Pickled Walnuts

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Pickled Walnuts

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2018, 9:59 am

This is on my list for this summer. I have a tree in the orchard and last year the tree produced about 10 nuts - the squirrel had them all, in spite of wrapping the trunk of the tree in slippery plastic bottle sections to try and stop the squirrel.

This year there are about 60 nuts

So the plan is to pick them early and pickle them - I doubt the squirrel will be interested in them until September-ish. This is the recipe I am thinking of using....http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11737/pi ... lnuts.aspx

Has anyone here pickled their own walnuts ? Any hints tips or advice ??
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Pickled Walnuts

Postby Seatallan » June 10th, 2018, 11:35 am

Never pickled my own but the recipe looks good Zosh. I love pickled walnuts and if I had access to a walnut tree I'd certainly give it a whirl. Do let us know how it pans out won't you?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 10th, 2018, 1:14 pm

I've never pickled my own walnuts or even eaten them. Would be interested to know what you are going to use them for. An ex of mine was mad on them but I couldn't stand the look of them, all brainy! I'd try them now though! Good luck in harvesting your squirrel free nuts!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2018, 2:55 pm

They are nice cut in half and served with breads or crackers as an appetiser or with this particular recipe, they suggest with cheese or with pork. Opies do some but they are quite vinegary but I think this recipe will be a tad sweeter. I can imagine you could invent a recipe with some bland supermarket chicken.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 10th, 2018, 3:38 pm

There's a fantastic 'Two Fat Ladies' recipe for pheasant & walnut terrine that uses pickled walnuts. Mr S loves it and I not infrequently make it at Christmas. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Ooooo ! This gets even better ! What to do with the juice/marinade that the nuts were in before you finished them :chops: .... This https://monicawilde.com/pickled-walnuts-recipe/
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Never pickled my own (shades of Len Goodman) but I love them
With cheese, perhaps in a ploughman's lunch
With a nice coarse pate de campagne or other charcuterie
To help down all that cold meat at Christmas
:hungry: :hungry: :hungry:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 10th, 2018, 10:12 pm

My only advice is to wear rubber gloves because it takes ages to get the stain off your hands. My sister made this mistake picking walnuts the day before her sister in laws wedding. It looked awful
Catherine
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 10th, 2018, 10:19 pm

I love pickled walnuts, my father was always given a jar at Christmas for a treat.

I have in the back of my mind that by 'young' it means that the outer skin has to be soft and green without the shell having been allowed to form. Friends in the USA had a black walnut tree and I always wondered how well they would pickle.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2018, 4:53 am

Yes you have to pick them before the shells harden so that you can push a darning needle right through them
I have pickled walnuts in the past ... think I probably got the recipe from the Farmers Weekly :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » June 11th, 2018, 7:25 am

I love 'em. I have eaten home-made (from someone else's home) but they were more vinegary than Opie's. Also the ones sold in delis or GCs with the 'handwritten' white labels can be a bit sharp too.

There used to be another brand, more famous for other things, sold lovely walnuts in bigger jars, but it was years ago and I can't quite remember who. Haywards, perhaps? It's Opie's only for me these days, as that's all I see, but would happily try other brands.

I love them with cold pies and cold cuts - get a hammering at Christmas with ham and goose. Great with pheasant, turkey, chicken. They're also good with fish & chips, particularly with rock eel. The Blessed Delia has got a recipe with them added to a stew. Years before that was published I was adding the leftover vinegar to rich stews of venison or beef shin (wasn't going to put the walnuts themselves in :D ) - I would certainly recommend that, too.

Yes they are all brainy! Pecans, walnuts, brains, all delicious.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2018, 7:38 am

I meant to say, I love them too ... I used to have a standing order at the Farm Shop for several jars as soon as they arrived in the autumn ... where am I going to get them from now? :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 11th, 2018, 8:09 am

Ooh I’d love a walnut tree! When we were househunting in France there was a house with several. Tempting... ( but it was a semi rennove) I can imagine squirrels must be a huge problem.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

We found crows were the worst problem ... not only do they steal them ... life can be dangerous when they open them http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/blogs/mirand ... eways.aspx :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2018, 9:09 am

Badger's mate wrote:There used to be another brand, more famous for other things, sold lovely walnuts in bigger jars, but it was years ago and I can't quite remember who. Haywards, perhaps? It's Opie's only for me these days, as that's all I see, but would happily try other brands.

I think Haywards, I used to buy them, but Googling doesn't turn them up so I guess long gone :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 12th, 2018, 2:20 am

I love pickled walnuts, but it must be at least 20 years since I last ate one!
I´m sure they have to be green for pickling - so the squirrels won´t get a look in, Zosh.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » June 12th, 2018, 10:58 am

I've never made them but love them in a steak and Stilton pie.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » June 12th, 2018, 10:59 am

I've never made them but love them in a steak and Stilton pie
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 12th, 2018, 11:30 am

I found a nice looking pickled walnut and mushroom stroganoff recipe online the other day which looked yummy but for the life of me I can't find it now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 17th, 2018, 6:26 am

Checking the walnut tree recently - just like most trees, natures wastage has taken its toll. There are fewer nuts swelling now, the smaller 'double' bracts have kept only one and the ground below the tree has evidence of the failed fruit. Might be only one jar now...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » June 17th, 2018, 10:01 am

the weather's been rather dry - it's not surprising that there's been fruit drop.
i've only once tried pickled walnuts - when i was seven or eight, at an aunts house. i thought i was going to be sick! maybe i should try some with a more mature palate.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 17th, 2018, 11:02 am

Yes, I can imagine they would be a tad severe on a childs palate...... Defo adult flavours. When I was first introduced to them - prob. in my 20's the girlfriend had just returned from a holiday in Greece, told me she had brought them back from holiday and they were a delicacy there - they were pickled donkey bollocks !!!!! :sprout: :sprout: :sprout: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 17th, 2018, 12:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :sprout:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 28th, 2018, 6:05 pm

Just having checked the size of them, I think they are nearly there sizewise. I shall be borrowing the builders ladder over the w\e to collect them and start the first part of the process.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 29th, 2018, 12:35 am

:bounce: Enjoy!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2018, 9:15 am

I have brough back some walnut liqueur from Sorrento, made by soaking green walnuts in 90% alcohol for a week then letting it down to 30% alcohol with sugar and water

Anyway, the point is that the makers say the green walnuts must be picked on or before San Giovanni on 24 June but I guess you'd get an extra week this far north

The green walnuts were quite big

Interestingly they make limoncello the same way, and it only takes 5 days in 90% alcohol to extract all the flavour and colour from the zest, cut in long thin strips
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Larder