Pickled Dill Cucumbers

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Pickled Dill Cucumbers

Postby Zosherooney » June 18th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Hi all, In my greenhouse I have 3 cucumber plants that are described as "the pickling sort" from a pack of seeds bought at Lidl. Although I have eaten fresh ones of these peeled as they have "barbs" on the fruit, I fully intend to jar some up for the winter months. Has anyone any hints or tips on this type of cuc ? All info gratefully accepted.
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Pickled Dill Cucumbers

Postby ianinfrance » June 18th, 2010, 10:37 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Hi all, In my greenhouse I have 3 cucumber plants that are described as "the pickling sort" from a pack of seeds bought at Lidl. Although I have eaten fresh ones of these peeled as they have "barbs" on the fruit, I fully intend to jar some up for the winter months. Has anyone any hints or tips on this type of cuc ? All info gratefully accepted.

I doubt if you'll believe me, but the easiest way to get the hiars off is to put them in an old pillowslip, tie it up and wash ot (best without using detergent) on the cold wool cycle. This will get them as smooth as a baby's bottom - not that I have any idea of what that means, you understand. You then dry them and salt (50g per kilo) them, leaving over night and shaking them up from time to time. Then they are ready to be pickled (rinsed first).
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » June 19th, 2010, 10:22 am

Zosh - once you've got your cucumbers ready for pickling, here's an easy recipe:
1 kg pickling cucumbers
800 mls brining liquid ( 50% white wine vinegar, 50% water, 2 tablespoons sea salt)
1 tsp sugar
4 cloves garlic
bunch fresh dill
1 or two tbsps pickling spice

Scrub the cucumbers and place them, upright, into large jars. If you want to make Dill Spears, then cut the cucumbers into four lengthwise.Slice the garlic and place a few slices in each jar, along with a tsp or two of the pickling spice Heat the brining liquid and add the sugar. Bring to a boil, then pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers. Seal the jars with their lids, then do the nIan trick of turning the jars upside down. Leave to cool.

I've got another recipe for "Polish" dill pickles, but it takes 3 days to do and is, to say the least, a bit fussy, even though the end result is well worthwhile.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby 18kari » June 19th, 2010, 5:43 pm

hiya clive could you post the recipe for the 3 day ones please i am so interested! thank you :hug: karen
who is now slowly getting there!
18kari
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 20th, 2010, 7:14 am

Morning all, Thanks everyone for your replies, I am not sure Ian if you actually mean put the cucs in the washing machine !!!

Kool, thanks for your recipe, I think I will use it when they are ready. Until that time I thought you might be interested in the following: Kool-Aid Pickles (a.k.a. "Koolickles")
Kool-Aid pickles (enjoyed by children in parts of the Southern United States[6]) are created by soaking dill pickles in a mixture of Kool-Aid and pickle brine. From the wikipedia section on pickled dills. Ain't that sweet !!!

Zosh
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » June 20th, 2010, 12:08 pm

KoolAid pickles. Wow.
Only in the USA!!!

Kari: here's the 3-day recipe. It's been a long time since I made these, but I seem to remember it was worthwhile. The procedure is simple, but fussy!
2 kgs gherkins
700 gms sugar
400 mls white vinegar
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seed
bunch of dill

Day 1: Scrub the gherkins and place in a bowl. Cover with boiling water and put a weight on top to keep the gherkins under the water. Every 12 hours, drain the water and replace with more (boiling water).
Day 2: Drain the liquid and cover with boiling water. 12 hours later, drain the liquid again and add boiling water and 75 gms sea salt.
Day 3: Drain the liquid and discard. Heat together half the sugar and half the vinegar with the turmeric and other pickling spìces. Bring to the boil and pour over the gherkins. Leave for 12 hours.
Now heat the rest of the sugar and vinegar. Drain the liquid from the gherkins and add to the sugar/vinegar mixture. Bring bck to the boil. Place some dill in each pickling jar and fill the jars with the gherkins. Pour the hot liquid over them and seal. Turn the jar upside down and leave to cool.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » June 20th, 2010, 8:17 pm

Zosherooney wrote: I am not sure Ian if you actually mean put the cucs in the washing machine !!!
Zosh

Well, yes, but you put them in the pillowcase first!! :lol:

We've been doing this with gherkins for years now, since I read about it on a French language discussion group. It IS important to do it in a cold wash that's very gentle, and without any kind of rinse aid or other detergent, but I find I can deprickle about 5 kg in one single pillowcase full. I then take them out, put into the sink and rinse well before drying them a bit in the salad spinner. How big are the cukes you're talking about? If they're more than four inches or so long, you won't have so many, so I'd just scrub them individually with a veg brush.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 14th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Thanks Ian, I only had about 10 cucs to deal with so scrubbed them with the nail brush. I then made a mixture 50/50 water and vinegar, salt, white pepercorns, garlic, chili flakes, a tad of sugar and because I did not have dill I decided to use fennel flower heads. I also read that vine leaves are added. I hope this gives a nice effect. The jar was an ex dill pickle jar and fitted perfectly into my asparagus steamer so that is what I used as the "bath" The problem now is having the patience to wait for 8 weeks for them to be ready ! ! Time will tell..........
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 20th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Just labelled my 2nd huge jar of Polish dill pickles. I changed the flavour on this one to compare and contrast against the first one. I put in bay, dill and garlic and more sugar for a sweet/sour concoction. Roll on Crimbo night when they will all come out !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » July 22nd, 2010, 9:39 am

I've just pickled the first lot of our mini cucumbers (no hairs on ours, thankfully). I've kept the spare spiced vinegar for the next batch that are ready. These aren't for sale, but for us at Christmas.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 7th, 2010, 6:19 am

I opened my first jar of these last night to go with the venison burgers, I have to say, they were quite good :chops: nice, flavour and just a bit of crunch. Roll on the next jar :hungry:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 29th, 2010, 10:32 pm

At the risk of sounding smug.......................

We are now into the 2nd jar of my pickled dills, and the fennel and grape sweet and sour ones are delightful, I could wax lyrical quite a lot but I am so pleased with my efforts. I think back to those sultry days of summer when I went to bed with a fan on and now it is soooooooooooooo cold I cannot quite believe it. The one item I have to be grateful for is that when I finally cleared by greenhouse out, is that I found a dill I had missed, it was HUGE and is sitting on my kitchen window sill quietly decomposing. I plan to collect the seeds and try and grow some more. If anyone wants any, I am sure there will be more than I can use, please let me know.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 22nd, 2017, 11:31 am

as we are getting loads of the short, fat, smooth cucumbers from the poly tunnel which, when smaller are probably the ones found in the jars of bought dill pickles, i've come searching for the boards favourite recipes.
i could turn them into the usual sweet cucumber pickle that i make but i think there'll be enough for that as well.
i had a play yesterday using no recipe so i'll see how they've turned out in a few days.
they will need to be split into lengths to get more than one into a jar so if anyone has any other good recipes they've made for these 'fat boys' i'd be grateful.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 23rd, 2017, 10:35 am

Scully, I tend to measure the cucs to the tallness of the jar, then stand them up and make sure that you have enough liquid to cover them.

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the small amount of cucumber pickle that would not fill the main jar, your recipe I believe - very good indeed ! Thankfully the main jar will be well hidden from prying eyes !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 23rd, 2017, 10:50 am

glad you like the pickle - it is rather good, isn't it‽
the length of the cucumbers we are getting are fine for the jars, it's the circumference that is far too big.
i had a taste of the one i did the other day - by salting and leaving for half an hour while i cooked up some white vinegar with a little sugar, some peppercorns and mustard seed, dropped the rinsed off cucumber slices in the hot vinegar and returned to the boil. they were then put in a hot jar with vinegar mix and some fresh dill.
the slice i had was rather good so i may do the rest of the cucumbers from this week in the same way and make some sweet pickle with the next lot.
scullion
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 23rd, 2017, 11:26 am

My Brother in Law grows cucumbers and they are great for making pickles (if we actually get so far as picking them for the kitchen as the kids keep pouncing and munching on them straight from the plant) In their baby state they are great for their lunch boxes especially with some hummus too. This has to be one of the most cost effective things to grow along with tomatoes. They literally get through about 5 large cucumber a weeks, 5 punnets of tomatoes and about 6 heads of broccoli. Now if we could just grow olives we'd be quid's in
Catherine
Registered

Return to The Larder