Public loos and other gripes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Public loos and other gripes

Postby Grasshopper » April 15th, 2018, 7:33 pm

How many of you peeps have been in coach toilets? They are TINY! When I went in one on the way to London in 2001, I had to wedge myself in a corner in order to pull my trousers up.
I prefer to use the disabled bogs at 'W' - they have their own sinks.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm

That's the thing.
Accessible loos are for everyone, not just for those with mobility issues.
I also use them when no other is available and nobody who can't access the regular one is waiting.

Bit of a convoluted sentence.
Hope you get my drift.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2018, 9:20 pm

re outward opening doors - if or some reasons you've not looked the loo door properly, there's no possibility of quickly slamming it shut with your foot when someone starts to come in. This is a highly important option the one must have... :D

And what of train loos... they almost always seem to be suffering from missed aims...

I once had a very unpleasant experience on a coach travelling back to Oxford from London. I won't go into details.

Apart from the previously mentioned worst toilet experiences, I forgot the A&E at Kings, Denmark Hill incident, c.2010. Let's just say the walls were smeared with something. I suppose it was a Friday night...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2018, 9:29 pm

My local Sainsburys re-did the car park a couple of years ago. Ordinary spaces were made larger and there is a double line between each space which leaves a bit of room for people to open doors. It's lovely.

It is strange the way some people don't leave a cubicle as they would wish to find it isn't it. Even allowing for mishaps the mind boggles sometimes. The ladies cubicles at work are sometimes left in a very poor state, all the more intriguing when we are on night shift and there are only a few women in the building, all of whom we know and seem nice, clean ordinary people.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » April 15th, 2018, 11:52 pm

I recently had an accident and broke my hip. At motorway service stations the loo seats were too low for me to get up. The disabled loos needed a RADAR key which I did not have, but one could be obtained from a shop the other end of the service station. I was on crutches. Years ago (I hope it is improved now) at Swansea station you had to go and ask for a key to the disabled loo from the Station Master. At one eating place on a trunk road the loos were upstairs. Very inconvenient. It isn't until you have mobility problems that you realise how little thought goes into cubicle design.
At the Cardiff flower Show on Friday my poor husband had to walk miles around the outside of the castle because the contractors who run these shows had so little thought for those who didn't fit into their scheme of things. He was exhausted before we even got to the show.
Loo doors open outwards in case anybody collapses behind the door and prevents it being opened, if they open inwards.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 16th, 2018, 2:51 pm

I have a lot of meetings here, it is open to the public & worth a hour wandering around if only to find the "hidden" loos http://gb.toto.com/company/references/r ... ews%5D=658
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Had a problem this morning. Having 'done my business' in one of the regular loos, I discovered to my horror there was no loo-roll. :o :o :o :o :o
I had to shuffle carefully into the next cubicle (after flushing the toilet first), so I could wipe myself. :oops:
Good thing there was no-one else about! :oops:
:oops:
Grasshopper
Last edited by Grasshopper on April 16th, 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm

I've done that before too grassy! :lol: It's a case of that sinking feeling, only doubled! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2018, 7:12 pm

I had to flush the second loo before I could use it, as some bright spark had used it, wiped, and left the evidence! :sprout:
:sprout:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 16th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Always, Always, Always check for paper in a public loo before 'going'.... :bounce:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Not always easy when one is 'in a hurry' tho. :o
Besides, this was a 'W' toilet, in the morning, after the cleaners had been. :oops:
:oops:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2018, 10:58 pm

Whenpeople used to talk about the arrival of the "paperless office" at work I tended to ask why they had started with the ladies loos? :oops:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 17th, 2018, 7:48 am

:D

In appreciation of the joke, rather than the inconvenience...

It's weird, isn't it, how public toilets are sometimes left in a dreadful state, with people defecating on the floor. A particular bugbear of mine is the number of people (I can only speak for blokes here of course) who don't wash their hands afterwards. I understand it has been estimated that half of men and a third of women don't wash their hands after using a public toilet. That would certainly agree with my (naturally limited) observations.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2018, 8:26 am

I would say never go travelling ANYWHERE without a packet of moist tissues, an antibacterial spray and a tiny box of soap leaves. I ussually include a dry facecloth to use as a handtowel.My mother always drummed into me never ever to put my handbag on the floor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She added that she hated to see women putting handbags on the table beside them because the bags had probably been on the loo floor :scared:

We once had a windscreen cracked by a plastic bottle full of wee that was thrown from and HGV :sprout: :sprout:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 17th, 2018, 8:39 am

Badger's mate wrote:I understand it has been estimated that half of men and a third of women don't wash their hands after using a public toilet. That would certainly agree with my (naturally limited) observations

That's why I never eat complimentary nibbles in pubs.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2018, 8:49 am

On the hand washing thing, in the ladies you often have to queue again to wash. I often notice how many people touch their mouth or hair (even reapplying lipstick) while waiting.

Apart from a complete lack of understanding of chain of transmission, any good beautician will tell you that you should always wash your hands before touch your face to avoid blemishes (counsel of perfection I know). Like many people who have worked in path labs I tend to wash my hands before and after doing almost anything; hygienic but not very good for my dry, brittle, nails
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2018, 9:05 am

Ratatouille wrote:We once had a windscreen cracked by a plastic bottle full of wee that was thrown from and HGV

I know someone who was involved in managing roadside cleanups on various A roads in the UK ... he said there are hundreds of plastic milk bottles full of wee along every mile of our road verges ... the pressure that lorry drivers are under to meet time targets coupled with the lack of lorry parks and loos means it is standard practice that they pee into the milk bottles as they drive along and then hurl them out of the window ... apart from the sheer unpleasantness and the littering, and the danger to other vehicles from flying bottles as Rats has recounted, the danger from huge lorries hurtling along at 70mph while the driver carries out this manoeuvre is horrifying :scared:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 18th, 2018, 12:45 pm

My mother used to make me wait outside the cubicle with her handbag, so she didn't have to put it on the floor.
I hated it, felt really conscious.
Should add this was probably aged 8-14, then I began to rebel.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 18th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Has anyone ever carried one of those portable urine bottles in the car for use in the event that you get caught short on a long drive? I never have, and always thought the female one looked awkward! On a long journey recently with my Dad we were miles from the next service station when he seriously needed to go and i suggested he got one. He didn't fancy the thought! Actually, when we arrived at the loo stop I've never seen his little legs move so fast! Worth the wait (for me anyway) for the comedy effect! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 18th, 2018, 3:25 pm

The She-Wee
Wasn't it on Dragons' Den?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 18th, 2018, 5:01 pm

The She-Wee! Yep, that's it!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 18th, 2018, 8:14 pm

How about Stadium Pal?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8LlwlCU0EA

I believe they do a female version.

edit: Stadium Gal
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2018, 4:04 am

She sees are great for camping. Think you'd have trouble using one sitting in a car though.
Currently doing a bit of globetrott, the loos at Abu Dhabi airport were the European sort but each had a nice little plumbed in shower beside the pedestal. Not seen them quite like that before. Very nice.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 20th, 2018, 4:24 am

Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2018, 7:31 am

Extrene tutting indeed :D

There are some really silly ones - stags and does, top hats vs. picture hats etc

Slightly surprised he found the Mars and Venus signs, also used by biologists, particularly confusing. I thought most people knew those? But probably not cros cultural
These
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2018, 8:13 am

Oh how I love Jay Rayner :luv: :luv: :luv:

If I didn't have my wonderful OH, Mr Rayner would be in serious danger of kidnap ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 20th, 2018, 8:44 am

Ah! Yes!

Many years ago while on holiday in Scotland a coachload of English tourists pulled into the beauty spot and there were many confused ladies going into and coming quickly out of the “Laddies”. :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2018, 10:51 am

:lol: :lol: ...
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2018, 11:28 am

The signs to the loos at Limassol Mall show the standard male/female figures but with crossed legs :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 20th, 2018, 11:42 am

:lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 20th, 2018, 4:44 pm

So 'wow!'d by the spaciousness of the cubicles in Luton town hall today was I that I forgot to check for toilet roll. Oops! :oops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 20th, 2018, 8:45 pm

A friend of mine from school (so years ago!!) lived in a big house. They closed off the passage to the extra back door that was previously used only by "staff" and put a loo in there. It was located against the back wall, but it was originally quite a long passage, so the loo was about 20ft from the door!! :)

The other thing that seemed to be unique to the Edwardian terraced houses in the city was that a separate loo was situated off the landing where the stairs turned through 180 degrees before reaching the first floor. This meant that the loo was a normal size, but the ceiling was about 15 ft high!! :) My father put a high shelf over the door and stored all the suitcase there.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 20th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I can recommend the public loos off the main concourse of St Pancras.
Free, clean, and lots of them
But I realised today the automatic flush ooerates only whenyou stand up and walk forwards
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 25th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Check these out - esp pic # 11! :shock:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... -304712577

:o
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 25th, 2018, 9:33 pm

I'm loving the wall of loo roll! :lol: Not so keen on the conjoined pans though!

I had a funny episode today involving a toilet. Me and mum were in Costa in a Tesco. After we'd had our coffee and descended in the lift to where we thought the customer toilets were we realised they were back up in the lift in Costa! By now almost wetting ourselves up we went to find two cubicles. One had female plus disabled symbol, the other male and disabled symbols. I was most desperate so grabbed female, mum grabbed male! Trying to pull my drawers down, as you do, I rested my shopping list and reading glasses in the sink and got on with things. The toilet had a flush that you just wave at. No soon as I had waved, I went to retrieve my shopping list from the sink to wash my hands and whoosh! The tap gushed with an almighty force soaking my shopping list. Mum in next cubicle heard my cries of 'Oh you must be joking!!!' then after a couple of minutes tapped on my cubicle door. 'You alright in there?' 'Yep, it's alright, just drying my shopping list under the hand dryer, be with you shortly!' :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » April 26th, 2018, 9:15 pm

When we went to the top of the Post Office tower last year, there were separate ladies and gents cubicles, but in the same room. Guess who’d never seen this before and went in the wrong one? :oops: :oops:
(and wondered why it was so dirty?)
Amber
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop