good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » April 5th, 2019, 8:40 am

good morning, all.
cloudy sunny - or is that sunny cloudy? still a bit chilly but it's meant to warm up a bit in a little while.
i have to go and feed local young's cat this morning so i suppose i'd better go and do it soon before it's no longer morning!
nothing else on the cards although i might as well go and do some shopping while the car is warm.
oh, and i've got to pot up the courgettes that i sowed the other day - and there was i thinking that the old packet may not germinate.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 5th, 2019, 9:26 am

Good morning all :)

Glad to report that innards seem to be fully recovered :D

A quick Wrose dash is scheduled ... then a pie to make for supper ... then a bit of garden pottering and then a visit to Aintree from the vantage point of the sofa ... with knitting :lol:

Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 6th, 2019, 8:52 am

good morning, all.
sun at the moment and no rain predicted until later this evening.
i need to go and see to local young's cat soon. he wasn't there yesterday evening - dirty stop-out. i will avail myself of a cup of coffee while there - and finish off the packet of chocolate hobnobs (if they didn't want them eaten they shouldn't have left them out).
better go.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 7th, 2019, 7:12 am

good morning, all.
overcast and possibly a little damp.
i don't care if it's not brilliant sunshine today, i'm going to be indoors making a raku kiln, to bring home with me, and with a lunch at a pub in between.
on the way i'll be dropping off to feed the cat.
he is not a needy one, unlike ours, both of whom came and kept me company, yesterday, while i was pulling bramble roots and cutting back forsythia that was running amok in a patch in corner of the garden, swamping a couple of dwarf apple trees and sending runners a couple of metres from its original position. i will tackle some box which is doing the same another day. one of the cats decided that a good place to have a sleep was between me and the big pile on which i was throwing the pullings and pruning - idiot boy.
i have asked my partner to shred the piles of stuff i left round the garden, today. they might not get done. he will probably get distracted by something he is more interested in at the moment.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 7th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Dull and damp as predicted to be for many days to come.

I noticed the cherry tree is starting to blossom. I hope we get some sunshine one day at least before it's finished. It looks particularly gorgeous against a blue sky. More tulips coming out. Some Queen of the night, some pinky purple ones and some deep scarlet ones.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 8th, 2019, 7:29 am

Morning as yesterday. Mask of unified grey cloud.

Nothing interesting planned today, which is more than fine by me.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2019, 8:31 am

Good morning all :D

Bright sunshine and birdsong here ... sorry ;)

I've already got a load in the wash and booked the car in for four new tyres :shock: on Friday. Other jobs today include planting my purchases from the garden centre yesterday :oops:

Have a lovely day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2019, 9:40 am

good morning, all.
overcast but bright and dry. we are going for a walk on the beach, later, we haven't been for a while.
the shredding wasn't done yesterday so we'll (maybe) have a go today.
had a good time yesterday but i'm amazed that some people are so reckless with their own health. if you are handling a non soluble ceramic fibre you are daft if you don't wear a mask/respirator.
as soon as some people started doing theirs i, and the woman i was working with, put our masks on, followed by another couple. the woman working with it at the time didn't and when i pointed out that she really should she still didn't. her husband and the other man she was working with kept their masks on. the person running the workshop was also mask-less when cutting some of the fibre - mad! if you've seen people die from pneumoconiosis or other lung diseases you are really careful to protect yourself from any avoidable harm. i will also be spraying more rigidiser on mine before use. we were only told to spray the inside so that the fibres didn't drop on the ware when in use. that is not the reason that i would emphasise. the personal safety aspect is far more important. stopping the kiln shedding fibres that might be breathed in is a necessity if you ask me. the sprayers were also inefficient and didn't give a uniform cover.
i will be doing a bit of adaptation for handling the kiln - adding some handles so it can be moved without disturbing the fibre etc. when i've done all those things i will be having a play.
coffee has been handed to me - bliss.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2019, 9:43 am

scullion wrote:if you've seen people die from pneumoconiosis or other lung diseases you are really careful to protect yourself from any avoidable harm.

Absolutely agree Scully! :tu:
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 9th, 2019, 7:24 am

Dark and dull as a November morning right now, but not as cold perhaps. It's supposed to be sunny with showers right now. Maybe the sun will come later.

Going out to dinner with a friend tonight. Not sure where to go. She lives in the far reaches of Scotland, and the prices always make her balk (although she can afford high end more than I can), so not sure where to go. Was contemplating Dishoom. I know she likes Indian food. The one time I've been it was ok. (That's the other thing. Perhaps over thinking where to take her in the past we have ended up going to a few duds.) Any suggestions? Almost anyone else and I would just suggest the Modern Pantry, but it is quite pricey I suppose. (When I go it usually a small plate at lunch time.)

It's also husband's birthday tomorrow...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 9th, 2019, 7:28 am

good morning, all.
overcast and almost still.
yoga this morning and, possibly, the walk that we didn't get yesterday.
my partner couldn't find his wellies. we think he may have left them upcountry. so, instead, we went shopping for the food etc that we needed - and for a new pair of wellies as we won't be upcountry for a bit.
yoga is going to be a gentle effort as i still ache a bit from the weekend's effort with the brambles and wire mesh.
nothing else planned although a bit of hswk may not go amis (shudder), and i also need to get some brass cleaner and to have a go at removing the lacquer from an old umbrella stand that i bought in a second hand shop yesterday. the top part is ok but the bottom part has a bit of green corrosion and the lacquer has clouded and dulled the metal. i have been looking for one like this (the pattern) for a number of years.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2019, 9:03 am

Good morning
Grey and dull here
Just going to get on with stuff, didn’t get much done yesterday as I was so tired after the weekend

Going for a walk later, someone has set up a little local walking group for exercise, so it will be nice to walk in company and I hope they walk just a little faster than I’ve been doing recently as I want to get my pace back and it’s quite difficult on my own.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2019, 9:06 am

Heading into the city in a bit ... I’ll get foodstuff from the market, a battery for my arch and then meet a friend for lunch ... when I get back I intend to clean the oven ... however, what with the road to hell being paved etc etc etc .... ;)

Good find Scully :tu:

Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 10th, 2019, 7:03 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a promise of sun this afternoon.
i have been asked to stand in for a friend this evening, she's had a trip and face planted into the ground. she thinks the service users might freak at the sight of her. i said that it's a shame it's not halloween. i therefore have a long day today. i won't be home til pushing ten.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2019, 8:53 am

Good morning
Sunny and breezy at the moment, but clouding over in accordance with the weather. Bright again later

Have indoor stuff to do but will try to collect my little parcel, for the exercise.

Last night’s walking group was a problem, I went, I sat on the bench south of the station entrance and waited and never saw anyone. Apparently the leader sat on the seats in front of the cafe about 10m away, I did see one woman sitting there fiddling with her phone but she didn’t seem to be looking out for other people and I didn’t notice anyone meet up with her, though we have messaged and apparently it happened. Next walk on Saturday.

Tonight is Cookbook Club, so I will be making Jane Grigson’s leek pie for a discussion of Pie Fidelity with the author Pete Brown

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 10th, 2019, 9:40 am

Yes nice here. It's always nice on my husband's birthday.

last night's dinner din't quite go according to play. 90 minutes wait at Dishoom. Cavernous Dishoom at Kings Cross on a Tuesday?! So went to equally cavernous Carneval, where there was a mere 45 minutes wait (which we had to do in the restaurant.) But the place was like a nightclub. So noisy I had gone a bit deaf by the time we left :(

And then there was the two hour journey home which ended up involving a £45 taxi. Signalling problems, and train driver knocking off with no replacement and blocking all southbound trains from Blackfriars. Feeling very wound up (as in tightly coiled spring) this morning...

Ah well. Was nice to see friend. Not seen her for a few years.

Scully it took five readings to understand your comment about your friend. I must be tired. Poor friend.

today, just work, and maybe dinner our for Husband, if he can be persuaded.

Leek pie sounds good, Sue.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 10th, 2019, 10:46 am

Oh Herbi... :hug:

Do try to claim back the taxi fare won't you? They do reimburse even if it takes a while.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2019, 11:21 am

We tried to go to Dishoom last summer and when I saw the wait I announced in a very loud voice that there was no restaurant on earth waiting that length of time to be served, especially as there is nowhere to sit and why won't they take reservations!!!! Shouty voice smiley! I was utterly furious with the person who told me that you vcan always get a table, not mentioning the wait.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 10th, 2019, 11:51 am

Seat, I think they won't give me more than about £4. I could have ( and this is how they will be thinking) got on the tube and gone to London Bridge and caught a train to a different station from my nearest/usual one. But (and they won't care about this) it would have taken me a lot longer, and involved a longer walk down ill it streets late at night at the other end. Also by the time I caught my taxi I had been 'travelling' (waiting for delayed train, moving 3 stops and then sitting on train for ages before they told us to get off it) for an hour so I didn't want to do it. I was so lucky to get a taxi. It was pulling up to drop someone off just as I exited the station.

My cats were very pleased to see me when I got home. i think they thought I'd gone away again. I got lots of loving looks :)

Rats, if the acoustics and sound system were anything like Caravan, I doubt that the Kings Cross Dishoom is worth going to (unless you are young and/or like the nightclub vibe and volume.) It's the restaurant equivalent of Ryanair in terms of stress levels an uncertainty :) I went to the Shoreditch one probably not long after it opened some years back and that was fine. I was rather looking forward to the food last night, though. Caravan is fine, and I sometimes go to the one on Exmouth Market for lunch, but it is more of a lunch spot, imo, regarding food style, unless you have pizza (which I didn't). I was hungry when I got home.

It does say on the Dishoom site that you can always get a table, or if there is a wait you can sit at their bar. I imagine the queue was to sit at the bar to wait for a table... I am getting so p**sed off with London. Too too many people.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 10th, 2019, 3:22 pm

scullion wrote: i won't be home til pushing ten.

ok, other than a couple of hours that i'd forgotten about between farm and club.
Herbidacious wrote:Scully it took five readings to understand your comment about your friend. I must be tired. Poor friend.

i probably didn't explain it very well as i was in a rush.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 10th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Seat, I think they won't give me more than about £4. I could have ( and this is how they will be thinking) got on the tube and gone to London Bridge and caught a train to a different station from my nearest/usual one. But (and they won't care about this) it would have taken me a lot longer, and involved a longer walk down ill it streets late at night at the other end. Also by the time I caught my taxi I had been 'travelling' (waiting for delayed train, moving 3 stops and then sitting on train for ages before they told us to get off it) for an hour so I didn't want to do it. I was so lucky to get a taxi. It was pulling up to drop someone off just as I exited the station

Might be worth a shot anyway.... they can only refuse... and in view of the circs (different stations at both ends and a lengthy walk on a badly lit street) I think it's arguable that the alternative wasn't a viable one... glad you made it home safely anyway. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 11th, 2019, 7:21 am

Thanks Seat.

Well a little birhgter this morning. Was woken up by a very peresistant Basil at 7 so gave in in the end and got up. I have potted on 10 plug plants that arrived yesterday, fed the birds and photgraphed more blubs that are coming out.
Also nptced that some seeds are coming up in the propogator: two types of courgette, tomatoes, and some of the chillis :)

Lunch out at the Modern Pantry today. I am eating out a lot this week. Had some really nice food at a local restaurant in Herne Hill for Husband's birthday last night.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 11th, 2019, 11:12 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment.
nothing planned but lots to do. potting on, sewing, hswk (spit) etc.
late starting as i didn't get in til almost ten last night (but i have been looking at glaze recipes for a couple of hours - a good 'waste' of time).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 12th, 2019, 9:09 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of cloud at the moment.
got a little more sewing done yesterday.
more things to pot up every day, it seems. i really should start doing that although i'm going to run out of places to put things. i may have to move stuff around in the green house (which has been storing moulds and other stuff for a few years) and actually put some plants in.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 13th, 2019, 9:09 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment and a little breezy from the south east.
coffee mostly drunk. my partner is off to the local 'makerspace' to use the laser cutter - he's going to be late.
i think it may be a cat worming day, today.
it's also a news avoiding day until the qually highlights are on.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 13th, 2019, 9:22 am

The sun is just coming out now. I have been up since 7.30 but still not up, up. I must go and have a shower and get dressed.

I have the rest of the day to myself. Not sure what to do with it. Very very tired in spite of early night.
I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2019, 1:54 pm

I’m sure I wrote posts to this thread that aren’t here, must have forgotten to submit

Anyway, we have been alternating warm sun with cool cloudy bits and the occasional cold hail flurry all day.

Went for a walk with new walking group. I had failed to notice this was a longer than usual walk so not quite prepared but we did over 8k through the wetlands, stopping for one of the volunteers to show us a peregrine falcon sitting preening on a nearby office block, could see him really well through their telescope
Need to keep this up, this will help me increase my walking speed

Will be stiff after this on top of yesterday’s walk

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 14th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Good aftermorning, all.
Damp, windy and cold.
Was it just for me or was the site down earlier?
Having a doing nothing day - until the f1 is on, then I will be doing nothing again - insolence rules!
Have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 14th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Good aftermorning Scully :wave:
Yes the site was down ... and now we seem to be the ‘ new improved’ version :shock:
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » April 14th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Herbidacious wrote: I have been up since 7.30 but still not up, up.

Or, in the words of butlers in period dramas,

"Sir is Up but not yet Down". 'Madam' or 'Her Ladyship' in your case I suppose.

No idea if any of it is true.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 7:20 am

I don't know. I was down in the snese of being in the sitting room...

Looks nice out today. Still chilly though, I think, but weekend looks very promising. I enjoyed my sewing class yesterday (very basic intro to using a machine.) I'd like to follow it up. Made the prerequisite, not terrible useful cloth drawstring bag. My ambitions, such as they are, are to be able to take things up and to make a simple A-line skirt...

The lesson was in Beckenham Place Park which has clearly received a big grant. It's an ill-proportioned (design wise) grand house that belonged to the Cator Family who owned much of Beckenham and some of Sydenham (all the roads near me are named after Cator family members or places they owned outside London) and Bromley.

Nothing planned today other than the W thing.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.
Last edited by Herbidacious on April 15th, 2019, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2019, 9:39 am

good morning, all.
cold, windy and the promise of rain. thank heavens the forecast is for warmer, sunnier weather from tomorrow - or is that jam‽
the first load of the sewing, i think, has been done. there may be some more before the next load but i have some embroidery to design for it, too, and to decide where it's going to fit in.
i'm going to light the stove now - the temperature is way too low to function - plus my partner has had to wizz off before coffee so that will be done first.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 15th, 2019, 9:59 am

Herbidacious wrote: I enjoyued my sewing class yesterday (very basic intro to using a machine.)

do you have a machine? if not, choose carefully.
i find it essential to have a machine that you're happy with. i traded in my cub3, bought when i was in my teens, for a more substantial machine when my kids were small and hated it. it stopped me sewing for years (i referred to it as 'the b@st@rd') until i replaced it with another cub3 (from eBay) and also a bernina830 (old style, also from eBay) when the young had gone to uni. i am back to a happy place and every time i use the bernina i am amazed at how good it is to use. they may be old machines but they were both in near new condition when bought (i chose carefully). the bernina is still considered the rolls royce of sewing machines. the cub3 is a much lighter, portable machine but still sturdy enough for everything (except thicker leather).
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2019, 10:04 am

Good morning
Sunny here but not very warm
Really overslept so will get on with paper work before walking to backgammon

But first, more coffee. And a bit of ironing so I can clear the board away

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 10:13 am

I do have a machine. I took it to the class with me. Not as swanky as their digital ones, but will suit my purposes. Although I do wish I had the new stitch for sewing stretchy fabrics that modern machines have.

My mum has a Bernina. When she bought it, a training class was included in the price. (1980s.)

Mine's a Janome. I bought it about 14 years ago, and used it once or twice, before getting fed up with the constant tangling of thread (I am hoping this is because I wasn't threading it properly.) Other than that, I occasionally (and not very successfully) had a go on my mother's machines when I was a teenager. i.e. In effect, I really have nothing to compare to my machine to know if it suits me or not. I think, on balance, I had better just get used to it! The only down sides to it seem to be the awkward bottom spool threading and the lack of variable speed control (other than with your foot.) But then all I have done so far is make a draw string bag :)

I am very glad I took my machine with me to the class.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2019, 10:25 am

I must get my old sewing machine out of the attic and see if I can use it, not being able to see the thread may be a problem, can’t sew everything white on black
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 15th, 2019, 10:29 am

I have an old black non-electronic Singer. If only I could find the key to it's box...

Do you need to see the thread clearly? As long as you guide the material through...? But I imagine this would not be very satisfactory.

Threading the needle will be a problem though unless you have a self threading one.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2019, 10:42 am

Yes, I definitely need to see the thread at some point in making a garment! If only to tidy away the loose ends.
Not sure if I can even thread the needle, I use a threader of course but locating the eye of the needle is a problem, even finding pins and needles. And I don’t think I’ll be able to see the guide marks for straight lines well enough for them to help me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 15th, 2019, 12:03 pm

This may, or may not, be of help Sue

https://needleartswithvisionloss.wordpr ... -machines/
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm

I bought an Elna Lotus when I was in Hong Kong in the early 70s. I loved it - small and easily portable. It was called a Lotus because the back, front and side extensions closed up to enclose the arm completely. I loved it and made lots of stuff with it. I regret ever lending it to a friend of my daughter's as it came back having been left standing somewhere very damp, meaning that there is now quite a bit of corrosion … One of the most useful things it did was a stitch for the crutch seam of trousers … allowing for some stretch, movement and being very strong.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 15th, 2019, 10:40 pm

I bought an Elna Supermatic in the early 70's - it was second hand then!! and is now 'vintage'!!
It was very advanced for it's time and I've still got it and it goes well. It does lots of stretch stitches and you could add stitches by buying new 'cams' to fit in it - so it kept up to date
as new stitches were invented.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby scullion » April 16th, 2019, 7:51 am

good morning, all.
brighter and a bit warmer with better weather forecast.
good machines, elna. a friend at school was bought a lotus at the same time i bought my cub3. from what i remember they were one of the best (like berninas) for free hand embroidery (although the master, annemieka mien uses/used a husqvarna.
yoga followed by shopping today and if i remember, i need to pot on a pinus pinae that's out in the garden and that i noticed is need of a bigger/deeper pot.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 16th, 2019, 9:49 am

I’m in john Lewis drinking coffee waiting to hear that the car has its new tyres.

I had a lovely treadle Singer years ago but couldn’t get it repaired back in the 60s so at 16 I used all my savings and bought a Singer electric which was fine but eventually it got dropped (the ex :rolleyes: ) and a major part inside was bent and irreparable ... it was replaced with a Frister Rossman ... it must be 35 years old and still going strong.

Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

Sewing machines appear to be long lived pieces of equipment. I wonder if modern machines will last as well?
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 16th, 2019, 11:26 am

I still use the hand sewing machine which my grandmother had when she was married in 1918. It has served us well. I have often thought it would be fun to have a modern electric one which did zig zag stitch and embroidery. I used an electric one once at school and the result was a bit like hitting the accelerator too hard in a car - terrifying :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2019, 11:57 am

I have always used the foot pedal using bare feet …. at least the one operating the pedal ;) :lol: :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 16th, 2019, 12:27 pm

My mother's father had a small linen ware workshop. My mother aid the industrial machines 'his ladies' used terrified her.

I now need some good sewing scissors and sheers...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I now need some good sewing scissors and sheers...

The little snips that you use with one hand are good - like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/U-Shaped-Sewin ... way&sr=8-7

Also an unpicker … very useful I have found ;) - like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ripper-Rippers ... pons&psc=1

Hobby craft should have what you want. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 16th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Thanks, Pat!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 16th, 2019, 1:17 pm

I may have a spare tape measure and pins …. will look when I'm home ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop