Losing weight - General

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Losing weight - General

Postby dennispc » October 12th, 2017, 2:39 pm

On the economising thread it was suggested a 'losing weight' thread would be a good idea, a general one, not one focussed only on SW, though no reason it shouldn't be included if appropriate. Here goes.

Has anyone tried Tom Kerridge's Dopamine Diet – he lost a significant amount of weight with that?

Dr Michael Mosley, as well as his 5:2, thinks a high fat, low carb diet could be the way to go.

A friend reckons veganism has done it for him.

Me? when the waist starts to thicken a bit I go without breakfast.

What do the rest of you do?
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Re: Losing weight - General

Postby Pepper Pig » October 12th, 2017, 3:14 pm

I lost over a stone earlier this year. It was because of my knee replacement. The medication I was on, and possibly the general anaesthetic, took away any desire for food. I lived on Muller Light yogurts and codeine.

Not recommended. I've put the weight back on but my taste buds have not really recovered.

Older daughter has had 3 babies in the last 8 years and put on a lot of weight. Exactly a year ago she went on The Cambridge Diet. She lost 4 stone and has kept it off. She is also an avid gym bunny but was when she was fat too.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 12th, 2017, 3:23 pm

I exercise more. I also stop being so worried about what goes into my stomach, although that was my downfall in my twenties!
I took up cycling, swimming and running daily when I realised I'd had enough of being overweight, and I really was. I put myself through painful, rigorous exercise, gradually at first until I could manage running a mile around the block then built it up and started to feel so good about the whole thing I set myself a target - the London marathon, which I did. It took 6 hours but I did it, that determined was I to be fit, healthy and a reasonable weight. Through training I had to eat enough to keep my body up to speed. Loads of jacket spuds, mainly with healthy toppings such as ratatouille, no butter or coleslaw or cheese, bananas until they were coming out of my ears.
I realise that such drastic physical activity is not possible for some due to disabilities or injuries, conditions etc, but this is what worked for me. I tried SW. I put on weight! I tried WW. I put on weight! For me exercise is the key. Although right now due to multiple bone fractures I am unable to be as active as all of that! But, knowing how hard I worked and how long it took me to get rid of my excess weight I really don't want to go back if I can help it.
Another thing, I don't fear my love of food! I used to think I loved eating it, but really I love being creative with food. I have learnt what my body needs to survive healthily without over indulging. I still have the pleasure of food in my life without feeling uncomfortable with my weight or worried about dress sizes. I don't know what dress size I am and don't care! I never crave anything, but if I see a Bounty bar (love coconut) I buy one but just have a bite and sit back and read or something other than eat the rest.
I think a positive mental attitude to the whole subject is very important instead of feeling like weight gain/loss/eating is the be all and end all of life. Been there, done that. Not nice.
Sorry, rattled on haven't I?
I still miss my cats...loads
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby mogatogs » October 12th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Afternoon,

For me the last year has been a revelation never really been overweight but since having treatment for an immune deficiency illness and having chemo followed by high doses of steroids I feel like Michelin man(woman!) Used to cycle go to gym, eat healthy but now too exhausted to do either, a walk to the village is as much as I can manage :rolleyes: spoke to consultant who said wait and see - he is male and would fall down the drain as so slim, just want to be me again, thought about SW but they along with WW don't like folk with health problems, suppose just wait and see, steroids due for reducing again next week :tu:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 4:09 pm

I've lost over 30kg from my highest ever weight. It's taken 4+ years, but for the first time ever I've kept the weight off and am still losing slowly. I need to lose another 2-3 kg to get into the normal BMI range.

It's all down to the 5:2 diet. Fasting on two days and eating normally (not over-eating) for 5 days meant I could still have small helpings of cake and chocolate while losing weight. The main factor on fast days was cutting out carbohydrates and fat, and I also kept carbohydrates to a minimum on normal days (cake notwithstanding!).

Now I don't diet quite as rigidly, but if I notice my weight beginning to rise, a fast day or two usually puts things right.

Within the 5:2 fast, I also tried not to eat for 16 hours a day - keeping my eating to within mid-day to 8pm. It does cut down a lot of late night snacking in front of the TV!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Seatallan » October 12th, 2017, 4:13 pm

Oh Mogs.... :hug: :hug: :hug: so difficult what with the steroids and not being able to be as physically active as you'd like. I agree with the consultant- give it time and things will fall into place I am sure....

On the weight loss thing, I lost three stone when I quit smoking (initially quit-related anxiety and then because I felt I might as well keep going). Like Tezza, exercise is the key for me (if it wasn't for the running, swimming, working out, walking and fell-walking I'd be back to where I started by now) and as Tezza said, it's bloody unfair for those of you who for whatever reason or other can't be as active as you'd want to be. I've never been a member of SW but do follow their principals and use quite a few of their recipes but as I've both always loved my food and always been inclined to be plump I think I'm doomed to be a wee bit on the cuddly side. :oops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 4:20 pm

One thing I should have added to my post above - don't wait until you're in your late 50s to lose a lot of weight - the saggy excess skin thing is a real problem the older you are, as it loses elasticity.

I might look slimmer when dressed, but I'll never be able to wear a swimming costume.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Catherine » October 12th, 2017, 4:26 pm

If you put it in less calories than you burn off you will lose weight. I've never understood people who say they have been too busy to diet. Sorry it's just that to me it really is that simple. I appreciate I'm probably the last person to give out diet advise though
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 4:29 pm

I need to go back on 5:2
I ham a fraction below my highest ever weight, but only a fraction
At least I've stopped gaining

I do walk a lot, and have fairly good muscle mass for a woman of my age,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 12th, 2017, 4:41 pm

I’ve put nearly all the weight back on, also my diabetes isn’t well controlled at the moment.

We went back to SW last week. I’m fortunate that my husband does the diet with me. I’m finding it really hard as I need to eat regular meals and manage any hypos I have due to the medication I have been put on, but am finding SW much harder this time round.

I have struggled all my adult life with my weight, I try to keep active, dog walking etc. It’s blinking hard.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » October 12th, 2017, 5:25 pm

5:2 for me too, lost about 3 stone ( was too scared to weigh before I started this time) but I know from the fit of my clothes, have lost 2 stone since starting to weigh myself. Giving up alcohol has been a big factor for me, after a drink my will power seemed to vanish and then it was a pack of crisps or cheese, or both. I feel so much better in myself, look better ( so friends and OH tell me) generally feel like 'me' again. Next i need to try and do some exercise on a more regular level, but apart from walking and swimming I'm not a keen exerciser.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 12th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Catherine wrote:If you put it in less calories than you burn off you will lose weight. I've never understood people who say they have been too busy to diet. Sorry it's just that to me it really is that simple. I appreciate I'm probably the last person to give out diet advise though

If it was as simple psychologically as that then we would all be an ideal or healthy weight. Sorry but I spent years restricting calories, denying my body the calories that my body desired, listening to so called experts telling me what I should or should not eat, nothing worked. What a chore, looking at labels, weighing food, working out fat and calorie content, if I run for ten minutes I'll burn off that half a teacake I ate earlier, that sort of thing. It somehow made that half a teacake I ate feel like a crime that needed erasing rather than something very enjoyable! Life is too short to be counting numbers instead of enjoying healthy food which I believe in the main most of us on WF are lucky enough to be able to do, ditch the scales and forget about dieting. It, in itself, is unhealthy. IMO.

I agree that scientifically energy in should be less than energy out to lose weight but there is a lot more to it than that. It really isn't that simple when you think about the whole scenario per person.
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 12th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Catherine wrote:If you put it in less calories than you burn off you will lose weight. I've never understood people who say they have been too busy to diet. Sorry it's just that to me it really is that simple. I appreciate I'm probably the last person to give out diet advise though

Agreed.
Gruney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 12th, 2017, 7:12 pm

At school, in Home Science, we were given a government published booklet about diets - diets for children, for the elderly etc and reducing diets. The reducing diets were very simple. They didn't list particular foods but basically listed daily meals and suggested proportions of protein, carb and veg for each plus a certain amount of dairy food for calcium.

You see, at the end of the 1960's it was assumed that you would stick to meals without much difficulty and that a plate with the protein, carb and veg components placed on it in separate piles was normal. I stuck to their recommendation and also always had a small piece of cake at around 4pm for tea and always lost weight effectively. It really highlights how eating habits and temptations have changed with all the 'snacking' and huge temptation to eat extra things round every corner plus many meals such as curries, pasta with sauces etc which can have quite a few hidden calories so that the components cannot be easily seen. People with busy lives are dashing round and don't get proper work breaks for meals and eat things bought at convenience stores in the car or on the hoof. (Catherine, dieting needs very careful planning to avoid this, that is what people mean when they say they are too busy).

I agree that all the faddy diets work and Michael Mosley is good because he promotes the health aspects of his diets, but as Catherine says, it is really about balancing calorie intake and expenditure. Tezza has hit the nail on the head - those of us who are prone to excess weight have other stuff going on to deal with and that's what makes it hard.

I still find it easiest to lose weight when I revert to seeing what is on the plate. At the moment, the added incentive of being weighed at SW helps. Crazy when weight loss is something I really want - but clearly don't seem to want it enough to do it without a bit of support. :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » October 12th, 2017, 7:31 pm

I've cut back my crisp-eating severely to 2 standard-sized bags per week (on a Saturday night), and that is nearly always the only time I eat crisps. I also don't eat as much bread as I used to, and things such as cream crackers (with cheese on), KFC & fried burgers (also with cheese), are rare treats. I've increased my fruit & veg intake, use calorie-free sweeteners instead of sugar, even when eating out, and I can't remember the last time I had a fizzy drink (I was never too keen on THOSE anyway).

I DO like my treats, but I do try not to have TOO many :? :lol:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 8:00 pm

As even people who work in research on obesity realise, there is more to losing weight successfully than making sure you eat fewer calories than you expend. Of course, on a simple level, that is the only way to lose weight, but there are lots of other psychological, physical and chemical/hormonal reasons why people are driven to over-eat.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » October 12th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Suelle wrote:over-eat.

Aren't they the key words though?
Gruney
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 12th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Gruney wrote:
Suelle wrote:over-eat.

Aren't they the key words though?

Of course, but not always a simple phenomenon to overcome.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Gruney » October 12th, 2017, 8:47 pm

Suelle wrote:Of course, but not always a simple phenomenon to overcome.

Oh yes - I'm not denying that.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2017, 11:06 pm

I dont generally eat many things like crisps, biscuits or other obvious snack foods apart from some nuts but before you look for th halo, one of the pitfalls of living alone is that is that all the food in the house is mine(mine!) and if I feel like nibbling a bit of cheese, I can because I don't need to keep it to share in a meal tomorrow. And leftovers all tend to get picked at too, perhaps I should ruthlessly bin them restaurant style
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 13th, 2017, 6:36 am

Oh no- that would be horrid! Leftovers don't count. No calories in leftovers (or alcohol between Friday and Sunday evenings, or anything consumed on a birthday or at a wedding or on holiday. :D )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Gruney » October 13th, 2017, 8:28 am

I think a lot of it is down to lifestyle. Like Sue, I live alone, and recognise all the pitfalls she lists. The plus side of living alone is that you really can regulate what you eat, solely to suit what you fancy, and to be fair to myself, I'm very good at not overeating or snacking - no cakes, puddings, biscuits etc. But I do like to go out for a couple of early doors pints - and I do so regularly. It's part of my lifestyle, and I pay the calorie price.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Rocky » October 13th, 2017, 8:39 am

Seatallan wrote:Oh no- that would be horrid! Leftovers don't count. No calories in leftovers (or alcohol between Friday and Sunday evenings, or anything consumed on a birthday or at a wedding or on holiday. :D )

Or food eaten on a long car journey :D

In terms of diet the most efficient one I have been on is the hurricane Irma diet but it's not to be recommended.... Everyone has lost so much weight but exercise has fallen by the wayside.

I find if I exercise and don't snack between meals I maintain or lose very slowly. Not very scientific!
Rocky
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 13th, 2017, 8:48 am

If more energy goes in than comes out, you will get heavier.

I had high blood pressure and was given the option of pills or losing weight. I chose to lose weight and went on the programme at the Health Centre. It was done under the auspices of the high blood pressure clinic, not weight loss. Maybe there's a semantic difference for NHS funding or something!

I lost 30kg (5 stone) over 18 months to two years.

The first thing that happened was that I got gall stones and had to have my gall bladder removed. This is apparently common with a big weight loss. I also had liver stones which needed removing three weeks later... :(

The big problem that is often missed is that you need to lose the fat. Dieting loses muscle as well, because you don't need it to carry the excess weight. I was not told this, so I didn't really do any exercise while dieting. So I didn't lose 30 kg of fat alone. The point was brought home to me one day when I was working on the car. I had removed a bit that I was selling to someone, it needed weighing. I had the bathroom scales on the drive to do this. To work on the car I fetched my trolley jack. It's heavy. I could just pick it up and carry it a few yards. I decided to stand on the bathroom scales to see how heavy the jack was. It was 28 kg. This was 2 kg less than the weight I had lost, but I couldn't move far carrying it!! It was clear that I had lost strength. Quite a lot of it!!

I decided to try and build up my strength but I got ill. :( In addition to the two gall stone operations, I had six more visits to the operating table in the next 18 months. This messed things up. Hormone treatment didn't help and I have added a couple of stone. I need to lose it, but cheese is my downfall. :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » October 13th, 2017, 8:51 am

I forgot!

Re snacking... if you feel a snack coming on, try drinking a glass of water first. You may not feel the need for the snack, or at least not eat as much.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Kacey » October 13th, 2017, 9:06 am

I lost 4.5 stone on the 5:2 diet a couple of years ago. It took me about 12 months and to be honest I found it really easy, but that was mainly a 'frame of mind' thing. I reached the point where I really. really wanted to lose weight, rather than just knowing I should. The 5:2 diet worked for me best, in fact I cut right down for 4 days of the week - Mon-Thu, so that I could still enjoy a beer and a curry at the weekend.

I also quite enjoyed calorie counting. No more glugging the olive oil into the pan, not at 40 cals per 1/2 tsp. I cut down drastically on bread and potatoes, mainly because volume wise you can eat more pasta or rice for your calories. Luckily I don't have much of a sweet tooth so as I rarely eat chocolate, biscuits, cake etc, missing them out was no hardship. Not a big crisp fan either but when I did fancy a nibble, I ate Quavers, at 86 cals per bag (from a multipack) its a decent treat.

The hardest part was cutting back on cheese, I just ate the best sparingly. Strangely after 12 months of not putting half a tonne of Parmesan on every pasta/risotto meal, I've got used to it and still eat most pasta dishes without added cheese on the top.

2 years later I've managed to keep most of it off - I'm about 1/2 stone over at the moment which is a remnant of our September holiday, so I need to get that back off. I can't believe that after all these years of yo-yo dieting, its finally sunk in, that as a fat person with a tendency to lack portion control, I really have to spend the rest of my life on a diet. Finding the 5:2 diet as been marvellous for me as its so easy to follow and allows you to have a 'normal' weekend without worrying about breaking the diet. Whilst I'm at work in the week, its relatively easy to cut right back on calories. There are no shops nearby and I don't have time to stop on the way through town in the morning, therefore if I don't take it to work I don't eat it! I have emergency rice cakes and Waitrose low cal cup-a-soups in my drawer and that's it. I'm in a big open plan office and it's always someones birthday or other celebration so there's always cakes and biscuits around, or we'll do savoury with samosas and pakora - harder to resist! If ever I'm tempted I tell myself I can eat that samosa now - or I can have an extra beer or glass of wine at the weekend. Alcohol wins out I'm afraid.
Kacey
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » October 13th, 2017, 9:09 am

Busybee wrote:We went back to SW last week. I’m fortunate that my husband does the diet with me. I’m finding it really hard as I need to eat regular meals and manage any hypos I have due to the medication I have been put on, but am finding SW much harder this time round.
BB

I think they've tweaked it so much that it's quite a different plan these days. The rot set in with Extra Easy, I much preferred Green and Red Days.

I don't know whether any of you have buffet nights at SW but the whole of last week's local Wednesday group who partook of the food went down with food poisoning. :o :o :o And apparently they know who the culprit was. Poor thing. :oops: :oops: :oops: It's made me think twice about taking part. (My lunch chum yesterday was one of the victims).
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 13th, 2017, 9:15 am

I am not going to Slimming World classes, but I do buy the magazine and follow the recipes. I tend to eat smaller portions, I find I can't eat to much of protein, so I would guess around 2oz in a meal, but lots of veg and I don't eat between meals and don't fry food. So far I have lost just over a stone. Once I finish work I intend to up my exercixe routine, which is bad at the moment, I have gym equipment set up in the garage and am going to make myself use it. :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Suelle » October 13th, 2017, 9:38 am

Kacey has said something important - if you have a tendency to overeat, for whatever reason, losing weight and keeping it off means a lifetime of 'being on a diet', so it becomes a way of life, not a diet! You have to stay in control.

I realised as I stepped on the scales this morning that I underestimated my total weight loss. When I started the 5:2 diet I was about 10kg less than my heaviest weight ever, and since starting I've lost 34 kg - so altogether I'm 44kg lighter than my heaviest ever point. :o
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby smitch » October 13th, 2017, 9:47 am

I tried the 5.2 diet but it really didn't suit me, I felt really dizzy and faint on fast days. My weight has crept up over the past few years and health issues have made it difficult for me to exercise. Once I've recovered from my op, I'm hoping to start swimming again. I've also cut down our portion sizes. It is hard though, I've struggled with my weight most of my life. As a teenager, I became very slim, but wasn't eating properly either. When I look at old photos, I look ill but was convinced I was fat. I need to get OH on board with the exercise though, we travel into work together so it will be difficult for me to do it alone.
smitch
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 13th, 2017, 10:31 am

I think it is always easier to have someone not necessarily dieting with you, but following what you are doing and generally helping you keep going.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Kacey » October 13th, 2017, 10:51 am

Excercise! Hate it. The Gym bores me to tears even if I had the time to go. Luckily for us, since moving to Derby in the summer, we now have a mile and a half walk to the station each weekday morning and the same back in the evening. We try to do it as fast as possible and adding the walk across Bham city for my next train and the return, I'm averaging 1hr 45m per day fast walking (and an occasional girly trot when my 1st train runs late) - it has meant that I can ease up a little bit on the diet in the week - even have a glass of red or a beer on a school night - and still maintain.

Tried cycling the first few days of commuting but haven't cycled for 20yrs and discovered that I'm too cowardly to enjoy it now - plus I fell off twice unhurt and didn't want to risk a third time. All i need to do now is find a comfortable rucksack that sits where I need it so I don't end up with odd aches. I'm om my fourth in 3 months, the one I'm using now is comfy but its a travel one so not hardwearing enough for everyday use. Who'd have thought finding the right bag would be so difficult. Ordinarily I'd prefer a large shoulder bag or tote, but its much easier to walk at speed with a rucksack.

Thought of you the other night Smitch when i was listening to Lemm Sissay on radio 4. Brilliant programme!
Kacey
Registered

Postby smitch » October 13th, 2017, 11:13 am

Lemn is brilliant, he's been such a good Chancellor. Was better than Peter Mandelson would have been!

Don't fancy cycling round here, way too hilly, with awful narrow roads. I hate the gym but love swimming. I'm going to start using some gym equipment though as I'd like to tone up a bit. As you know, we love a beer but I've not been drinking much recently- two operations in two months have put me off a bit!

We live half a mile from the station up a very steep hill, but the trains are so awful we drive to work now. I do have a 20-25 minute walk to the office from the car park but the lure of the free bus on a rainy day is too much sometimes :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 13th, 2017, 11:18 am

When you find the perfect bag, let us know Kacey! I too am on a quest

I have a North Face 25 L hiking rucksack, tough as, but it has a laptop cradle I don't want (who takes a laptop hiking?), too much fiddly organisation in the front pocket, and the non-slip covering on the straps is like a cheese grater on the bare skin is I wear a sleeveless top

I'm considering a Healthy Back Bag , tear shaped,for urban hiking, but I need to actually look at them, I suspect most are too small to stuff a fleece into
https://www.thehealthybackbag.co.uk
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby smitch » October 13th, 2017, 11:29 am

I use a Kanken bag https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/equipment/kanken

I find it really comfortable but my OH isn't as keen. I believe the company started making school bags for Swedish children to prevent back problems.
smitch
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 13th, 2017, 11:34 am

If you really need to lose weight. Make a bet, of an amount that would be painful to lose, with someone you hate!!! :D :D :D :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » October 13th, 2017, 11:58 am

Interesting smitch, I've noticed people wearing those
Might err on the side of not enough organisation but I'll have a look, I'd like a pocket for my water bottle
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Kacey » October 13th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Like the look of those healthy back bags Sue, there's a shop in Belper sell them so I'll have to have a look (Belper is on our list of 'to visit' Derbyshire towns - market town with at least half a dozen real ale pubs). I only really carry my lunch, kindle, make-up bag (to save time I do my face on the train in the morning, there's not many people around to see at 6 in the morning) and an umbrella (Derby is as rainy as Manchester!) so looks adequate for me.

When we're hiking proper OH carries a Lowe Alpine rucksack, lovely bag but the narrower opening at the top makes it a bit awkward to shove anything big in there.
Kacey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 13th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I had a Lowe Alpine rucksack before the North Face, loved it for so long they'd discontinued it when I came back for a replacement
There's a shop called Satchels and Co. opposite the British Museum, they stock HB and other things, I'll pay them a visit soon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 13th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Having seen some of the diners, mostly non-French at george Balnc this week i suspect that their problem was they just ate too much!! I think the secret is to exercise as much as you are able and to stop eating when you are satisfied.

I am not exactly slim but I have been the same weight for many many years. If the waist band gets a bit tight then I cut down on portions and don't eat so many desserts, other than fruit or a small amount of cheese - but no bread. I absolutel honesssstly don't snack or nibble - I've never felt the need to. Even with drinks before a meal I rarely have much more than a couple of olives or nuts because I prefer to "leave room" for the big event :chops: Mr R on the other hand has to be protected from himself and I hide biscuits and such like - mean wife that I am,

My downfall is :chops: the g and t and the extra glass of wine, because it was rather special. :oops: :oops:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 13th, 2017, 1:27 pm

aero280 wrote:If you really need to lose weight. Make a bet, of an amount that would be painful to lose, with someone you hate!!! :D :D :D :D

For a while I went to a gym where the owner was a misogynistic a*sehole. Part of my deal was to be weighed by him each week. I lost weight, there was no way I was going to let myself down! In general, at places like SW, people are too kind!

Anyone who wants to join in with our (friendly) Christmas challenge on the SW page is welcome to!

I've never thought about rucksacks, I have a large one which I used to be able to wear laden with shopping when I cycled everywhere and use instead of a suitcase when travelling and a small one which doubles up as a handbag on days out when walking etc. Both bear the Eurohike label, I've had and used them for years and they still look quite decent.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 13th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Kacey wrote:It took me about 12 months and to be honest I found it really easy, but that was mainly a 'frame of mind' thing. I reached the point where I really. really wanted to lose weight, rather than just knowing I should.

And this sums it up. If you really want to lose weight, you will. It takes dogged determination and will power, but if you want it enough you will succeed
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 13th, 2017, 6:59 pm

I was brought up to clear my plate, however much was put in front of me. I learned a tip somewhere along the line....leave a small amount of food uneaten at each meal. Psychologically you feel in control of portion sizes. Worked for me and still does to this day. :tu:
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » October 13th, 2017, 7:22 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I was brought up to clear my plate, however much was put in front of me. I learned a tip somewhere along the line....leave a small amount of food uneaten at each meal. Psychologically you feel in control of portion sizes. Worked for me and still does to this day. :tu:

That makes sense It about learning to register when you have had enough. If children are forced to clear their plates then they are never going to learn how to listen to their own bodies.
Catherine
Registered

Postby Amber » October 13th, 2017, 8:26 pm

If I could stop drinking and nibbling of an evening, I’m sure I could lose weight. I admire all you people with willpower. I wish I had some. I only want to lose about half a stone, but it’s so, so hard. All my extra weight sits on my tummy :( ...but.....I have three lovely children to show for it! :D
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 15th, 2017, 9:54 am

Having done the Memory walk yesterday, when we walked reasonably briskly it really brought home to me that although I often walk that far in a morning, I very seldom walk briskly for over an hour, or for that matter much more than 15 minutes, I tend to amble and brisk walking would certainly be better for me
Must work on this, tempted to get another FitBit, I lost mine, and one of the things I liked about it was that it clearly distinguished between walking fast enough to qualify as exercise and merely making steps.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 15th, 2017, 11:40 am

Amber, it's when I read posts like yours I realise how fortunate I am to have a body that just doesn't need to snack and like Suelle found 16:8 easy. For example didn't bother with breakfast this morning, just had a coffee, so will get all my food within eight hours today. However, OH really struggles, she needs her biscuit with coffee and likes nothing more than a chocolate in the evening.

Equally I have low cholesterol, even though I do nothing in particular to achieve it.

One of the reasons I mentioned the high fat, low carb diets is coming across 'ketogenic', a diet introduced to kiddies with epilepsy in the early 1900's and still going today. Hence my interest in whether anyone has followed something similar.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 15th, 2017, 11:57 am

As some people here are aware some years ago I followed the Lighterlife programme and lost 8 stones (gained while hypothyroid condition was undiagnosed). The Lighterlife programme works because you are carb free and on only 400 kcal per day and consequently you go into ketosis ... it therefore has to be medically monitored. However it's not really possible to continue such a diet ad infinitum after reaching my target, and I found that my metabolism, already slow because of the thyroid condition, began to slow down even more. The only way to maintain the lost weight is to remain on the packaged soups/shakes for several days a week going in and out of ketosis like a yo-yo. I'm not prepared to do that ... it doesn't feel healthy.
I've gained some of the weight I lost (about a third) but I no longer look haggard and I no longer have acres of flappy skin that made me feel so awful. I am happier plump-ish than scrawny and happier is good :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 15th, 2017, 12:39 pm

I suppose I'm in a similar state. Lost a lot of weight, then put some on while the medics took over.

I was recently doing a bit of a tidy up/chuck out and I found a very old pair of jeans. So old, that they had been stored because I couldn't get into them. But I can now. And they are a bit loose and need a belt! :) I also found a belt from before I started losing weight.

So, I thought that I would just throw this in for interest...

Here's me wearing the jeans this morning, and the belt is done up in the hole that I used when I was at my fattest. I can see my boots inside the belt now!! :o

IMG_1052.jpg
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Aside from all the excuses we make, I think when on a normal reducing diet that planning is the key. Planning what you are going to eat means that you don't get caught out with nothing for breakfast in the house, petrol station lunches, take away dinners etc. My life seems to perpetually be changes of plan during the day which muck up what I had planned or not planned at all so to have a plan b is quite important too in order to try and avoid the pitfalls.

Note that I said 'planning what you are going to eat' rather than planning meals. It's the missed meals, things eaten instead of meals and the munchy nibbles that pull many of us down. If you plan your munchy nibbles or drinks into a daily diet you can actually have some without feeling too guilty - and look forward to them too!

Of course, the trouble starts when there are surprise doughnuts at work :lol: :rolleyes: .

Edited to say - wow Aero! :woohoo:
Last edited by earthmaiden on October 15th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop