Another Scam

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Another Scam

Postby dennispc » September 28th, 2018, 9:44 am

earthmaiden wrote:Gosh, that's quite a well known one. What a shame they fell for it :(

Thanks earthmaiden, I don''t do FB so was new to me - her son, who certainly knew about the scam, played along with it in the hope of identifying the hacker. At some point they must have realised and broke it off. Son, who knows his way around a computer, tried to trace it back but everything had been removed. Hackers are clever people.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 1st, 2018, 7:44 am

Mr. Z has an Apple iPhone, text msg. received today from icare saying Due to suspicious activity apple id has bee locked, click (on link) to restore full access, Apple Services.

Googled it and sure enough it is a SCAM do not click on link !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby dennispc » October 1st, 2018, 9:16 am

The scam I mentioned nearly got worse. The guy, having transferred £1,000 by bank transfer (which the bank wouldn't refund), was then told to buy £1,000 of gift cards at a supermarket. The girl on the till queried it and eventually persuaded him something wasn't right. If it hadn't been a topic of conversation at the weekend's family gathering I wouldn't have believed it.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 1st, 2018, 9:20 am

I linked to a site location on Google Earth. A webpage opened within Google Earth, which is normal, but then a window opened with an Apple logo and in the typeface Apple use, saying something like “Apple has detected a virus infection which is destroying all your computer data. You have one minute to save your information. Click here to stop the virus”. There is a countdown timer counting down from 59. By the time you have read the sentence it’s already at 55. In order to panic you the numbers actually change faster than one a second.

I don’t know what happens if you leave it to run down to zero. I killed the page before it finished. A quick check with a scan from the free Malwarebytes program showed that nothing untoward had happened.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby musselsandfries » October 5th, 2018, 9:45 am

Amazon...

I rarely use but just ordered a watch strap. The screen was an absolute nightmare with a bombardment of 'try prime' stuff.

Strap was eligible for free one day (normal) delivery

last box had 2 choices (well I thought was choices) sign up for prime OR continue with one day delivery.

continued....and although like to think I am computer savvy was indeed caught out. Just noticed that, in extremely hard to spot text that my trial had started.

A good fair few minutes later I ended the trial, including taking screen shots of final info. I do wish I had recorded every step of cancelling process as I cannot believe such long windedness and 'manner of speech' is legal. (you will lose this, you wont be able to that this may affect current orders etc)

I know there was a big thing about its 'sneakiness' a few years ago but I thought it was useful to post a reminder..;

i really need coffee now :)
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 5th, 2018, 10:00 am

It's not so easy to find the bit to go to to cancel the damned thing either!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 5th, 2018, 10:07 am

Getting to the screen you want can be a nightmare. I was booking some easy jet flights and had arranged my own accom. Easyjet wanted me to book something with them, I did not want to, but finding the next page was very much hidden. Then they wanted me to book car hire with them, again I wanted to book my own....... It really does put me off using them sometimes........ Then there is Ryanair........ I am not going to even go there !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » October 5th, 2018, 10:26 am

I am not in UK but seem to remember something along the line of a 'clear and understandable text' policy ? or was that just wishful thinking !!

Depths of my brain seems to throw up that it may have been something to do with energy companies?
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 5th, 2018, 10:50 am

musselsandfries wrote:Amazon...

I rarely use but just ordered a watch strap. The screen was an absolute nightmare with a bombardment of 'try prime' stuff.

Strap was eligible for free one day (normal) delivery

last box had 2 choices (well I thought was choices) sign up for prime OR continue with one day delivery.

continued....and although like to think I am computer savvy was indeed caught out. Just noticed that, in extremely hard to spot text that my trial had started.

A good fair few minutes later I ended the trial, including taking screen shots of final info. I do wish I had recorded every step of cancelling process as I cannot believe such long windedness and 'manner of speech' is legal. (you will lose this, you wont be able to that this may affect current orders etc)

I know there was a big thing about its 'sneakiness' a few years ago but I thought it was useful to post a reminder..;

i really need coffee now :)

I had exactly the same problem - was duped into starting a free trial for Prime. I contacted customer services and told them that I felt I had been deliberately misled and that it was tantamount to fraud - once I said I was going to report them to Action Fraud they cancelled it immediately. I get so fed up of invisible buttons to get you to the right page that I usually exit the site and go elsewhere - but not before emailing their customer service to tell them why my basket is full but I am not proceeding with the sale. Probably won't make any difference but it makes me feel better! :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » October 5th, 2018, 11:41 am

I went back in and took a screen shot of that final choice box thing.....when one scrolls down out of normal eyesight range the 'keep as requested' choice was there.

I have now sent this to them and now to feel better!!
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 5th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I take advantage of the 'trial period's for Prime that Amazon offers me from time to time ... but I set a reminder on Outlook to cancel it before it comes to the end so I don't get to the date when the automatically take a payment .......... I remember Tezza getting caught by that a few years ago.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 5th, 2018, 6:15 pm

suffolk wrote:I take advantage of the 'trial period's for Prime that Amazon offers me from time to time ... but I set a reminder on Outlook to cancel it before it comes to the end so I don't get to the date when the automatically take a payment .......... I remember Tezza getting caught by that a few years ago.

It was because of Tezza getting caught out that I made sure I had not inadvertently let myself in for that scam when I recently ordered something from Amazon ..!!!
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm

I haven't had any scams for a while. I feel neglected.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 5th, 2018, 6:35 pm

There seems to be a rash of "Microsoft" phone calls at the moment, along with "BT" ones.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby miss mouse » October 5th, 2018, 6:39 pm

aero280 wrote:There seems to be a rash of "Microsoft" phone calls at the moment, along with "BT" ones.

I haven't had any, why have I been neglected. Thanks for the warnings everyone.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 5th, 2018, 10:23 pm

I just seem to get those recorded messages. There’s an irritating one that’s silent though there’s a quality to the silence that suggests a recording. Then an English female voice says Good Bye and disconnects

Why would anybody bother? I don’t say anything except Hello, just in case there’s a real live person around
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 6th, 2018, 8:06 am

StokeySue wrote:There’s an irritating one that’s silent though there’s a quality to the silence that suggests a recording. Then an English female voice says Good Bye and disconnects

I get those as well. What are they?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 6th, 2018, 9:22 am

There is one doing the rounds here telling people that they must renew their Carte Vitale (the state healthcare identity card). It looks the thing with all the right logos etc but the French is not quite right. When Mr R googled it he found it is indeed a scam. People who fall for it risk identity fraud and also loose a couple of hundred €s
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 9th, 2018, 9:37 am

I have been invited to be a Morrisons Secret Shopper, click to receive £100.

Hmm. I don't think I will.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 9th, 2018, 2:09 pm

I had a badly recorded message yesterday saying it was the police, they are investigating a HMRC "TEX" fraud I am involved in. Hmmmm let me think do the police send recorded messages, let alone saying Tex rather than tax, I think not, Beep I cut them off and blacklisted the number.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 11th, 2018, 3:46 pm

It seems that the temporary e-mail address problem is now available for telephone numbers. We had a scam call from a lady with an educated English voice telling us our computer, e-mail, bank details, etc were compromised by a virus. But it came from what appeared to be a genuine London phone number, rather than the usual "number withheld". On googling the number it seems it's a new breed of "one-use only" numbers and the internet says that they are linked back to a Russian scam.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » October 11th, 2018, 7:02 pm

That's interesting aero - and worrying :evil:. I feel that some of today's nuisance calls use those numbers.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 11th, 2018, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the warning.

Why on earth 'disposable numbers'? What legitimate use are they?
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 17th, 2018, 12:10 pm

How stupid do some scammers think we are? Apparently i had a parcel which couldn't be delivered on Monday and if i want it i have to pay €25.00 fee. I was in all day Monday and yesterday and I have nothing on order and if i really had a parcel our lovely postie Valerie would have left it on the veranda table.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 19th, 2018, 1:45 pm

I just had a phone call on my mobi - it was a London number 02003493395. A girl said she was calling from some company that I didn't catch the name of. She said she was calling about the terrible accident I was involved in that wasn't my fault. I had her on loud speaker so OH could hear her too. Oh yes I said it was horrendous - more than that it was just terrrible, terrible, terrible - I don't think I will ever get over it ! I went on and on - she put the phone down. OH and I laughed - that's the way to get rid of them!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 2:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:

A friend does similar ... and then asks how much compensation they can get him as the accident removed his p**is and b**ls .... that gets rid of them :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » October 19th, 2018, 3:43 pm

:lol: :lol: If I said that they would certainly hang up on me!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 19th, 2018, 5:03 pm

He's a complete daaarling and a very camp Glaswegian one at that ... I think he must frighten them rigid. :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 19th, 2018, 5:31 pm

suffolk wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:

A friend does similar ... and then asks how much compensation they can get him as the accident removed his p**is and b**ls .... that gets rid of them :lol:

How funny and inventive! :lol: I must remember that one as I get these all the time! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop