Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby cyprusmoira » June 13th, 2018, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Is Gizmo a TV fan, Patsy?
I managed to get some lamb steaks so decided to serve them with ratatouille and boiled potatoes. All the vegetables were local, the peppers were the horn shaped variety, when I tasted the mixture to check the seasoning I was amazed how sweet it was. I guess that it was because the vegetables were properly ripe and field grown.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 5:57 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A lovely morning ... I've had a wander outside while waiting for the kettle to boil. Now I'm back in bed with my :mug: ... oH is still sound asleep :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 13th, 2018, 6:54 am

Good morning wild ones. Another lovely day is on the cards. The beasts are woofing wanting their beds outside in the Sun already. :rolleyes: Not a lot to do today, last time I said that, the jobs came rolling in :evil:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 13th, 2018, 7:40 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones, Is Gizmo a TV fan, Patsy?

I understand from a cousin who has had Westies who says all hers loved tv, but if any animals appeared, they barked madly... Gizmo hasn't uttered a sound yet, well apart from a bit of a grumbly sound when he is settling down for a massage ;) Since his bath last night, his scratching has already lessened :bounce: and what seemed like a layer of cradle cap/scurffy along his back has now disappeared … Just one bath did it ! The bed he is laying on in the picture was one that came with Lucy, but far too big for her and she never took any notice of it. I have taken the cover off and washed it in anti allergy washing powder and Gizzy seems quite at home on it .. in fact he is curled up on it alongside me as I type ;) :tu: Not looking forward to his next and subsequent baths though :( He can't/doesn't 'do' stairs, so I have to carry him up and down and he's heavier than Lucy. :( :o
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 8:18 am

Morning all! It's a glorious day. My window sills will be painted today. I didn't paint them the other day but prepared them and filled in some holes. The stone is crumbling a bit in places.

There was a strange burning smell coming from outside when I went to bed. I woke at 6 and it was worse so I got up and checked everywhere. It seems that the lady next door but one, who likes to give cards at Christmas and eggs at Easter and be sweet to people but who leaves rubbish outside in the street for weeks and has clogged up the back alleyway with things, has now taken to burning rubbish in an incinerator. I love a good bonfire but these are traditional small terraced houses with very small gardens so most of us try not to burn things, or to at least warn people. She has placed the bin in the small area beside her back door rather than the bottom of the garden so her and her immediate neighbours must have smoke-filled houses. They will be furious. No washing out today methinks :rolleyes:

GD is 3 today. That's gone by rather too quickly .... :?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 13th, 2018, 8:42 am

Good morning
Sunny here, looks like thelast for a whike so I'd better get out in it

Good to hear Gizmo's bath has helped and that he is happy with his new bed.

Trying to decide what to do next..

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 9:34 am

Hello again ... ready to go to tennis now ... I've not been for quite a few weeks ... my knee is very much better ... I'm hoping that's down to other measures I'm taking (not pushing shopping trolleys etc) and nothing to do with the fact that I've not played tennis recently ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 13th, 2018, 9:43 am

Morning all.

My laundry is on the line and I am expecting my mum round any minute and we will be taking the bus into Dunstable town, now affectionately called The Bubble :lol: for a wander, probably a coffee. I might pick up some paint or varnish for my next decorating / refurbishing job.

Ooh, postman's been! I'm off! Have fun!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

Well, I'm back after playing two hard sets ... I started with a marvellous swerving ace 8-) shame I couldn't repeat it :rolleyes: :lol:
The knee aches a bit but was stable while I was playing ... I shall take it fairly easy for the rest of the day and keep my fingers very crossed.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 11:24 am

I wish I could get as excited about the postman visiting these days Tezza! Mine brought an Open University brochure (it's at least 10 years since I had any connection with them), a reminder for a bill I have already paid and the wherewithal for my 2 yearly NHS bowel test. It was much more fun in the days when there might have been a letter from a friend.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 13th, 2018, 12:11 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I wish I could get as excited about the postman visiting these days Tezza! Mine brought an Open University brochure (it's at least 10 years since I had any connection with them), a reminder for a bill I have already paid and the wherewithal for my 2 yearly NHS bowel test. It was much more fun in the days when there might have been a letter from a friend.

It is a treat getting letters isn’t it....
My ‘best’ friend, who I met some 58 years ago, and I do write to each other, but not as often as we used to. We both use a fountain pen and nice paper.
We had some folk for dinner last week, people we don’t know very well, friends of friends really, and it was so nice to get a thank you letter a few days later, again on lovely paper, and the most beautiful handwriting. I have to write back about something and am quite embarrassed about my scrawl!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 13th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

More rain last night and the live box went off again :rolleyes: However a mistral has blown up and the clouds are rapidly vanishing south.

Plans today have been altered for several reasons - none of which are of our making. I think it is just going to be one of those weeks.Shopping was resonably calm until I discovered that they had no gin :terrified: :terrified: in all there were 4 items missing from my list. :terrified: On to Picard and they were missing 2 more. We are awaiting the next lot of guests in DD's house. I hope they are not as difficult as the last lot.

Gizmo is adorable Pat. I am sure his skin will quickly improve and he will be a much happier dog

An old friend and neighbour who has recently lost his wife has come to clear their house as it has been sold. He is holding a sale at the weekend but has just dropped by to invite us out for lunch on Friday and to say we are welcome to have whatever we fancy from the house - he just wants rid of it. His wife had excellent taste and was a genius at finding bargains in markets and on ebay. So I think I may well take him up on his offer - not that I need much.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 13th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Afternoon
Been for walk, seen damsel flies, dropped off three knives to be reground, dropped off supplies for food bank

I missed the postman this morning, he rang vary briefly when I was listening to the news, and I wasn't sure if it was my bell or not, think it's the new sun hat for my holiday, will have to walk up to the sorting office tomorrow

On the colour matching front, I have a newish pair of cotton trousers, in a colour Joules describe as "Cream" - they are actually a very light taupe, which goes with a lot of things, including a little worn short sleeved cotton sweater om a soft burnt orange colour that I rediscovered this morning

Lunch beckons

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 13th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Hello Wildies :wave: :D

Patsy- Gizmo is a complete poppet.... :luv: :luv: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I have just hung out some washing and that blasted woman has put fresh stuff into her incinerator :evil:. She has trimmed some trees which were getting too tall for such a small garden (why would you plant trees destined to grow huge in a tiny garden?). I'm glad I'm too far away to be affected by the roots. At least by burning she won't dump it in the road expecting it to be collected when she doesn't pay a collection fee.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 13th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
I've been a busy bee today as I was determined to get the toms into their final pots before the weather broke, I just about made it though it was drizzling by the time I finished. It's definitely not scorching here today and gales are due later this evening. Still I've done garden wise what I wanted to get done this week .

I'm looking forward to not doing anything very much for the rest of the day. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 2:22 pm

OH has been into the city on his bike ... as well as the paper he needed he came back with ingredients for a lovely supper ... figs, goat cheese, flat breads etc ... we've got lettuce in the garden and he says he's in charge :tu: He also brought me a lovely salmon sashimi salad for my lunch ... what've I done to deserve this :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Luca » June 13th, 2018, 3:44 pm

suffolk wrote:OH has been into the city on his bike ... as well as the paper he needed he came back with ingredients for a lovely supper ... figs, goat cheese, flat breads etc ... we've got lettuce in the garden and he says he's in charge :tu: He also brought me a lovely salmon sashimi salad for my lunch ... what've I done to deserve this :?

Or what has he done! ;)

Sounds delicious Suffs. Enjoy!
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm

Luca wrote:Or what has he done!

He doesn't get the chance to get up to much ... he's either in the studio or the garden at the moment ... but his mum needs us to go to Lincs and sort her shed out, so I'm giving up a few days in the garden so he's being extra nice to me :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 13th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Evening!

My post this morning was for previous tenants so that excitement was short lived! Talking of letters, last night I wrote a thank you letter to the counsellor I saw for a while at my last GP surgery. I don't have my printer set up yet so it had to be hand written. He played a part in getting me out of the very unhealthy bedsit that I had to suffer for twelve months. Sending my thanks to him felt like it symbolised my closing a rather nasty chapter, the last nail in the coffin if you like! So I posted that off to him while I was out with my mum. While we were there we looked at decorating supplies and furniture and instead of getting the bus back, I walked back and there was a very cooling breeze which made things very pleasant! That's me done for the day I think!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 13th, 2018, 6:31 pm

earthmaiden wrote:This year the quest for a pair of pale cream summer trousers was unsuccessful ... .

EM, Have you looked at Cotton Traders ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 13th, 2018, 6:32 pm

Well done Tezza. Thank yous are always so important.

I am shatttered for some reason tonight so I think it will be an early bed. The weather here has taken a turn for the better but for quite a lot of the rest of France is really suffering- floods, etc.
See you all tomorrow
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Tezza ... on behalf of all of those who work or have worked to support people in difficult circumstances ... THANK YOU :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :hug: :hug: :hug:
You can have no idea how much your letter will mean to your former worker ... I promise you. :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 13th, 2018, 7:21 pm

I've had really bad toothache for about a week now - I'm having it out tomorrow at 11.30. It won't ache when it's in my pocket :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Poor you Gruney. Toothaches so horrid. Hope it heals quickly.

Time for bed now so night night all ... sweet dreams ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Amber » June 13th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Ouch, toothache is awful. Hope all goes well for you.
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » June 13th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Ouch, toothache is awful. Hope all goes well for you.
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 13th, 2018, 9:20 pm

suffolk wrote:Tezza ... on behalf of all of those who work or have worked to support people in difficult circumstances ... THANK YOU :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :hug: :hug: :hug:
You can have no idea how much your letter will mean to your former worker ... I promise you. :tu:

Thank you Suffolk. :hug: I am hoping he will read it and smile. He really needed to know what the outcome was as a result of his logical and sensible words. A very kind man and worth his weight in gold. :kneel:

Good luck with the tooth Gruney. Incidentally, I found a small brown package this morning in a box of memories I have collected over the years. Ah, I thought with glee, there they are! My four wisdom teeth extracted circa 1988! :grin: Cor, that was such a relief getting those out of my head I just had to keep them as a very happy memory!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 14th, 2018, 5:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I wonder if we will get through the day without a rumble of thunder? We were sitting outside eating supper yesterday evening, we had sunshine but there was a lot of rumbling and a rainbow out to the west.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

Good morning everyone,
My it's wild here, once the winds have died back a bit I'll go and inspect the veg patch. I can see one of my bean wigwams has toppled. I'm glad I took some of the hanging baskets down last night. :) Apparently most of the trains & buses are off, thankfully I don't need to go anywhere but a pain for those that do.
I've many chores needing caught up on so a domestic day I think for me. Quiche & coleslaw for lunch and either pasta & something or a flat mushroom/halloumi "burger" for dinner.
liketocook
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 14th, 2018, 7:16 am

Good morning wild ones. Hector has arrived, the wind is blowing a Hooley. No damage yet and the plants seem ok at the moment. Shopping day again today :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2018, 7:22 am

Good morning
Dull and windy here at the moment, rain threatened about lunch time but we won't get Hector, just his outriders.
Quiet day of pottering about, then WI tonight
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 14th, 2018, 7:55 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A bit blustery here ... the windmill on top of the bean wigwam is whizzing round and round ... but nothing here to be concerned about. I hope those getting the brunt of Hector escape damage free.

Heading out early-ish this morning ... hair appointment, a visit to the market and stocking up on moisturiser etc.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 14th, 2018, 8:32 am

Football starts today - that's the next few weeks taken care of ;)
Gruney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2018, 8:43 am

Morning everyone :wave:

At last a proper June day. Warm but not too hot and a slight breeze and thankfully much reduced humidity. I can do hot but hot and humid, no thanks.

I shall have to get th cherry stoner out and made some jam in the next couple of days. I've already picked some of the Napoleons (the yellow and pink ones). I've made 2 clafoutis and a cherry pie and popped some in alcohol.
Next come the apricots.

Stay safe from Hector all those of you in his way.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 14th, 2018, 9:00 am

Morning all!

So that's Hector out there is it? The elder tree is swaying like mad and has been all night. Funnily enough, it wasn't Hector, or excitable children on their way to school, or a Warburton's lorry that woke me this morning. It was a very noisy bumble bee either trying to get in or out of my bedroom window. I've done a colour match for the walls that need a touch up job in the living room. Cherry Fizz, I hope, so just spoke to Wilko, they have one tester pot left so have reserved it for me and I am going there to pick it up now. Should be a fun walk in this wind! I should be back for the World Cup opening ceremony. I've decided that the clean tea towel that I lay out on my draining board every day should be the one with a Russian doll design to mark the occasion. Not holding out much hope for England getting through the group stages. What does everyone else think? The pundits on TV keep saying England should just entertain and enjoy. Whatever happened to the word win???? Anyway, I say, let the World Cup party begin! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :tu:

Have a good day all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 14th, 2018, 9:08 am

Morning all! I'd hoped to hang out some washing and put a second coat on the window sills this morning but we've had a good rain shower and everything's damp. At least Hector isn't visiting. Hope all those affected by him stay safe.

Slept in late without feeling guilty as it's the first of 4 night shifts tonight. The most important thing today is to go shopping as I think I've reached the stage where meals made from what's in the house will be rather unbalanced. If things go well I am contemplating going over to see the herb place Seatallen mentioned on the Savory thread before work and having a look round and a cuppa. I might not if the weather's awful.

32 days of football ahead. There will be some very happy people around but I do find it annoying when it disrupts normal TV. I don't know what the TV arrangements are this year.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2018, 9:20 am

I was a bit worried about going to Italy during the world cup but of course they didn't qualify so there won't be a lot of interest :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 14th, 2018, 9:22 am

World Cup live matches seem to be alternating between ITV and BBC as usual, with highlights later on the channel that didn't show live. So, e.g. EastEnders tomorrow is on after Portugal v Spain at 21:10. We should all still get to watch what we want to watch around it, just at different times. Probably more disruptive to those working shifts where you've already got to work around that!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 14th, 2018, 9:42 am

earthmaiden wrote:32 days of football ahead

My idea of hell. I do not want to stop anyone playing football but do not want it thrust at me all the time. Even the Today programme succumbed this morning.
BTW. if they can fit multiple sports into the Olympics in three weeks why does it take over a month to play those football matches

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 14th, 2018, 9:47 am

Hooray for catch up! I do appreciate how many people enjoy wall to wall football so grin and bear it. I imagine that we'll get Wimbledon in the middle of it too. The nice thing is that it means it must be summer!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 14th, 2018, 10:05 am

earthmaiden wrote:I do appreciate how many people enjoy wall to wall football so grin and bear it.

Why should I? Why is no reasonable provision made for people who do not wish to watch football?
In my ward sistering days, I had a ward with both male and female patients, we had two separate day rooms, I designated one a football free zone. It was suprising how many men used that facility

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » June 14th, 2018, 10:18 am

Hooray for the world cup - easier shopping with less traffic and the chance to catch up with a load of programmes recorded on the humax.
I am hoping england can manage to stay in for longer than a couple of games so that the holiday traffic is reduced for significant hours in the day, too!
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » June 14th, 2018, 10:56 am

I'm not a football fan so until my son is here next weekend I will be avoiding it, though he's not a big fan either so might not be following it his brother is so imagine he'll be glued to it.
"Hector" continues to batter though thankfully the rain has stopped. With the weather being so wild there's only one thing to make in this house - soup. :D
A pot of tomato, chilli & red pepper soup is now simmering, a good use up of nearly the last of the 2017 tomato crop. A mug of that will go nicely with quiche & coleslaw for lunch. I suspect some of it may get converted to sauce to have with spaghetti later :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 14th, 2018, 11:46 am

Back from the city with my hair done, fresh supplies of moisturiser, deodorant, shower gel etc (all much cheaper at Superdrug than in the supermarkets) and some squid, large fresh prawns and palourdes, cherry tomatoes and lots of parsley ... we will be having something along the lines of Rick Stein's seafood linguine for supper :drool: .

Grabbed a couple of pasties from the West Country pasty shop near the bus stop and just managed to catch an earlier bus than I'd expected :tu: Got home to find my two new clematis have been delivered so just about to unwrap them ... :bounce:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby FoodMary » June 14th, 2018, 11:53 am

Lovely to see that Wildfood is still here and Chatterbox is as ever was! FoodMary here after some considerable time and a nasty time with a bug which seemed to have decided it was staying with me and which came and went as it felt like it.

Lulu cat has been my constant companion and friends have been wonderful. I am trying to catch up with you all now and will be going out for my first "airing" - that is if the rain stops. I have been cautioned by family............. "after all Ma you are nearly 76!!!!"

Aren't children wonderful :rolleyes:

Hope you are all well - I am hoping to be a bit more regular on here now. Hope everyone is well and happy.

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 14th, 2018, 11:56 am

Lovely to see you Mary … I was thinking of you last week as I watched 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' at my local cinema …. If you haven't seen it you must. Not only a charming story, but you will love seeing the shots of Guernsey (I presume it was filmed there :? :rolleyes: )

xxx
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 14th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Hello Mary :wave: :wave:

EM- hope you manage a trip to the Herb Farm. I was out there only last Friday. :D

Bit breezy here but sun is out and perfect drying weather.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby FoodMary » June 14th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Thanks Pat!! I haven't seen it yet but am told by friends on the Island that it is very authentic. It is one of my favourite books - I think I will wait until it is available to buy and then I will be able to watch it whenever I get the yearning for "home"!

Mary J
I even dream about food!
FoodMary
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I adore football but Mr R doesn't, so World Cup etc can be a bit fraught in this house. We also have to consider Wimbledon and Le Tour.

I am committed to being sensible and not watching what he calls "Hopeless " matches. I am assuming these do not include England and France ;) So I may glance at the 2 most useless teams in the competition starting the whole thing off but I won't be devoting my evening to it. Loads of standby recordings and DVDs are the answer I think, After 59years knowing each other I think we can probably stay friends. :D
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop