Wrapping sandwiches

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Wrapping sandwiches

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 15th, 2019, 8:18 pm

Not the biggest problem in the world to have, but something is bugging me.

I have one of these little coolbags that I take my lunch into work every day, also snacks, mainly pieces of fruit and a biscuit and a yoghurt.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... g-13350924

I started 2019 wanting to give up bread. Lasted two weeks. :rolleyes: So invariably I pop a two slice sandwich in or a piece of filled baguette. It is the best portable lunch item isn't it? But I always feel guilty wrapping it in either cling film or foil, both of which I always have in, mainly for this purpose.

I can't think of any other eco-friendly way of keeping my sarnie wrapped up and protected from crushage from other items.

Like I say, not a major issue, just pickings brains really!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Wrapping sandwiches

Postby Amber » January 15th, 2019, 9:01 pm

Check out the beeswax ‘cling film’ I mentioned a few weeks ago. So far, I’m very impressed. As far as I remember Rats loved it too...

I think there are several different brands available.
Amber
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Bees wax wraps seem popular from an ecological perspective, but expensive:

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/73478/Bee%E2 ... -33-x-33cm

And you'd still need a box to stop the sandwich being crushed, but that's not such a problem as they last years.

Ideally you need a box just the right size to hold a sandwich together, as well as protecting it from crushing, but that just doesn't happen!
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 15th, 2019, 9:36 pm

Loving the look and the reviews of the bee's wax wraps. Agree a bit expensive! So I noticed the paper bags on the same site for a mere £3.99. Why didn't I already think of that? It'll be a bit like wrapping a present. I think that will solve all. I only carry the coolbag in my hand on the way to my car share so not much chance of the sandwich getting squished.

I think that's the perfect solution. I might even be able to chat with my friendly greengrocer as he dishes his produce out in similar. He might be able to sell me a wad even cheaper than £3.99. :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » January 15th, 2019, 10:22 pm

I put sandwiches into a reusable plastic box. I have quite a stash of similar sized boxes I use for freezing things etc so I am not buying new plastic. Small ones fit into most small cool bags.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » January 15th, 2019, 10:24 pm

If I make sarnies for a picnic I use the empty bread bag to wrap them in, they are normally plastic I know but at least they are being reused.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » January 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm

At my last office job I was given a sandwich shaped little box - can't remember the name of the make but they're everywhere - in Secret Santa. It was brilliant and perfect for my sandwich and some carrot sticks. I used to take German rye bread which is thinner slices than regular UK bread

Ah, this was it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sistema-Lunch- ... B003HIVAP6
Sistema.
KC2
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 15th, 2019, 10:48 pm

And if you want to wrap them in something as well as put them in a box, we always used to use greaseproof paper ... generations of farmers and builders in our family and had their sandwiches wrapped in that.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 15th, 2019, 11:04 pm

i don't know the recipe my daughter used for making beeswax wraps but this site seems quite comprehensive. if you go down to nearly the bottom of all the comments there's one by someone who says she's made hundreds with the recipe she posts there.

there's also aluminium foil - at least it's completely recyclable.
scullion
Registered

Postby uschi » January 15th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Boxes here, too. You can buy any size these days. They work well, too.
uschi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » January 16th, 2019, 10:02 am

Big fan of the beeswax paper here. Not that I take sandwiches anywhere these days but it is great for wrapping cheese amongst other things. I sent friends a Lakeland eco gift bag for Christmas. I included the paper, some reusable food covers - like shower caps in different sizes, the bags for fruit and veg shopping - very much admired in Leclerc and a couple of reusable portable cups. They loved it.

Taking of plastic, I got my latest copy of Saveurs this morning in a bio degradable postal bag. I have been campaigning for a couple of years to stop plastic postage bags.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » January 16th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Greaseproof paper fan here and then in a box to avoid squishing.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 16th, 2019, 3:24 pm

I use a lot of greaseproof / parchment as well
A lot of things in the freezer are separated with the paper then stored in boxes or plastic bags which are reused many times, and often salvaged to start with

I used to use greaseproof sandwich bags a lot at one time, you can get them quite cheaply, less than the Lakeland price
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHITE-GREASEPROOF-PAPER-BAGS-GREASE-PROOF-SANDWICH-BAG-SUITABLE-FOR-FOOD-USE-/251164726828?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10&var=551923393948
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » January 16th, 2019, 9:59 pm

For sandwiches, I tend to use cling film or grease proof, (never foil), or boxes; never both.
I haven’t tried the beeswax with sandwiches yet.
Amber
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » January 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

My SIL gave me a selection of eco friendly products for Christmas - these included paper sandwich bags. They are big enough to hold a single round of sandwiches. I also received a loofah bathroom cleaner, paper straws and a shampoo bar which I haven't tried yet.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Suelle » January 17th, 2019, 11:37 am

My sandwich making skills obviously need looking at - I've never yet found a box of exactly the right depth to hold a sandwich closed, and keep the filling inside, while being carried around. So even if I use a box to prevent crushing, the sandwich needs to be wrapped closely too.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » January 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm

I have been looking at all options here, and so far paper bags seem to be the way forward.

Various websites see them coming up at about a penny a pop. :tu:

I have been reminded of little square paper bags that my nan always had in her kitchen that had white greaseproof backs and a film front. If I recall correctly she used to bring them home with her from a catering firm she worked at..... :oops: Well done nan! :lol: :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 17th, 2019, 3:06 pm

You used to be able to buy those bags in shops that sold doilies and drinking straws, I remember packing homemade fudge in them for sales

They might make reappearance as they were made of cellophane, which is cellulose and compostable, not a plastic. The farm stall sold tomatoes in them too and sandwiches at sea front stalls I remember

In fact they are around but you have to be careful as people do use “cellophane” to mean any glass clear film

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FILM-FRONT-CELLOPHANE-PAPER-CLEAR-WINDOW-SANDWICH-BAGS-FOOD-CARD-CAKE-/231986590912
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 17th, 2019, 3:53 pm

having found a few old sheets of foundation i thought i'd have a go at making a wrap with just beeswax. many of the comments on the site i linked to mentioned cracking of the wax on the folds, apparently from too much wax so i was frugal and used about desert spoonful (about half of the little disc in the photo - near the mini grater) on a piece of fabric fifteen or so inches square- ish. i then ironed between baking parchment and other layers of paper (to protect the iron) on the hottest setting to spread the wax. i kept refolding so that the areas with less coverage were next to areas with more wax until the whole piece of cloth looked and felt evenly covered. the picture is to show the difference in colour between the un waxed and waxed fabric.

wrap.JPG

there seems to be enough wax to waterproof but not enough to make cracks too noticeable although there will alway be lines, i would imagine.
if (when) i get hold of some resin and jojoba i'll have a go at the 'cling film' version.

i'm not sure how eco friendly i was using the iron etc!

ps. i pinked then boil washed the bit of fabric. pinking after washing would have been neater.
scullion
Registered

Postby Kavey » January 18th, 2019, 9:28 am

My friend makes her own, she's been making them for friends too. https://figjamandlimecordial.com/2018/0 ... wax-wraps/
(Same method as you're talking about Scullion)
Kavey
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 18th, 2019, 9:48 am

The photos mak that very clear, thanks kavey
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 28th, 2019, 10:50 am

I wonder what temperature water people actually clean the beeswax wraps in. Lakeland says wash in cold water with a mild dish soap.
I know they say not to use with raw meat, but is cold water enough to stop mould or other bacteria, from mayo, cold ham or cheese etc. I guess the theory is that the soap is enough to do that even at that temperature? Or is it something to do with the beeswax, is it naturally antibacterial?
I'm thinking they would make lovely presents in this year's xmas hampers.
I don't have to do sandwiches very often, but use foil when I do. Like the idea of paper bags. I find cheese stores best in Lakeland Food Saver paper, but it's a bit springy for taking sarnies out in, I think it would come unwrapped.
Lokelani
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 28th, 2019, 12:14 pm

I think the idea is that once the wax is ironed into place the bacteria and mould spores won’t penetrate it and so all you need to do is to wash them off the surface to which they won’t stick.

I’m not really sure how effective that would be, but I haven’t used any beeswax wrapping. I think it would be good if someone looked into properly - perhaps they have? Where’s Aggie when you need her?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 28th, 2019, 12:49 pm

StokeySue wrote:I’m not really sure how effective that would be, but I haven’t used any beeswax wrapping.

A local fair-trade collective outlet sells beeswax gift-wrap. The trouble with it is that sticky tape just won't stick to it (so you have to tie it on with string/raffia).
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Lokelani » January 28th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I'm sure Aggie could get one tested within an inch of its life for every possible danger! :lol:
I'll buzz off & do some more Googling! :lol:
Lokelani
Registered

Postby dennispc » January 28th, 2019, 4:04 pm

We've made our own, found beeswax pellets easier and used oven rather than iron.

OH tells me she wipes them off with a dish cloth that's been in hand hot water. So far we haven't used them for wrapping meat, more for covering bowls of food in the fridge - coleslaw etc.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm

This just popped up on Facebook.

https://www.shopetee.com/pages/reusable ... u_OhoCNnEQ

I still haven't got round to seeking al alternative. :rolleyes:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 7th, 2019, 9:59 pm

I have two things against that Teresa
1 Rachel Ray
2 scented with essential oils - scented food wrap? Why?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 7th, 2019, 10:23 pm

It certainly says 'Clove & Cinnamon Essential oils and Jojoba oil', maybe there is an explanation - they may have antibacterial qualities (?). Surely people (even Rachel Ray) wouldn't like them if they impregnated the food with those flavours?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 7th, 2019, 11:41 pm

I didn't spot that. Could be a bit yuck on your food I must admit....
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 7th, 2019, 11:50 pm

It’s jus
earthmaiden wrote:It certainly says 'Clove & Cinnamon Essential oils and Jojoba oil', maybe there is an explanation - they may have antibacterial qualities (?). Surely people (even Rachel Ray) wouldn't like them if they impregnated the food with those flavours?

Sorry earthmaiden please don’t try to excuse stupidity
The jojoba is fine, it is used in many recipes for the wraps to increase pliability and cling. Good
The essential oils are there because they are fashionable among the brain dead wellness morons, no possible good reason. If there was enough there to do any good it would probably dissolve the wax.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 7:56 am

Who or what is Rachel Ray ? :?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 8th, 2019, 9:03 am

suffolk wrote:Who or what is Rachel Ray ? :?

same here …. and they come all the way from the US ? :? :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » February 8th, 2019, 9:24 am

Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2019, 10:16 am

suffolk wrote:Who or what is Rachel Ray ? :?

A mobile cholesterol based fatberg (despite having lost a lot of weight for health and profit)

I’ve a nasty feeling she’s responsible for that repulsive thing where people squeal “umm ummm ummmm” while wriggling their bums when confronted with tasty junk food
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2019, 11:47 am

StokeySue wrote:
I’ve a nasty feeling she’s responsible for that repulsive thing where people squeal “umm ummm ummmm” while wriggling their bums when confronted with tasty junk food

... and that’s another thing I’m totally unaware of ... in my own little world, me :lol:
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 8th, 2019, 12:39 pm

That's all gone over my head too. :lol:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » February 8th, 2019, 10:46 pm

suffolk wrote:
StokeySue wrote:

... and that’s another thing I’m totally unaware of ... in my own little world, me :lol:

Probably the best place to be, Suffs :lol:

I'm totally unaware of those things too :D
Rainbow
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » February 9th, 2019, 9:11 pm

I saw paper sandwich bags in Tesco for the first time today - i’m Now kicking myself that I didn’t buy them ...
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 9th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Thanks for the tip off MATO. I am going to check out their online store now. :tu:

Edited to add - I just did. 30 for £2.00 for online shopping. Probably not available in small stores I wouldn't have thought...

Well spotted though.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » February 10th, 2019, 8:41 am

almost £24 a year on paper bags? try here-
https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/pap ... gKvN_D_BwE
- £7 or £8 for nearly three years.
scullion
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » February 11th, 2019, 3:52 pm

I use Kite Packaging for envelopes - excellent service and very competitively priced.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » February 12th, 2019, 2:48 am

Rachel Ray is to fine cooking as Sir Shifty is to business ethics :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 14th, 2019, 1:29 pm

scullion wrote:almost £24 a year on paper bags? try here-
https://www.kitepackaging.co.uk/scp/pap ... gKvN_D_BwE
- £7 or £8 for nearly three years.

:tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered