, but fig oriented...... in the welcome pack in our room in Corsica there was a jar of fig jam, it came home with us for later :chops:

We did have a fig tart one evening for dessert, the figs were from the garden and had dried out in the oven, I think they would have benefited from some sort of syrup for the cooking. It was very quiet while everyone was chewing and eating, the figs were very chewed and a bit treacle like.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 18th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Zosherooney wrote:
We did have a fig tart one evening for dessert, the figs were from the garden and had dried out in the oven, I think they would have benefited from some sort of syrup for the cooking. It was very quiet while everyone was chewing and eating, the figs were very chewed and a bit treacle like.....

:lol: :lol:

What a nice welcome pack - have you eaten the jam yet? Some friends gave us a jar of fig jam they'd brought back from their place in France a few years ago and it was absolutely delicious!
KC2
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 18th, 2017, 6:59 pm

I can offer you a nice Fig chutney if you`re interested...
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby aero280 » September 18th, 2017, 9:01 pm

I like fig jam, it's the only way I can enjoy eating goat's cheese!! :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » September 18th, 2017, 10:31 pm

i would have bought the tray full, stuffed my face and to hell with the consequences!
scullion
Registered

Postby MariaKK » September 19th, 2017, 7:58 am

This old thread might be useful if you can still get one - or even two !! - of those trays.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13395&p=366894&hilit=Figs#p366894

The figs in vinegar / spices were very good - and keep well.

For some reason no cheap figs around here this year - alas.
MariaKK
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 19th, 2017, 8:23 am

I have not enjoyed fresh figs whenever I have tried them but am interested in following this thread as I saw some being sold cheap at a market last week. I can imagine fig chutney would be delicious!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 19th, 2017, 9:51 am

scullion wrote:i would have bought the tray full, stuffed my face and to hell with the consequences!

:lol: :lol:

Karadekoolaid, fig chutney sounds like a lovely idea, yes please!

MariaKK, thanks for the link, it does indeed work.

I'll definitely get a tray next time I'm there, if they're still available ....
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm

I went back to the market this morning and got a tray of 22 figs for £3.50.

I couldn't decide on jam or chutney but I have looked at various recipes and think I'm going to go with this one for jam: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/easy-fi ... bb05c20734

I hope I don't have a problem with the dreaded setting point (I make marmalade every year and never seem to master it!!) - this recipe doesn't even mention it unlike some of the others! There were also some that either added pectin or used sugar with added pectin but I never feel the consistency is quite right. I've found it can get quite solid.

Watch this space ...
KC2
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 21st, 2017, 11:13 am

Here's my friend's recipe, she's known for the accuracy of her jam recipes: http://www.fabfood4all.co.uk/simple-fig-jam/
Kavey
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2017, 4:30 pm

Thanks so much Kavey, I had already started the other recipe but they're actually very similar - both involve macerating the fruit and sugar at room temp overnight. Your friend's recipe uses 1.2 kg figs and 2 small lemons, mine used 1 kg figs and 1 lemon. Not sure if I should add some more lemon juice and skin or just leave it as is. Maybe the 2nd lemon helps it to set? I don't know.
Anyway, it's cooking now so I'll see what happens ...
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 21st, 2017, 6:20 pm

Fig jam now duly made :D
I haven't tasted it yet as we had such a fab lunch today (at the Harwood Arms, a local gastro pub with one Michelin star http://www.harwoodarms.com/) that I don't think I can eat anything else until tomorrow!
The daily lunch menu (£24.50 2 courses, £29.50 for 3) was amazing: Charred Cornish mackerel with seaweed, mustard, pickled cucumber and watercress, followed by Herb fed chicken with sweetcorn pancakes, chestnut mushrooms and lemon thyme served with amazingly delicious smashed crispy roasties with thyme, and lemon curd doughnuts with Earl Grey cream. It was a postponed lunch to celebrate our son's MA a few months ago. We couldn't eat all the doughnuts - there were 5 in a portion - so we have brought a doggie back back with the ones we couldn't finish!
Would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a nice meal in Fulham! Apparently the Sunday lunches are fantastic, you have to book several weeks in advance.
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 22nd, 2017, 1:40 pm

Somehow missed this thread.

I just can't visualise buying figs and the trees in the yard just drip the things. My recipe is simplicity in itself. Wash and cut up 1 kg figs and mix with 1 kg jam sugar (the sort containing pectin) Leave overnight. Next day bring to boil slowly making sure the sugar has all dissolved before it boils then boil at high heat for 6 minutes. Take off heat and test - it will be at setting point then put into hot steralised jars and seal, never fails

As Aero says essential addition to a goat cheese platter.

Hope your jam turns out well and the meal sounds wonderful.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 26th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Somehow missed this thread.

I just can't visualise buying figs and the trees in the yard just drip the things. My recipe is simplicity in itself. Wash and cut up 1 kg figs and mix with 1 kg jam sugar (the sort containing pectin) Leave overnight. Next day bring to boil slowly making sure the sugar has all dissolved before it boils then boil at high heat for 6 minutes. Take off heat and test - it will be at setting point then put into hot steralised jars and seal, never fails

As Aero says essential addition to a goat cheese platter.

Hope your jam turns out well and the meal sounds wonderful.

Thanks! The jam is very good indeed but I wish I hadn't used the recipe from Taste Australian.com but seen Kavey's first, as I used a vanilla pod, which is great for jam but not so sure about having it with a goat's cheese platter ... If I see them again I'll leave out the vanilla next time!

I love the sound of your fig trees!!! :hungry: :hungry:

That said, one of my friends who lives near Bath said she's had a bumper year for figs - not sure about them quite dripping off the tree though!!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 1st, 2017, 4:57 pm

A bit late to the party but I have a good fig chutney recipe if you're interested.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 1st, 2017, 9:31 pm

Seatallan wrote:A bit late to the party but I have a good fig chutney recipe if you're interested.

Thanks - yes please. They weren't selling trays at the market yesterday and we went quite late in the day as well, but didn't see any bargains at all.

But but I guess they may have some in again next week ...!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 2nd, 2017, 8:44 am

KC2 we finally opened our Corsican jar recently, it was very good, a bit too sweet for me but nice for a change. I think it would be better with a little lavender added.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » December 2nd, 2017, 12:41 pm

Zosherooney wrote:KC2 we finally opened our Corsican jar recently, it was very good, a bit too sweet for me but nice for a change. I think it would be better with a little lavender added.

Yum, ours is all but finished now! And we never saw any more trays at the market, unfortunately.
KC2
Registered

Return to The Larder