[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Bottling/Preserving Bible ?

Bottling/Preserving Bible ?

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Bottling/Preserving Bible ?

Postby BelgianBlue » February 15th, 2012, 12:42 pm

I know nothing at all about conserving or preserving food and I'd like to find a book I can trust on the subject.
Can anyone recommend a book that will help me learn to bottle/preserve safely everything from duck confit to fresh fruit and vegetables to jams, etc.

Thanks,
denise
BelgianBlue
Registered

Re: Bottling/Preserving Bible ?

Postby Suelle » February 15th, 2012, 2:53 pm

She doesn't cover preserving meat in any form, but Pam Corbin, of River Cottage fame, seems to have become the newest preserving guru:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preserves-River ... 7&sr=1-1#_
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianBlue » February 15th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Thank you very much Suelle - it does look good and a great place to start :tu:
(Spring is coming and this time, I want to be ready ;) )

d
BelgianBlue
Registered

Postby frenchcheesequeen » February 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm

I had a WI book which eventually fell to bits. It was brilliant though and lasted me for over thirty years of regular use.

These days I only make marmalade and lemon curd and know those recipes and methods off by heart.
frenchcheesequeen
Registered

Postby FoodMary » March 2nd, 2012, 10:49 am

I use family recipes for most of my preserves but found this little book on a second hand book stall at a fete,

Simply Pickles by Sara Ridgley from 1995 - there are some stunning recipes in it.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 2nd, 2012, 3:59 pm

I have to say that I don't think there's any ONE bible. I've got maybe 4 or 5 books on preserving and they all have useful information. Good Housekeeping, WI, "Preserved" "Spices and Salt in the English kitchen" and so on.
Last edited by ianinfrance on March 2nd, 2012, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Kitewatcher » March 2nd, 2012, 4:43 pm

Home Preservation of Fruit and Vegetables a HMSO publication is the one for me.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm

This one is quite good, too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Preserved-Johnn ... 1856268454

It covers meat as well as jams, chutneys - and others.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » March 3rd, 2012, 6:09 pm

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby BelgianBlue » March 5th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Frenchcheesequeen, FoodMary, Sloe-gin, Ian, and Kitewatcher, my apologies for not replying sooner - I hadn't realised there had been replies following Suelle's :oops:
You've given me some great suggestions and 'Preserved' is exactly what I'm looking for!
d
BelgianBlue
Registered

Postby Annie » March 23rd, 2012, 9:46 am

I've not been one for preserves, as much as I love them I tend to buy unless I have a real glut. I find that I would only manage use one or two in a year and I like a variety rather than a lot of one type.

I've made vinegars, flavoured vodka, jams and chutneys for hampers but it is only the odd batch in a year.

I don't have a book on the subject other than sections in an overall cook book, I am rather partial to the for recipes that work.
Thanks, Annie
Annie
Registered

Postby terifaulkner » June 13th, 2012, 11:43 am

Hi everyone....I use the Ball Canning book...can be found on Amazon...it is truly wonderful...has canning,freezing and dehydration recipes...Teri
terifaulkner
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » June 13th, 2012, 1:31 pm

This tells you all you want to know: Let's Preserve it

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Searc ... reserve+it
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Return to The Larder