French Apricot Conserve

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

French Apricot Conserve

Postby globetrotter » June 7th, 2012, 10:29 am

For lucky Cyprusmoira, who will soon be having to deal with a glut of apricots! This recipe (from Good Housekeeping in 2007) gives you about three and a half pounds of soft-set apricot conserve which (I think) is made delicious by the addition of a vanilla pod.

1.5kg (about 3lb4oz) fresh apricots
800g (1lb 12oz) granulated sugar
1 vanilla pod
Juice of 1 lemon

Halve and stone the fruit, reserving a handful of stones. Put fruit and sugar into a preserving pan. Score vanilla pod down its length and cut into three. Add this to the fruit, with the lemon juice, stir together and leave to steep for several hours (or overnight).
If you have patience, crack the reserved stones with a nutcracker and remove the kernels. Blanch the kernels in boiling water for 1 minute, plunge into cold water and remove skins. Split them in two and add to the fruit for extra flavour. Alternatively (and much easier!), use a few flaked almonds, which give a nice additional flavour and texture to the conserve.
Sterilise 4 x 1lb jam jars.
When the sugar and apricots have steeped (the fruit should soften slightly), put the pan over a low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and boil for 20-25 minutes until the mixture is thick and the apricots are broken down. Pot immediately into hot, sterilised jars, ensuring the vanilla and kernels/almond flakes are evenly divided among the jars. Cover and seal while the jam is still hot.

Enjoy!
globetrotter
Registered

Re: French Apricot Conserve

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2012, 11:27 am

Thanks, Globetrotter, I will print off that recipe.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 12th, 2012, 2:10 pm

I have just made the Apricot Conserve using ripe local apricots, it tastes great. I used small local almonds rather than the apricot kernels. I will put the jars in the jam cupboard later on.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 13th, 2012, 5:07 pm

Last week I collected (free) a load of apricots that needed little attention. I added lemon juice and some sugar for our taste and made a jar and a half of truely delicious apricot preserve, it would be unkind to call it jam. Only the special peeps will be able to sample it !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby BelgianEndive » June 14th, 2012, 10:21 am

I'll second the vanilla pod. I made some apricot jam two weeks ago. Wash and destone the fruit, cut in pieces, add the juice of two lemons and 60% of sugar and a split vanilla pod cut in pieces. Leave to macerate for a night in the fridge. Cook the next morning till nice and thick. Put in pots. Easy job.
BelgianEndive
Registered

Return to The Larder