[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - peppercorns

peppercorns

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

peppercorns

Postby sunofessex » September 24th, 2012, 2:49 pm

i am not sure which thread i should put this on!

two questions,

can someone tell me about Mirage Peppers tastes like and where i can get some!

second question

can you get English peppercorns?

neil
sunofessex
Registered

Re: peppercorns

Postby StokeySue » September 24th, 2012, 5:31 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 24th, 2012, 5:44 pm

What the heck is a Mirage pepper?
Never heard of it either.
I can offer black, white and green peppercorns - from the piper negrum plant.
Szechuan Pepper - which is not strictly a pepper, but tastes peppery :lol:
Pink pepper - which grows on trees just around the corner from my house.
Guinea Pepper - tiny black, perfumed seeds from Africa or South America.
Black pepper is originally from India. It needs some pretty excessive heat and a monsoon or two to produce the right fruit, so I'd imagine that tha English climate would fail on all counts.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 24th, 2012, 7:56 pm

Think we could provide any amount of monsoon today, it's the heat we can't do :(
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 24th, 2012, 8:00 pm

Neil, wherever did you hear of Mirage peppers?
--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » September 25th, 2012, 10:34 am

Could Neil be thinking of Mirasol peppers?
Mirasol is literally "Look at the sun", which is why the peppers grow skywards:
red_hot.jpg
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 25th, 2012, 10:43 am

Ooh Clive - do you think those are related to the Sichuan "Facing Heaven" chillies? Apparently those are the authentic ones for Sichuanese cooking

StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 26th, 2012, 10:28 am

Could well be, Sue. Nearly all the varieties are Capsicum Frutescens . I buy them from the local garden centre.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby sunofessex » September 26th, 2012, 1:19 pm

i am familiar with most kinds of peppercorns and normally have 4 or 5 in stock for different dishes but mirage was new to me as you all.

i will do a bit of trawling round the net and see what i can find.

Ian, it was featured in a food programe recently and as usual i wanted some!

neil
sunofessex
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 26th, 2012, 1:23 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby sunofessex » September 26th, 2012, 1:26 pm

sunofessex
Registered

Postby sunofessex » September 26th, 2012, 6:15 pm

hi all

i am not getting very far on my quest to find out more on mirage peppercorns but i have come across this site which has lots of varieties which would be good to use in a food quiz!

http://www.pepper-passion.com/index.php ... mid=200024

neil
sunofessex
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » September 26th, 2012, 9:38 pm

Neil:
The black, green or white peppercorns are "peppercorns" as we know them. ie piper nigrum; originally from southern India, but now available in Indonesia, Brazil, etc. Telicherry peppercorns are the very best.
"Rose" or pink peppercorns are not "pepper" as such, they´re the fruit of a tree which grows about 5 miles from my home! I'm not sure whether they're South American originally, but they grow very easily over here.
Szechuan peppercorns are not "pepper" either; any more than chiles are "pepper". They're the flower bud of a popular shrub in China.
Regardless of the semantics, each one has a distinct and extremely delicious taste.- Each different from the other.
Suck 'em and see!
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Larder