Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXV - Van

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 6:42 pm

It reminds me in some ways of the Windsor Castle fire ... but even
more iconic and tragic somehow ...
Last edited by suffolk on April 15th, 2019, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

I just hope they can at least save the main part of the building.
This is so, so awful.
Such an iconic building.
It withstood enemy bombing, as did our own St. Paul's
I just pray they can save it!
:cry:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 15th, 2019, 9:01 pm

LATEST UPDATE:

21:56
BREAKING
'Structure saved'
Reuters news agency is quoting an official with the French firefighting team as saying: "We can now say that the structure of Notre-Dame has been saved from total destruction".

:kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 9:46 pm

But the entire roof as well as the spire has gone ... the inside will be so damaged ... and what of the wonderful stained glass?

My thoughts are with the people of France :hug: :cry:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2019, 10:17 pm

Exactly Suffs, whilst huge credit is due to the firefighters to have saved anything, so very much has been lost.

Patypotntz - thank you for the Aldi/obelisk info!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » April 16th, 2019, 12:17 am

suffolk wrote:and what of the wonderful stained glass?

that has been my concern, too. the beautiful rose window must, surely, have perished in the intensity of the heat - a real tragedy if so.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2019, 5:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we were switching channels last night and found the pictures of Notre Dame burning, we continued watching with horror.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 6:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

A beautiful morning here in Norfolk ... but feeling so sad for France :cry:

If there is a silver lining (and I was brought up on Pollyanna so I always look for one) it is that there will be work for skilled artists/craftspeople for many years to come ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 16th, 2019, 6:45 am

Good morning wild ones. What a mess and tragedy in France. So so sad, all the lost artefacts :( :( at least the main structure has been saved and they say they can and will rebuild, it will take years, such a shame, I wonder what started it.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » April 16th, 2019, 7:33 am

it seems that the rose windows are intact, phew, plus many of the artefacts.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 7:34 am

Looks as if it started in the roof where lead was being repaired. ... that needs heat of course ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2019, 7:41 am

Good
The Notre Dame fire is terrible. It seems though that the evacuation plan worked, the entire congregation escaped and the removable treasures were taken out.
Reminded me of The York Minster fire, though that turned out to be much smaller

The Easter warm up has started here. Will go out soon to a talk on Thames archaeology

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 7:51 am

I’m not religious but we have R4 on in the morning and I felt Thought for the Day expressing sympathy for France and hope for resurrection at Easter time was well done.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2019, 8:21 am

We have had one of our small storms here, as I was driving down the hill I could see a distinct wall of cloud and rain coming towards me, very special effects, I got into the supermarket in time but could hear the thunder. There were the inevitable power cuts.

I saw Sky News at 9 00am UK time, they were expressing surprise that the actual stone structure was still standing. Of course it is, the medieval stone masons worked by slotting stones into each other. I think that the picture of the cross standing amidst the smoke and devastation will turn out to be a classic.

Easter Egg dyes have appeared in quantity, two brands in four colours.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2019, 8:24 am

Morning everyone :cry:

What a night to see such a very special place apparently being consumed before our very eyes. Francoise our neighbour, who does n't have a TV came across to watch with us for a while. Notre Dame truly is the heart of Paris because the city started right there on that small island (not on top of a hill as some idiot on R4 said this morning).

We went to bed feeling very upset but Mr R was watching again early this morning when they announced that the stonework had survived as have the 3 rose windows and of course the bells in the towers. Quasimodo still has somewhere to live! Already mhundred of millions of €s have been donated. We thought Macron managed to hit the right last night. He needed to.

What was really moving was once the news spread across the city first the bells of St Sulpice - which is almost opposite across the river started to toll and then one, by one, the other churches took it up.

The firefighters did a brilliant job and really showed how much their history and culture are taught to them. The last time we visited La Ste Chapelle, just after it had been restored , there was a large group of recruits being taken round and taught about the history and importance. So well taught we had to tag along with the group.

It's quite remarkable that in a country which is completely secular that what really takes precidence is the culture with the religious aspect a matter of personal choice. We are not religious either but Francoise very much is but we were all equally distraught as we watched.

Anyway it's raining today whci seems to sum up the mood.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 16th, 2019, 8:42 am

Morning all.

Very sad to see Notre Dame, but glad that the windows and artefacts are safe.

We are off to the caravan for a week, later today. Hope to have a cuppa with Purps sometime over the weekend.

Hope Suffs is well on the mend now x
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 16th, 2019, 8:50 am

The cherry blossom at Alnwick were superb. It was quite busy, but to be expected as it’s the Easter holidays. The sun shone in the morning but it was bitterly cold. Four layers plus hat and gloves!

It’s a two hour drive from us, so quite a long day but worth it. Alnwick is such a pretty market town and an ideal base to discover Northumberland.

The news from Paris is so sad, but as Suffs said it will keep many artists and craftspeople occupied for many years. I know when York Minster had its fire no one could envisage that thirty years later you can’t tell. I often winder if the casual visitor even realises how much was destroyed?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2019, 9:01 am

Ratatouille wrote:What was really moving was once the news spread across the city first the bells of St Sulpice - which is almost opposite across the river started to toll and then one, by one, the other churches took it up.

Splendid, no one told us that

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2019, 9:09 am

It will indeed keep many crafts men and women busy and hopefully will enable many young people to be trained so lots of good come of it as it did in York. Perhaps they'll ask for help and training from such places.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 9:39 am

Drinking :mug: in john Lewis while car had its new boots fitted ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2019, 10:33 am

We have succumbed and ordered some Easter Eggs and other items from Hotel Chocolat :bounce: I have to buy a quantity to justify the carriage cost :rolleyes: Locally available Easter Eggs are not very good.
However the local shops will be selling large trays of eggs next week, the other baking ingredients are already in the shops, I bought flaked almonds on special offer earlier this morning.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2019, 10:37 am

cyprusmoira wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:What was really moving was once the news spread across the city first the bells of St Sulpice - which is almost opposite across the river started to toll and then one, by one, the other churches took it up.

Reading that brought a great lump to my throat and tears to my eyes :cry:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 16th, 2019, 10:38 am

Good morning every,
So sad re Notre Dame but it could have been much, much worse- all credit to all those involved in bringing it under control, keeping people safe and rescuing treasures. :kneel: :kneel:
Grey & wet here today but thankfully not as cold. I have woken up with a muzzy head and the sniffles this morning :( , hopefully they won't come to very much as I have the family home for Easter and we have quite a lot planned. I've a grocery order booked for Thursday and I'm trying to decide what supplies I'll need, I'm not hosting on Sunday though I'm making a fair bit to take along, but I'm expecting a houseful on Friday after we've been to scatter my Dad's ashes. The weather is looking promising so we might have the first bbq of the year.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 16th, 2019, 11:04 am

PatsyMFagan wrote: cyprusmoira wrote:

Ratatouille wrote:
What was really moving was once the news spread across the city first the bells of St Sulpice - which is almost opposite across the river started to toll and then one, by one, the other churches took it up.

Reading that brought a great lump to my throat and tears to my eye

Yes me too... really moving....

What is good to see is how the fire has brought people from all around the world together. So many offers of help and donations. Makes such a positive change from bloody Brexit.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 16th, 2019, 11:48 am

Seatallan wrote: So many offers of help and donations.

Not only offers of money but also expertise, which can be just as vital.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 16th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Hello everyone,

A very solemn mood all around re Paris. I don't usually stay up for the news but I did last night and it left me with a tear in my eye. I have never been to Paris but the images were very sad. As said, a positive note can be added about donations, also wipes Theresa May's face off of our TV for a much needed respite.

A bit grey and dull here but dry, no sun, no rain, mediocre might be a good word. I woke up early and nipped over to the Co-op for taxi money and food for the day. A prawn mayonnaise sandwich and a fresh mango salad. Quite pleased with myself at my bounty I went back to my flat to load my packed lunch bag and pick up my rucksack, went off as usual for my taxi, turned up at work, no packed lunch bag. I have either left it on the windowsill on the landing outside my front door or on the taxi roof, in either case that's gone. I was so looking forward to eating that mango! Luckily a colleague was nipping out so I followed and picked up a tuna mayo baguette to tide me over. Roll on 5pm. It's quiet in here today. The sort of day to do admin.

Enjoy your afternoons folks.
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2019, 5:18 pm

Thought you might like to see this Tweet from art critic Waldemar Januszczak
Allez les pompiers!

Waldemar.png
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 16th, 2019, 6:24 pm

They were utterly brilliant weren@t they Sue. Mr R and i have just been in floods of tears watching Preident Macron on TV. He said it all but we are so tearful because in 1961 we both stood in Notre dame and promised each other we would eventually live in France. I am not at all concerned about applying for citizenship now :luv: :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 6:27 pm

Radio 4 NOW!!!
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2019, 7:23 pm

On work days I miss most of the news so have not been glued - but have seen enough. A very good Tweet Sue, that so much was saved is such a tribute to the firefighters and their training. Rats - I am sure there are so many people for whom the building has such personal significance. I feel that for it to have happened on Easter week has so much significance and new life will rise from the ashes.

A sad day here as DIL's stepfather finally passed away. He was in hospital. I feel a bit like I do about Notre Dame, that new life will rise from sadness for his very active wife who has been nurturing him for several years and especially the past year, giving up most of her social life to devote her time.

Hope you found your lunch bag Tezza!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 16th, 2019, 8:11 pm

EM :hug: Such sad news. :hug: I hope it was a peaceful ending and that his wife has all the support that she needs, bless her.

I found the lunch bag. It was on my dining table. I must have popped it down there whilst watching out of the window for my taxi. :rolleyes:

So a question please about the prawn mayo sandwich within. Will it be okay do you think sitting at cool room temperature for nine hours? I'm erring towards not but it wasn't near a heat source or in sunshine. Hate food waste...

I had my second counselling session this evening for anxiety. A two week diary has surfaced the problems, now for the solutions. Four of them. Eat better than I have been doing! Noise cancellation headphones to shut neighbour out of my head. Has anyone used them? Get out more, new connections. Eradicate negative relationships. Something to work on for the next time!

I am going to give this BBC1 drama a go then bed, so nite nite in advance x
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 16th, 2019, 8:34 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:I think that the picture of the cross standing amidst the smoke and devastation will turn out to be a classic.

Indeed! Very much like the one of our own St. Paul's showing through the smoke during WWII, in defiance at Hitler's bombs.

Hats well and truly off to those firefighters! :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel: :kneel:

As Others have said, it COULD have been much worse. TG it wasn't!

Interesting factoid coming up: York Minster has suffered several fires. One of them was started deliberately by a man named Johnathan Martin. He claimed that he'd interpreted dreams that he'd had as God telling him to destroy the cathedral. He was deemed to be a madman and spent the rest of his life in an asylum. As a result, York Minster is one of the few cathedrals with it's own police force.

:hug:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 16th, 2019, 8:50 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote: Noise cancellation headphones to shut neighbour out of my head. Has anyone used them? Get out more, new connections.

I used to use noise cancelling headphones on long haul flights. I found them quite effective
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 16th, 2019, 9:10 pm

I suffer from anxiety Tezza and find a good diet is really helpful. I think the process of cooking for yourself is therapeutic and a form of self care. This links quite useful or was to me https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/foods-for-anxiety/.

I particularly find drinking lots of water helps and a rainbow of fruit and veg , something I've been neglecting a bit at the moment . I think physical and mental health are totally linked
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 16th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Sad that Notre Dame lost its roof and tower, but my first reaction was that the guy that designed the scaffolding did a good job. It's still largely intact after being roasted. A bit in the middle has burned away, but it hasn't collapsed and caused extra damage.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 9:23 pm

As I’m still getting over a bout of food poisoning, I’m hoping Tezza gave the sarnie a wide berth :scared:

Night night all ...
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 16th, 2019, 10:46 pm

Insomnia has struck...

Thank you Sue re headphones (not cheap but needed and manageable cost wise), Pretty (a very useful link and bedtime reading in a bit!) and suffs - the prawns will swim with the fishes. I can always buy a new one tomorrow or do peanut butter crumpets. Better be safe than sorry. Poor prawnages. :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2019, 5:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, lovely morning unlike yesterday. There was a line of storms along the coast, which caused a lightning strike at the big power station hence the power cuts. I am trying to wear my lighter clothes but so far the weather will not let me.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 17th, 2019, 5:34 am

Morning Moira and all,

Very dull and overcast here. I have an earlier than usual start today. The council are fitting sound recording equipment again in an hour so I at least have to get myself looking a bit less pyjamary! Should be doable. Need to toast some crumpets too plus put my packed lunch bag in a prominent place today so no more waste!

Happy days all :hug:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2019, 5:51 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Are you decent yet Tezza? :shock: :wave:

I bought new pillows in John Lewis yesterday and had a much better night :D Hadn’t realised until the other day that the fairly squishy ones I’ve got used to really weren’t giving my neck/shoulder the support I need ‘cos of my shoulder impingement/tendinitis ... these new ones are med to firm and seem to do the trick. Not so much tossing and turning and I didn’t wake because of pain so a better night was had by all :D Let’s hope it’s not just a one off. :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 17th, 2019, 7:10 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out already. :tu: Today is car change day :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2019, 7:12 am

Morning! It's supposed to warm up today. So far I have had ice on the windscreen and thick fog :rolleyes:.

Interesting about the pillows. I would love perfect pillows, mine are a motley assortment. I said a couple of years ago I would like luxurious feather ones & DS bought me some for Christmas. Sadly they were far from luxurious but I have made do with them. I like hotels where you can choose between firm or soft. I like soft but they are still quite robust and supportive.

Hope your lunch goes well Tezza.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2019, 7:26 am

EM ... go to John Lewis ... they can advise you according to your preferred sleeping position and there’s a wide choice. These were not at all expensive ( £15 each). Feather and down cost more of course but OH has an allergy so we don’t have them.

These sound just as you describe ... soft but firm and supportive ... and with a two year guarantee and washable.
Last edited by suffolk on April 17th, 2019, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » April 17th, 2019, 7:40 am

Pillows: the NH hotel group used to have a link on their website to buy the pillows and mattress toppers! excellent idea. We also stayed in an excellent boutique hotel that was sponsored by a bed company, the breakfast crockery was for sale and all the decorative bits came from local independants with business cards dotted around.

Our quite expensive pillows were very disappointing one week of use and they were so different from the test in the shop, we now replace more reguarly and cheaply from Ikea.

if anyone has the will to be interested in Politics anymore, there are photos of MP's on holiday today. ERG man Sir Bernard Jenkins is pictured not 10 mins walk from one of Guy Verhostadts houses !
Should I inform the BBC :D
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2019, 8:00 am

Good morning
I sleep with one fairly robust feather pillow for support, topped with a lighter down pillow which I’ll probably replace next time JL has a sale
I did give them a bit of rejuvenation by washing them, at the laundrette because you need to use the big tumble dryer to finish

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 17th, 2019, 9:04 am

I managed to get a load of washing and ironing done by 11 00am for the first time this year, the drying was done outside.

There is a note on local social media from someone obviously here for Easter. She is expressing surprise that the villa pool is not heated, where can her son swim in a heated pool? Her son is 11 months old, I would suggest that he would be far happier playing on the beach, I suspect that it is Mum who wants the heated pool. She has been pointed in the direction of the local large hotel, they do day passes.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2019, 9:30 am

Morning everyone :wave:

It is a lovely morning but I have spent most of it sorting out the kitchen next door with things to go to charity, things folk want to buy and things DD and I want to keep. I found quite a number of items which went missing from my kitchen! including Mum's white jug which is always referred to a Granny's custard jug :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hope Tezzza's lunch arrived safely. Is you bag insulted Tezza? Well worth investing in one for the warmer months. You don't want to catch Suff's sort of lurgy.

It is amazing how the mood in France has lifted in 24 hours. m le president is milking it for all he's worth. It has ttaken the spotlight from how he is managing les gilets jaunes.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 17th, 2019, 9:46 am

Good morning everyone,
Yes a pillow or pillows that suit your needs are an absolute must, I have loads on my bed mainly to prop me up while reading but my sleeping pillows are two fairly hard, large feather pillows which I just adore. I'll be sad when they need replacing as they are just perfect for me. :)
NIce and sunny here but I'm full of the cold so not feeling like doing very much. I'll move some plants onto the covered deck and sow some pea & bean seeds but that, apart from some general chores, will be it today. My kids start arriving tomorrow and I want to be in fine fettle for their visit.
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2019, 10:32 am

Prettykiwicrazy wrote:I suffer from anxiety Tezza and find a good diet is really helpful. I think the process of cooking for yourself is therapeutic and a form of self care. This links quite useful or was to me https://www.rd.com/health/wellness/foods-for-anxiety/.

I particularly find drinking lots of water helps and a rainbow of fruit and veg , something I've been neglecting a bit at the moment . I think physical and mental health are totally linked

As some of you may know, I make and drink kefir every day ... this helps to improve the gut biome and one of the unexpected benefits I have since discovered is that the better your gut biome, the less you suffer with depression/low moods. There are also foods high in the stuff that improves mood too ... turkey being one of them. .. something to do with Triptophan :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 17th, 2019, 10:43 am

liketocook wrote:Good morning everyone, Yes a pillow or pillows that suit your needs are an absolute must, I have loads on my bed mainly to prop me up while reading but my sleeping pillows are two fairly hard, large feather pillows which I just adore. I'll be sad when they need replacing as they are just perfect for me.

I have 5 pillows on my bed (well 6 if you include the decorative one that usually resides on the floor ;) :oops: ) …. my sleeping pillow is a memory foam one - probably came with the memory foam mattress topper and which goes everywhere with me (even to Canada last year, Kerala the year before, Cyprus and Spain recently) .. it is quite firm, shaped for the neck and shoulders and I wouldn't be without it. For sitting/lounging in bed I have two firm pillows for my back and 2 softer pillows for under my knees … all but one for between my knees are replaced by the memory foam one for sleep.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop