Marmalade question

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Marmalade question

Postby patpoyntz » January 20th, 2017, 11:39 pm

Just making marmalade (oranges arrive late up here!) as I do every year. Looking in my 'jam cupboard' I have found a few jars of marmalade from, I think, 2 years ago. They are very dark in colour, and as I like a pale marmalade, I know they have darkened in storage. They are still properly sealed, and my cupboard is dark and cool, they smell and, I think, taste ok. So, is this normal, and will they be OK to maybe cook with...I'm thinking steamed puddings. I have not had this before, but I don't usually have left overs. I think this happened when my Dad died and I no longer had to do his years supply.
Many thanks for any advice from the jam experts on here.
patpoyntz
Registered

Re: Marmalade question

Postby scullion » January 20th, 2017, 11:46 pm

yeah, it's normal, mine gets darker with age if i leave it (also in a cool dark place). it's still fine to cook with - or on toast, no problem.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 21st, 2017, 7:20 am

Yes I agree - we have some from a few years ago that is heading for mahogany in colour - still perfectly fine to use :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » January 21st, 2017, 9:52 am

Thanks, good to know it's ok. Will make the 3 Chimneys mamalade pudding tonight.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 21st, 2017, 11:21 am

Lovely! :chops: :chops: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2018, 5:10 pm

I'm putting this here as I did not want to start a new thread and it is classed as a M'lade.

ONION, PORT AND THYME MARMALADE
A recipe from a great new book from Kyle Cathie, chock full of delicious ideas for preserving food, called Jam. Jelly and Relish (£16.99) by Ghillie James: onion marmalade – a cook’s essential ingredient, adding a real fillip to cold meats and sausages, as well as depth to sauces and stews.
Thinly slice 1kg/2¼ lb onions and fry gently for 35 minutes in four tablespoons of olive oil, with a teaspoon of sea salt, and two heaped tablespoons of chopped, fresh thyme. Once soft, add 110g/4oz dark soft sugar, three tablespoons each of balsamic and white wine vinegar, and two each of redcurrant jelly and port. Add a good grind of black pepper, bring slowly to the boil and cook for 10 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
This recipe makes about 800ml/24fl oz of marmalade, so spoon the mixture into several jam jars, which have been warmed and sterilised, and then seal. Squirrelled away in your larder, they will keep for about a year. Try this marmalade mixed in mustard and beef consommé gravy and pour over sausages and mash.

Sounds lush :chops: :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » June 10th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Zosh, you're very naughty, encouraging me to buy another book (2nd hand mind you) :D .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 10th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Sorry !
Zosherooney
Registered

Return to The Larder