Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

Welcome Ottoline ......... after Ottoline Morrell - a very interesting woman and patron of the arts

Phew! is there a coffee pot on the go ..........

Edited to say that after a confused few moments, Ottoline has transmogrified into Quibilah which is (apparently) an Egyptian name meaning 'harmony' ........ there should be more of it :D
Last edited by suffolk on January 13th, 2018, 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Ottoline

Postby scullion » January 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

welcome to lady o - i'll drop some hints to himself for the coffee - i haven't had one yet either.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 11:20 am

Cheers Scully ... remind him, black and strong ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2018, 11:22 am

Welcome to Ottoline, she probably needs one of these :cocktail:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 13th, 2018, 11:25 am

Oooh, I came along too late for this ... I was present for the clean up ;) :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby beldubby » January 13th, 2018, 11:36 am

I know I feel dozy this morning, but shouldn't it be Q after P? I thought O came before P!
beldubby
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 13th, 2018, 11:40 am

:lol: :tu: :oops: :rolleyes: Seems like we all had a heavy night :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Oh Bu$$er!!! :oops:

:idea: I think I have a solution ............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - (Q) Ottoline

Postby scullion » January 13th, 2018, 12:02 pm

or you could delete the thread and start again?
scullion
Registered

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Right, Ottoline has transmogrified into Quibilah :oops: .......... I think we need much more :mug: :mug: :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 13th, 2018, 12:08 pm

twins!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No wonder I feel so discombobulated :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Jay Rayner on R2 with Graham Norton NOW!

They've just played a recording of the Jay Rayner Quartet with him playing piano and his wife singing :kneel: .... who knew??? :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 13th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Good afternoon,
Congratulations on the birth suffs, hope it was an easy one and tea & toast were forthcoming. Shame they mixed up the babies in the delivery room you could have gone home with the wrong baby :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had a lovely time with my sister last evening, we are very close but for various reasons it's been a wee while since just the two of us got together to have a meal and a glass of wine. Thought I might be a bit "muzzy headed" this morning but think my sister must have had the lions share so I'm feeling fine apart from the lingering stuffed up feeling from the lurgy. She really enjoyed the meal I had made and says she will be replicating it which was a nice compliment. :)
It's a horrible, manky day outside so I'll not be straying. Just about to have lunch of a large bowl of scotch broth so that should fire up the internal central heating system. ;) I've no idea about dinner tonight possibly pasta :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 13th, 2018, 12:34 pm

suffolk wrote:Jay Rayner on R2 with Graham Norton NOW!

They've just played a recording of the Jay Rayner Quartet with him playing piano and his wife singing :kneel: .... who knew??? :shock:

Bu$$er, I have only just turned over from R4 ... so missed that ! :( Just listening to Del Shannon and Runaway ... Oh, what memories that brings back ! ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 13th, 2018, 12:46 pm

My fault for muddling the names, somehow I thought that O came before P :oops: , worrying

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 13th, 2018, 1:01 pm

Welcome Lady Q :wave: :wave: :cocktail: :cocktail: :cocktail: to Harmony :tu:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 1:11 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:My fault for muddling the names, somehow I thought that O came before P :oops: , worrying

Moira

:hi5: Just as worrying that I didn't spot it and happily went along ...... :rolleyes: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Oh dear the midwifery service appears to be yet another victim of the NHS crisis. Glad the babes are sorted now and correctly tagged. Time to open the :cocktail: i think

This being France, both the electrician and the painter arrived just in time for a quick (!) pastis beore lunch to co-ordinate the finishing off of the libarary, The former is coming late afternoon on three days from Monday as he thinks 3 coats will be necessary. The later has been peruaded to wait until the week after as we have visitors next weekend.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby scullion » January 13th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Oh dear the midwifery service appears to be yet another victim of the NHS crisis.

i think you'll find this is a private, home birth by a mother caught out by circumstances beyond her immediate control - i.e. no coffee
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 3:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 13th, 2018, 6:48 pm

Welcome Quibilah! You know she'll be called 'Quibs' very soon don't you? :)

I've been out to Bradford-on-Avon all day with a friend doing a recce for a fied trip, doing the town walk, looking at shops, having coffee in a real old fashioned tea shop (and free shortbread though of course no doubt reflected in the price!) and lunch in the cafe we decided looked the nicest. The menu was great and the food delicious but was one of those places that unless you are local and know the drill felt a bit unwelcoming to start with. They allowed people to bring dogs in which surprised us even though we didn't mind. We had noticed another nearby cafe with a sign up saying that dogs were welcome. I didn't think the environmental health people approved of that. Anyway, we had a lovely day. This room still hasn't been tidied but I have picked up a couple of things and moved some other things back downstairs so a start has been made 8-) .

Hope the day has gone well for others too .. :hug: :hug: :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2018, 7:41 pm

suffolk wrote:
Oh, if only Scully .... over 20 years since I last had a ciggie but if I had just the one I'd start all over again .

I packed in on 21st May 1974 - one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. No patches etc. in those days - just "cold turkey". About six months ago, I watched a lad rolling a ciggie in the pub - to smoke outside, of course. For a brief moment, I really, really wanted one! It never leaves you. There is no way I would have one, of course - but............

Edited to say - if this message looks odd, I've had to, rather clumsily, move it from Piran.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

Glad you found us over here on Quibilah Gruney :D :tu:

How was the outing with the stick?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 13th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Welcome baby Q! :cocktail:

A good day here! A bit of housework, pardon the swear word, then Sainsbury's for coffee, lunch and crosswords with mum. We do both really enjoy it as long as we agree not to argue about anything! We did a quick shop afterwards and with the evenings staying a bit lighter for longer totally did not realise how late it was. Gone 4pm and still not quite the need for full headlamps, although it was quite amazing the amount of other drivers with either no lights or full beams!

Cosy and warm indoors now. I was talking to mum today about no matter how much you might not like the location of your home, there is nothing nicer than being able to put your stamp on the inside and making it yours. I love getting that door closed behind me at the end of the day, lighting my scented candles, sitting back and thinking 'I made it lovely in here!' :tu: A few cats would be the icing on the cake. :luv: But that's a no right now. One day! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2018, 10:09 pm

suffolk wrote:How was the outing with the stick?

I eventually got used to not tripping over it; and got into some sort of rhythm. I certainly felt more balanced with it, but by the time I got home, my ankle felt as if it was on fire. Yes, a help, but far from the answer. Serves me right for being so daft when I should have had more sense - but that's what lads do, isn't it?
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 13th, 2018, 10:14 pm

whereabouts in your ankle is the pain?
scullion
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 13th, 2018, 10:37 pm

The ankle has badly pronated - it's happened before, and after a couple of weeks, gone backinto place. This time it's far worse - the pain is in the instep, inside ankle bone, and up the inside of the shin bone.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2018, 1:54 am

it sounds like you've strained the already weakened deltoid ligament. you could try taking the pressure off it and holding it in a corrected position with wide, fabric sticking plaster tape to rest it a bit.
round off the corners of the plaster (this stops it peeling off so quick). if you can, put your bad foot on the opposite knee or invert your foot (the way you'd look at the sole of your foot when sitting) the best you can while sitting, stick the free end of the plaster from the outside edge of the sole of your foot , keeping the foot inverted. bring the plaster to the inside edge of the arch and up over the instep, finishing up just above the ankle bone on the outside of the leg. cut the plaster and round off the corners. it may help to do more than one layer. it should be under a little tension when you put your foot down.
i would also suggest you use an ankle support, and if you're not already wearing them, get some trainers with good, firm arch supports in - and wear them indoors, too or get another pair to use as slippers if that's your wont.
check your normal shoes aren't too worn down and if you're not already, use some decent inserts in them (to take the pressure off the deltoid ligaments in a more long term way),
this may explain the strapping better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvOx9SgY3Wk
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 14th, 2018, 7:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we had one of our unexpected thunderstorms yesterday, small but noisy with heavy rain.

I was flipping through How To Eat by Nigella Lawson yesterday evening. It was published in 1998, she was using pomegranate molasses in a couple dishes back then. So it was available somewhere, although she has always lived in the posher parts of London not out in the countryside.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 14th, 2018, 7:27 am

Thanks a lot Scullion.
Gruney
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 14th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a tad cooler again today. The beasts are fighting for the best place next to the radiator :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 8:12 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Weird dream ... Id left a horse tied up in a stable for a few moments but I couldn't find my way back cos all the fields had been built over ... I still feel stressed about it ... It'll
pass off ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 14th, 2018, 10:49 am

There you are, morning everyone :wave:

I was treated to the snoring robot when I tried earlier.

It was supposed to be raining here overnight too Moira but it didn't materialise as usual. I hope the predicted snow later in the week does the same.

A friend has invited us to lunch so not a lot to do this morning. have a good Sunday everyone.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 10:52 am

Morning Rats :D Yes, I posted about my lost horse and then the robot appeared here too .... I think that 'they' sometimes do work on the 'machinery' at the weekend when they think no one will be using it ;)
Have a lovely lunch :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 14th, 2018, 11:05 am

Morning all.

Yeah, we're back! :bounce: I actually think Lee/Mods know when we have little jobs that we are putting off then do repair work to coincide. For me, while the robot was snoring, I had a blast on my clarinet, put my rubbish out, chopped up a load of green finger chillies and cooked a dry spiced cabbage curry dish from memory because I can't find my cookery book that contains it! I know it's here somewhere!

Still waiting patiently for my sparrows to venture about a foot away from their roost and munch on their seeds. I have my curtains closed so there should be nothing scaring them now, including me! When I put my rubbish out it was like a scene from The Birds out there. Many magpies, thrushes and crows on every roof top. Mum said yesterday about my bird feeder 'They will poo all down your window, you know?' I said 'They do anyway, they might as well have a meal while they're at it!'
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2018, 11:10 am

The interpreters would have a field day with that one Suffs!

It does seem to be weekends when the server goes down - just like in our 24/7 365 day a year office ... when the ID bods sound surprised to find there is anyone there when we complain :lol: .

Well, instead of chatting to you lot I've got some of this room cleared up - hooray! This afternoon I have been summoned to attend a celebratory glass of bubbly and cupcake as the business DIL runs with her sister has been going successfully for 10 years. I am so pleased for them but would so much rather stay in my old clothes and keep on tidying this room than 'mingle' :rolleyes: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » January 14th, 2018, 11:18 am

earthmaiden wrote:I am so pleased for them but would so much rather stay in my old clothes and keep on tidying this room than 'mingle' .
Difficult isn't it? when you feel that you ought to support others and their enterprises but would far rather be doing your own thing.
Personally I am not very fond of cupcakes, I find that they are covered in too much buttercream or maybe that is just me.

Mushroom soup for lunch.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 11:29 am

cyprusmoira wrote:My fault for muddling the names, somehow I thought that O came before P :oops: , worrying

Moira

It does ........ that's the problem :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » January 14th, 2018, 11:33 am

Morning All

You may have lost your horse Suffs, but I never ordered the 24 fish cooked in a glass bottle that the waitress insisted was mine, so I gave up and was doing the conga round a pub I didnt know! If I still drank alcohol I would have blamed that, perhaps the diet tonic had fermented. I was glad to wake up. :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby scullion » January 14th, 2018, 12:03 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Personally I am not very fond of cupcakes, I find that they are covered in too much buttercream or maybe that is just me.

not just you, i find there's way more than i'm prepared to suffer so i scrape it off and leave it on the plate. i'm quite happy to take the frowns and point out that if the cake's good enough it won't need smothering in half its depth with sweetened fat and sprinkley bits to disguise it.
what happened to fairy cakes or butterfly cakes? (actually, the latter often had more goo than i was happy with).
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 14th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Hi Wildies :wave: :luv:

Fancy me missing a birth!! Welcome Quibilah. :D

Will catch up gradually. Back from Scotland yesterday having been up in Inverness for friend's funeral, which was moving and lovely in equal parts. There was a good turnout- around 100 people- so I think the local memorial ceremony is going to be busting at the seams. My friend was notorious for always being late for everything (and just a wee bit on the disorganised side) so we were all delighted when the humanist celebrant turned up late and without the order of service as her printer had thrown a hissy fit. She was mortified- it had never happened to her before- but we explained that our friend was clearly influencing events from Beyond The Grave... :lol:

Anyhow- heaps to do so will pop in again later. Love and hugs to all :hug: :hug: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Chinch ... I've just heard from a gardening friend who was visiting Cromer for the first time yesterday .... she had been expecting 'a posh version of Gt Yarmouth' ... and found a fishing village with occasional pretensions to Edwardian grandeur ... :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 14th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I'm glad all went well Seatallan :hug:
It's blustery today with a gale due this afternoon then snow from tomorrow evening for a couple of days :o I've done all I need to do outdoors and have "aired my wheels" round the block so shan't be venturing back out. I've also taken the premptive step of getting my grocery order delivered tomorrow just incase the delivery slots get pulled for Wednesday.
Looking forward to brunch in a bit of lorne, tattie scone, egg and tomato :chops: . For tonight I've defrosted some cooked stewing steak (surplus from the New Year steak pie) so will make some sort of stew with that. Might make a couple dumplings to go with it :) .
Last edited by liketocook on January 14th, 2018, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liketocook
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Blimey Chinch, the interpreters would have even more fun with you (especially now that you live near 'a fishing village with occasional pretensions to Edwardian grandeur' :? :lol: :lol: )

I agree about far too much buttercream on cupcakes. It doesn't seem to be going away either - have you seen the latest Lakeland catalogue? :? Proper small/fairy cakes had the right proportion ... I wonder if sugar companies have anything to do with the promotion of the inedible?

I'm so glad that things went well in Scotland Seatallen and that there were clearly some influences there! :hug: :hug:

Still clearing the room .. have found 2 bottles of tonic water .. :cocktail: :cocktail:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I cannot remember ever having eaten a cupcake ...... thank goodness ....

Seatallen :hug: :hug: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 14th, 2018, 3:28 pm

How on earth have you avoided that Suffs? They seem to be produced at all celebratory things nowadays where it is rude to refuse.

I have just spent an age booking my ticket and visa to Australia in April :bounce: . There are more bits to book but they can wait until another day as I'd better get ready for the party now and I might lose the will to live if I look at any more badly designed websites. Apparently I am going home with GD afterwards and looking after her until mid-evening ... bang go my supper plans :rolleyes: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 14th, 2018, 4:28 pm

earthmaiden wrote:How on earth have you avoided that Suffs? They seem to be produced at all celebratory things nowadays where it is rude to refuse. ....

I obviously don't get invited to the right sort of celebration :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » January 14th, 2018, 5:10 pm

I love buttercream but then I am a Pig. :oops: ;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 14th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Cupcakes always make me think of village fetes. I love them. :chops: :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop