Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Just heard that Dale Winton has died at a mere 62
Oh dear :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 18th, 2018, 11:41 pm

yes, very sad. i was wondering if his death was linked to his history of depression.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 19th, 2018, 5:22 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I hear that some places in the UK reached 25C yesterday, the same temp as us :D but I bet that you have not got olive pollen, the wretched stuff makes me sneeze.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2018, 5:36 am

Our cherry blossom is nearly out Moira. I love to stand underneath it on a warm day and listen to all the bees above, it sounds like Thruxton race course in the distance !

Timbers and beams arrive today. The heavy bits of bespoke engineered steel are in situ and our cars will be moved to the lovely neighbours drive for extra space.

After the builders had left yesterday at 4.30pm we found the remains of a bucket of mixed cement and used it to re-point our patio, over the years the cement had gone and weeds had been coming up so Mr. Z. having weeded it yesterday, it seems silly not to use the cement which hopefully means no more weeding of the patio for a few years. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 19th, 2018, 6:59 am

Morning all,

It looks to be hot and sunny here again today as it was yesterday. T-shirt, shorts and sun glasses weather. I'll probably do the same again today. A bit of work in the morning, stop around midday for lunch then carry on when it cools down later on. I have a new front door being fitted this afternoon. A lady from their office phoned yesterday telling me off as the council had chased them up on the job but apparently I was not in on Saturday when they called to fit. I had a lovely argument with them that this definitely NOT booked for Saturday otherwise I would have it on my calendar and would have been here. She soon backed off. It will be bright red. Can't wait! Other than that, more unpacking and shifting unwanted clothes over to the clothes bank.

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 19th, 2018, 7:11 am

Good morning wild ones. It's going to be hot, hot, hot today. Food shopping this morning before it gets too hot, then the garden will be calling me ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2018, 7:19 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
26.7C here yesterday 8-) !!!
Amber :) part of the problem is that Ma wanted her ashes interred 'on the family farm'. The farm where she lived and where we grew up has been sold ... bro 's farm is his family's but not my family's. We have no access to it except via bro. My grown up children have no memories of Ma there ... she never lived there ... when DD was 3 my parents moved to the coast and lived there for almost 40 years and my suggestion is that their ashes should be scattered there, either in the sea by the lifeboat or in some such way. failing that, combine both parents' ashes and some go to the farm and some to the seaside. Seems reasonable to me :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 19th, 2018, 7:48 am

cyprusmoira wrote:but I bet that you have not got olive pollen, the wretched stuff makes me sneeze.

No, we have birch! A tree increasingly popular with urban landscapers, the groves round Tate Modern look great but...

I interred OH's ashes in the family tomb with his mother, grandmother, and auntie. My parents fortunately weren't interested in what happened after the cremation so the garden of remembrance sufficed

Just seen a trailer for yet another TV
version of The Woman in White, doesn't the BBC know other Victorian novels are available? :lol:

Chirping update: still there :evil:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 19th, 2018, 9:34 am

Good morning everyone,

The wind seems to have died back, it's still quite mild but grey and gloomy and definitely cooler that yesterday. Yesterday was the first day where I didn't need to pop the heating on low for an hour or so in the evening, I'm not sure it wll stay off all day today though as it's forecast to be quite chilly this evening. It's usually well into May before I would say that my heating is fully "off" for the warmer months.

Moussaka for dinner tonight which will take 5 mins to finish prepping later as I griddled the aubergines and made the mince mix yesterday.

My goal for today is to get the rest of the seeds I want to start indoors sown and then tidy out my seed box. If it stays dry I'll hopefully get a few bits done outside as well. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 19th, 2018, 9:46 am

I spread my OH's ashes at a well known beauty spot, overlooking North Wales and the Irish sea.
Gruney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 19th, 2018, 9:47 am

Amber wrote:Suggs, could some of the ashes possibly be spread in the grounds of the wedding venues?

Amber wrote:Stuffs!!

Amber wrote:Suggs!!!

Amber wrote:S....u...f...f...s!!!

Don't you just hate it when your phone thinks it knows better (well my phone does) I was telling a friend about an artist called Percy Kelly (Seen on Country File) and 3 times my phone decided his name was Perry !!!
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 19th, 2018, 9:58 am

When my Mum died 26 years ago, my Dad wouldn't let her ashes out of her sight. He told me in no uncertain times that when his time me that he wanted his ashes mixed with hers and interred in his family grave in east London.

I did comply - mostly - as I have held some of those mixed ashes back with the intention of taking them to Ireland (Mum was Irish) and interring those into my Mums family grave. It seems right to me and hopefully I will eventually get there as it's already been 15 years...
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Afternoo all :wave:

Phew, what a day. We entertained Old friend (87) and her friend. We said 12.30. They arrived at 11.30 :scared: We sent them off for a walk to see what has happened to the hameau since she lived here. Mr R then took her on a tour of the house to see ditto
It does not help that she is as deaf as a post.

Anyway it eventually went fine. her friend is a real country girl from way up in the alpes des Haute Provence. She brough us some of her own honey, However it turns out that she has an Eritrean family living with her, she "recued"them and they are gettting on well but she is really srtuggling to teach then French which of course they must do to become citizens. The lady was a chef and he was a carpenter. We have suggested they come down here a few times to teach me some dishes and try to get through via their limited English.

Sounds like a project. I am just sad they are at least an hour away otherwise we would love to get involved. Has anyone got any helpful suggestions? It seems as if they need a really intense course.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 19th, 2018, 2:14 pm

Rats: will you be collaborating on an Eritrean cook book?

I have just made a Quiche Lorraine to served with salad for supper, there should be some left over for lunch tomorrow.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2018, 3:33 pm

i suppose your internet connection isn't up to a Skype video call, is it?
my partner has been using it on group meetings between london, Brindisi, new york, california - and stevenage (surprisingly the stevenage person has the worst connection, not us).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 19th, 2018, 3:53 pm

fao suffolk. the 'open studios cornwall' handbook is out for visiting from 19-28 may .
https://www.openstudioscornwall.co.uk
there only seem to be a couple to visit actually in snives but maybe a trip up to krowji (a whole load of artist workshops in the old grammar school building) in redruth or to the group workshops down at st buryan and lamorna may be interesting.
i rather fancy the introductory course on intaglio printing, down in 'mens pants',
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 19th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Thanks for that Scully :D :tu:

I ache all over! OH cut the grass and we've edged the beds ...I pricked out and potted up the courgette seedlings, cut back the shrubby salvias and ferns and other stuff and did some weeding, dug up some cyclamen seedlings and potted them up, sowed some beetroot and Swiss chard seeds and found the wire netting and pegged it down over the seedbeds to keep the neighbours cats off (they rarely come in the garden except when I've just sown some seeds :rolleyes: ) ... watering the seeds and lots of other bits and pieces done and a lot of time spent sitting quietly and watching the birds collecting worms and bathing in the birdbath ... we also found evidence that Hefty Mk 2 had visited overnight so the feeding station has been spring cleaned and food and fresh water has been put out ... a wodge of Gala pie, salad and beer for supper ... a lovely day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 19th, 2018, 6:31 pm

Skype is impossible here despite our sat internet which costs a fortune, But at lezst we have a connection.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 19th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Smashing day here, too much sun, Mr. Z. has red shoulders !!! Our other patio has been well and truly pointed. All stepping stones have been grass trimmed back. My umbrella plant that lives in my bedroom has been taken out and dusted (it was thick with it). Topped up with new earth and given a very long drink. Lots of planting and watering.

Timbers and beams arrived, they are HUGE and very beautiful and they smell nice !

Time spent communicating with a Notary Public as we also need an Apostille for the POA in Spain.

Tomorrow I need to bake a cake for the weekend. Mr. Z. has a days work so no distractions ! Bruddy shattered now so an early night. Griggia is still out... :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 19th, 2018, 9:04 pm

I managed to sun dodge between the trees with about ten loads of unwanted clothes to the clothes bank. That made a bit of space! I found my Global knife, digital camera and i-pod. I only have to find my Sabatier and I will be happy. My feet throb! More tomorrow though before the Job Centre.....night folks.... zzzz
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 20th, 2018, 4:17 am

A quick wave from the other side of the world :wave:. A glorious sunny day here in Sydney. Got the bus to Bondi and had a gorgeous big bowl of fruit, yogurt and museli overlooking the beach 8-) . Now slumming it in Macdonalds after a lovely long coastal walk .... free internet and cool drink. I am reminded how global everything is now compared to 1968, 1999 and even 2003. Handy in some ways but sad in others.

Suffs, I thought for a
minute you were feeding hedgehogs with gala pie! I love gala pie, not had any for years.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2018, 5:08 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am told that parts of the UK were hotter than Cyprus yesterday :rolleyes: I am worried for the runners taking part in the London Marathon on Sunday.
We usually play Mah Jong on Friday but Deb's back is still painful so will not be going. Most days that would not matter but Effie comes on Fridays, the latest plan is for her to retreat under the carob tree out of Effie's way, the chairs down there are suitable for Deb's back

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 20th, 2018, 6:56 am

Good morning wild ones. What a fabulous Sunny day we had yesterday, the tan is well on its way. ;) we have another today, so the bbc will be out tonight :bounce:
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 20th, 2018, 7:46 am

Good morning all! Another bright day here! Shame I have to spend most of it trekking to the job centre...BUT....I get to spend time with my mum at the same time, all my laundry is done ready to be strung up in a bit, and this morning I found my digital camera charger in the most obscure place and am looking forward to a photographic outing this weekend. :bounce: I also found my Sabatier knife! I doubt the dreaded job centre could hack me off today if they tried! :bounce:

Enjoy the weather folks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2018, 8:21 am

Good morning all :D :luv:

Another glorious day ... the garden looks wonderful (isn't it odd that only a couple of weeks ago its appearance was really getting me down :lol: ). OH was woken in the night by hedgehog shenanigans on the terrace ... he's a much lighter sleeper than me. ;)

We're heading down to Suffolk today to meet up with an old friend from art school ... ages since we've met up but he's just bought an old farmhouse in a village where I used to live ...on the way we'll call in at Halesworth ... a little market town where I lived and worked when I was first married ... it has some good butchers and greengrocers and a proper ironmongers and a deli and bakery and is very good for food shopping. I think that Lola will have her top down 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2018, 8:48 am

Morning everyone - evening em :wave:

At last the weather really has turned and we on longer have to look out of the window to see what sort of day it is. I heard a cuckoo down by the river this morning and I guess the swifts and nightgales will arrive any day.

I've just bought a Backmate having tried out a friend's on Tuesday. It makes sitting correctly so much easier and more comfortable.

Tezz, I shouldn't take your newly rediscovered knives to the JC tempting as it might be :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It is lovely when you find that which has been lost isn't it? We are still rejoicing at several items unearthed from the attic next door.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2018, 8:50 am

Meant to say, have a lovely day suffs :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

Ratatouille wrote:Tezz, I shouldn't take your newly rediscovered knives to the JC tempting as it might be

Rats ... I'd meant to say that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right, off we go ..............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 20th, 2018, 10:17 am

Good morning everyone,
It was really misty when I got up but it's lovely and sunny now so I definitely want to spend some time outside in the garden today. It's not hugely warm though so I think a cardi or fleece will definitely be needed.

Tonight I'm making spaghetti & clams, the clams are Spanish tinned from a deli in Glasgow as impossible to get clams fresh/frozen or tinned around here which really frustrates me as we export loads, mainly to Spain....
liketocook
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 20th, 2018, 10:50 am

Morning (ish). I always enjoy reading back and this morning as no exception - you are all very busy!
We're off to the van later, then have a trip to Venice lined up for next week. The dogs are going into doggie clink.

I'm looking forard to shopping at the Rialto, as we are self catering and staying outside the busy bit, on Giudecca. I forsee lots of salads
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 20th, 2018, 11:33 am

Ratatouille wrote:I guess the swifts and nightgales will arrive any day.

The swifts have been here for a couple of weeks, I don't know about the nightingales, you have to go up to the mountains to hear them.
Decidedly cooler today, supper plans have been revised ,we are no longer having salad but will now be having chili prawns.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2018, 12:00 pm

We have a very poorly pussy cat. Can't tell exactly why but Mr R is just about to set off for the vets. He just doesn't want to know - that's Jules not Mr R. I can foresee a lot of money vanishing because French vets are very much known as money pits!

We now have a problem because we I suppose but we might justneed a new bag of hen food and the co=op are not open on Saturdays. Our fault for insisting on organic food.

It has been a bit of a disastrous week one way and another. DD slipped on a wet floor at work yeasterday and had to wait until today to get it x-rayed. Our lovely Olivier had a minor op on Tuesday and has developed an infection so is back in hospital and our Danish friend is really down after radio therapy so I'm sending food round to keep her and Kai fed.

BUT the sun is shining :D
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 20th, 2018, 12:18 pm

liketocook wrote:Tonight I'm making spaghetti & clams, the clams are Spanish tinned from a deli in Glasgow as impossible to get clams fresh/frozen or tinned around here which really frustrates me as we export loads, mainly to Spain....

Oooh, I have a jar of clams in brine, also pickled mussels .. do you think either or both of these would go well with b'sgetti (as my daughter used to say ;) ) ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Poor Jules has an abcess on his leg and is being kept in overnight. The vet did say we were clever to spot it so quickly ut we are both feeling guilty that we should have realized sooner.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 20th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Has Jules been in a fight Rats ???

Late again today...... Timbers and Beams are all up :D :D :D Can't believe the difference from last week !

Another lovely day here, I have baked a lemming drizzle cake for Sundays coffee and cake, I have also made some egg custards in ramekins and tonights supper is done red pepper, onion, chicken and chorizo bake. Plus a mexican savoury custard - as an experiment and 3 baked potatoes.

I am stopping now, I have been on my feet all day.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 20th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Ouch!! Big furry head-rubs for Jules. Don't feel guilty Rats- you obviously spotted it as soon as you could. Hope he's better soon. :hug: :hug:

Sorry to hear your poor Danish friend isn't doing so well....such a hard thing and I can tell you're being the friend from Heaven... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 20th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Sadly, the excessive heat means that my Marathon challenge has been put on hold this year.

;)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 20th, 2018, 6:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
liketocook wrote:Tonight I'm making spaghetti & clams, the clams are Spanish tinned from a deli in Glasgow as impossible to get clams fresh/frozen or tinned around here which really frustrates me as we export loads, mainly to Spain....

Oooh, I have a jar of clams in brine, also pickled mussels .. do you think either or both of these would go well with b'sgetti (as my daughter used to say ;) ) ?

The jar of clams definitely but I'm not so sure about the pickled mussels as if they are the ones I love they are probably too vinegary, though there is only one way to find out :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 20th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Hope poor Jules is ok Rats :hug: :hug:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 20th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Thanks everyone. Jules is OK according to the vet who took time out to ring us. She said he is a beautiful cat who really speaks "people" or perhaps we speak cat which I thought was a lovely thing to say. so it could have been him

He hasn't been in a fight as far as we know but there is a horrid ginger cat who lives somewhere near and Jules hates and wants to protect us from.

Don't we get so stupid about our furry friends ?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 20th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Hello folks ... we're home ... had a lovely visit with old friend and his partner who we'd not met before ... partner is into gardening and they have a lovely if overgrown country cottage couple of acres so plant swaps have been arranged.

Now we're bushed and flollopped on the sofa ........ I'll catch up with what's been going on here a bit later ... or maybe tomorrow .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 20th, 2018, 7:30 pm

I've just been thinking.
I have only had 2 Chatterbox sprogs and their names have been Titania and Rodney.
They sound rather unlikely siblings.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Amber » April 20th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Sadly, the excessive heat means that my Marathon challenge has been put on hold this year.

;)
Pepper Pig wrote:Sadly, the excessive heat means that my Marathon challenge has been put on hold this year.

Me too! :oops: ;) :D

(chance’d be a fine thing :lol: )

Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » April 20th, 2018, 9:33 pm

You know that awful moment, when the optician looks in your eyes, looks again, and goes.... ‘Oh’...... :(

(Hopefully not too bad, another appt next week.)
Amber
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 21st, 2018, 6:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
I heard that the organizers have suggested that people do not wear fancy dress and aim for slower times, so no camels or rhinos then :D

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 21st, 2018, 6:49 am

Morning all,

Another scorcher here already. I may delay my walk to the Downs until early next week when I hear it is set to cool down a tad. This means just one thing. More unpacking. The thing is, I don't really need to unpack any more until I get furniture. All of my essentials have been unpacked. All laundry up to date. Don't need any shopping. Urgh I hate days when there is nothing needs doing. Maybe I should take the opportunity to relax and start a book! I could trot to the greengrocer. I could do with getting some salad and mushrooms.

Yes, it's a lazy plan! :tu: Keep cool everyone!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » April 21st, 2018, 7:16 am

Morning all :hug:

Looks like it's going to be another nice day. I am meeting mum later but I think I will go to the gym this morning as I didn't go yesterday :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 21st, 2018, 7:23 am

Good morning wild ones. Looks like another sunny day here again today too. :tu: The suntan is coming on nicely ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 21st, 2018, 7:53 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

No sunshine here in Norfolk ... overcast and chilly compared with the last couple of days ... around 10C outside :shock: however 'they' are promising that it'll warm up this afternoon and as OH is on :chef: duty today I'll garden later on rather than this morning ... don't want to catch a chill do I? Not now I've left my socks and vest off ... :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 21st, 2018, 8:21 am

Good morning
A little hazier and cooler here today than yesterday but still lovely
Not sure they hat to do, too much choice!
Think I'll probably walk down to the reuse and recycle event and see how they work, it also happens to be adjacent to the gelateria :oops:

Updates: the chirping is still there, but I have found some cotton trousers that aren't either jeans or leggings :D Joules new Hesford Chinos, lovely and soft, descriped as "skinny" but actually very flattering. I got Lemon and what they bizarrely describe as Ivory (light taupe). Eyeing up red and black, but I'll do a stock check first. Only been looking for a year
Enjoy the spring
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop