Nordic walking poles

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Nordic walking poles

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 12:19 am

Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight, adjustable pair for someone (not me) wanting to continue daily walking which includes a gentle gradient on footpaths but that may assist in leg pains?

I've had a little look online and I wouldn't know where to start if I we're to have to choose, so if you've researched this before, for yourself or someone else, what were your findings please?

Cheapness is important but quality and effectiveness more so.

Thanks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Nordic walking poles

Postby Kitewatcher » February 13th, 2018, 12:32 am

Pop into an outdoor shop and try some out. I had an accident two years ago and although I don't use them so much now I found them invaluable for my balance especially on rough terrain and over long distances in town and up hills. They also exercise the person using them over and above the effort they put in. Highly recommended.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 13th, 2018, 6:37 am

For cheapness, you might find one of your local charity shops might have some used ones.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

I don't have any but friends who do have and like Leki, and I have a Leki walking stick

If cost is important, why not put a want ad on one of those buy / sell / exchange sites you researched recently? Must be some lurking among all the other abandonded exercise equipment people have in corners

Leki (and others) have posted good online videos on how to adhust the length (v. Important) and get started
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 10:11 am

Thanks for the comments. I also have a Leki walking stick which I no longer need to use but found it much better than the wooden one provided by the hospital. I'll pass that recommendation on. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2018, 12:33 pm

i have some that i bought from aldi (i think they're 'adventuridge' make), in their reduced section, about five or so years ago (for about a fiver), in order to make it up the 170 steps to our room while on holiday.
they have spring loaded ends (which are meant to be good, so i'm told). they've had a lot of use in the last year.
have you looked on eBay, freecycle and gumtree as well as the charity shops? if you put out a wanted post on free cycle you may find someone in your area has some they don't want. (the ferules are replaceable if they're worn out).
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Good to know about the Aldi ones. I'll mention eBay too as I know he is a regular user of the site. In fact I will have a look at the sites you mention for him as a prompt as I know he is only pondering at the moment and feel that he is reluctant to admit that he would benefit from some form of walking aid, especially for slopes.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » February 13th, 2018, 1:15 pm

sometimes a little bit of support, at the right time, is all you need!
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » February 13th, 2018, 11:52 pm

You can, in theory, turn the spring off. Except I can’t, and always have to get someone else to do it for me.

I used to have some very cheap poles, but found the ‘twist’ (for length adjusting) used to give way easily, and unexpectedly. :(
Amber
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 14th, 2018, 11:15 am

Tezza - I have these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 definitely cheap & cheerful but fine if you are not undertaking rough terrain.
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » February 14th, 2018, 3:54 pm

You also need to decide whether you want the poles with handles that are in line with the pole, or at 90 degrees like a walking stick.

I have a pair that does both. The cork handle of the "walking stick" bit runs on down the shaft of the stick. They are sprung and the spring can be turned on and off.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Return to The Coffee Shop