Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXIV ... Ulrika

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2018, 2:02 pm

What a shock WW. So sorry. :hug: :hug:
Lee's advice is good. Are you a union member? If so ask their advice too.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 7th, 2018, 2:09 pm

Yep, buried Mum on Monday, made redundant on Friday.
Compassionate or what?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby scullion » December 7th, 2018, 2:26 pm

how awful!
i would try sending a pm to seatallen, she may be able to give you some suggestions.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2018, 2:32 pm

WW :hug:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 7th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Oh WW :hug: Was there any warning

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm

suffolk wrote:That sounds a real hassle Patsy hope it gets sorted simply.

so far not...…..Soak.com can only tell me to expect delivery tomorrow....can't confirm a time even though they want me to sign for it. They say they can't communcate with the courier service...I am hanging on the phone... 26 minutes now. ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Grrrrrrr! :x
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 7th, 2018, 4:04 pm

I would say warning signs rather than warning.
I was not surprised.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 7th, 2018, 4:10 pm

So sorry to hear that WW. Not what you needed on top of everything else is it?

You should be fine for contribution-based JSA whether you accept the 'go quietly' package or not. It's only where you leave a job without good cause (or are dismissed from a job for misconduct) that problems can start. Hope this helps. :hug:

EM- glad you and Suffs had a lovely lunch. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 7th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Blimey WW, no forward signs ???? I think you can sign on immediately from memory....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 7th, 2018, 7:25 pm

WW just too much. Stay strong and lots of :luv: :luv:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 7th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Oh WWordsworth
Sorry to hear that
At least I got 6 months between the funeral and the unexpected redundancy, and I found that quite disorienting
Take it easy and slow, and don’t rush into anything is my advice, if this chain of events gives you nothing else then at least it gives you a little space and time for reflection

Had an early morning post-op review with the surgeon, we are happy so far, in fact spent most of our time discussing a violin shop of our mutual acquaintance

Then I had a wander round the shops, bought some bits in M&S, had lunch (Razai, a sort of Indian Sloppy Joe) in Calcutta Canteen and came home, on s bus that got rather caught in road works. Was slightly amused that most of the other customers in CC were young office workers of Indian heritage showing a colleague how informal Indian food works - a good sign though

Shattered. Had a little nap, will make a bit of supper and go to bed

Have a good night everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » December 7th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Thanks for your wishes everyone.
Seatallen - so if I negotiate a sensible "go quietly" deal (ie VR) you think I might be eligible for JSA?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 7th, 2018, 9:37 pm

WW :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Had an EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTING Chinese for tea tonight. We are used to having decent-quality food from them, but we will now vote with our feet. The meal took OVER AN HOUR to come (should have taken 10 mins, tops, plus cooking time), so it wasn't even warm :x . Neither was it freshly cooked :sprout: , AND they insisted on taking payment for it! :x

The Jade Garden
Clayton
AVOID!
:x
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 8th, 2018, 2:51 am

WWordsworth wrote:Yep, buried Mum on Monday, made redundant on Friday.
Compassionate or what?

From experience...give your brain space and sanity as much focus as possible on the recovery of burying your mum. Work situations are important to resolve, but secondary where your wellbeing is concerned. It's so easy to get sucked into the unfair way our employers treat us, but right now, you don't *beep* need it. All they care about is bums on seats and money, not hearts You've had good advice here today and more to come if need be on the legalities of redundancy. If you do have to phone JSA about a claim, do it between 2pm and 4pm. Their quietest hours. Otherwise you will be on hold to the sound of Vivaldi for at least an hour, beautiful as he is, forever in my mind now the JSA hold music theme tune.

A bit of a rocky road ahead for you possibly, but sort-out-able. Try not to worry. Take care of yourself. If I can help in any way with anything JSA related please PM me. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 8th, 2018, 7:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I really must do my Christmas cards.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2018, 7:37 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

:hug: to all with worries and cares this weekend.

It’s been jolly windy here in Norfolk overnight .... the wind woke me and I had to get out of bed to shut the window :rolleyes:

Both of us feel the need for a Full English for supper this evening :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. It has been very windy here too. All the barriers around the road works have blown over leaving gaping big holes exposed, they are replacing gas pipes, we shall see who falls down one first. ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » December 8th, 2018, 9:13 am

Morning all :hug:

It is very windy here, just trying to motivate myself to getting ready to go out. I have a few presents to get today and possibly a walk at the coast. I also need to go to my parents so I can wash my hair in their shower. Ours is working but the temperature is stuck on very hot. A new one has been bought but hubby needs to find time to do it as things need moving around a bit.

:D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2018, 9:33 am

Morning all!
So sorry to read your news WW. Seems as though the gods are pointing you towards a whole new life chapter - I hope it turns out to be a blessing in disguise. :hug:.

Glad your post op visit went well Sue.

Yesterday was lovely, the nativity was very sweet - I made sure that mum had tissues handy as it was her first :lol: . How the staff managed to herd numerous 3 year olds onto a stage and get them to sing at least 6 newly-learned songs to an audience without mishap I don't know, but hats off to them! GD apparently was a bit stroppy first thing as she wanted to be a goat and not a sheep but a change of ears did the trick :lol:. The evening pot luck supper was good. We all tried hard to please the vegetarian but she had a cold and didn't come :rolleyes:. I am one of the younger ones in the group so quizzes and games that take little exertion are usually popular. It got to 10.30pm and the host suggested charades (the version where you act out the title of a film, book etc). Everyone who had been thinking about retiring home for bedtime cocoa leaped to life and we had a hilarious time - and got home after midnight. Most unexpected.

Out visiting this morning and at some point will have to brave the parcel collection office on a Saturday :?.

Hope the day goes well for all - just seen something on TV saying that manufacturers of chocolate selections (Quality Street, Roses etc) put fewer of the favourites into the tin than the others to make us buy more. I suspect we all knew that but I wouldn't buy 2 tins just to get more favourites, just suffer the orange creams at the end :lol:. (My current work colleagues all like different ones best - it works a treat!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » December 8th, 2018, 9:39 am

WWordsworth wrote:I have just been made redundant.

So sorry for you. Also, try ACAS - (things have changed no doubt) they may not be able to help directly but could point you in the right direction.

Is the offer in writing? How much is the enhancement? Keep notes of everything said.

All the best to you.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 8th, 2018, 10:20 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It's a gorgeous day and Mr R set of at silly am to get to the market before the gillet jaunes got going. :wave: :wave: By the time he came back before 9.00 they were just assembling but still stopped him and insisted on handing him a leaflet with a long list of their demands, including a shorter working week, 5% VAT, nationalise the autoroutes etc etc. They don't want much - Utopia will do nicely but to hell with the environment and the resst of the world.

I now have the makings of a lovely pot au feu for Monday. 3 sorts of meat and a big marrow bone :drool:

I am being taken out to lunch tomorrow as one of our favourite places is closing until February for their winter break. Our friends restaurant is closing on Jan 2nd and is off to the Carribean for a bit of R&R. He has invited us on 30th for lunch. because I am entertaining on the !st
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » December 8th, 2018, 10:32 am

:hug: :hug: :hug: WW. I have nothng to add, except support.

We have the grandkids here and we've been decorating button trees! Off out to the agility field at 11. Wonder who'll get to the top of the A frame first? They're off to a party this afternoon. I shall be zzzzzzzz........
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 8th, 2018, 10:52 am

Deb has just bought in over 40 lemon grass stalks. A quick Google shoes that LG is essentially a seasoning, not a main ingredient. I know that I can substitute fresh ginger for galangal but I only have dried Kaffir Lime leaves. I think that there is going to be a large stack of lemon grass in the freezer. It is no good for tonight's supper, I am already defrosting some venison steaks, courtesy of LIDL.
I remember trying to post the words Kaffir Lime on the old BBC food board, my post was rejected because of racist language :o
Mentioning language, why do LIDL have such trouble with English? The instructions tell you to defreeze the meat before use, not unfreeze or defrost but defreeze, I know that it is a proper word but not in this context. The other wording is a bit dubious too, obviously not written by a native English speaker.

As usual the French demonstrators have forgotten one thing. Who is going to finance their demands?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2018, 10:56 am

Good morning everyone,
:hug: :hug: to WW and anyone else that needs one.
Still blowing a hooley hear but at least the rain (has for the moment) stopped.
Didn't light the stove last night as I remembered I was told it would be smelly at first and it certainly wasn't a night to be opening doors or windows! I plan to light it in an hour or so and all going well this afternoon will be spent snuggled up in front of it. :)
I could really do with continuing the damp dusting but I'm decidedly non bendy today, it will wait.
Feel as though apart from making a pot of soup I haven't really cooked anything this week. Meals have been of the "here's one I made earlier" variety or popping protein/veg on a tray and baking it. I can feel a cooking bout coming on soon but I'm unsure what I fancy making ;) . Pasta tonight I think with a simple sauce of spinach & mushrooms.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 8th, 2018, 11:17 am

WWordsworth wrote:Seatallen - so if I negotiate a sensible "go quietly" deal (ie VR) you think I might be eligible for JSA?

Yes, you should be fine WW. It's where someone leaves a job without good cause that the problems can arise. In your case, you're going to be made redundant regardless- it's just whether you go sooner (for an enhanced package) or later. The DWP will ask you what the circumstances leading up to the job ending were but I honestly can't see them deciding you left without good cause (and in the unlikely event that they did you'd have extremely strong grounds for challenging the decision). On the presumption you're up to date with your NI contributions you should be entitled to 6 months of contribution-based JSA (or 'new style' JSA as it is known if you live in an area where Universal Credit has already been rolled out). After 6 months you'd have to claim means-tested benefit (entitlement to which would depend on whether you/your partner have other income, savings, etc).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2018, 12:44 pm

YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT ........... BUT IT'S TRUE!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Smart Meter Saga continues .............. having been told by NPower the other week that the reason I've had two 'appointment failures' to fit smart meters (and consequent compensation payments) is because 'the meters don't work in your area' I have just received another letter from 'Access Install' telling me that they'll be fitting meters in my area next week so they've made an appointment to fit smart meters here next Wednesday morning.

As you can imagine this resulted in an immediate 'angry phone call' to Npower when I asked 'Charlotte' in Customer Service to find someone to put AccessInstall up against a wall and throw darts at them ... she said that she is even more angry with them than I am and she'll happily throw darts at them ................ that's the sort of Customer Service I approve of! She has promised that I will not hear from them again re smart meters unless and until they become mandatory. Watch this space ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 8th, 2018, 12:49 pm

I get loads of those letters printed on very good quality paper. The paper makes wonderful scrap paper for shopping lists.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 8th, 2018, 1:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: .... Suffs, love it! Now sit back and wait for the next £30 when they don't turn up on Wednesday because you cancelled the appointment 8-).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 8th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Been away for two days, came home last night to no internet. Spent the morning up the scaffold twisting wires together to repair the temporary connection on the BT line. Then out to lunch.

I will read back when I have time.

As to unexpected redundancy, it happened to me years ago. I would second the advice to take your time. But I would also suggest that you register with an agency for temporary employment. Don't be too fussy in taking these jobs, they are temporary on both sides, and you may find one that you enjoy and can be made permanent. In my last employment we ended up employing quite a few people who came as temps.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby liketocook » December 8th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I'm a very toasty ltc - I :luv: :luv: my stove.
I've had a very lazy afternoon lolling on the couch pretending to read my book while actually watching the fire. Pennies well spent I think. :D
WW - as others have said you should be fine for JSA if you take VR. Any unemployment insurance could be a different issue though it does seem to depend on the terms. My ex took VR when like you it was a choice between that or compulsory redundancy and the policy paid as did JSA. Where it seems to get sticky for both insurance and JSA is if the VR is termed as a "Voluntary Exit" rather redundancy and there may be a query from DWP re leaving voluntary though I think that would be ok. Worth doing the sums and seeing if the enhanced VR package is financially worth it. Six months JSA is under £2000 and even if no benefit is paid if you make a claim and still sign on you'll get your National Insurance credited.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2018, 6:48 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
It’s been a very wet night here in Norfolk ... OH is working today and has requested Coronation chicken salad and baked potatoes for supper ... the chicken is already cooked so I have a relaxing day ahead reading/knitting etc. I ought to write a list of the last bits and pieces I need to get from the city for C’mas as I have to go in on the bus on Wednesday morning ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 9th, 2018, 7:23 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I had a curious dream last night, I was haranguing someone about turning the freezer off, an apology came in the form of large piles of fresh herbs on a all the kitchen services. Very odd :rolleyes:

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

Morning all! Not sure yet if it's grey or fine as it's too dark but the rain has gone and sunny intervals forecast. I'm glad as I am leading a trip out today and although it has been planned around places where we can dive indoors it will be nicer if we don't get wet.

What an interesting dream Moira!

The fire sounds lovely ltc.

After visiting DIL's ma (who has no concept whatsoever of getting ready and being ready for anything at a previously arranged time :rolleyes: ) and bedridden step dad (who is doing quite well) and then queuing at the parcel office (well organised this year with 3 people behind the counter instead of 1) and going to Morrisons (where the air cadets band was struggling through a selection of carols to raise funds) I was knackered and watched the first two episodes of Mrs Wilson before tidying up and going to bed.

Hope it's a peaceful Sunday for all :hug: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 9th, 2018, 8:10 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Pretty wet but calm here this morning. WW I know how you feel same happened to me last year :( But as one door closes another door opens as they say :tu: Good luck and don't take any crap from the company. ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 9th, 2018, 8:56 am

Very jealous L2C, mine looks at me every time I go to the hobbit garage. Roll on Feb !

Fridge got turned off yesterday, :rolleyes: A bricky I think. :spank:

I have upper walls as of close of play yesterday avo.

Sunny bright breezy day, I shall be stashing the logs that came off the silver birch yesterday, they need putting under the laurel hedge to mature for next winter.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2018, 9:43 am

Zosh ... they need a nice long weatherproof extension reel with a couple of sockets ... you can
switch it on at the start of the day and put tape over where it’s plugged in so that they know not to interfere with it. Then they won’t have to go in and interfere with the sockets that are in use. :whip2:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2018, 9:50 am

Good morning
Had nice Turkish meal out last night, about to prep cassoulet

Log burner sounds great ltc

I think my espresso machine has died. It’s supposed to switch itself off about 5 minutes after you stop using it, currently it switches itself off after about 5 seconds of being turned on - the exact opposite of the outdoor light which likes to be on all the time
I don’t need a crystal ball to see trouble and expense lurking in my electrical future :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » December 9th, 2018, 10:22 am

It was sunny, but cold here when I got up. Now wet and cold.

We are meeting friends for lunch, whom hub has known for 50 years. One is/was his childhood neighbour and another is/was his first serious girlfriend, whose husband is a physicist, who doesn't waste breath on words, but that is more than made up for by his wife!! The wife of hub's old neighbour tries to exclude me as much as possible, by referrng to events/people from the past.
I suspect I will not be expending much breath on words either!!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 9th, 2018, 10:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Still fine but a few more clouds over the mountains today. I hope, when we drive up tp Goult for lunch we will see Ventoux completely white. It's lovely to see it alike that at these time of year.

Now you have a working woodburner LTC you will wonder how you ever managed without. It has been so mild over the last week that we have used very little wood. Our verandah creates lovely warmth downstairs when the sun is out so we often don't need to put the fire on until the sun goes down.

I think Sue you should prepare for one more electrical appliance to go on the blink. These things always happen in threes in our experience :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Enjoy your cassoulet!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 9th, 2018, 11:19 am

Good morning everyone,
After the wet & stormy weather for the last couple of days it's bright and sunny here today. I've some bits I want to do outdoors today while the sun is shining. Apart from that I've no plans though really should be getting on with writing the Christmas cards.
I got up for the loo in the early hours and I was surprised how warm the house was despite it being a cold night, my stove love continues :luv:
I made far too much pasta in spicy sauce last night, the leftovers will be "jazzed up" for dinner tonight. No breakfast as I'm for a cooked lunch - bacon, egg, tomato and tattie scone :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » December 9th, 2018, 12:01 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I remember trying to post the words Kaffir Lime on the old BBC food board, my post was rejected because of racist language

That sticks in my mind too Moira ! :( :rolleyes: PC gone mad :o
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 9th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Back from a lovely day out. I had planned it so we started and finished at a lovely canalside cafe, so coffee then lunch were involved as well as a good look round a Christmas shop. There was a logburner in the cafe, it was so wonderfully warm. I thought of you lot and wouldn't mind having one. I've got an open chimney ....

Sounds like a great day ahead Sloe :? . Hope the electrical things jump back to normal Sue - but probably wishful thinking :(. You've reminded me I need to call an electrician for my kitchen light but have no idea when I can be in to greet him :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 9th, 2018, 5:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:There was a logburner in the cafe, it was so wonderfully warm. I thought of you lot and wouldn't mind having one. I've got an open chimney ....

You're halfway there then :D, one for when you retire maybe?
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » December 9th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Evening all. :wave: I hope all is well with all, especially WW. :hug:

It's been a bit manic here this weekend, hence not popping in. Chasing around after a Hermes delivery of mine which went missing and took three days to resolve. I've finally received it courtesy of a neighbour I didn't even know I had, as you do. He very much reminded me of Frank Bruno in looks and laughter in a 'know what I mean Harry' way. :lol:. I've arranged a trip to see my friend over in Hertfordshire just before Christmas. Sooo excited about that. I'm going to have the privilege of meeting her cats for the first time. So I've wrapped their presents up today, coloured my hair, watched a lot of snooker, Countryfile, now Doctor Who. A proper Sunday relaxing under my own roof basically. What could be nicer. :grin:

Off to check Grassy's good will and custard! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 9th, 2018, 8:01 pm

Can't wait to light my wood burning stove......Best get it installed first.....

Yesterdays logs now stashed under our hedge, more logs sawed., twiggy bits sorted. I've been up on the 2nd lift scaffolding and taken photos, just amazing angles and heights....

Very late lunch of squid and swordfish with pink fir apples and a mix of veg in Turkish red sauce. Chestnuts on the open fire, not sure if they can be done in a WBS ??? I doubt it... Scrumpy likes roast chestnuts.... :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 9th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Zosherooney wrote: Scrumpy likes roast chestnuts....

Never heard of a cat liking nuts.

Only 2 days at 'W' next week, as Mum's going into hosp to have her first knee op.
:shock:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » December 9th, 2018, 8:29 pm

He's an odd cat, steals green beans from the garden and loves raw pumpkin and squash. Even eats the odd potato pealing....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 9th, 2018, 9:10 pm

One of my previous mogs had a thing about carrot peelings.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » December 9th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Time for me to hop off now - M****y tomorrow! :shock:

Mum's watching I'm A Celery! :sprout: