[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Getting addicted to making preserves!

Getting addicted to making preserves!

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Getting addicted to making preserves!

Postby sueturnersmith » October 7th, 2011, 7:43 pm

I haven't made any preserves for a few years, but recently bought Pam Corbin's River Cottage Preserves book and decided to have another go.

So far I have made Chilly Jelly, Piccalilli, Pickled Shallots, and today I made some Hearty Ale Chutney.

What do you think I should make next?
I'm as old as my tongue and a little bit older than my teeth!
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Re: Getting addicted to making preserves!

Postby suffolk » October 7th, 2011, 7:55 pm

When I lived in a very rural village, following the Harvest Festival the fruit and veg donated to decorate the church would be sold off one morning at the church gate to raise money for a children's charity. I would buy loads of marrows, onions, tomatoes, runner beans and whatever else there was available and make what I called Harvest Festival Chutney.

I weighed the amount of each fruit/veg I used, and used a basic chutney recipe to work out the proportions of fruit/veg to sugar and vinegar, and each year I experimented with the spicing to go with the flavours of the other ingredients. I made enough chutney for a jar each to friends and familiy at Christmas and to go in lunchtime sandwiches for a year. :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby tezza » October 8th, 2011, 4:19 pm

I have been flicking through the autumn section of 'Jam, Jelly & Relish' by Ghillie James and rather fancy making the Brambly Hedge Jelly. 1kg each of whole cooking apples, blackberries & sugar, simmered together for about 25 minutes then strained through a jelly bag for 6 hours. Measure the liquid back into a pan and heat until just coming to a boil, then add 450g sugar for every 600ml juice. Stir to dissolve then reduce the heat and leave at a rolling boil until setting point is reached.

I feel a blackberry picking Sunday coming on. :D
tezza
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2011, 6:28 am

Have you still got blackberries your way? Ours are finished - and anyway you're not supposed to pick blackberries after Michaelmas as the Devil spits on them at Michaelmas which is 29th September ;) :lol:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » October 9th, 2011, 7:03 am

I used to make loads of stuff but since the downsize am limited to just marmalade in bulk and then odd jars of lemon curd as and when needed. I simply don't have the storage space any longer. However, generous friends keep me supplied with chutney - I only get through about two or three jars a year. I have some of Sloe Gin's carrot and garlic chutney brought down to Kavey's party last week by MaryJ waiting to be opened at the moment.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby tezza » October 9th, 2011, 8:12 am

tezza
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » October 9th, 2011, 9:24 am

Here in Worcestershire the locals say that the devil p****s on the blackberries on Michaelmas Day!
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » October 9th, 2011, 9:33 am

Getting addicted? I've been an addict for >20 years me dears.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby amazing » October 9th, 2011, 6:08 pm

I picked some brambles (blackberries) this afternoon, will make a jelly with them with some other stuff. Maybe rowan and rose hips and apple. I have already made some wildberry jelly but feel you can't have enough.
I also bought some veg at the farm shop today, white cabbage, red cabbage and beetroot.
Will pickle them all.
Thought about using my little scoop for beetroot balls for pressie, in little jars and just chopping up the excess for us.
White cabbage is going in Apple Vinegar and red cabbage in Raspberry Vinegar and Bramble (blackberry) Vinegar.
Can't wait to do it.
Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
(Edith Sitwell)
amazing
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » October 10th, 2011, 6:17 pm

I'll surprise you all and say I love pickles and chutneys, but, as I make them for a living, I cannot eat them. I can think of new ideas and test them to destruction, but after that, I sample each batch and then that's it.
I occasionally make a small batch of chutney for us, but it is small and hub usually eats it in his sandwiches. People say they envy my job. They say they's be pickled pink if they made chutneys!!

Sue, make whatever your heart (and hub) desires. It'll be fantastic.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Kavey » October 14th, 2011, 10:07 am

I first made preserves for that stall I did in Covent Garden, for fun, that one off one in 2009. I hadn't done any before, but had watched mum when I was small. http://www.kaveyeats.com/2009/07/chutne ... alade.html

Since then I've become completely addicted, to the extent that Pete has to stop me now, citing lack of space in the larder/ cupboards and a one out one in policy!

Here are some recipes from my blog:

Pear & Ginger Chutney: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/11/rather ... -pear.html
PIckled Gherkins: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/07/pickle ... -thee.html
Lychee & Rosewater Jam and also Apricot Jam: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/02/jammin ... carla.html
Hot, Sweet, Sour, Tangy Lemon Pickle: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/04/hot-sw ... ickle.html
Tamarind Ketchup: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/03/lipsma ... tchup.html
Hot Chilli & Ginger Pickle: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/03/hot-ch ... ickle.html
Spicy Green Tomato Ketchup: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/02/spicy- ... tchup.html
Green Tomato & Raisin Chutney: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2009/10/green- ... utney.html
Mango & Lime Jam: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2009/10/mango-lime-jam.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » October 18th, 2011, 8:25 am

I can confirm that Sloe Gin's carrot and garlic chutney is even better than Sophie Grigson's! Thank you Ann for making it and thank you MaryJ for bringing it to London for me.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » October 18th, 2011, 4:17 pm

What an honour, FCQ. Thank you so, so much!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Marmalade » October 19th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Marmalade
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 20th, 2011, 8:30 am

Always pick the higher up ones :D avoids residue of fox, dog and passers by :shock:

Of course foxes like to eat blackberries too!
suffolk
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » October 23rd, 2011, 6:10 pm

I've just made some spiced carrot and garlic chutney - Sophie Grigson's recipe, slightly adapted. It took longer to cook than the recipe said, and made loads - six pound jars and four half pound jars.

I had to taste a little, and it tasted delicious even warm from the pan before maturing :D It should be ready by Christmas :chops:
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » October 23rd, 2011, 7:21 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Lokelani » October 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm

There is something so rewarding about preserving things, particularly if you've grown (or foraged for them I guess) yourself. I cleared my greenhouse out at the w/e & made loads of chilli & pepper jelly & chilli firewater. Plus tomato sauce for the freezer, but that's not really preserves I guess.

I always have to cheat & buy mint for the mint & cider jelly, my garden mint always looks awfully diseased & tatty, same as the basil for pesto.

I really fancy making marmalade one year too. With lots of whisky in I reckon! :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby Lokelani » October 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm

There is something so rewarding about preserving things, particularly if you've grown (or foraged for them I guess) yourself. I cleared my greenhouse out at the w/e & made loads of chilli & pepper jelly & chilli firewater. Plus tomato sauce for the freezer, but that's not really preserves I guess.

I always have to cheat & buy mint for the mint & cider jelly, my garden mint always looks awfully diseased & tatty, same as the basil for pesto.

I really fancy making marmalade one year too. With lots of whisky in I reckon! :D
Lokelani
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 24th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Part of what I love about preserving things is seeing them all lined up on the shelves ready for winter - it makes me feel all warm inside, a bit like this ...... "Now it happened that Kanga had felt rather motherly that morning, and Wanting to Count Things — like Roo's vests, and how many pieces of soap there were left..." :D :kneel:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » October 24th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby peasoupdragon » November 1st, 2011, 4:21 pm

I made two batches at the weekend:

Spicy tomatoe chutney

Mango and Pineapple chutney.

I must admit the jars lined up on the work top look really good - and I can't wait to give them as Christmas pressies.

I made the carrot chutney last year and whilst it looked, smelt and tasted delicous I found the whole process of grating carrots by hand tedious. So until I get a mixer with a grater tool I dont think I will be making it again.
Never met a curry I didn't like
peasoupdragon
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » November 1st, 2011, 4:27 pm

Spotty lid.jpg

I sourced these lids from the Jam jar shop

http://www.jamjarshop.com/buy/jarlid58mm/?catid=3
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » November 1st, 2011, 4:30 pm

Ooohh they look lovely Ann....

When I get brave enough to give some of my efforts away as gifts, I'll give them a try ;)
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby FoodMary » November 1st, 2011, 4:48 pm

I am an addict too!

My preserve cupboard has been bursting at the seams for weeks with all the jellies and jams and I haven't started making this years chutneys yet and we still have marmalade to come after Christmas!

I partially solved the problem by taking several jars down to the children last weekend and giving some to Elsie (the old lady I visit every week). A jar of preserve will go into my Christmas gifts for people who are not family. A jar each of Christmas chutney, apple chutney and a preserve.

I don't eat chutneys or preserves :lol:, but I do like Sloe's chilli dipping sauce and mustards.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » November 1st, 2011, 5:04 pm

I made my first ever chutney at the weekend a Tomato and Red Pepper Chutney. I just did half the recipe but put in more yellow peppers than red. We kept a little bit back to go with our tea and it tasted nice but just needed a bit more oomph to it.

I have a few pound of homegrown tomatoes in the freezer so I am looking forward to trying out some more chutneys :D
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Marmalade » November 2nd, 2011, 9:58 am

It must be the squirrel in me, but I too am addicted to making preserves, be it jam, jelly, chutney or pickling or bottling things.

I'm not a great fan of eating jam or jelly, but as with chutney (or any other preserve) I find the whole process very theraputic and, as others have said, its immensely satisfying seeing the filled jars all line up .... I have been known to leave them on the worktop in the kitchen for a day or two just to look at them - not to be admired or because I think they're good, but because seeing them just gives me a 'nice feeling'.
Marmalade
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 2nd, 2011, 7:42 pm

Err - 'scuse me - I thought I had already recieved four separate jars of STS's fabulous stuff as a gift. They are presently sitting on my kitchen windowsill because I cannot bear to hide them in a dark cupboard. Yet. They look so beautiful it is a shame to put them away.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » November 23rd, 2011, 3:51 pm

Onslow says thank you for the carrot chutney Sue. I had already finished Anne's jar but opened yours for lunch today - it went beautifully with pork pie.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby sueturnersmith » November 23rd, 2011, 4:12 pm

You're welcome! I'm glad Onslow like it....
sueturnersmith
Global Moderator

Postby hungryhousewife » April 20th, 2012, 8:16 am

@ KaveyF - Thanks so much Kavey - you are generous to post so many delicious looking recipes!
I am particularly excited about your Pear and Ginger Chutney recipe, as my pear trees are in FULL blossom, and I never can think of enough things to do with all my pears! I have tried, twice, an inviting looking recipe by Alice Hart, she uses Saffron - which sounds nice, but funnily enough, both years I've made it, I haven't liked it and have found that it has an antiseptic sort of flavour! YUK!

I have copied your delicious looking recipe to my file, and look forward to trying it in due course!
Also, I have copied your Mum's Lemon Pickle recipe, as it looks fab! :hug:
HH
hungryhousewife
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 20th, 2012, 10:46 am

If your saffron tastes "antiseptic", then there's probably too much of it. Try using half the suggested quantity.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby hungryhousewife » April 20th, 2012, 11:31 am

Hi KdeK! :bounce:
Thanks for that - I figured as much, but I have to say I like the sound of Kavey's recipe very much.
I also printed off your banana ketchup recipe. It looks like just the sort of thing we love! Thanks!
Hope all's well over there! Hail and black clouds here.
HH
hungryhousewife
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 20th, 2012, 1:09 pm

Just for your info, HH. Karadekoolaid has been known to answer to "Clive". It's a lot quicker to type. :lol:

Saffron is funny stuff. I buy mine in bulk from a company in San Francisco, who import it direct from the middle east and it's so good (strong) that they have found that chefs need to use about ½ the amount they would normally use, to get good results.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Kavey » April 20th, 2012, 4:24 pm

You are welcome, HH.
I'm not a long-time preserver nor an expert like some here, but I do love preserving and hope yuo enjoy!
Kavey
Registered

Postby hungryhousewife » April 20th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Thank you Ian! I sort of knew, but by the time I found out I had been calling him KdeK for a while and it stuck.
I will try and remember to call him Clive - but it will be a bit like calling an adult by their first name, when you have always called them Mr... !
HH
hungryhousewife
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 20th, 2012, 6:38 pm

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 20th, 2012, 11:27 pm

--
All the best
Ian

ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » April 20th, 2012, 11:37 pm

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby hungryhousewife » April 21st, 2012, 8:55 pm

Well thanks Clive and Ian!
I haven't made the ketchup yet, but have saved it and will give a go soon, cos it sounds just yum!
HH
hungryhousewife
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 21st, 2012, 10:41 pm

Mmm, banana ketchup - I added some lime leaves (removed at the end) and it added an extra dimension!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Return to The Larder