CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXVII Nathaniel

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 12th, 2017, 11:15 am

Better tip toe round you tomorrow morning then :plink: :plink: :plink:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 12th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Much more age appropriate Sue :lol: :lol: :cocktail: :cocktail: Have fun.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 12th, 2017, 12:16 pm

You had a good trip to Cornwall, Zosh, is all that fish in the fridge?
We may sit on the back terrace to watch for meteors, no lights around there but as it faces east we may get the rising moon.
The pony is back in the shade over the road

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Good afternoon,
A long lay in this morning. Totally unplanned so must have needed it. Had a leisurely stroll down the hill to my favourite newsagent, food and wine store to be told they had not reserved the Daily Mail for me, so back up the hill to the next shop and managed to buy the last one. Not hungry for breakfast so decided on Glamorgan sausage, baked beans and fried egg for lunch. Whilst washing up the egg decided to explode all over the kitchen and my face - ouch! Having nothing to stand on to reach the walks to clean the fat off I asked my neighbour if he had a step ladder. He had a chair and came up and cleaned the walks for me! The thing is, I think the paint has come off on the sponge. Surprising how much damage an egg can do! A safer sandwich for tea me thinks. :lol:
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 12th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I have just seen a flyer for Episcopi Garrison fete, always known as Epi Fete, ext month, There is a note at the bottom saying that there will be a small parking fee of E5. There will a revolt if they do try and enforce that, there is plenty of parking space, E5 is a very high rate for here, parking is free on the nearby Kurion Beach.
I shall watch developments with interest.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2017, 4:51 pm

Hello folks :D I'm home after a lovely day with DD ... drinking coffee, lunching, shopping ... that sort of thing. :D She also had to organise a new mobile phone for herself after hers was run over by a tractor at work the other day :rolleyes:

We also popped into the shop around the corner from her home and she picked up some goat leg to make curry while I got some mooli and some little aubergines ... the white 'egg' ones and some little purple ones.

On the way to Ipswich I called in at a farm butchery and picked up some fantastic pork chops, Barnsley chops and a gammon hock, so the fridge is full.

Now I'm going to put my feet up, order a takeaway for this evening and watch the athletics. Just heard that DS will be doing 'sound' for the athletes 'End of Games party' ... should be a great evening :bounce: 8-) ... shame he doesn't need anyone to hold his headphones :cry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 12th, 2017, 6:30 pm

And here is last night's pan rustico.
Not bad for a first and condensed attempt.

WP_20170811_001.jpg

WP_20170811_001.jpg
Attachments
WP_20170812_001.jpg
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2017, 8:01 pm

WW - I could sink my teeth right into that loaf. Looks lovely!
After an exhausting day with Mum and nephew which I cannot help admitting I didn't want to end, I have a glass of Merlot on the go in front of Adele on TV. What a woman, what a voice! Four year old nephew is a big fan so hopefully he caught it. He would be in his element. Teddy is so demanding but so adorable. He is absolutely obsessed with the three Chihuahas that live in the house backing on to mine and really wanted to stroke them but their yapping scared him. He thought they would get their little heads and bodies under their gate.
I have a question - does anybody know how I can get olive oil splashes off my painted kitchen wall? I have tried Flash and hot water, sponge scourer, no joy. Tried a dry scourer. No joy.
Enjoy the rest of your evening everyone!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 12th, 2017, 9:10 pm

Moira, brill,monkfish now frozen. I have eaten half of the lobster, OMG fantastic, just a few pink fir apples and a dab of mayo. Jon Dory is on the menu for tomorrow, recipe to be sourced........... :chef:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 12th, 2017, 11:05 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have a question - does anybody know how I can get olive oil splashes off my painted kitchen wall? I have tried Flash and hot water, sponge scourer, no joy. Tried a dry scourer. No joy.

Do not use a scourer. First of all try warm water with washing up liquid and use a low abrasive sponge. If that doesn't work try baking powder mixed in to a paste with warm water, apply to wall and let is dry then remove with warm water. If still no joy try water and white vinegar
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 2:10 am

Thanks Catherine. I will get onto that late on today.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 5:58 am

Bread looks good WW, can I have some for brekkie please ???

We had a lovely afternoon with our guests, I did bruschetta with a sort of ratatouille topping, indian spiced roast potatoes, a frittata cut into cubes. a platter of pickled bits and bobs with quartered tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot etc., nuts and crisps. As they arrived, the sun came out and the church bells were peeling and we sat outside until 5.30pm drinking wine etc. and putting the world to rights. A very pleasant interlude !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 13th, 2017, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, no breeze here, I hope that it comes up soon.
Suffs, it sounds as if your fridge is full.
Zosh,' with nibbles like that no wonder your guests stsyed.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 6:26 am

Morning Moira, We do seem to have a lot of fun with this couple, they have travelled all over the world and tell some wonderful stories.

I think Autumn has arrived, the grass is sopping with a heavy dew and the windows are condensated on the outside, although I am still only sleeping under an empty duvet cover.

When I bought my fish, I asked for a pile of fish bones for stock, on closer examination, there is quite a lot of fish to be taken so I will be steaming them and gathering fish for fish cakes. I can also feel a chowder coming on....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2017, 7:35 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Having a lazy start to the day here ... Lovely sunny morning ... :mug: :mug: :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 13th, 2017, 7:57 am

back from collecting the Sunday Papers. There was no one else in the shop, most unusual as the shop, Lyssi, is well known as a Tardis, I don't think that I have ever reached the back of the shop. Among other things they are well known for their art supplies, extensive collection of stationary, beach clothes and inflatables, they even sell pool chemicals and some grocery items. I am told that there is a loo at the back of the shop but I have never found it ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2017, 10:11 am

The lazy morning livened up ... my dodgy knee felt quite stiff after all of yesterday's shopping so I decided I need to start increasing my exercise before our holiday ... all those Cornish hills :shock: ... so we've been for a walk ... just a short one ... half an hour along the Donkey Track through the woodland and past the chalk mines and then around the back edge of the golf course and back home ... it's a good route to start with :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 13th, 2017, 10:13 am

Morning all! :wave: Mmmmm, what lovely bread WW! :chops:

What a lovely day, I have a feeling we may get a lovely Indian Summer .. we deserve it! It was so still and glorious outside when I hung out some washing first thing.

Sounds like an added bonus with the fish bones Zosh! Love the sound of the shop Moira - a real Aladdin's cave.

I'm off out now on a little recce for a trip I am leading next week in the Cotswolds. I hope so much that the weather will be like this then. More work revision later ... was reading until late last night, there is more stuff than I thought :evil: . Really looking forward to retirement.

Hope you had a lovely evening Sue ... when did pyjama parties change into sleepovers by the way?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 11:18 am

Good afternoon all. My head is in a bit of a whirl! My Dad left the family home when I was four years old, got in contact again recently when I was ill and we have spoken on the phone every day since. He lives on a narrow boat up north but today after a brief stay down south with his brother he popped in on me. He had some paperbacks for me, also a set of eight ramekins, a huge chilli plant grown by his brother, home grown runner beans and cherry tomatoes and a whole load of UK regional cookery books that he compiled and loaded up on a memory stick for me. We nattered on for three hours. We have lots to catch up on. I learned so much about my family on his side. In a week or two his brother and family have invited me to travel over to Essex to stay with them for a family gathering. I feel slightly overwhelmed actually. A big part of my life has been missing, clearly. I feel like I am walking on air..... :grin:
Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 13th, 2017, 11:31 am

That sounds lovely Tezza! How wonderful that he's come back into your life and that the two of you get on so well.

Morning Wildies :wave: :luv:

EM- hope you enjoy your reccie :luv:
WW- hope you enjoyed your fantastic bread :chops:
Suffs- hope you enjoyed your walk despite your poorly knee :hug:

Have a happy Sunday everyone :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 11:37 am

EM hope you have your multi coloured umbrella with you ! ;) ;) :lol:

I am sat here spitting feathers...... Mr. Z's car needed the renewal of insurance. He did a compare jobbie and the one he chose initially offered him £199 then said because there was a claim......!!!!!!!! It would have to be £318 !!!!!!!!! Remember the Saga Saga ????????? After pointing out to Saga that there was no damage to the barrier by the incident Saga agreed to remove the non fault detail from ALL databases. So I have just had to spend another half hour on the phone to them AGAIN!!!!!! They are due to call back to resolve once and for all. And I want compensation for all the trouble they have caused.

And breathe........ :rolleyes:

Fish bones and heads picked of fish, I have whizzed some bread to make crumbs and have enough mix for about 6 portions, one of my yellow chillies has been added, hope I have not over done the heat....

Stock for a chowder is quite rich and the chickens will pick over the bones and skin...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 13th, 2017, 11:38 am

Good afternoon everyone,
Fab looking bread WW :D

I've had the most wonderful time at my friends, they are wonderful hosts and fantastic company. The food, wine and conversation flowed and much chat and laughter ensued. I only fell over once and that was before the booze ...... Their pooch was her usual adorable self. One of my friends & I are early risers no matter how late bedtime is, so we were outside drinking tea in beautiful sunshine before 7 watching a family of hares jumping and playing. :D

As expected I'm tired today though thankfully not hungover but a snooze this afternoon will sort that out. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 13th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Hello everyone :wave: :wave:

Just a quick pop in because a) GS can get Sky sports on his laptop and we are about to watch Newcastle Spurs :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I thought he was a rugby fan.

b)We ahd a fabulous evening at our friends last night and got home just in time to watch the 4X100 relay then went out to watch shooting stars, so what with that and the partying going on in the village we didn't get a lot of sleep. It always is the wildest night of the summer .The pinacle of the summer season.

Tezza how lovely for you, I hope the happy times with your dad and his side of the family flourish. Good luck :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 13th, 2017, 12:44 pm

I am tired AND hungover after yesterday's shenanigans ... I am well out of practice at drinking and almost dancing the night away (well evening really ;) ) :lol: :plink: :plink: :plink:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 13th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Patsy - I am just tired - can't remember the last time I had a really stotious night out!!!!!!

Have been going through my accounts to see if I could save anything - my grocery bill seems to have expanded recently and I haven't been spending more than usual but I did suddenly realise that my charity donations came to £40 per month!

When there were two of us it wasn't so bad but with only one income now I have had to make decisions so I have cut to 3 being:-

Cats protection - they will take Lulu and find her a home if needed as my family have 2 asthmatics so couldn't take her
Macmillan as they were wonderful when Brian was so ill
Air ambulance who speedily got him to hospital from Snowdonia.

Kettle is on - tea will be served in ten minutes along with Gache Melee - Guernsey apple cake - any one care to join me?

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 13th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Thanks for the best wishes on the family front all. I am so happy right now. Even Mum has accepted I am in contact with Dad again. Whoop!
Mary - I wish I could take Lulu! I can't have pets here which is a bummer. I am sure CP will sort this out for you. I may ask my Sister if you get stuck....worth considering?
Fish pie tonight with hard boiled egg and runner beans. My elderly neighbour Marj has her family over and she is bending their ear off with a weeks worth of saved up conversation. I do chat with her when I see her, rarely, I am blessed with a lovely neighbours and their relatives.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 13th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Afternoon All

I do hope Mary isnt planning on shuffling off this mortal coil for a long time :( , merely making sensible plans for the distant future. We have a couple of cats at our branch who came to us that way. Fish pie sounds good :drool:

I have a bowl of Waldorf Salad in the fridge, and some lovely FR chicken thighs in marinade to roast later, that will suffice for us tonight.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby nursemimi » August 13th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Yes please Mary!!!

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 13th, 2017, 5:41 pm

After a few jobs in the garden we have just had John Dory with lemon, butter and home produced capers sauted tatos and the remainder of the peas and fennel. I did not realise what a superb fish it was, inspite of the large ugly head..... I am a total convert. Bones and skin is on with the shell of the lobster for another batch of stock. There will be a lot of soup this week !!!! :tu: :tu:

Not heard a dicky bird from Saga, why am I not surprised....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mary, chin up gal, Lulu has a long time to go yet, and you are not going anywhere soon..... :D :D :tu: :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 13th, 2017, 5:45 pm

Sending you thoughts of Gache Melee nurse Mimi - would you like me to PM the recipe to you It has been in my family for many years.

Absolutely Chinch - I shall be 75 on Monday and him upstairs willing and hip replacements all in order I will have much longer.

Suffs - this is for you as I bought a pack of cured ham at Morrisons on Friday - it was a special - not a special offer but a new product to them: ..........."Suffolk Cider Cured Ham".

Very good it is too!!!

Mary J

"Suffolk Cider Cured Ham"
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2017, 6:37 pm

Mary, the old Suffolk cure produces marvellous ham and bacon ... I believe Emmetts of Peasonhall still provide the Queen's Christmas ham ... Aspall Cyder is produced just a village away from where I grew up ... but I am a bit surprised at Suffolk Cider Cured Ham being stocked over your way Mary ... what on earth do the locals think? ;)

Tezza ... glad life's taking a positive turn for you :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby FoodMary » August 13th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Suffs - after Morrisons I have found it in our specialist deli which has a huge array of cheese, ham and also fish. They tell me it is selling well. It also has spider crabs from the Channel Islands later in the year. I think I brought you a selection of their very good cheese when I visited.

Apparently the ham is getting very popular - I'm not surprised as it doesn't knock you out but certainly is flavoursome. I have some left and intent to try it in a cheese and chopped ham, cream and potato pie (layered).

Mary X
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 13th, 2017, 8:39 pm

Evening all :hug:

It has been a beautiful day today. Went out for breakfast at a local cafe this morning it was okayish not in a rush to go back. We then went up to Bridlington and had a very long walk, at one point we almost walked up to Sewerby. Then we went to our favourite fish and chip shop for a bite to eat we used the takeaway service for a change, last few times we have sat in their cafe. We sat and watched the world go by. In all today I have walked over six miles. :D I spotted a craft shop as we were walking back to the car but they were pulling down the shutters. I may have to make a special journey up one Saturday to have a look. ;)

Think I have caught the sun a bit. We were originally going to go to Scarborough but by the time we had got ourselves sorted this morning it was a bit late to drive up there. There is a craft shop in Scarborough that I want to visit, not sure when I am going to have time to have a look.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 13th, 2017, 8:54 pm

Cheezy - the East coast does the BEST F & C! :chops:
Having a day out in Brid in a couple of weeks!
Time for me to hop offski now - Monday tomorrow (and Younger Sis's B-day).
Nit nit :hug:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby nursemimi » August 13th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Yes please Mary that would be great!

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2017, 5:12 am

Good Morning Wild ones. I discovered yesterday evening that I have a tide mark from sitting in the sun. We managed to sit out on the back terrace for lunch, I thought that there was enough shade at lunch time. Fancy getting caught in the sun after all this time :rolleyes: It is not painful

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 14th, 2017, 5:27 am

Good morning Moira :D :mug: and everyone as you arrive :D
I've been out walking in the dewy grass in my bare feet while waiting for the kettle to boil ... Now I'm back in bed warming my toes up. It's a beautiful morning :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 14th, 2017, 6:16 am

Morning all! What a lovely sleep! I don't remember a thing. Usually I am up and down like a yo-yo. I wonder if it has anything to do with starting a new novel yesterday. The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. I haven't read a book in months. This one I can't put down in the evening until my eyes start closing. Hopefully that's insomnia beat!
I have physio on my formerly fractured shoulder this afternoon. I fear that waiting so long for my first appointment this is going to hurt! I am very protective over this part of my body so am not looking forward to it at all.
Lovely blue skies out there and a nice cool breeze. Perfect!
Have fun folks!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 14th, 2017, 7:34 am

It's a brilliant book Tezza. Love it :luv: There's a follow up or rather a sort of prequel which is brilliant too. Can't remember the title tho ... Ah yes ... The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessey. :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 14th, 2017, 8:13 am

The blurb reminds me of one of my favourite books - "Oliver's Travels" by Alan Plater.

I like Plater's sense of humour, and thought the "Beiderbeck" books were brilliant.
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2017, 8:15 am

Tezza: somewhere on this forum is a thread "Can you recommend a book to read" but I cannot find it. Lots of useful recommendations there.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 14th, 2017, 8:35 am

Morning all! :wave: Back to horrid dull grey skies this morning after a glorious day yesterday.

Nice to see that most of you have had a lovely weekend and the thought of lovely proper fish and chips is most appealing :chops: :hungry: . Tezza :hug: :hug: I am sure you slept well from the contentment of feeling that old issues have been put to bed as well as enjoying your book. I'm so pleased that your meet up went well.

Had a lovely time out and about yesterday as well as almost getting to the very end of cleaning up this room! I can never get rid of a 'things to do' pile though :rolleyes: . I finally gave in and bought a couple of these last week http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23435/Limey-S ... ad-Cleaner after noticing the state of my wash basin taps AFTER 'other granny' had gone last week :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :oops:. I tried them out yesterday - limescale is one of the banes of my life but I didn't want to fork out for these .. all I can say is that they are blimmin' brilliant and worth every penny!

I have a choice of tidying up the garden or cleaning out the car before setting off to look after GD for a few hours. As I have showered and have nice clean nails I think the car will win.

Have a lovely day! :mug: :mug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2017, 9:01 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We were a bit late this morning because there was a fire over on the plateau and we were watching the fire engines and the canadairs from the top windows. Fortunately they seemed to get it under control fairly swiftly and there are no signs this morning.

After dinner we played a hilarious game of Obahma Llama. I laughed so much a cried and the family ended up laughing at me until gd had to beat a retreat to the bathroom.
Being very silly is really good for one sometimes.

We have let the GCs raid our library and take anything they want bar a few books that are very precious to the pair of us, It is lovely to see young people who are so keen to own books and read them.

Mary I know just what you men about charity giving. It really can mount up. The situation in France is different in that all charitable donnations are tav deductable. Rather shocking news this morning about that breast cancer charity wasn't it? You really have to do your homework before you make a choiceas to who to support don't you.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2017, 10:14 am

It is a major holiday week here too, the Feast of the Assumption is tomorrow 15th August. Deb is back from her Monday group and reports that places such as the " good " vegetable shop are closed as are most of the businesses such as the bathroom shop. Essential places such as the pharmacies take it turns to close. All this means that I shall have to down to the big supermarket this afternoon as it will be closed tomorrow.
I wonder if next door will have a lot of visitors, the grandchildren are screamers

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 14th, 2017, 10:18 am

Good Morning (well just about :? ) Wild Ones. Blue sky and hazy sunshine now, it was hissing down earlier, just for a change. We did have quite a nice weekend though, I managed to get some weeding done so the garden is looking not too bad. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

I just roared at Obama Llama! :lol: :lol: What the heck is that? :lol: :lol:

Had to Google it of course....looks good fun!
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Here too Moira, and as Monday is the normal closing day it means like places like the PO and banks will not be open again until Wednesday.

Tezza Obama Lammais really fun - in the right circumstances. We have always been a family for playing board games and other mad things like Racing Demon. Those moments are very precious these days because we ee each other far too rarely.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2017, 12:32 pm

The supermarket was very civilized at 3 00pm, no queues at the butchers, not that I wanted any meat, the butchers were standing around chatting. However there were a number of Cypriots whose ancestral village is Episcopi, they were standing in aisles in "I remember when all this was fields" mode :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2017, 12:56 pm

Just had a call from a friend who has invited us out for lunch on Thursday here:

http://lebistrotdelagarde.free.fr/

It is very kind of them but i am already worried, because it is very remote and up an extremely precipitous road. Thinking of Amber here :lol: I'll just have to take a Kalm and shut my eyes.
Since we last visited it has gained a Michelin * so quite interesting to see what improvements merit it.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2017, 1:15 pm

and I thought that it was only the British who set up restaurants in places such as old military bunkers

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop