[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - Jelly strainer/jelly bag alternatives

Jelly strainer/jelly bag alternatives

A preservers paradise. Jams and chutneys everywhere.

Jelly strainer/jelly bag alternatives

Postby tezza » September 25th, 2012, 3:49 pm

In the next few days I am going to be making a large batch of spiced apple jelly, which I was supposed to make last weekend......but I was stumped by a little dilemma, hence the delay. :?

I did not want to invest in any jelly straining equipment such as bags and suspending instruments, as I don't know if I will be making it again, so I opted for a new pair of tights to strain my jelly through.

My dilemma? Once the apples are in the tights, where the heck am I going to hang them?

Has anyone else strained jelly using a pair of tights? Do you have any tips to help me out?

The only place I can think of is tied to the shower rail over the bath, but there is something feeling a little bit unhygienic about that, although my bathroom is very clean! Would you strain jelly in your bathroom?

And I have two very curious cats who will bring the thing down if I am not careful........needs to be a closed room, which feels wrong being the bathroom, cannot be the kitchen, so just leaves rooms that have carpets. This could become a very messy operation. :lol:

Help! :)
tezza
Registered

Re: Jelly strainer/jelly bag alternatives

Postby Sloe-Gin » September 25th, 2012, 3:55 pm

I have a curious contraption for suspending a muslin bag, but that won't help you, as it was made by hub!!
What kind of handles do you have on your kitchen cupboard doors? (I mean wall mounted ones).I used to get a clean cane and wedge it across a 'triangle' of corner units and suspend the bag from there, but outgrew that, thus the 'contraption'!!! Mind you, we didn't have cats then!
Failing that, put your pulp in the tights and gently (no squeezing!!) put it in a sieve over the largest pan you have and cover with the pan lid.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby tezza » September 25th, 2012, 4:14 pm

Ann I knew you'd come along and save the day. The sieve idea is fantastic, thanks! :hi5: Safe, clean, and away from the cats. :D

Incidentally it is your apple jelly with chilli & lemongrass recipe that I will be using. :chef: :tu: I'll report back how I get on.
tezza
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 25th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I got a strainer recently. But I still use my previous method, only last week, as strainer wasn't large enough for volume of apples I cooked up...

I line a colander with muslin, often folded double because it's a large sheet of muslin, then dump the fruit pulp on top, with the colander balanced over a large pan. Don't bother tying it closed at top but leave a clean tea towel over the top overnight. Next day, once the main drip drip drip has stopped, I empty the pan into a jug. Then replace the colander over the pan, pull closed the muslin and twist, and apply pressure with my hands, squishing and squishing to get as much more juice out as I can. This juice is cloudy, hence why I don't want it mixing with the clearer juice that dripped naturally. It's also often thicker.

When I process the juice into jelly I do separate batches for the thick cloudy stuff and the thinner clearer juice.
Kavey
Registered

Postby Kavey » September 25th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Kavey
Registered

Postby Marmalade » September 25th, 2012, 5:54 pm

I once used a pair of tights for straining although I seriously under-estimated just how much they would stretch with even a modest amount of fruit in them :shock: It was this 'unfortunate incident' which led to my homeade 'contraption' which consists of 8 pieces of wood and 4 cup hooks - it all slots together so that I don't have to wonder where to put it when it's not actually in use.
Marmalade
Registered

Postby Suelle » September 25th, 2012, 9:56 pm

I've read the suggestion of turning over a tall bar stool, seat on the ground (if you have one), and suspending the jelly bag between the legs, with the bowl to catch the clear fluid on the seat
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Marmalade » September 26th, 2012, 6:59 am

Marmalade
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » September 26th, 2012, 7:57 am

--
All the best
Ian

The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby karadekoolaid » September 26th, 2012, 10:26 am

" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 26th, 2012, 2:41 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Larder