Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIII AKA TONY

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2018, 2:11 pm

I'm thinking it might be preferable to make a new hole in the wall and do a complete new outlet rather than deconstruct the sink unit ... but I'll be guided by the Lovely Builder.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 22nd, 2018, 4:38 pm

Hello all :wave:

I hope the plumbing situation is resolved quickly suffs! That whirlwind Moira! :shock: I really fancy fish pie now! :lol:

And I applaud whoever is responsible for the current batch of Coca-cola advertisements on TV. For the first time in my life I really fancy one! Must resist, must resist....

Today's volunteering went very well. I've been 'promoted' :lol: to manning reception alone instead of shadowing! :grin:

My housing officer is going to refer the situation here to community police support. :tu:

And I have come home to an email inviting me to attend a paid work interview on Saturday! :bounce: I don't actually think hours, pay or location are going to be suitable, but I shall go along anyway.

Trying to decide on dinner. It will probably be the last portion of veg curry on a jacket potato. :hungry:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 22nd, 2018, 5:12 pm

Things seem to be looking up Tezza! It's all confidence boosting which is a good thing.

Suffs, I can hear the builder making that sucking noise through his teeth already!

I somehow managed to spend 3 hours looking round Hobby Craft, Dunelm Mill and Sainsburys this afternoon :oops:. I almost bought a pair of curtains, thinking that after several years of waiting to find the right ones for my dining room I had at last found them. I think I want ones in a sort of terracotta colour picked out exactly from part of a large poster on the wall . These were a pattern in what seemed the right terracotta and grey (the colour of the carpet) so I took a photo. I have just looked at the photo in the room. The colour does not match at all and they would look really hideous. I had never thought of taking photos of things like that on my phone until DD introduced me to the idea a while back!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 22nd, 2018, 5:39 pm

The photo thing took me a while earthmaiden I don’t really think of photos as temporary notes, but often that’s a good use of them

The outbreak of housework this morning has caused some recently underused muscles to protest, but there’s no sign of the injury, just the aftermath of lazy muscles, think the holiday did it good, strolling and resting (and one evening dancing!)

Have a good evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » October 22nd, 2018, 6:42 pm

Evening all :hug:

Hope the plumbing is sorted soon Suffs.

We were supposed to be hosting Christmas day this year but my parents are going to my brother's instead as nieces have requested both sets of grandparents to be present. Parents are now coming to us on Boxing Day :tu: We are going to have duck or goose for Christmas day for a change and Boxing Day night will be a buffet :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 22nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

Using my mobile phone camera has come in handy for me when I have been trying to match paint samples on my walls to those in the shop. Also, the bus route I live on does not show my street on the online timetable, nor is a paper copy easily availabe, so I have a photo of the bus stop sign on my phone. :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 22nd, 2018, 8:51 pm

Blood tests have come back fine except my sodium levels are a tad raised which means I need to drink a bit more water during the day. ECG was fine so all in all it seems I shall be around for a while !

Slight scare as the receptionist said my liver function was abnormal which panicked me, on talking to the quack it seemed it was the liver and kidney functions were lumped together and it was the sodium situation as above. She rightly could see that the receptionist needed some further education......

I have sorted the chestnut woodpile into cut and uncut, we should have enough to last the winter. Hedges are 80% cut and we had excellent news by close of play today from the solicitor handling Dad's probate :tu: :tu: :tu: We will not be raiding the pension pot any longer...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 22nd, 2018, 9:12 pm

Glad the tests were ok Zosh ... phew!!!

Just heard from builder that he’s aiming to be with us ag 7am tomorrow! :shock: night night all ......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 23rd, 2018, 5:24 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. An odd incident last night, I was dropping off to sleep at about 20 past midnight when I heard two blasts from what I think was a shotgun, followed a few seconds later by a single shot, no shouting, no dogs barking except the usual ones in the distance. I can only guess that someone was after foxes trying to get at the chickens. I must ask the fount of all village knowledge, Effie.
Hope that the builder turns up on time, Suffs.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 23rd, 2018, 5:41 am

Early riser today ! Thanks Suffs, hope the plumbing situation gets sorted today :tu:

I shall be sorting the composting area today, all twigs and stems have been 'dumped' where we 'arrange' it so I will don wellies and relevant clothing and organise it when it gets light and :evil: has gone to work. Mr. Z. has threatened to clean the windows, I am very grateful that he does but he really does need to clean them with his specs on ! !

Wonderful moon rise last night, my bedroom was flooded in moonlight. I slept with the blinds up so I could see it...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2018, 6:08 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

The builder has been here since ten to seven, he is under the worktop with a wrench and a hammer ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 23rd, 2018, 7:16 am

Good morning wild ones :mug: Thanks stuffs. :tu: I need to go and get eggs this morning , somebody put an empty egg box in the fridge :twisted: :twisted: weather wise, it's grey at the moment, but not cold, hopefully it will brighten later.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2018, 7:25 am

Morning all!

Good to hear you seem to have healed Sue. Onwards and upwards with the muscles :).

Glad too that you are fighting fit Zosh ;) .

Only in Norfolk ... ! It always amuses me when staying with F. that all the business of the day has been conducted before 8am with streams of visitors calling and assuming she will be up, dressed and well into the day ( and she is!).

This night owl is still in her nightie drinking coffee at 8.30am. GD is coming today so had better get my skates on. Yes, the moon looked gorgeous last night.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 23rd, 2018, 8:17 am

I am came back from the supermarket to find men on the roof :!: Kyriacos is trying to make the roof watertight before the rains really start. I know that there are more storms forecast for the end of the week plus a drop in temperature, it going down to 22 C in the day, 14 C at night, that is in Limassol, we are always at least 2 C cooler up here.
Great excitement in the supermarket, they have imported Double Cream, Fromage Frais and that great rarity, Crème Fraiche. Not that I could buy any as Deb will be away for ten days. She is going to Tuscany on a sightseeing and foodie tour. She leaves tomorrow, stays overnight at Heathrow then flies to Pisa so I will be doing the airport run tomorrow.

The olive harvest has started.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2018, 8:45 am

earthmaiden wrote:Only in Norfolk ... ! It always amuses me when staying with F. that all the business of the day has been conducted before 8am with streams of visitors calling and assuming she will be up, dressed and well into the day ( and she is!).

He sorted the problem, went up to the suppliers and got a new piece of pipe, connected everything up and was gone by 9.15am ... £40 in total ... love him :luv:

Yesterday's towels are having a hot wash :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope the plumber has come out from under and all is now well Suffs.

Glad you have been pronounced fit for work Zosh :tu: :tu:

We've spent the morning so far sorting through Mr R's clothes because he suddenly stopped the in house one in, one out rules. He porduced one shirt which he has had since he was teaching - ie 25 years ago! The clothes bank is going to be fed later today.

I do hope your roof is made watertight Moira. We are promised very stormy weather this weekend and snow on the Alps. It was quite cool last night but we too had a beautiful moon. It was however, firmly shut outside I can't sleep with light in the bedroom.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 23rd, 2018, 9:05 am

Morning busy bees! I haven't even got out of pit properly yet! You do all put me to shame! :lol:

Actually I have been up and rescheduled a hair appointment as it clashes with my job interview. But then I got back into bed! :oops: I need to sort through some more paperwork ready for the tip today, and a good hoover and mop wouldn't go amiss at some point. I wonder if my mum fancies a coffee at job interview venue (garden centre). I think I'll give her a tinkle! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 10:42 am

Good morning
Did the waking up and going back to sleep thing myself
Must get on a bit with laundry and stuff

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 23rd, 2018, 10:47 am

Morning Wildies :wave:

Glad tests OK Zosh.

Toaster exploded whilst Mr S was making his brek :shock: . Big bang, followed by flames from the back. Thankfully, Mr S grabbed said toaster and stuck it outside before it did more than blow a couple of fuses. Guess what I shall be shopping for later? :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2018, 10:54 am

Seatallan wrote:Toaster exploded whilst Mr S was making his brek

Sounds as if several of us are having 'equipment issues' :rolleyes:

At least mine has solved the mystery of the faint smell of damp whenever I open the saucepan cupboard of late .... don't suppose it'll take it long to dry out once the weather gets cool and the heating's on all day.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 11:12 am

The little damp absorber canisters sold in supermarkets and pound shops work well for that sort of thing Suffolk- and in fact I have one in my saucepan cupboard as it has actually dried out and I’m using the absorber to check if the damp returns, as it’s due to a problem with next door’s guttering
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2018, 11:13 am

:tu: Thanks for refreshing my memory Sue ... on the list for next time I go anywhere :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 23rd, 2018, 11:37 am

Much muttering from the local population about storms on Thursday. I do not always trust local weather forecasts but I have just seen a warning from RAF Akrotiri produced by the UK Met Office which confirms the worst. I am reorganising my tasks for Thursday.
The freezer is almost defrosted, luckily we were able to pull it outside so the water drips are minimal

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 23rd, 2018, 12:19 pm

Nice to see common sense and an ethical approach winning for once ... lets hope a sense of morality spreads over the whole rail network ..... :|

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/suffolk-stud ... -1-5748116
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 23rd, 2018, 2:42 pm

Just booked a week in Cornwall in June, :bounce: :bounce:

It’s not been exactly straightforward as we wanted a pet friendly property all on one level (for my Mum and Dad), so choice was somewhat limited. Now I just need to arrange someone to put them on the train in York whilst we are driving down with all the luggage..........what could possibly go wrong???

They have to change at Plymouth, does anyone know if it’s a big Station with multiple platforms, or a more manageable for two pensioners one of which is in a wheel chair? I will book assistance but I know Dad will want to manage on his own.

BB

Going off to check what’s on at the Minack theatre......

Edited to add......will have to wait for next years programme.
Busybee
Registered

Postby scullion » October 23rd, 2018, 2:55 pm

yes, it's quite a big station and yes, it has multiple platforms - i think there are about eight.
there are underpasses that go to all platforms but it's a few years since i last stopped there so i can't remember if it's steps or slopes.
can you check to see which platform the connections arrive and leave from - they may not have to change platforms,

here's a map of the platforms - there are stairs and lifts (hover the cursor over the features)
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations- ... ation-plan

the minack programme comes out around the new year.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 3:07 pm

You may remember I tripped over a misdelivered Amazon parcel

I have heard back form them; an apology, an assurance that the driver has had a good talking to, and £30 added to my account

Result!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 23rd, 2018, 3:13 pm

Thanks Scully, I will check re platforms nearer the time.

I’m so excited that we are going to a different part of Cornwall, Mum has been going to Gorran Haven annually since 1959, and I love it dearly, but I’ve been dying to go further South so it a big deal for her trying somewhere else. We are going to a place called Goldsithney and I’m so looking forward to it. Cornwall in June is just gorgeous.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 23rd, 2018, 3:28 pm

It's probably me.... I just don't get it ? How can you go to the same place year on year and know there are just so many fab places out there.....and not go an discover them...... All? We have been to 45 different Greek islands and try not to go back to the same ones (except for airports) Similiarly the whole world has such a plethora of places (purses depending) how can you not visit them ??

Call it complacency but the world is your oyster..... I suppose it must be the Magellan in me !!! Mr. Z. has just reminded me he died en route.... :?
Last edited by Zosherooney on October 23rd, 2018, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » October 23rd, 2018, 3:33 pm

i agree - it's pretty gorgeous at the moment, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 23rd, 2018, 3:45 pm

you may be making an assumption that it's their only holiday in the year or that they don't have accessibility problems etc.
maybe they like to keep their carbon footprint to a minimum.
when i was living with my parents we went to devon for weekend visits (to visit friends and family) and then later on up to north norfolk most weekends in the summer but we'd also have holidays all over europe - i'd been to over a dozen countries before i was eight.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 23rd, 2018, 4:01 pm

To be clear it’s not their only holiday. Mum, unusually, for someone her age travelled the world as a teenager. I think Asia might be the only continent she hasn’t visited (depends on if you count Russia as Europe or Asia).

They are both well travelled although a Dad has a way to go to catch Mum up. It’s just that Cornwall, and especially Gorran Haven is a special place to Mum, it’s where she went with her a Dad shortly before he died, and so she like to return at least once a year. She has introduced other Yorkshire friends to the area, so much do, that two couples have retired there, so they have friends to visit too.

Alas, she is now almost confined to a wheelchair and foreign travel is more difficult, and getting travel insurance for someone their age and with her medical history, very expensive. But in addition to this holiday I am accompanying them on two other foreign trips next year, both to somewhere new, so she still gets to see new places and experiences.

I think returning to somewhere you have been to before no different than visiting a favourite restaurant, it’s always nice to eat somewhere new but the old favourites still have a place in our hearts.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby beldubby » October 23rd, 2018, 4:15 pm

Well said Busybee!
beldubby
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 23rd, 2018, 5:21 pm

We nearly always go to the Lake District or Scotland, Occasionally Ireland or Wales. Can never see past it somehow. So many mountains (in the UK alone) and so little time. We did discuss going to Paris for our 10th wedding anniversary but by some strange quirk of fate, ended up at the top of a Lake District fell. On our 20th anniversary we considered Florence but by an even odder quirk of fate ended up at the top of one of the Brecon Beacons. No idea how it happens.... :D

Sue- hurrah re the Amazon result!! :tu: :)
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 23rd, 2018, 5:39 pm

It all depends on whether you want a holiday to relax in familiar surroundings, without the hassle of learning the ropes of a new location, or whether you want the excitement of exploring somewhere new, I biet a lot of people would like one of each.

I'm more the exploring type myself, not sure what I'd do all day in a place where I didn't have the usual activities, and had done all the excisions. Feel much the same about the big cruise liners, though the river cruise was fine, we used it more as a transportable hotel to see various places, than as a place to be all day.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 23rd, 2018, 5:46 pm

Don't get me wrong, I am not out to be controversial. Beldubby please don't jump to conclusions. I have travelled long distances and nowadays I struggle with longhaul flights (just prefer not to) Hub wants to ! I know that as I get older I will be closer to home later on it's just that this planet of ours is a fantastical place with loads of extreme diverse continents, and I love the UK, we have some wonderful places its just that foreign travel is very easy and accessible ATM and I am a true believer that travel, foreign cultures and some religions really broaden the mind and enrich your life.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 23rd, 2018, 6:28 pm

Wholeheartedly agree with Sue. Returning to the familiar is a good recipe for a lovely relaxing time. Seeking the new is an exciting adventure. Neither is wrong, it's just what suits you at the time. When I was in my teens I planned to travel to so many places but I have to be honest and say that I have crossed a good many off that list since then just because I don't want to go to those places so much now for a multitude of reasons. I love adventures but the thrill of arriving back at places I know well and just slipping into that lifestyle is lovely too.

Busy day with GD. We made soup. It was fortunate she had been set half term homework from nursery to explore root vegetables. We had fun finding out what each smelt like when freshly cut and discovered that onions bring tears to the eyes :). I am interested in her latest role play game. We have to take turns as 'designers' who come in to dress and make up people who are going to parties. The world of a 21st century 3 year old never ceases to amaze me :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 23rd, 2018, 7:04 pm

The reason we live where we do is because we came to this area every single year for 10 years. Fell in love with it in year one then spent years trying to find somewhere we could live happily when we retired. It then happened in a flash and within 3 weeks we had bought the house we now live in.

We spent msny years before that travelling widely and loving it and of course lived in a rather exotic place..

Nether of us is exactly out-doorsy we prefer museums, ancient sites and so forth It's the same these days, but add good food to the mix. My lack of mobility does restrain us but we still love going places. I really can't see us doing long haul any more.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » October 23rd, 2018, 7:14 pm

Good evening everyone,
Glad the plumbing issue was sorted suffs :)
Zosh :hi5: on the test results
Well deserved result from Amazon Sue :tu:
I came on to post earlier then got side-tracked :oops: .
I love revisiting places - I find I can get into holiday/chill mode so much quicker. My favourite place for this is the Cowal penisula I just :luv: :luv: it. Not far from home but feels like a different world- worth a visit if you are up that way. :)
The weather has been truly horrible here today, not helped by still feeling grotty with the cold so I haven't ventured further than the bins!
'm still feeling grotty and have a lovely swollen eye thanks to a blocked tear duct which I'm prone to when I get bunged up. Not a pretty look but it will sort itself out hopefully well before the engagement do.
I spent a pleasant couple of hours noodling through old photos to find some of my elder son when he was wee for a decoration my sister is making for the "do". His fiancee's Mum has sent me some crackers from when she was a tot so it should look good and be a lovely surprise. :D Now my younger son has hauled the photo box out of the loft I think my winter "project" needs to be finally putting them into some sort of order. I spent ages photographing my selection before remembering I had a photo scan function on my printer. Thankfully they seemed to have turned out ok so no need to redo. :oops:
My Dad is coming for lunch tomorrow and I've made mushroom soup, I think I've been a bit heavy handed with the mushroom powder as it is very mushroomy. I shall see how the flavours meld overnight and tone down with some cream cheese and/or mashed potato if it needs it tomorrow.
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 24th, 2018, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I think that one of the reasons that people return to the same place is that they know the local shops, their neighbours and local facilities, in other words it is their second home.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 24th, 2018, 5:45 am

It must be just me then....... ;)

The moon is still shining, I wonder how many pennies we made last night with it shining on the solar panels ?? I need to send my next reading in soon.

L2C I'll have some of your mushroom soup ! It's my favourite.... :chops: :chops:

Wonder how Patsys getting on in Canada? She was meant to be coming to 'test' the Hobbit House this coming w/e so we have postponed it for the time being.

Now we still have more stuff to shift from the garage ready for next Monday. Mr. Z should be working Thu & Fri so need to get a bit of a wiggle on today.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » October 24th, 2018, 6:58 am

Good morning wild ones. It's very still this morning, there is a strange luminescent light, it looks like it might snow :o not that it's forecast yet.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 24th, 2018, 7:04 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A clear blue sky this morning and it doesn’t seem to be as blustery as yesterday ... but I’m glad the heating is on.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 24th, 2018, 7:12 am

Zosherooney wrote:It must be just me then.......

no, it's you, too - 45 greek islands? you can't say that there isn't a similiarity between those. i've been to two small ones and a couple of places on the greek mainland - there was a sense of familarity in all of them.
scullion
Registered

Postby aero280 » October 24th, 2018, 8:21 am

We have two regular places that we stay at when travelling in Europe. Both are a reasonable day’s drive from Calais. One is on the Mosel in Germany, where we stop for a few nights and buy wine. Useful when we go down to Austria, Hungary, etc. The other is in the Dordogne, and useful when coming back from Spain and the Med.

Otherwise we roam around, but have been back to some places a second time.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » October 24th, 2018, 8:24 am

Morning all,

Very much a completely grey day here, so that in itself has made my mind up for me that a splash of colour is in order in the form of a deep plum hair colour. I'll pop off and get one once I've paid my bills and had my hair cut. I made a huge cauldron of spiced parsnip soup last night to be shared with my mum. Later on I may cook some split pea and pearl barley soup mix to stir through it for some added oomph!

Right...onwards! Have fun everyone! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » October 24th, 2018, 8:29 am

Just off to take Deb to Larnaca Airport, I have received my instructions about dog feeding (easy) and plant watering, far more complicated.
" he/she is doing the airport run" is taken as a common reason for someone not attending a regular event. Today I will not make it to lacemaking, last Friday M was not at Mah jong as she was taking her neighbours to catch their flight.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 24th, 2018, 8:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Although it is an absolutely gorgeous morning Mr R us sorting out the woodburner and setting it ready to light. Colder weather is clearly on it's way. You know it's cold when I put socks on! This hasn't happened yet this year.

Talking about travelling. When we came back from the Bahamas
having taken the opportuniyu to visit all manner of places in the USA, the caribbean and Mexico we decided we had to get to know Europe.We were not exactly well off and we had the children, but our Renault 4s (We eventually had 5 of them) took us all over the place and by the late 70s we had settled on renting somewhere for 2 weeks and on the way there and back spending a week in a different region of France - both being teachers this was possible. We had some mad experiences and got to know this country very well.
Then the children grew up and they too lived here and there so we got to know were they lived both in the UK and elsewhere. These days we tend to stay put because we live in such a beautiful place. It is however rural and just sometimes we miss the city and all it has to offer in the way of galleries,, museums theatres and of course shops! Hence our newer pattern of spending a little less time and rather more money on staying somewhere nice and enjoying good food and plenty of "culture"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » October 24th, 2018, 8:56 am

Scullery every Greek island I have been to has been different, I am asked for a favourite - could not possibly say, love them all for very different reasons. There are over 2.5K Greek islands not all of them inhabited. One place I would never go back to was Tenerife. CIA = charmless iberian architecture...... Full of Brits on Holiday - Yuk ! :sprout: ;) :lol:

Blue skies, sunny with a bit of a chill - that disappears if you move fast enough....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 24th, 2018, 9:18 am

I've travelled about a fair bit in Europe in my time (the ex wouldn't fly so we drove everywhere) ... we took the children camping (little out of the way places, not big campsites) all over Europe and later stayed in cottages and with families in Italy, France,Denmark, Holland and Belgium, taking our time to make the journeys, stopping off at towns and villages along the way, getting to know people and places. We never, not once, took a holiday that had been arranged for us by anyone ... no package-type holidays ... we corresponded with individuals in the places we chose and planned our own journeys and places to stay. One memorable holiday in Tuscany started when we saw a small ad in the Observer for a villa to rent up in the hills above Florence ... it had a phone number that was local to us in Suffolk so we rang ... the woman we spoke to was vaguely related to the owners of the villa and had undertaken to help them with advertising etc ... we took a ferry from Harwich to Zeebrugge and drove across Europe, stopping overnight in a small auberge in eastern France ... they spoke no English, I had school French ... the locals viewed us with amusements and played tricks on us, setting off the amazing musical automata collection at various intervals during our meal to make us jump and astonish us :lol: ... and the evening turned into a good humoured Anglo-French sing-along :lol: .

When we found the villa in the tiny village in the hills the neighbours turned out to greet us ... presents of home grown nectarines, vegetables and bread left on our doorstep in the morning, our little blond haired green eyed daughter was much admired and taken to see the chickens ... the next day the neighbours took us up into the hills/mountain (a bit of a scary drive) to meet the elderly farmer and his wife who owned the villa (it was to be for their retirement and they were renting it out in the hope of paying for its construction before they moved in ...) where we were introduced to the flock of sheep which were milked for cheese and we ate sweet little fried pastries and drank more grappa than was good for us at that time in the morning!

We spent the entire holiday being part of village life, from watching football matches to cheering the bicycle races down the hillside :scared: and being invited into people's homes for meals. We got to know Roberto the proprietor of the village restaurant and his wife and mother (who tried and failed to teach me how to make pasta as fine as hers) ... when we asked for suggestions of a place to stay on our journey home we were booked in with Roberto's sister and brother in law at their hotel in Bellagio ... they would brook no argument ... we were greeted with cups of strong tea and toast when we arrived (the brother in law had been a POW in Scotland and was proud that he could make British tea) and in the evening we were fed like royalty ... my husband and I and daughter slept in a huge four poster bed and son in a single bed at the foot of our bed ... in the morning there was a knock on the door and Roberto's sister came in with a tray of tea and toast for us ... then she opened the huge curtains at window facing our bed and we looked out to an amazing view over Lake Como ... when we got downstairs we found a full English breakfast waiting for us ............ they were so kind and generous ... that overnight stay and all the food cost us £15.00 in total ... they wouldn't take more ... this was the early 1980s. That's the sort of holiday I like ... total immersion :D

However, nowadays we prefer to 'totally immerse' ourselves in Cornwall in a place we've grown to know and love ... we've stayed in various places all over the south-west but as I've got older and have slightly less energy to dash about we find that staying in a luxurious cottage in the centre of St Ives suits us just fine ... each year there are new places to eat and drink as well as old familiar haunts ... we know which beach to go to depending on the weather and the state of the tide ... we know when the various galleries change their exhibitions, which day of the week the bakery bakes different treats, which shop sells the best pasties, which boat runs the best trips to see seals and dolphins .... there's plenty of new stuff to see and do as well as looking forward to repeating things we've enjoyed in the past and we just love it :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop