[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Kiwi Fruit Jam

Kiwi Fruit Jam

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Kiwi Fruit Jam

Postby Zosherooney » January 9th, 2014, 6:05 pm

I made jam today using KF. I also added, a touch of dried ginger and a few lavendar flowers. The result was delightful, so said Mr. Zosh. I still have 12 fruits that are not so ripe, might even make a KF cake later.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Kiwi Fruit Jam

Postby Seatallan » January 11th, 2014, 2:25 pm

That sounds lovely as well as unusual. I had never considered KF jam.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 12th, 2014, 10:11 am

Kiwis are not disimilar to gooseberries in flavour. They make a great marinade. I have some octopus sitting in a bath of sliced kiwis in the fridge for another meal sometime.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 12th, 2014, 10:57 am

Do KF have a decent amount of pectin to set the jam?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 12th, 2014, 9:14 pm

Hi ~Earth, I had to add lemming juice.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » January 12th, 2014, 10:25 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2014, 9:19 am

There are several recipes online if you google Kiwi fruit jam - most recipes contain some citrus fruit content as well as the kiwis; some use added pectin, some recommend using very ripe kiwi fruit as that is when the will contain most pectin - however every recipe I've looked at recommends freezing the result or keeping in the fridge and using within a month.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2014, 10:34 am

Well, Zosh seems to have had results with just KF, lemon, ginger and lavender anyway! I'm longing for her to let us know what the consistency was like.

Whilst I like KF, I do find they sometimes have a sort of metallic taste so I'm quite curious about how this tastes - can see that gooseberry might be the the closest. We did always call them Chinese Gooseberries before the title of Kiwi fruit became popular after all!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 13th, 2014, 12:55 pm

I have two jars and there was a tablespoon left over, Mr Zosh had that a few days ago on some toast. It was not totally 'set' but it was thickish. If I tip a jar, it does 'move'.

Earth, I tend to agree with you about the metallic type taste, one reason I added ginger and the smallest amount of lavendar. I still have 7 fruits to use. Still trying to make a cake with some of them.http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/K ... ake-346319 Might try this one.

Octopus is steeping in a pool of kiwifruit as per http://forum.chefsteps.com/discussion/6 ... ng-octopus 13th comment down.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2014, 10:06 am

I had another dozen KF's to use up last week and decided to do KF and ginger preserve. Got it all going - bubbling away then the DWP phoned and an hour later, when I got off the call :evil: It was very thick and caramelised. I wondered if it was worth saving but having tried it out on Mr Z and he lives to tell me that it is a very concentrated flavour like a KF marmalade.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 31st, 2015, 3:45 pm

i picked the remaining fruit on my mothers vine a couple of weeks ago and made recipe for kiwi fruit jam. i had half a pound or more fruit than the recipe called for but kept the other ingredients as per the recipe. i also simmered it for quite a bit longer than the recipe said as it wasn't the usual consistency (or setting point) for finished jam after the time mentioned in the recipe.
it was/is really lovely, very much like ordinary, (as opposed to chinese - aka kiwi) gooseberry jam.
i didn't do the pasteurising of the finished jam pots as i thought that i'd probably cooked the jam and sterilised the jars enough, - and anyway, the jam isn't going to stay around long enough.
if the cuttings of the vines i have taken from the parent plants take, there will be more of this jam made, if not, i may have to invest in some plants.

ps the constancy was just right. it jelled very nicely, not runny not toffee-ish.

pps . i have just noticed - why did my computer change that to constancy when i wrote consistency?
Last edited by scullion on January 31st, 2015, 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 31st, 2015, 5:12 pm

Sounds lovely Scullion :chops: . I'm sure there would be no need to pasteurise the jars.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 31st, 2015, 6:34 pm

that's what i thought; there was still enough sugar and cooking done to make pasteurising superfluous.
i do recommend it. the one disappointment is that the lurid green of the kiwis changes to the more khaki of gooseberry.
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » January 31st, 2015, 10:53 pm

Rainbow
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 3rd, 2015, 2:48 pm

Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 22nd, 2015, 7:02 pm

there is a big problem with the jam - it doesn't keep very well.

i gave a jar to my brother, my daughter ran off with a jar and the rest has been eaten, and i've had to make some more with bought kiwis (lidl had them at 15p each last week).
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 23rd, 2015, 9:39 am

:lol:

I might just have to make some but I really should make some more mango chutney next. I'm about to start my last jar and I'm slightly addicted to it. :chops:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » February 15th, 2020, 10:02 am

maybe this and the new kiwi jam thread could be united?
scullion
Registered

Return to The Larder