All things Nectarine

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

All things Nectarine

Postby Zosherooney » June 28th, 2018, 6:10 pm

I have a large kilner jar of N, jam with a hint of vanilla. I suspect it may be a cross between a jam and a compote. I had a qty. of lemon pips that I tied in a rag to help it thicken.

I also have constructed 3 jars of spiced N. Sliced N. into jars and a mix of vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves. I added a chilli and some cardamon and a little salt. I wanted it for meat and cheese predominantly.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: All things Nectarine

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 28th, 2018, 6:51 pm

I absolutely love them , baked with a little amaretto , the hollow filled with creme fraiche and toasted flaked almonds on top
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 2nd, 2018, 4:52 pm

OH couldn't resist 2 punnets of nectarines at the market for £1.50 - not surprisingly, they are incredibly hard, but there must be at least 20 of them. Not sure if there's anything nice to do with them when they're like this or if we just wait for them to ripen in the fruit bowl? With this weather it may go quite quickly!

Any (simple and straightforward - it's too damn hot for complicated!) ideas gratefully received!

Cheers!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 2nd, 2018, 5:54 pm

What a bargain KC2! There's something very pleasing about having a huge bowl of nectarines in the fridge during a heatwave. :tu:

I love them in a crumble with strawberries. :hungry: In this weather with vanilla ice cream. :drool:

Enjoy your nectarines Zosh! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 6:23 pm

We used nectarines instead of peaches yesterday for our lunch of https://www.kitchentreaty.com/grilled-h ... ach-salad/

Absolutely delicious ... we both loved it and will do it again very soon.

I didn't have any rocket so I made a salad of baby chard leaves, with chopped fresh herbs (parsley, chives and mint) and I used ordinary balsamic :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 2nd, 2018, 7:12 pm

I love grilled halloumi! Gorgeous idea. Suffs, I imagine you grew your own chard and herbs?
Like the idea of a nectarine crumble as well, Tezza, but will probably have to wait until they can be cut / stoned! I have a feeling there's a Nigel Slater crumble variant that he uses nectarines and bananas in, as well as apples and pears.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 7:27 pm

Yes, we're hardly buying any veg at the moment :D

And of course, there's this https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ogurt-cake :chef:

One of my favourites ... I copy an idea of Suelle's and combined nectarines and rasperries and arranged them neatly on the base so it looks much more attractive than the one in the pic.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 2nd, 2018, 7:31 pm

Ah, great idea for stoned fruit past its best ... mine have a long way to go to get there :lol:
KC2
Registered

Return to The Larder