[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Red and Yellow Bell peppers galore !

Red and Yellow Bell peppers galore !

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Red and Yellow Bell peppers galore !

Postby Zosherooney » April 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm

I have about 4/5 lbs of the above and fancy bottling what I can, I am short of DF space but have jam jars. Don't want to add tommys but have onions and garlic that need using up too. Relish of some sort (help please Sloe !!!) or just bottled so I can use in other dishes. Would prefer to use slow cooker if possible.

Answers on a postcard please .........

Zosh
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Red and Yellow Bell peppers galore !

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm

Moved to Garrya thread - not sure how I did that
Last edited by StokeySue on April 26th, 2012, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 26th, 2012, 2:46 pm

Dice & freeze?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby tezza » April 26th, 2012, 3:00 pm

Chunks of pepper, onion and potatoes simmered in a little spicy tomato sauce is really nice mixed through cooked basmati rice.

Roasted pepper hummus.

Stuffed with couscous or rice and baked.

Halves filled with tomato, garlic, basil and anchovy, drizzled with olive oil & roasted.

I dice and freeze peppers and use them as an emergency stand by in a mire poix if I happen to have no carrots knocking around.

I have a pretty looking photo and recipe at home somewhere for two colour pepper soup. Two basic pepper soups were made, one from red and the other from yellow and then to serve each soup was ladled into its own jug and poured at the same time, one from one side of the bowl and the other from the other side.
tezza
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 26th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Tezza, I saw that soup somewhere too....

Really want to bottle it somehow??
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby tezza » April 26th, 2012, 3:38 pm

Ian's our bottling king isn't he? :P

I will dig that recipe out when I get home and post it for you.
tezza
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2012, 3:55 pm

I have made Elizabeth David's version of this, and it is good, but it does need tomatoes (I don't think it needs the currants, mind you)

StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » April 26th, 2012, 4:22 pm

I've never tried bottling peppers as such, though Lecso, the hungarian pepper. tomato and onion stewy dish used as an essential ingredient in cooking from that country, does bottle very well. You can see bottled peppers, so clearly the process works. While I make a red pepper soup, I always make it fresh and haven't ever bottled it, I am afraid.

Where ever do your peppers come from at this time of the year?
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » April 26th, 2012, 5:51 pm

I've actually made peperonata and, by bottling then "cooking" in a water bath for 25 minutes, achieved conservation for up to 6 months.You do need to make sure everything is squeaky clean and that the peperonata is completely covered with oil.
Yesterday, I saw some cannelli beans in the cupboard and decided to make a roasted red pepper and cannelli bean soup -which I did. It was gloriously good.
I cooked the beans first and roasted the red peppers with a couple of onions, salt, pepper and mixed fresh herbs (parsley, oregano, basil, sage, thyme and rosemary were available). Splashed and mixed with olive oil, Jamie style ( ie " whack all those beauties together in a bakin' tray, slosh a bit of Extra Virgin over the top, and just mix 'em up wiv yer ánds. Stick it in the oven for about firty five minutes. Bob's yer uncle!") then blended smooth. I added the bean water (from dried beans, not from a tin) and a little extra liquid. Brought to the boil then added the cooked beans and warmed the soup through. Adjusted seasoning (In fact, I added a tsp of Spanish Pimentón or Paprika, just because it was there) and served with crusty bread.
You could also make Sweet pepper chutney; it´s ok with all colours but far superior if you just use the red ones. Mine's as follows:
1.2 kgs Red Peppers, chopped
400 gms sugar
275 gms onion, chopped
200 ml white wine (or cider) vinegar
60 gms mild red chiles, deveined if you wish, but definitely deseeded for aesthetic reasons!
5 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika or Spanish Pimentón Dulce
METHOD: ( VERY complicated. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :terrified: )
Whack everything into a large pan and cook for about 25- 35 minutes, until the chutney is thickened. If there's too much liquid, just drain some off and give it to the cat.
Bottle, seal, cook in water bath for 25 mins. Store.:D
Then there's Louisiana pepper jelly. That is just magic.
Or you could go for a portion of m´hammara (sic?) - a delicious Middle Eastern mezze made with red peppers and hazelnuts.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2012, 5:56 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 26th, 2012, 6:00 pm

karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby tezza » April 26th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Double Pepper Soup

Into one saucepan place 4 red peppers, deseeded & chopped, 1 stick celery sliced, 1 onion chopped, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 tbsp chopped lemon thyme, 1 ltr veg stock, 1 bay leaf. In another saucepan place 4 yellow peppers treated the same way as the red and the same amount of other ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer until veggies are soft. Remove bay leaves and puree each soup. Season with S & P. Reheat soups. Make a chive cream by mixing 2 tbsp fromage frais, 1 tbsp finely chopped chives, S & P. Pour soup from two jugs from each side of bowl and garnish with chive cream.

Clive I wish you would post here more often. Your talk of peperonata, red pepper & bean soup, and m'hammara has really made my mouth water! :drool: :tu:
tezza
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 26th, 2012, 8:31 pm

I have a slow cooker full of chopped peppers slowly cooking overnight. See what transpires 2moro !

Nite Nite everyone and thanks for your comments.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Riocaz » April 26th, 2012, 10:22 pm

Not a preservng dish (though you probably can but Ian would need to tell you how:

It is delicious though!!!

http://www.wildfood.info/blog/?p=8
Board Admin and general dogsbody

It's always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, you're on your own. -- James Beard

Onwards and Downwards!
Can't login? Please try this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13153
Riocaz
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » April 27th, 2012, 7:23 am

The peppers came from our market and although some needed a bit of chopping around I still ended up with loads. This morning I wizzed them and poured into square containers, will try and find a space in time in the DF and when frozen, pop them out of the plakky and into a bag (saves a bit more space). I can do onions and garlic separately and add when defrosted.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby hungryhousewife » April 27th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Sorry to have seen this rather late.
I had quite a glut of peppers last summer. I chopped them into large slices - drizzled with oil, salt and pepper - put them in the oven at 200C for about 30 mins, peeled them and put them in sterilized kilner jars - topped up with olive oil. We have been using them all winter, and they've been delicious!
Maybe next time!
HH
hungryhousewife
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 30th, 2012, 6:46 am

Hi HH, thanks for this, there maybe more on the market on Thursday so will keep it in mind.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 30th, 2012, 11:05 am

karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Larder