Where do you keep your cookbooks?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Where do you keep your cookbooks?

Postby cooksalot » February 14th, 2018, 2:06 pm

I’m thinking of getting some extra shelves out up in a corner of my kitchen where there is space. I like the idea of a space for the fruit bowl, the fondue set and maybe my crystal cheese dome. But what else?
My cookbooks and recipe folder are currently weighing down a shelf in the front room. Should I move them into the kitchen?
Where do most people keep their cook books?
cooksalot
Registered

Re: Where do you keep your cookbooks?

Postby Herbidacious » February 14th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I have a floor to ceiling bookshelf (and a half :o ) in the front room which also contains several other floor to ceiling bookshelves. I don't like keeping books in the kitchen (just about the only room!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 14th, 2018, 2:24 pm

All over the place to be honest!

There are two large bookcases full of them in the study. One large floor to ceiling book corner area in the living room which is probably 25% food related. A handful in the kitchen - we've got some of those ikea mini flat shelves which have the books flat against the wall facing out...we tend to keep 5 or 6 of whatever we're currently cooking from most in those for quick reference. Plus one in the cook book holder most of the time.

A few in a pile on the coffee table in the conservatory. Some next to the bed. An overflow on shelves in a spare bedroom...
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby cooksalot » February 14th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Wow, OMCO, that’s some collection! I’ve got about 15 (result of a recent cull!). I’d quite like to keep them in the kitchen, just a bit worried that steam etc. might ruin them.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 14th, 2018, 2:48 pm

We seem to have walls full of bookcases in every room other than the kitchen, bathroom and spare room. The almost ceiling height bookcase in the dining room is 2/3s full of cookery books and 1/3 full of gardening books ... it's next to the door through to the kitchen so as convenient as it can be, given that our kitchen doesn't have one iota of space left for bookshelves.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 14th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Mine are in the living room, couldn't squeeze them into the kitchen
A part of me would like a bigger kitchen breakfast room with a bookcase near the table, but I am aware that I ditched a couple of Mum's cookbooks because having lived in various kitchens fir 60 years they resembled the old filter from inside thd extractir fan, and most significantly, smelled like it :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 14th, 2018, 3:23 pm

I'm sure most of you know about our great library refurbish which is just about finished. I have reduced well over 600 cookery and food related books to about 400. I do keep a few old favourites and seasonal books in the kitchen tucked into the alcove in which the microwave sits.

The library is on the first floor which means a bit of a trek if I need a specific book - all good exercise though.

I have now promised if another book comes into the house one has to leave.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 14th, 2018, 3:51 pm

cooksalot wrote:Wow, OMCO, that’s some collection!

I bought another 2 yesterday :rolleyes: I, too, have tried to implement the ‘one in one out’ rule but it doesn’t always happen. I’m ruthless with other stuff (crap) around the house and have a cull a couple of times a year. I find it much harder to get rid of books!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 14th, 2018, 7:04 pm

My books are all in the living room - I've got more than 200 cookery books so there wouldn't be room in the kitchen, even if I thought keeping them there would be a good idea. I'd be worried about the spines of books getting greasy if they were kept in the kitchen.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » February 14th, 2018, 7:07 pm

StokeySue wrote:Mine are in the living room, couldn't squeeze them into the kitchen
A part of me would like a bigger kitchen breakfast room with a bookcase near the table, but I am aware that I ditched a couple of Mum's cookbooks because having lived in various kitchens fir 60 years they resembled the old filter from inside thd extractir fan, and most significantly, smelled like it :sprout:

That's why I don't keep any of mine in the kitchen!
Last edited by Herbidacious on February 14th, 2018, 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm

My husband is trying to implement he one in, one out rule. I am not.

I did go through a phase of only buying vegetarian cook books, but I have relaxed that. However I don't think I've bought one yet this year. I haven't seen one that appeals yet. I didn;t get any for Christmas either :( God knows how many I have. I am both ashamed and not ashamed! They are, after all, a source of pleasure.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » February 14th, 2018, 8:43 pm

I've got some in a cupboard in the kitchen, some in a little bookcase in the dining room, some in a little bookcase at the top of the stairs and some In the shelved out study/emergency bedroom. Hadn't noticed the kitchen ones becoming smelly, but the cupboard door is generally shut and they are below the level of any cooking.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 14th, 2018, 8:49 pm

I've a few in an alcove between the kitchen and dining room and most of the rest (bar a few beside my bed/ chair) are in a large "Billy" bookcase in my bedroom, basically because I'm short of places to put one and it fits in my bedroom nicely. I do love to read a cookbook for inspiration if nothing else :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Amber » February 14th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Most are in the Billy book case in the morning room, some are in a kitchen cupboard, and the smaller size ones are in bookshelf drawers in the lounge. I have managed to get rid of some, but it’s so difficult. (Even if OH’s favourite meal these days is either a M&S dine-in meal, or a takeaway curry. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )
Amber
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » February 14th, 2018, 9:54 pm

The 120 or so that I use regularly are in the kitchen. We have metre thick walls, and therefore wide window sills, so they serve as grand bookshelves....and so far I haven’t found any problem with greasy books, but I wouldn’t really worry about that anyway, the books are there to use, they are not precious books. Many are in the wall to wall bookshelves in the dining room and the rest are in the room we call the library. Although we have books in the other rooms, no cook books there.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 14th, 2018, 11:19 pm

It really depends on the size and type of kitchen you have and what kind of extractor arrangement. If it is an open plan kitchen/dining room with sofas etc then books can probably be stored some way from the cooking area.

I live in a small terraced house and used to store the books on a shelf away from the cooker in the kitchen. I have fan with a filter above the cooker but not a huge hood/extractor fan and find anything left out has to be cleaned quite regularly due to grease even though I don't fry things that much. When I kept books in the kitchen they had to be cleaned and I would never keep the larger 'coffee table' kind of cookery books there (I am not hugely house proud but once they are greasy dust sticks to them and they are not nice to handle). I had a huge cull and nowadays I keep what remains in the next room which is predominantly a dining room. They stay nice and clean but are easy to get to. Most of my non-cookery books are now stored in (Billy) bookcases with glass doors and don't get dusty at all - I highly recommend that for all books whatever room they are in, especially if, like me, you think life is too short for continually dusting books ;) .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 15th, 2018, 7:41 am

At the moment, 1/3 of my cookery books are wanting shelves in my bedsit but for the moment are stacked up in the corner of my room on the floor. The rest are in my mum's garage in storage. Ideally I would have them all in one place aka around me and on shelves!

In my last residence Billy bookcases from Ikea were brilliant in both of my bedrooms. Floor to ceiling I had four and they accommodated all of them, but since then I'd probably need at least six!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 15th, 2018, 8:28 am

I have converted our box room into a library / office, so mine are all in there until I am using one then it's taking e n to the kitchen.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 15th, 2018, 11:16 am

earthmaiden wrote:Most of my non-cookery books are now stored in (Billy) bookcases with glass doors and don't get dusty at all - I highly recommend that for all books

:hi5:
Glass doors are of course the answer to kitchen bookshelves that I have never even considered
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » February 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Glass doors are a great idea but not very practical for me.
I think I’ll move most of my well used, well thumbed cookbooks (and my trusty folder!) into the kitchen but keep the glossier coffee table type books in the front room. If I don’t end up using some of those soon they could be part of the next cull!
cooksalot
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop