Pickles/Ferments

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Pickles/Ferments

Postby Zosherooney » March 9th, 2018, 10:15 pm

Some lovely sounding and easy stuff here... I shall be giving some of them a go next week...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... f-the-best
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Pickles/Ferments

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 10th, 2018, 7:57 am

Thanks for posting Zosh. I've never heard of a ferment before. Sauerkraut, yes, but alternatives with ingredients other than cabbage, no. Would be interested to hear from you which ones worked well. I will bear these recipes in mind next time I have an abundance of veg available. I often find myself with more carrots than I know what to do with!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 10th, 2018, 9:53 am

This is very fashionable, it has cropped up on the Food Programme recently, supposed to be healthy source of healthy probiotics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnx3/topics/Fermentation

The guru seems to be guy called Sandor Katz who has written books, there's also a woman called Dearbhla Reynolds who Ive heard on the radio and has books branded The Cultured Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dearbhla+reynolds&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=225313872440&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5878947899257890227&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046004&hvtargid=aud-433705568154:kwd-193543224320&ref=pd_sl_17gzob8l9r_e

Two things:
I wish the author of the Guardian article had used a dictionary and not referred to all the pickles as "krauts" which means herb in German (sauerkraut literally means angry herb)

Ironically all the pickkes in my local Polski Sklep, that were traditionally fermented, are now pickled in brine abd vinegar and most bear a label saying this is healthier as mire hygienic :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 10th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Sue, thanks for the links, I will look at when I am not so tired..... I did try the dishes of 'brined' veg at Yalla Yalla today as I think we all did, we were so busy chatting but hungry as well and that was all that was on the table....!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 12th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Well, I've started the celeriac ferment
I shredded into small julienne as shown inthe picture, using a food processor, so dead easy. I left the peel on the apple as she didn't specify and it actually shreds better
It was surprisingly easy to get the brine to form, I suppose that was the apple juice
It nearly filled a 1 litre jar (another thing she couldn't be bothered to specify)

I'm tempted to go and cross-examine her as her cafe is only a 20 minute walk from here :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2018, 11:12 am

No sign of fermentation at all after three weeks, so I've chucked it.
Not sure what the problem was, too sterile, too much salt? Possibly a bit of both
Will try again sometime
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Larder