[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Spiced apple jelly recipe please

Spiced apple jelly recipe please

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Spiced apple jelly recipe please

Postby tezza » September 20th, 2012, 2:21 pm

I have today acquired two great big bags of apples from a colleague's garden, and somebody asked me what I was going to do with them all. I'm not quite sure yet, but she suggested spiced apple jelly, which sounds yum!

Did a quick Google search and there are a few, but would like a T & T recipe if anyone has one, as I have now promised to bring some into the office. :?

Thanks in advance! :D
tezza
Registered

Re: Spiced apple jelly recipe please

Postby MrsWWoof » September 20th, 2012, 4:35 pm

I've done various apple based jellies:

Apple & Red Chilli
Apple & Mint
Apple, Mint & Red Chilli
Hold on . . . until you find your smile again.
MrsWWoof
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 21st, 2012, 9:41 am

Don't forget the wonderful Simply Relish apple and chilli jelly that Ann shared on my blog:

http://www.kaveyeats.com/2010/10/simply ... -with.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby tezza » September 21st, 2012, 9:52 am

tezza
Registered

Postby 4dogsagain » September 21st, 2012, 12:15 pm

Ccok a couple of cinnamon sticks with the apples, or..
As a chunk of ginger cut into large-ish pieces.
Don't stop doing things because you are growing old; you only grow old if you stop doing things.
4dogsagain
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 21st, 2012, 8:31 pm

Spiced Apple Jelly
( Taken from " Farmhouse Fare" - 1947)
" Tiny, rosy cheeked apples will do for this. Put the apples in a pan and barely cover with water; cook until pulpy (? I'd guess an hour or so!). Strain all night through a jelly-bag ( and I'd also suggest smashing up the apples prior to pouring them into the jelly-bag).
To every pint of juice, add 1lb of preserving sugar and 2 cloves. Tie the cloves in a muslin cloth and lift out after boiling the juice rapidly for 30 minutes. ( Makes sense to me).
If I wanted to spice it up a bit more,I might add a little bit of cinnamon, a chunk of fresh ginger and a piece of nutmeg or mace to the muslin bag.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 22nd, 2012, 6:37 am

I also make an apple and chilli jelly, it is nice on toast as well as with chicken etc. Hope your jellies turn out well tezza :tu:
Mamta
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 22nd, 2012, 6:45 am

Hello fcq
I have the answer finally;
This is the way the koftas are made, using any seasonal vegetable like courgettes/cabbage/cauliflower/bottle gourd etc.; http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... p?id=13409 I guess you coud=ld even make potato koftas. The only difference is that one dry, stoned plum is placed in the centre of each kofta as you roll it and then they are deep fried. The slightly sour and sweet taste as you bite into it is delicious. If you have tiny plums, you could even put the fresh one in the kofta.
If you are interested, I will write it down for you, as long as I don't loose the copyright by publishing in this book LOL!

Mamta
Mamta
Registered

Postby tezza » September 22nd, 2012, 7:24 am

I am going to make my apple jelly today. I bought a pair of tights yesterday just for this very purpose. Crikey tights are expensive! I might have to invest in a jelly bag! :P
tezza
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 22nd, 2012, 7:27 am

Mum, you posted that on the wrong thread, I've copied it across to FCQ's plum thread for you.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Mamta » September 22nd, 2012, 7:29 am

Oh dear! Was doing too many thing simultaneously this morning, too many windows open at once! I wonder how many other mistakes I made :oops: !
Mamta
Registered

Postby tezza » October 6th, 2012, 9:22 am

I am just about to get Ann's apple jelly recipe on the go.

Apples are a-bobbing and tights at the ready!

:bounce:

Will report back once strained/set. :chef:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » October 6th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Artistic knife shot. :lol:

Apples simmering and equipment all ready to go.

Pulp straining.

Here a bit of pulp straining and some more to strain and some juice.

Tomorrow will be sugar and lemongrass and chilli time. :chef: :tu:
tezza
Registered

Postby tezza » October 7th, 2012, 11:37 am

It is made.

The fascinating thing was how once over the heat it went from a very clear juice to very cloudy and then back to crystal clear again! I think maybe I should have chopped the chilli a bit finer. The house smells divine. From just under 2 litres of juice I reaped seven large jars and twelve tiddler jars and there was still enough for one more large jar but I ran out of jars.

Hoping it tastes as good as it smells and sets well.
tezza
Registered

Postby Mamta » October 7th, 2012, 2:44 pm

It looks lovely tezza :tu: .
Mamta
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 7th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Yes, doesn't it.

Oh dear, now I will have to use up some of the apple glut making this :lol:
miss mouse
Registered

Postby tezza » October 7th, 2012, 8:17 pm

I dropped some small jars off at my mum's/sister's this evening and waiting for a report back on how it tastes. I absolutely loved making this. It took up most of my weekend. Very theraputic. I recommend it for anyone with an apple glut.
tezza
Registered

Return to The Larder