[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Freezing Seville oranges?

Freezing Seville oranges?

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Freezing Seville oranges?

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 4:36 pm

I planned to make some Seville orange marmalade this year (never tried it before). Unfortunately due to circumstances at the moment I don't have the time. Can I freeze the oranges, whole preferably, but I could find the time to do some prep - juice and shred the peel then freeze.

What do you think would be best or should I just forget it this year?

Thanks.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Re: Freezing Seville oranges?

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2020, 5:38 pm

i've prepped and frozen them before now - when i realised i didn't have enough jars to cope with the amount of oranges i'd bought. it worked fine.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Thomasina Miers also says you can - not that Scully's word needs back up. (I plan to make her 5 sugar marmalade this weekend, so was looking at her recipe.)

I wish I had room in my freezer for oranges!
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Just chuck then in the freezer whole. They'll be fine. I've made marmalade in September before now.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Oat » January 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Sounds good to me Pepper Pig :)
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm

I’m sure I’ve heard of folk throwing bags of Seville oranges in their freezer and making the marmalade months later. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Thanks folks.

I'll see if we come accross some tomorrow.

I don't eat marmalade but hubby does and I really fancy giving it a go.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 6:56 pm

I've not found any in the shops. Had to order them from Ocado. Should be coming in about 90 mins...
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 10th, 2020, 7:13 pm

Waitrose have them in abundance - they are 'reduced to clear' in my local store as they're not moving.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2020, 7:53 pm

Damn. I could have got more, but I am carless this weekend (I think.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 10th, 2020, 8:36 pm

slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 10:18 am

The ones that arrived are not very orange coloured :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 11th, 2020, 11:05 am

Herbi, they generally aren't. Sometimes they're quite greenish. It's the way they should be so don't worry (I'm a bit of a marmalade addict and haunt the local shops waiting for the Seville oranges to come in from Boxing Day onwards so I've seen a fair old few! :D )

As for freezing them- should be fine (whether whole or prepped). Have done it myself.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 11:33 am

I was hoping someeone would tell me that! Thank you!

Do they make marmalade in Seville, I wonder?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 11th, 2020, 5:37 pm

slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 6:49 pm

I bet Seville smells nice in the spring when the orange blossom is out. I've only been once, years ago, in summer.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I bet we get the duff (not very orange) ones exported to us in the UK...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 7:07 pm

Is there a marmalade recipe thread? I am getting nervous now about which one to do.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 11th, 2020, 8:16 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 11th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Thanks. The wrinkle test is my downfall. I know how to do it, what it's supposed to look like, yet still overcooked my marmalade last year, and jam last time I made it. It didn't seem to wrinkle. I was hoping to rely partly on a thermometer tomorrow.

I don't eat breakfast atl all, but my first batch of marmalade was so delicious... it lasted us over a year, although I only made 4 or 5 jars. I am very happy to have bread and jam in the evening from time to time. I could eat some right now. If all goes well, tomorrow... Will I jinx it if I got and get some nice bread tomorrow?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MariaKK » January 11th, 2020, 11:49 pm

MariaKK
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 9:35 am

I am slightly stuck at the first hurdle. I am using Thomasina Miers recipe in which she used 3kg of oragnes. I am gonig to use 1kg. She says halve the fruit then add 3 litres of water and bring to boil.

Do I use a third of the water as I am using a third of the fruit?! :terrified:

(I am thinking, no.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 9:57 am

I think as I have 2kg will make a Delia one first with 1kg. This is with some regret as I wanted to make a dark treacly one.

However if anyone has a link to Ian in France's recipe that would be good. (KC2 your link went to an Independant article.)

edit: got it
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby MariaKK » January 12th, 2020, 12:03 pm

MariaKK
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 12:28 pm

Yes, I found it in the end. Thanks, though!

It's a whole orange version, and I had already halved the oranges...

Might make something like this with my other bag :? They should keep till next weekend (I hope.)

I am currently sort of using the Felicity Cloake recipe with an eye on the River Cottage book recipe. Main difference is that the latter says to soak the shredded peel for 12-24 hours. Can't do 24 as have to go to work tomorrow. 12 is pushing it. So will just leave for a few hours.
First two oranges (shells) took at dismaying amount of time to shred, but thankfully my knife skills seemed to speed up exponentially. It was a bit painful on the thumb in the end, though. I thnk I injured the joint a few days ago carrying compost from the front of house into th back garden.
I could do with a sharper knife, but would have cut myself for sure.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 12th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 12th, 2020, 3:23 pm

KC2
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 4:54 pm

Well I have another kilo and maybe this first batch won't work anyway, so I can benefit from all your kind advice/recipe with the next batch. I do remember the whole orange method being horribly messy, but think perhaps the deeply flavoured nature of my successful (4 sugar) batch two years ago may also have been something to do with it been made by this method.

River Cottage book says to simmer the peel with the juice etc fro two hours in a covered pan. Decided to dimsiss this as unnecessary (as no lid or even frying pan that big) but then the liquid content seemed to be going down too fast. And then I remembered my wok lid :) (Not used for at least a decade, but remarkably I could find it. Three is method in my messyness.)

So... wrinkle test. Felicity says put the saucer with marmalade back in the freezer for a minute. I've not seen this before. I have my thermometer though too.

I am going to use a few different sugars, I think.

I am tempted to leave it all over night after boiling, but that's lazyness. I should crack on after the peel is cooked. I now need to find the stepladders to enable me to get the jars down from the top of the kitchen units.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » January 12th, 2020, 8:37 pm

My first Seville orange marmalade was made today.......it's shredless :o :D .

I followed Delia's recipe. After 2 and a half hours the peel shreds appeared to be soft but they obviously weren't. We ended up passing the marmalade through a sieve to get the slightly tough peel out. It's not the best looking preserve I've ever made, it's a bit cloudy, but it tastes lovely (even to me, a non marmalade eater). Hubby's looking forward to some on his toast tomorrow.

I know better for next year's batch, mind you we might prefer the shredless!
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 9:30 pm

It will be fine without shreds, I am sure!

Mine tastes good too, but last time I looked it was a bit on the liquid side. Hoping it will be less so when cool. I was worried that there wasn't enough liquid after boiling the pith and added some as one web site suggested. :? It made more than I expected, too :? :?

I may be asking for advice on here tomorrow.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 12th, 2020, 9:52 pm

Hmmm.

https://www.cocoaandheart.co.uk/blog/re ... alade.html

I took it off the heat at 104 as Felicity suggested. Wrinkle test - well still not sure what it's supposed to look like.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 13th, 2020, 8:45 am

It seems to have set over night. Phew! Can't wait to try!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 13th, 2020, 11:14 am

KC2
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 13th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Well done Herbi!! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 13th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Thanks. I have yet to try it yet. Bread and marmalade for dessert tonight!
Herbidacious
Registered

Return to The Larder