good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby nursemimi » September 12th, 2018, 11:55 am

Good morning everyone. :wave:
Class this morning then an appointment with
the dermatologist to renew my Humira.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 13th, 2018, 7:06 am

There's no flies on you lot.

I do think there is a little pixie/sprite in my computer that makes me type the wrong things. 2009 ok?! :D

Bright and cheerful today outside, but porepely autumnal.

I am off to a Sebastian Faulks signing tonight.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 13th, 2018, 8:49 am

Good morning

I think typos are ruling - I doubt nursemimi meant Humira, it’s a medicine
Hope it was safely removed anyway

Sebastian Faulks? Nice. I should “read” more

I’m off with the WI to learn about the local green woodworking project, an excursion all of 100 metres from my front door

We have cold bright sun. I’ll need a coat for the first time this season tonight for sitting in a shed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 13th, 2018, 9:16 am

Good morning … my heating came on this morning as the temperature dropped below 15c :shock:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2018, 9:38 am

good morning, all.

overcast but we are predicted with sunshine in an hour or two.
how do you show, in physical form, the abstract concept of honesty? - one of the three tasks added to my list yesterday before i'd even gone inside the building.
this was a request, we decided, that was the product of a cottonwool brained, corporate team building course, with little thought about the abilities of the guys we support and putting the task on staff who already have enough to do.
well, me, really.
today, i'm doing little.
my partner vacuumed yesterday while i was out (not a common occurrence by a long chalk). normally i would have said thank you but i decided that as he never says thank you when i do it (or any other housework - other than cooking dinner for some reason) i would take a leaf out of his book. i wonder if he noticed or am i shooting myself in my own foot‽ will he bother to do it again now‽
will he get me a coffee this morning?
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2018, 11:24 am

Good noontide all :D

A busy morning (documented on Cbox) but the afternoon is mine :D

scullion wrote:this was a request, we decided, that was the product of a cottonwool brained, corporate team building course, with little thought about the abilities of the guys we support and putting the task on staff who already have enough to do.

:rolleyes: .... would considering the properties of 'transparency' be helpful?

OH seems to like wielding the vacuum from time to time ... don't think I've ever had to do the stair carpet as he thinks letting me do it is a recipe for disaster and possible broken limbs :rolleyes: ... thing is he tends to do such things in the evening when I've got my feet up and I've enough of Ma's Methodist propensity for guilt in me to sometimes feel that I should discourage this sort of evening activity ........ however, I've managed so far not to put this feeling into action :lol: ;)

Have a good day all :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 14th, 2018, 1:17 pm

suffolk wrote:Getting ready for tennis ... first time since June when my knees were still a bit dodgy ... hopefully it's not the summer break from tennis that has resulted in their current improved state

If it is problems with ACLs I am very surprised that your health professional says tennis is OK.

suffolk wrote:I also need to buy some light bulbs ... this seems to be an increasingly complicated procedure nowadays ......

Isn't it. I have to find some 20 W halogen (I think) with a loopy wire at the bottom for a bathroom light.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 14th, 2018, 2:01 pm

It's not so much a problem with my ACL .... more that my ACL is totally snapped and consequently doesn't function any more. Backwards and forwards motion is ok as is the careful management of turning a corner ... swerving/veering is likely to result in me falling flat on my face ... we play doubles and my partner knows that I don't change direction when moving towards a ball ... the gang we play with are all limited in one way another by injury or condition so as long as we can all laugh when we can't return a ball that ought to be easy we get along and so far I've not ended up flat on my face.

It's gardening on my own that has been my actual downfall on a couple of occasions ... and sliding sideways into seats on buses and at restaurants :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 14th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Ah. My ACL repaired friend has been advised to give up all sport involving lateral movement, tennis, hockey um can't remember the rest.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 5:26 am

Miss Mouse ... thanks for your concern :) Apparently if it had been correctly diagnosed when it first happened in 1994 a repair would’ve been possible ... however ‘now, at your age...’ the prolonged recovery time is likely to lead to problems with other ligaments in other joints ... I’ve been given exercises to do to strengthen other ligaments and tendons which help to stabilise the knee and have been advised to remain as active as I can without moving laterally.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 15th, 2018, 9:20 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. as the forecast keeps changing i won't rely on any prediction for the rest of the day.
qualifying will be watched and some paper pots will be made. redundant copies of the radio times have a useful afterlife.
our daughter informs us that the impasse on the buying of their new home has been resolved. she is a happy bunny. i now have to start taking cuttings and potting others on for her; her love of sage (for pasta) has already been addressed.
i need to make another batch of soap and venture into the realms of liquid soap.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 15th, 2018, 10:00 am

Good morning
Sunny here too, off out soon to sit in a pub and play backgammon
Must do my exercises too Suffolk, I can now do all of them which shows I am recovering from the hip damage. Walked up to Book Club last night, and it was fine so will keep walking

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 11:36 am

Good morning all :D

The discovery that it was Members 20% off Day at the garden centre had me hot foot (well, hot tyre to be honest - but I needed some way to carry it all) up there this morning to indulge myself in buying narcissi, and species crocuses and tulips for naturalising ... of course, I ended up buying other things too :oops:

Now I'm back, have a line full of bedlinen and am about to start the marathon scone bake ready to take to MIL's teaparty tomorrow ..........

Good news about the property progress Scully :tu: Glad you're properly on the mend now Sue :tu:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 16th, 2018, 9:36 am

good morning, all.
overcast with an eighty percent chance of rain in the next couple of hours..
f1 and a couple of 'green doors' visits today, plus i'm feeling like leek and potato soup (not personally) - the weather dictates autumnal comfort food.
please can someone remind me to get milk while we're out.
the wussy cat has just been alarmed by the sound of 'hilda' on the archers.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 16th, 2018, 9:47 am

Good morning

Not much happening here today apart from pottering around at chores and catching up on radio programmes and going out to buy a bit of food. No idea what I want to cook, which makes it a bit tricky

Need to water my plants - no rain until Wednesday here they say

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 16th, 2018, 12:49 pm

Good afternoon :wave:

Been hopping on an off this board since I got up at 8 …

Yesterday I went to see a wonderful performance of La Bohéme on Sydney Harbour at Pinewood Studios Cineman with an old work colleague, She happened to mention she has had a new kitchen fitted and other building work, so before I knew it, I had arranged to visit her this afternoon for tea and bring along some food as she also entertains an elderly neighbour on Sunday afternoons. Consequently, I have made some sausage rolls, my version of homity pie and an apple version of lemon meringue pie … I am now in agony with back pain, not helped by the stretch class I did yesterday morning... :o :cry: :td:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » September 17th, 2018, 8:58 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a spot of rain, brightening later. the breeze is increasing.
coffee is on its way.
todays jobs include phoning the electrician for siting lights and sockets - and the dreaded hswk.
it seems that one of the cats has a developed a lazy attitude in its toilet habits. a little re-education is going to have to be on the cards to point out that the area near the back door is not acceptable. my partner is threatening them with more radical methods!
scullion
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 17th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Sue I did need to renew my prescription for Humira I have psoriasis
I have to see the dermatologist once a year for blood work and a skin check
to keep my prescription up to date all is good this year.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Renew? I read it as remove :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby nursemimi » September 17th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Oops that would make a difference :shock: :D

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby scullion » September 18th, 2018, 8:05 am

good morning, all.
the radio has just said there'll be showers in the west - we are obviously not in the west as the met says we'll be dry until tonight. the yellow weather warning predicted for today has disappeared and the sun, we are told, will peek out occasionally.
yoga this morning and this afternoon i'm going over to a friends to pick up kea plums bought down by the winds of the last coupe of days - or pick a load if there are no windfalls. kea plum jam will then be made later.
oops, look at the time!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 18th, 2018, 8:15 am

Good morning
Grey at the moment but we are promised more sun, lots of wind, and no rain. Temperature up to 24 C again today, was lovely yesterday afternoon

Must start thinking about doing up pots for Autumn and winter. Not sure where best to go for bits and pieces as both the garden centre and the pet shop have closed so will have to travel to a garden centre. Not sure which

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 18th, 2018, 11:27 am

Good noontime everyone :D

Have had a busy morning in the garden, clearing overgrown plants in the pond, potting up a container for the front porch with some colour for autumn/winter and supervising mowing etc.

I've also given the Undergardener a list of jobs that we'll have to do within the next couple of weeks (take out sweet corn, beans, courgette plants etc and sort out the compost heaps etc etc etc) ... it's best if it doesn't come as a shock to him :lol: . He's taken it upon himself to cut the grass today :tu: and has plans to make a cactus garden for the studio :shock:

Getting breezy here ... I may not do much more gardening today ... planting crocus corms can wait a bit longer .....

Oooh Scully ... just to let you know the sweet pea seed pods are drying nicely . :D

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 19th, 2018, 7:21 am

good morning, all.
wet and windy.
off to the farm in a bit and jam making when i get home later this afternoon. i also have rather a lot of sloes to go in the freezer (for which there isn't really room). i will be looking up things to do with them other than gin.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 19th, 2018, 9:02 am

Not a cubic centimetre of free space in our freezer Scully ... I'm going to have to make chutney :rolleyes:

It was lovely here first thing ... calm blue sky and sunshine ... now the wind's getting up a bit and the sky in the west is overcast but still sunny in the east. I don't suppose we'll get much 'weather' here in the east, but I'm going to pop down to the shops this morning rather than this afternoon ... just in case ...

Keep your hatches battened folks and stay safe :hug:
Last edited by suffolk on September 19th, 2018, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 19th, 2018, 9:32 am

Good morning
Wind has gone down from yesterday but expected to build up again later
Trying to decide in what order to do things - shopping, bits of housework and admin, exercise and possibly going for s new kettle

Be interested to know what you decide to do with the sloes scully
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 20th, 2018, 8:14 am

Good morning, all.
Windy with a lot of rain forecast for this evening.
I have the feeling that the minack performance of 'the pirates of men's pants' will be cancelled, tonight. I won't bother making pastys. If the weather changes I'll get something out of the freezer.
We now have more kea plum jam than we can eat without developing diabetes! The last two kilos of plums will be turned into old dowerhouse chutney (has anyone heard from ian lately? - his recommendation is the reason I'll be doing this!) - even though they aren't Victoria plums.
There's a recipe for a sloe chutney on the web that I'll have a go at.
Is it slutty to not wash the pan between all the preserves - if so I will own the title. It just seems to me that the chutney has the same ingredients in as the jam so what's the harm?!
My jar collection is running down fast.
I need to buy gin.
Have a cosy day, everyone.

Ps. Coffee has arrived and the decision has been made to not go tonight. Neither of us fancy sitting in face-on, fifty mile an hour gusts with heavy rain. Hopefully they will cancel and we'll get a refund.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 20th, 2018, 9:17 am

Good morning
I like old dower house chutney, the friend who introduced me to it made it with unidentified fruit from his mother’s garden

The only thing that would worry me about not washing the pan would be if the residue had set to a skin it might be more likely to catch?

It’s very overcast here. Yesterday went for a walk late afternoon and it was simultaneously muggy snd windy, weird.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 20th, 2018, 10:29 am

Good morning all

Chutney may be made here today ... if my scales reveal that I have sufficient brown sugar to go with the courgettes and green tomatoes ... if I don't then chutney will be made here tomorrow :lol:

Today the weather is muggy, that sort of fine drizzle that soaks everything through without actually being rain. Washing has been draped on racks in the study .... it's a long time since we've had to do that.

Think you're wise to avoid the Minack this evening Scully ... you really don't need your face sandblasted ;)
Mind you, from the webcam it does appear to be a hive of activity this morning ...

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 20th, 2018, 3:28 pm

doesn't it annoy you when you click on an update rather than canceling it or up-dating later. i have lost the post i was writing.

the minack have texted to cancel - a refund will be back in my account.
the blood donors have texted to say my blood has been issued to barts.
half of the chutney is chuntering away - there was too much for my very large pan. i will probably do the second half in a couple of batches, mixing them with some different spices/orange peel/preserved lemon or such like.
i also have four, very large (8" diameter), round courgettes to do something with. a curry tomorrow will use one but i'll have to have a think about the others.

the pan isn't sticking.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 20th, 2018, 4:27 pm

The chutney hasn't quite finished chuntering, but I've turned it off and will finish and 'jar' it tomorrow morning. I've had enough of stirring today ... supper will be ready soon and then I'll be on the sofa with the knitting.

Glad you're getting a refund ... I've been popping in to look at the webcam during the day ... lots of activity with the moving/fixing of scenery etc ... but it did look a bit diffident.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 21st, 2018, 7:18 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a hint of brightness breaking through and a tad breezy.
going down to the garden a little later today as we're going to check out a furniture maker beforehand.
i, too, have left the last batch of chutney until today. i have done a quarter batch (four or five big jars) with preserved lemon - just enough to give it a tang but not enough to change the nature of the chutney much, the second quarter i've added cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for a hint of christmas. the spices have been infusing overnight and i'll set it going again when i get home. it seemed that the recipe could take a little alternative flavour without complaining.
now i have to find somewhere to store it all!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 21st, 2018, 8:10 am

Good morning
We have brilliant sunshine at the moment though we had strong wind and rain last night
Need to go to do some shopping as I have run things right down

So will be out and about locally in the sun
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 21st, 2018, 5:07 pm

Sunny showery and very windy day here, lots of branches/trees affected on our trip to Salisbury and back. Cats are not enjoying the wind, they get very discombobulated and stay in a lot.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » September 22nd, 2018, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
raining and dull.
i think a grand clear-up, jar cleaning and labelling is a necessity today. i also have to pot up a palm seedling that i dug up from one of the veg patches yesterday. i assume it's one of the towering fan palms over the other side of the wall.
i have just been texted to remind me i'm meeting a friend for coffee at eleven. good job as i didn't put it in the calendar!
better shift.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2018, 9:02 am

Dull here and cooler than of late ... I have socks on :shock: and we're promised rain by 4pm.

I'm going out there to harvest the grapes in a bit ... they're destined for https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/260 ... mary-jelly

Have a lovely weekend everyone :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 22nd, 2018, 9:08 am

the friend has postponed until next weekend. i may spend the day in my 'jamas.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2018, 9:19 am

scullion wrote:the friend has postponed until next weekend. i may spend the day in my 'jamas.

If I did that there'd be bound to be visitors or a housefire or some reason why I'd suddenly be exposed to all and sundry in my pjs :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 22nd, 2018, 9:35 am

My PJs look smarter than my house clothes!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am

earthmaiden wrote:My PJs look smarter than my house clothes!

Mine don't :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 23rd, 2018, 8:11 am

good morning, all.
overcast and drizzley.
i'm going to help a friend with his apple harvest, today. it was supposed to be this morning but i'm thinking that it may be more likely to happen after lunch - the forecast keeps pushing the rain a bit later every time i look.
the jars were all cleaned and labeled yesterday. now i have to find somewhere to store them.
the baby palm was also potted and put out on the back step.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 23rd, 2018, 9:44 am

Good morning
You’d not be picking apples here just at the moment, it’s coming down in stair rods and had been for some time

Supposed to clear later so think I will get on with indoor things and hope for a walk later on and maybe a visit to the posh greengrocer for English apples

Quite tired after being out all day yesterday

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 24th, 2018, 8:23 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
it was sunny by midday yesterday. i have seven litres of juice to pasteurise - we drank a litre last night.
maybe only four litres will get pasteurised - the rest being drunk in the next couple of days.
i have had a text from a friend i haven't heard from for a year or so on a very relevant subject. my partner has said that he hasn't been in touch with the friend either. i've texted back to ask if the text has been sent to the wrong 'my name'.
the only thing on today is a gardening meeting tonight although i do have to go and stake a globe artichoke that suffered in the recent weather. this means i have to harvest some bamboo.
coffee (and a pastel de nata) are calling.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 24th, 2018, 9:28 am

We have brilliant sunshine here, but it is not warm at all

Off to the chiropodist in a while, then for a walk and a touch of shopping, just need fruit

I have my pineapple thingy, tried it on a small pineapple, worked quite well, though a bigger fruit would have been better. Noticed again something I’ve encountered before, it tasted ok when freshly prepared, but mellowed slightly and tasted much better after a few hours in the fridge. So the moral is, get ahead

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 24th, 2018, 10:33 am

Blue skies and white fluffies here ... and the window cleaner has just been, so as I cleaned the insides the other day, lots of sunshine is flooding in 8-) Good job I de-cobwebbed and dusted the other day :lol:

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Oat » September 26th, 2018, 6:20 am

Morning everyone,

Crisp clear morning here. Woke to the sound of geese flying over the house. Going to the market soon followed by packing ready for four nights in Scotland leaving in the morning.
Oat
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 26th, 2018, 6:38 am

Good morning Oat and everyone :D
Love the sound of wildfowl flying over ... one of the lovely things about living here near the marshes.
Have a lovely time in Scotland Oat... which bit ... ish?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 26th, 2018, 6:54 am

good morning, all.
it will be sunny when the day gets going - the sky is blue but the sun hasn't got here, properly, yet.
off to the farm soon. my partner needs the car and is dropping me off a bit early. he'd better get me a coffee, soon, to make up for it!
i'd better head to the shower.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 26th, 2018, 7:02 am

Good morning
Rather less poetically than the skeins of geese, I got up to the sound of a parakeet throwing a wobbly on the roof. I have noticed a commotion on the other part of the roof featuring a lot of loud cawing. I saw it the other day, a magpie chasing something off, couldn’t see what he was shouting at but it seems he is defending the flat roof against all invasion

More brilliant sunshine here but very cold at first. No great plans for today just see what happens

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Oat » September 26th, 2018, 7:16 am

We are staying in Roslin, Midlothian. Visiting family in Penicuik and shopping in Edinburgh! We like to be busy :D
Oat
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop