[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Compotes, Jams etc.

Compotes, Jams etc.

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Compotes, Jams etc.

Postby Zosherooney » July 20th, 2017, 2:08 pm

It's a science ! Bubbling on the stove - hopefully will be an apricot, lime zest and ginger jam. I am not at all keen on over sweet preserves or anything sweet for that matter. Which is why I try and cut down on the sugar but just enough to keep it for a while !

Next on the agenda is a bucket of pears but I fancy adding something spicy to it.... Chilli, cinnamon or something aromatic.... Since making chilli cherry jam I am leaning towards sweet/savoury on toast for brekkie...
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Compotes, Jams etc.

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2017, 2:24 pm

The muffins with cardamom look good.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/pear-recipes.html
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 20th, 2017, 2:27 pm

I found pears go a bit mushy if jammed or chutneyd, but there's nothing to beat spiced pickled pears with cold cuts http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/pickledpears_93088
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 20th, 2017, 2:41 pm

Cor Suff, that sounds delish :chops: I suppose cold pork would go well with it as well. :chef:

Thanks to Mr. Z I have enough cakey stuff to last for a while Tezza, but will keep them in mind for later.

Thought I might research a Perry recipe? :cocktail: :cocktail:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 20th, 2017, 3:28 pm

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 20th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Nah! perry is too much faff. I have some turkey mince which will be turned into meatballs and there is a recipe for meatballs with tomato and pear sauce.

Enough pears to feed the rest of Wiltshire !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 7th, 2018, 6:21 pm

We opened our container of pickled pears today to go with the last lump of Polish spam and very nice they were too. I shall make those again next Autumn. :chops: Thanks Suff for the pointer. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm

:chops: :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 9th, 2018, 9:42 pm

I bought some of this from M&S before Christmas. Seems to have been discontinued now. It is gorgeous. I'd love to try and recreate it.

https://cravedlondon.com/products/smoky ... -marmalade

(or just buy some more :) they have some other interesting flavours to inspire preserve makers.)
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 27th, 2018, 5:31 pm

I was not sure where to post this - here or the courgette thread. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/courgette-conserve Has anyone tried this or anything similar ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 28th, 2018, 10:24 am

It looks lovely Zosh! I would certainly give it a go. I've made marrow jam, which isn't dissimilar. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Cheers Sea. I have an abundance of limes ATM so will use their zest.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby MariaKK » July 31st, 2018, 1:32 pm

Zosh, not Compotes but Kompot.
You must have had this in Poland - a home made stewed fruit drink especially popular in the summer made with gluts of whatever fruit's going. I like red fruit best - plums,cherries, berries etc Like making a veg stock but using fruit instead of veg - Just simmer long and slow till you get the a flavour you like.

Can also be bottled for the long winter months - see here

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11905&p=303735&hilit=Kompot#p303735

ATB
Marja
MariaKK
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 15th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Thanks Maria, Have only just seen this..... So are you saying that it is a drink and not stewed fruit in its own juice that we have with rice pudding or custard or yoghurt ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 29th, 2019, 6:26 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/food/shortc ... in-spreads

From one of the comments at the bottom of this article....

Elderberries help with chestiness, I add them into my bramble jelly. I use red crab apples for my chilli jam, tho it’s a jelly really, not a jam. I also use crabapples mixed with the sloes from my sloe gin. Sloe gin jelly is delicious.

Today for my brekkie I had porridge with chilli jelly and P nut butter....... surprisingly good.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Larder