[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Blackcurrant Jam

Blackcurrant Jam

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Blackcurrant Jam

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2012, 6:55 am

I collected 8 punnets of blackcurrants from the market, that needed a few removing, that had gone over in each punnet. I was left with about 3 lbs of fruit. Made jam and reduced the sugar, I find most jams, jellies, too sweet for my liking. The end result was extremely concentrated and made 2 large jars ready for the store cupboard. Best bit was it cost me about 40p for the sugar ! (and of course my time).
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Blackcurrant Jam

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2012, 7:02 am

Love blackcurrant jam, and it sets so well - all that pectin :D But if you've reduced the sugar I'd keep it in the fridge rather than the pantry, as it's the sugar that preserves it.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 29th, 2012, 7:42 am

I was gifted Just over a kilo of blackcurrants recently and made them into what I've called "Jem". I'm a bit of a wuss and am anti pip so I sofetned the fruit in some water and then squidged it through a sieve, ending up with pulp - no pips! Carried on as usual and ended up with my jem, a cross between jelly and jam. It's not as sweet as a lot of commercial jams, it has a beautiful sharpness to it.

A lovely preserve, even if I say so myself :lol: .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 29th, 2012, 1:14 pm

That sounds lovely- sort of a varient on quince or damson cheese. I bet that would be gorgeous with cold meat.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Return to The Larder