Mulberry Jam/Jelly

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Mulberry Jam/Jelly

Postby earthmaiden » July 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm

I planted two dwarf mulberry trees after they appeared at Chelsea a couple of years ago (I think Suffs planted one too). This year they are heaving with luscious fruit. I have never had them before, they are nice but quite messy to pick and I think I might make jam with them. It won't yield much but enough to give a few small jars to people.

Because the middle stalk seems hard to prise from the fruit, unless one is standing in the garden using one's teeth, I think to cook with stems etc and then strain to make a jelly might be the best thing in the long run. I have been reading up and can't decide if there will be enough pectin. I often use pectin infused sugar for berry jam such as strawberry but if it is a fruit with plenty already it sets quite hard.

I saw a recipe for mulberry and lime jelly. I also have ripe gooseberries waiting to be picked, again, not a huge number but a nice bowlful. I wondered about gooseberry and mulberry but think, because mulberries are slightly unusual, I shouldn't mix them.

Has anyone any hints/comments?
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Mulberry Jam/Jelly

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 13th, 2019, 1:58 pm

I've never had a mulberry, what do they taste like ?
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 13th, 2019, 2:33 pm

I think blackberries are probably nearest. Sweet but not a deep flavour like some berries. The berries are very fragile which make it hard to separate from the stem without squashing them - you end up with juice all over your fingers and it stains!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 13th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Yum! Love mulberries. As you say, EM, they're ideal fruit for jelly and jam and I agree- jelly is easier.

I think you'll be OK without the need for pectin infused sugar. I agree- stick with mulberry alone rather than mixing with any other fruit.

Sounds lovely! :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I think blackberries are probably nearest. Sweet but not a deep flavour like some berries. The berries are very fragile which make it hard to separate from the stem without squashing them - you end up with juice all over your fingers and it stains!

Thank you
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 13th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:I think blackberries are probably nearest. Sweet but not a deep flavour like some berries. The berries are very fragile which make it hard to separate from the stem without squashing them - you end up with juice all over your fingers and it stains!

Thank you

Yes I'd agree, EM, and add that they have a sort of lightness, almost fizziness? They almost explode in your mouth! I think it also depends whether you're talking about a white mulberry or a black mulberry. I grew up with a white mulberry tree in our garden - it was like a weeping willow, you could hide inside it, and I spent many happy hours there, also picking the leaves for our silkworms to munch on.
More than 50 years on, my recollections are of smallish fruit that weren't hugely juicy.

By comparison, I sampled some black mulberries last year at a friend's house in Somerset and the berries were completely different from the ones I remember from when I was little. Much juicier and larger. It wasn't a weeping tree.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2019, 11:00 pm

We had a black mulberry tree in the playground at school, left from the house previously on the site. It was gnarled old thing, must have been 70+ years old. The fruit was very juicy, and would fall from the tree with a splat

Sweet, nice to eat, but not a strong flavour as I remember it. I do remember being told you didn’t pick the fruit until it started to drop

I notice dried white mulberries in the shops, no idea what you do with them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

I have a dwarf mulberry too. It's not in a big pot. Had a few fruit but only to snack on.
Last edited by Herbidacious on July 14th, 2019, 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 10:05 am

We had a mulberry tree with leaves for silk worms at school too but I don't remember us eating the fruit. It probably ripened in the summer hols! Mine are black ones. The trees are not in pots and have to be kept in check in my tiny garden, I love them and really don't want to get rid of them. They are the size the blurb said they'd grow to so I hope it was right
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 10:17 am

Sorry if sideways - too hard to adjust using phone.
20190714_110644_resized.jpg
20190714_110710_resized.jpg
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2019, 10:40 am

Yes those look just like the big gnarly one I remember

Being such an old tree (thinking about it probably a lot older than 70 years, maybe even twice that) and on the south coast ours was probably quite early, and I do remember eating quite a lot of fruit

I’d recommend gloves unless you want to set a new manicure trend
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 6:31 pm

2lb 5oz of ripe fruit has been picked and made into jelly. Still some unripe left to pick at later date. Quite pleased as I hadn't really expected much fruit. I'm not sure it tastes of much and it is very sweet but it will be fine I'm sure.

Yes Sue, lethal on the fingers and kitchen and on the bottom of garden shoes :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2019, 9:14 am

My mulberry plant had somehow missed out on being watered while I was aaway and has wilted. Hopefully it will revive.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2019, 2:32 pm

Since posting in July, my dwarf mulberry trees have produced another crop of fruit. Because it's November, there's no chance of them ripening, they are currently the red/pink colour of some of the ones shown in the photo further back on this thread, have a slight crunch when bitten into and very little flavour although not unbearably sour.

Do you think they'd be good for anything? I'll pick them before we get a frost if so.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » November 3rd, 2019, 3:05 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Since posting in July, my dwarf mulberry trees have produced another crop of fruit. Because it's November, there's no chance of them ripening, they are currently the red/pink colour of some of the ones shown in the photo further back on this thread, have a slight crunch when bitten into and very little flavour although not unbearably sour.

Do you think they'd be good for anything? I'll pick them before we get a frost if so.

Someone really determined not to let them go to waste would probably pickle them.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » November 3rd, 2019, 3:51 pm

I'd have a crack at Mulberry Chutney if it were me.

This recipe looks nice....

https://www.sinamontales.com/spicy-appl ... ey-recipe/
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » November 3rd, 2019, 4:03 pm

Thanks Seatallen. I learned last time that the centres are so hard that jelly was the best option. The chutney looks as though it is made with nice sweet ripe ones but it would be worth a try, there aren't that many really and I've got some apples kicking around. For a spicy chutney there aren't many spices! I like ginger and chillies.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » November 3rd, 2019, 4:13 pm

I think unripe berries would work in a chutney. I make an elderberry & apple chutney sometimes (very similar recipe to the one I posted) and that works a treat.

I agree recipe could do with more spice. Worth a try (and then a tweak) I think.... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Larder