saurkraut/kimchee

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

saurkraut/kimchee

Postby Hope » February 27th, 2017, 11:44 am

Have any of you ever made either of these and can you give me a T%T method/recipe? I'd love to try making it for all the good bacteria (and I love saurkraut, although never had kimchee!) I'm always really worried about home made preserves incase it goes wrong!
Hope
Registered

Re: saurkraut/kimchee

Postby scullion » February 27th, 2017, 12:38 pm

i have the jars and the cabbage and just lack the courage to start - just in case i poison us. i have had a book on fermented foods for over a year but still haven't kicked myself into doing it yet. each time the cabbage gets eaten in another recipe.
i suppose we should both just take the leap!
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » February 27th, 2017, 1:08 pm

I'm not the only one who's scared then! Is it easy and obvious to tell it's gone wrong/right?

I have lots of jars, but no cabbage as it's not something I can usually stomach!

I'm three days into making kefir too, but not actually drank any of it yet! (first two batches were to get the grains going, so I am sort of excused!)
Hope
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2017, 1:24 pm

If Food Network ever shows Judy Joo's Korean Food Made Simple again there is one episode where she visits a Korean garden dedicated to fermented and pickled foods. it looks like an oriental garden full of decorative pots but they aren't just decoration, they are all full of kimchi and soy sauce etc.quietly fermenting away

Fascinating and beautiful
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Something like this, but it was a prettier garden

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Hope » March 4th, 2017, 11:08 am

I've ordered a cabbage in my groceries delivery next week. Just need to find a recipe...

My kefir is coming along nicely.
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2017, 11:27 am

talking of fermented food, i think my vinegar mother is an alcoholic. i decided to decant some vinegar yesterday and didn't get as much as i thought i would so thought it might be a good idea to see why. it seems she was busy reproducing - as i separated off about ten, thick, old mothers. she obviously liked the sweet white stuff i've been feeding her. there may be a lesson about the influence of alcohol in there, somewhere.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » March 4th, 2017, 11:30 am

Vinegar mother? That's a new one on me. Do you make your own vinegar then? (my dad used to do that, but he was trying to make wine!)
Hope
Registered

Postby scullion » March 4th, 2017, 12:10 pm

yes, ian sent me some of his a couple of years ago.
i've been changing some of it over to white wine vinegar slowly but the mother that that produced seems to have a voracious appetite for eiswein, i had some old bottles but i'm going to drink it instead of giving it to her - she's too much of a lush - i'll get her a bottle of hirondel (is that still made?) instead.
i also have to use some of her daughters/ancestors to re-start the red wine ones i had, which seem to have been attacked by fungus. i've had to sterilise their jars and have opened a bottle of red to start them off again - not for me - just for them - really.
merlot produces a lovely vinegar.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 23rd, 2017, 6:29 am

Scull, that sounds fascinating...... do tell us more?....

When I started reading, I thought you were saying that your mother was an alcoholic !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 24th, 2017, 12:31 am

Personally, I wouldn`t worry too much about fermented food items. Rotten? Yes. Properly fermented? No.
After all, we regularly consume fermented curds ( cheese), flour (bread), pickles, corned beef, sauerkraut, yoghurt, and a multitude of other fermentations. 8-)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Larder