Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2018, 8:26 am

i think maybe another aspect of the increase in clothes moths is really that we have too many clothes/carpets/fabric in our lives.
our moths arrived at the same time i bought laminate underlay into the house. it may be a coincidence but the change was almost instant.
i have often thought of the 'bigger than us', sentient being, watching us - further up the food chain.
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 2nd, 2018, 8:50 am

There has been an increase in insects generally over the past few years possibly connected with reductions in insecticide use. Clothes moths have been with us forever.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » July 2nd, 2018, 9:00 am

i think any increase in insects (in general) is caused by global warming - a slight increase in temperature speeds up the lifecycle but flying insects have decreased by about 75% in the last thirty years due to the use of insecticides and pollution.

not with me, they haven't!
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 2nd, 2018, 9:18 am

Is there any point? :o

Someone once said to me, “Life is a sexually transmitted disease. It is terminal. There is no known cure”.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby dennispc » July 3rd, 2018, 3:02 pm

aero280 wrote:Is there any point? :o

Someone once said to me, “Life is a sexually transmitted disease. It is terminal. There is no known cure”.

:lol: Some of your posts aero280 should be in the Joke section - that one is priceless.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 5th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Grown men in shorts only, their skin looking sore from the sun, playing hoopla with an old bicycle tyre in our communal washing line area, during world cup 2018. So many things wrong there. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to get hold of a football from somewhere and p**s off over the park round the corner where there are goalposts? I know they are football fans. Their usual attire when not horribly topless are football shirts.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2018, 6:05 pm

I find myself curiously offended by men walking round town with no tops on.

Back in the 80s, when I worked in the Virgin Megastore, female staff were not allowed to wear strappy tops - armpits that might go on show were verboten. (Reason given was that it was too sexy?!!!) Meanwhile we used to get men coming in topless.

Mind you strappy vest tops/'camis' were a new thing then. A few years before they were only worn as underwear.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 5th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I firmly believe that the only place a man can be shirtless is the beach or his own back garden.
Anywhere else, including pub gardens, is quite repulsive.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 8:23 am

Sexy armpits! :lol:

There has been a debate going on in the media. Should thongs be banned from public swimming areas. God yes! Again, it is a case of a time and place. Do what you like in your own back garden, but I for one do not want to see someone else's proudly displayed buttocks munching on a pair of knickers while I am trying to teach my little nephew to swim, thank you very much! :sprout:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 6th, 2018, 9:03 am

Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 6th, 2018, 9:27 am

WWordsworth wrote:I firmly believe that the only place a man can be shirtless is the beach or his own back garden.
Anywhere else, including pub gardens, is quite repulsive.

Oh I SO agree! Can't abide it. It's usually men with enormous beer-guts too. Yuk!
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 6th, 2018, 9:28 am

...As for thongs, they suit virtually no-one. Does my bum look big in this? Too right it does! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 10:07 am

I'm sorry ... I can't abide all this telling other people what or what not to wear ... none of my business. If I don't like it I don't look. I thought this thread had already been there ... it's the sort of thing that appears to go on on Mumsnet and Fbook ... I thought Wildies were a little less judgemental ... a little more live and let live.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 6th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Thank goodness women are no longer expected to wear corsets, stockings or tights, gloves and a summer coat in hot weather! There is still a dress code, unwritten in many cases, it just depends how you were brought up, how hot it is and whether you care :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 6th, 2018, 6:41 pm

I suppose men were expected to wear a shirt, tie and jacket.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2018, 6:55 pm

living near a beach we see every variety of cladding/non cladding going and on every different type of body shape. you don't notice them after a while - we're all different - surely it makes you appreciate the diversity of the human race. tolerance is a virtue.
mind you we don't go to the beach, often, in the summer - weaving through staked out areas and windbreaks is not a satisfying walk.
the only annoying thing about it is when people from upcountry don't put on sunscreen (they are desperate to take a suntan home with them) - the a&e, down here, suffers from huge amounts of sunburn victims with no additional funding.
talking of lobsters, the hatchery at padstow is suffering from seawater pollution with lots of the baby lobsters dying.
scullion
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

suffolk wrote:I'm sorry ... I can't abide all this telling other people what or what not to wear ... none of my business. If I don't like it I don't look. I thought this thread had already been there ... it's the sort of thing that appears to go on on Mumsnet and Fbook ... I thought Wildies were a little less judgemental ... a little more live and let live.

Well, I agree with that...people can wear what they like, and I don’t have to look at them if I don’t want to. However, this thread is called ‘things I don’t understand’ and what I don’t understand is why people think they look good walking round like that, or how they can feel comfortable doing so.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2018, 7:48 pm

maybe they just don't even think about other peoples tastes or what they may think and just do it as they feel comfortable in their own skin.

i wonder if cavemen/women considered the cut, colour style of others animal skin clothing (or lack of it) - i wonder when style/fashion/body image started to be important to the human race ...
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 8:43 pm

I think it's one thing looking at someone and judging them for how you think they look in a certain outfit, be it day wear, night wear, beach wear, formal wear. It's a very different thing seeing someone wearing an outfit and thinking that is very inappropriate for this situation. Two different outlooks. In my opinion there is a time and a place for everything including clothing!

I was bullied throughout school and college and early adult life for how I looked. As you can imagine that has stayed with me enough to know how wrong that is!

When I lost my job a couple of years ago I immediately started going for job interviews. One interview I thought I had it in the bag. Feedback? The interviewer did not like the boots I was wearing. What????

Aged 70 my nan asked me if I would teach her to swim. Of course I was up for that! A large lady all her life she was very nervous about getting into a swimming costume, but I took her shopping for one that she felt comfortable and adequately covered up, explained how the lessons would work, took her to a local pool for a look, she was very excited about our first session! When we got in the pool for the first time, she was totally oblivious to the fact, partly because her hearing was very poor, that a bunch of youths in the pool were calling out all sorts of horrible names, laughing and pointing at her. I know that if she knew what was happening she would have left immediately never to return. Well, I had a word with the youths and the lifeguards and they stopped, my nan was totally unaware, the lessons continued and I taught that lady to swim, but it very nearly didn't happen.

My neighbours messing about in the communal drying area was annoying and inappropriate, same as everything they get up to round here. Even more annoying that there is a gorgeous park round the corner! Slightly adding to the annoyance was the fact that while this was going on they were strutting around in shorts only as if they could do what they want where they want. I suppose it would have been even more annoying had they been wearing budgie smugglers! :shock: :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 6th, 2018, 9:08 pm

scullion wrote:maybe they just don't even think about other peoples tastes or what they may think and just do it as they feel comfortable in their own skin.

i wonder if cavemen/women considered the cut, colour style of others animal skin clothing (or lack of it) - i wonder when style/fashion/body image started to be important to the human race ...

Yes, you are absolutely correct, obviously they don’t think about other people’s tastes....and I have no idea what cavemen / women thought...but I was brought up to be aware of the folk around me, and not to make people feel uncomfortable. I think nowadays we wouldn’t cough or sneeze in someone’s face, I would hope not to be smelly near someone else, not toss long hair over my shoulder onto someone else, etc. I do realise I’m very old fashioned!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 6th, 2018, 10:23 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:There has been a debate going on in the media. Should thongs be banned from public swimming areas. God yes!

When I read 'thongs' I immediately think of footwear - flip-flops to you lot!! Couldn't think why they would ban them, until I read the rest of the post :lol:

I agree with Suffs about being judgemental. Although I have made a couple of comments to my OH recently about very large women walking past in shorts! He just reckons good on them - doing what they feel comfortable with and not worrying about other people. And I have to agree with him - just thought they could find more flattering clothes ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 11:13 pm

I think that is a very good point about being brought up to not make others feel uncomfortable.

A lady in my street recently was walking past me having just picked up a small child from our local nursery school. I just noticed both looked very happy, chatting away and giggling. A lovely sight to behold! Until I noticed the top the adult was wearing. A large lady with a very ample bosom with a very low cut and baggy vest top and no bra. My thoughts weren't that she was dressed inappropriately for the situation. We are in the middle of a heat wave! Probably her way of coping with it. She did look quite nice and summery. BUT......her boobs were close on popping out of her armpit holes! I would never have passed comment to her! But I did think how embarrassing / uncomfortable it would be for her, me, everyone else if her boobs had worked their way out! I couldn't help that thought process as i would have been brought up not to let my boobs pop out in public. I don't know if that makes me a bit of a prude? I've never been to and will never go to a topless beach or resort. Eek! I can't think of another holiday situation that could be more cringe worthy. Probably some people will never understand that!

So anyway, there's making someone feel uncomfortable by commenting on how they are dressed. There is also making others feel uncomfortable by the way you choose to dress.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2018, 12:58 am

Rainbow wrote:When I read 'thongs' I immediately think of footwear - flip-flops to you lot!!

i'm in the heart of surfing country, with a healthy exchange of aussie lifeguards in the summer - i know them as thongs, slaps and only sometimes flip-flops.

Rainbow wrote: agree with Suffs about being judgemental. Although I have made a couple of comments to my OH recently about very large women walking past in shorts! He just reckons good on them - doing what they feel comfortable with and not worrying about other people. And I have to agree with him - just thought they could find more flattering clothes ;)

i agree with your other half, too (and suffolk).

maybe the subject should be changed. we went through a very similar conversation about the ladies in the swimming pool changing rooms, in their dressing gowns, only a short while ago. it seems a subject where views will always be divided.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2018, 9:31 am

There were some, shall we say, different outfits in the market this morning, none of which was either aetheticly pleasing or sensible in the heat. One could grill steaks on some backs - and possibly further south. :scared:

"Unseemly" swim wear is not permitted in public swimming pool here and that apparently inclues boxer style shorts which are deemed to be unhygenic.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 7th, 2018, 9:44 am

I understood that the French reason for insisting on Speedos for men in swimming pools was that it was the only clothing that they wouldn’t wear outside the pool. Boxer shorts could be worn in the street, or while sat on walls, grass, etc, and bring contamination into the pool area.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Herbidacious » July 7th, 2018, 9:50 am

Of course, one should not be judgmental about matters of taste, however I don't think feeling offended by semi naked men is a question of being judgmental. It might be a bit weird that I react like this, and I would certainly not say that men should not do this on the basis of how I feel about it. But it is a reaction, not a judgement.

(Although actually I wonder if I feel a bit threatened by it.)

It is all to easy for the subject matter of this thread to morph into 'things you can't stand/don't like'. But I think we can all get our head round most of the things others seem to like which we don't. Sometimes it's not easy though...!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 10:50 am

Things I don't understand - why so many Brits think it's always cooler with the window open, even if it's 30 C outside and the window is in full sun

I'm doing better with temp control as I have had black out blinds fitted to the roof windows, but it is a bit like Miss Havisham's lair in here, gloomy and slightly dusty as it is too hot for housework!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 7th, 2018, 11:59 am

StokeySue wrote:Things I don't understand - why so many Brits think it's always cooler with the window open, even if it's 30 C outside and the window is in full sun

The temperature outside, at the moment, is 1.5 C warmer than inside, but I am sitting beside an open window (admittedly on the shady side of the house) and I can feel a breeze, which makes the heat seem less unbearable.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2018, 12:16 pm

That's where a fan comes into it's own Suelle.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 7th, 2018, 12:21 pm

We are sitting in the gloom with blinds down, much cooler although Deb has switched on the lamp so that she can embroider. Also clear fluids, not alcohol and a powerful fan.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 12:36 pm

Suelle wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Things I don't understand - why so many Brits think it's always cooler with the window open, even if it's 30 C outside and the window is in full sun

The temperature outside, at the moment, is 1.5 C warmer than inside, but I am sitting beside an open window (admittedly on the shady side of the house) and I can feel a breeze, which makes the heat seem less unbearable.

That's a bit different to opening windows to cool the house down, which I have known many peoe do
I have a fan heater that can be used with fan only, just the right wind speed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 10:48 am

When I come downstairs each morning (in this heat) I immediately throw open the windows in my living room (facing East) and the conservatory door and windows (facing West) and get a gentle breeze throughout the ground floor... However, in the bedrooms, I have blackout curtains in the spare room (facing East) and a blackout blind in my bedroom (facing West). With both of those closed, the air upstairs becomes stagnant and unpleasant. I have the blackout blind and curtains to black out the light, not the breeze that would otherwise waft through the open windows ….
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 8th, 2018, 10:51 am

Last night, as it cooled down outside, I opened my windows again, to try to get a breeze through the house and cool it a little. It would have worked, but it was just the time that the gnats started flying, so I had to give up and close down. :(
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » July 8th, 2018, 10:52 am

shutters would be very useful!
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 8th, 2018, 12:51 pm

scullion wrote:shutters would be very useful!

Essential I would say.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I have east, west and south windows and no curtains or blinds yet at any of them. In this weather they are all open, except for when I am out. I know how hot it would be in here if I kept my windows closed as it's like a greenhouse in here when I come back in from being out. Blinds for my living room are top of my list of needs!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 1:28 pm

blinds.jpg

Wooden blinds ... they work like shutters ... set them to reflect the sun rather than to let it in ... open the front window and the back door ... they keep the sun out and the air moving 8-)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Mosquitoes. I'm being really bothered by them at the moment. Despite being smothered in repellant as soon as I venture downstairs or outside they have a go. This morning one bit me in the outer corner of my left eye and it swelled up so I couldn't see out. I had to eat an anti-histamine. Thankfully it has gone down.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 11th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Mosquitoes. I'm being really bothered by them at the moment.

'Apaisyl' is your friend. A fantastic French product available from every pharmacy in France I think. I too am a mozzie magnet, have been for decades and oh those anti-histamine dreams can be tiresome.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 12th, 2018, 8:55 am

I know all about Apaisyl thnaks but this was so near my eye it would not have been wise to use it - well almost impossible in fact. Antihystamines are the last line of resistance when bites and stings really swell. i am very sensitive to wasp stings for example so I always have some about my person. Wasps can spot me from the other side of the Luberon and head straight for me.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 9:22 am

I knew it rang bells
Apaisyl Composition
Glycyrrhetinic acid, Bisabolol, Menthol, excipients.

Glycerrhetinic acid is extracted from licorice, I worked on its medicinal properties for several years but never investigated this one! It's available in the UK it seems, might give it a try.
Little biters tend to get me in the narrow space between the cheekbone and the eye while I'm asleep, when we have clouds of gnats rising off the woods opposite I DEET the net curtains, it helps
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 9:46 am

Going back to things you really don't understand, just watched one of those progs where they help people save money. Now I quite understand that sitting down with an expert to help you will do a better job of sorting out your finances than DIY, no contest

But how can a likeable, intelligent & generally competent woman who has bought 7 coats in 4 months not be aware that she might be overspending on clothing? :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 12th, 2018, 10:09 am

Cypriot supermarkets. This morning I was looking for sesame seeds, I expected to find them with the pulses, bulghar wheat, quinoa, etc. No, they were in the baking section. On a previous occasion in the big branch of the same supermarket chain I found a block of tamarind in with the various canned beans not in Ethnic Food where I would expect to find them, I suspect the reasoning was that Tamarinds are beans of some sort.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 10:26 am

I had a hunt in Morrison's for redcurrant jelly (needed for some baking)
Not with jams and spreads

In condiments, net to the cranberry sauce

Their own brand is very nice
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 12th, 2018, 10:35 am

StokeySue wrote:I knew it rang bells
Apaisyl Composition

Glycerrhetinic acid is extracted from licorice, I worked on its medicinal properties for several years but never investigated this one! It's available in the UK it seems, might give it a try.
Little biters tend to get me in the narrow space between the cheekbone and the eye while I'm asleep, when we have clouds of gnats rising off the woods opposite I DEET the net curtains, it helps

Now that is interesting. I love licorice and eat it most days - I am never bothered by mozzies while my OH who doesn't like it gets bitten to death. I have heard that it is good for menopause symptoms too - I wasn't bothered by any of those either. I never had a hot sweat ever!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2018, 10:49 am

StokeySue wrote:Going back to things you really don't understand, just watched one of those progs where they help people save money. Now I quite understand that sitting down with an expert to help you will do a better job of sorting out your finances than DIY, no contest

But how can a likeable, intelligent & generally competent woman who has bought 7 coats in 4 months not be aware that she might be overspending on clothing? :o

I have been watching this series too and am usually gobsmacked that these supposedly intelligent participants haven't been able to work out that (usually) their out goings are more than their incomings and why ! :o .. Yesterday's programme was probably the most helpful I have watched ….
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2018, 10:54 am

Tesco sell packs of nuts and seeds in their ' healthy snack' section alongside fruit as well as larger packs of nuts and seeds in their wholefood range in a different aisle … You would think that the large packs would be cheaper per gram, but this is not so .. the smaller packs are better value :? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 12th, 2018, 4:02 pm

The people on those TV programmes must be really hunted out and living in complete denial. I don't really understand why the public wants to see more than one series of the same old thing.

I am still trying to work out why Sainsburys keeps plain popping corn with the pulses rather than with grains or even ready popped or microwave popcorn ( presumably they want people to buy the expensive stuff so hide it!).
Last edited by earthmaiden on July 12th, 2018, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Meganthemog wrote:
StokeySue wrote:I knew it rang bells
Apaisyl Composition

Now that is interesting. I love licorice and eat it most days - I am never bothered by mozzies while my OH who doesn't like it gets bitten to death. I have heard that it is good for menopause symptoms too - I wasn't bothered by any of those either. I never had a hot sweat ever!

I don't think there's any hint that it deters the little blighters, it's an anti-inflammatory with mildly steroidal properties, that should help the bite reaction to subside

Whether it helped with menopause or not, open to question, would depend on blood levels, there is some evidence that it works

Usual warning that it is possible to become addicted to liquorice and overdose, rare but I have come across two cases
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 12th, 2018, 10:50 pm

I love black liquorice but rarely eat it as it's been reported it increases blood pressure . I also love Imperial Aniseed sweets (those large ones like the mints) however I can't stand Pernod or Sambucca or those old fashioned Aniseed twists. - something I have never understood!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop