[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4758: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4759: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4760: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
Wildfood.info • View topic - CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: CHATTERBOX LXXXVII Xander

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Both number 1 son and number 1 son-in-law get a Fortnum’s hamper every Christmas from work. I’m imagining it will be the cheapest. The kids like playing in the hampers though! :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 9th, 2019, 3:44 pm

miss mouse
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:38 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 4:43 pm

My OH suffered a TIA the last time he did that Scully.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:44 pm

i looked at fortnum's hampers a few weeks back (i think one was a prize in a competition i saw) - i think i could afford the one that came in a cardboard box - i'm not sure but it might have been a takeaway sandwich.
if someone gave one to me i'd have to find a home for a lot of the contents - but i'd be happy to keep the basket.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 4:46 pm

he may have had one anyway, don't blame the post! (is that the same as don't shoot the messenger‽‽).
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 9th, 2019, 4:49 pm

:D
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2019, 4:51 pm

I think quite a lot of peopel get hampers from work, so they know it's coming and don't duplicate the foods.

Though it could be reminiscent of a long ago pre-freezer Christmas when Mum won a goose in a raffle and dad won a turkey in another raffle and we'd already ordered all the food- don't actually know what happened to all the meat I think one ended up as the Boxing Day buffet for an event,
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 9th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Think the basic problem with the fence is the mass of huge tree roots in that area ... when the fence was put up the builders really struggled to dig holes in the right places ... it’s a battle planting anything at that end ... the problem was made worse when the neighbour demolished his shed which had been sheltering that end of the fence from the prevailing north-easterlies.
We’ve got a recommended chap coming round at the weekend. I think a fence with gaps might be called for so it filters the wind rather than presents a solid barrier. But first we’ll need to rescue some clematis
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 9th, 2019, 5:41 pm

We had a similar problem with our fence at old house Suffs. We did try the postcrete thing but it didn't last long. Fence was actually responsibility of next door so we did a botch on it and left it to their landlord to deal with at his leisure. He was supposed to be sorting it out shortly after we moved but I have no idea if he did or not.

Poor you- sorry you're feeling so rough.... :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2019, 6:13 pm

scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 10th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, looking at the clouds we have more rain to come. I hope that I can get my washing dry.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 7:36 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Still coughing and sneezing here but did get some sleep.
Hope everyone else is well and rested ...
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 10th, 2019, 8:21 am

Good morning wild ones. Suffs I hope your better soon :hug: The weather is a bit calmer this morning, but the weather report says we are in for a wind and rain battering again later. At least the water is back on so I could have a shower this morning. I am going to do the last bit of shopping for Christmas this morning before the rush, all I will need to buy then will be fresh veg, milk and cream and bread :hi5:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 8:45 am

Morning all! :wave:. Gosh, you're well prepared icey! I'll be battling with everyone else on Christmas Eve at this rate - I forgot to book a supermarket home delivery early enough. I quite like the bustle when I have time but not the traffic.

Sounds as though you may have turned a corner with the lurgy Suffs. It's a shame that coughs hang around for so long after you feel better otherwise. So sorry to read about your fence and shed, what a bind.

A few things to do this morning as I've a busy few days coming up. It's the day I meet GD from school but today we're going to their nativity first. I shall go armed with tissues. They seem to have pre recorded music these days, it was the poignancy of the piano starting up in former days which always made me melt :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Don't think many primary teachers are pianists nowadays EM ... back in the day of my tiny village school it seemed to be a priority qualification for school teachers. Our Mrs Blyth the headmistress (and for most of the time our only teacher) was a passable pianist, having been taught by the chap who wrote the hymn 'Hills of the North Rejoice' which we would sing with great gusto (in its rather patronising colonial original version) at this time of year. However, when the total pupil roll increased to over 20 we had another teacher (Mrs Barnes) one or two days a week, and she could do all sorts of complicated accompaniment without it being written in the music ... I loved the days that she took us for singing. Then the pupil roll fell to 13 and the school closed ... just one term before I went on to grammar school :( We had to go to the school in the next village and they hated us ... :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 9:24 am

That's sad. Our head at primary school proudly boasted LRAM (hons) after her name and would include playing the piano in any activity she possibly could, we sang a lot. At the next school a good many teachers could play. I am grateful now and feel sad it is no longer the case, it brought a lot of memorable joy even though we might not have realised at the time.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 10th, 2019, 10:03 am

The senior school that my eldest niece attended, she has her own children now, had a school orchestra, they played at school assemblies.

Back from shopping, not only the supermarket but the little branch of IKEA, basically it is there to take and collect orders but sells oddments, including Christmas decorations. I had hoped to buy an angel for the choir, there were none so I bought a tiny plastic Christmas tree instead. IKEA do have a coffee shop opposite but alas no meatballs. All this is in a mall that has reopened after major refurbishment, not just fashion but useful enterprises such as a key cutting and shoe repair booth, I hope that the dry cleaners reappears too.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 10:08 am

Instead of doing things that need doing I am watching last night's BBC4 programme 'Lucy Worsley's Christmas Carol Odyssey' (excellent if you didn't see and like that kind of thing). They were looking at the original words to 'On the First Day of Christmas' and both LW and the lady from the British Library expressed surprise that it was originally 'Four Colley birds' as they had ever only known 'Calling' birds. I have always known it as 'Colley' birds, I am probably at least 15 years older than the ladies on the programme. I wonder if it's an age thing and whether perhaps American influences came in. What are the words that you are familiar with?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 10:20 am

Having sung in several choirs I've come across it as both ... I've always assumed that colley birds was the original ... not sure why ... I'll have to have a look at that programme ... I'm coughing and sneezing on the sofa so I'm excused a bit of daytime telly aren't I? :lol:

Found it!
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » December 10th, 2019, 10:36 am

liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » December 10th, 2019, 10:44 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Another gorgeous but distinctly chilly day. The fire has just been lit and Jules has found himself the perfect place in a patch of sunlight but in front of the fireplace.

I too have also always known the birds in the 12 days as colly birds and seem to remember that it is an old name for blackbirds as in the 4 and 20 in the pie!

When I went to Froebel you had to be able to play at least one musical instrument and we has lectures for all tree years on teaching music. My first post out of college was in charge of music in a primary school and once a week I had to take hymn pratice for the whole school every Friday for an hour. I learned to play the piano standing up kind of sharpish!!! I lso used to be a bit subversive and stick some silly songs among the hymns. The head, who was a lovely woman, used to come in and say how nice it was to see the children enjoying their hymns!
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 11:04 am

It's a shame that hymns can no longer be sung as they used to be outside of church with our multi cultural society, yet there isn't much to replace them. They are such a good way to get people singing communally and to be able to join in throughout life.

I liked the programme Suffs. Now to catch up with some chores!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2019, 11:22 am

When I lived in a village we sang folk songs in the pub
and at Christmas there was lots of carolling, both organised and impromptu. I miss that.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » December 10th, 2019, 11:38 am

Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 10th, 2019, 11:42 am

Re pianists in schools. I am 66 and started the piano at 14. I managed Grade 6 but I was, and still am, a very nervous performer. My younger sister at 7 started when I did and went on to Guildhall as a first study pianist and bassoonist. I can busk in the manner of Status Quo (3 chords) some things but Christmas music? No. When I started teaching in 1974 there was usually at least one pianist teacher/music specilaist in each primary school. 20 years later you were lucky if you could find more than a handful in the entire borough. 10 years on from that and most music teachers in the high schools weren't pianists either. There are lots of reasons for this. (Am I boring you, sorry)? :oops:

1. Piano lessons for children were/are expensive and therefore the preserve of the well off. Not many authorities offer them but they do offer electronic keyboard which is much cheaper to organise/teach etc. (You can have a whole class learning the keyboard, 2 per instrument - you can't have 30 children sat round one piano).

2. Children from the eighties onwards (i.e. those are now teaching) have so many more things offered to them in education, music, sport, out of school activities etc. So more choice, more demands on their time and, quite frankly, often not so much hard work and concentration involved. And the keyboard is cool.

3. The improvements in technology mean that you can access much more prepared music easily, although I've seen some absolutely terrible stuff done by non music specialists who think music is easy.

4. I'll stop right there . . . . .
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 11:54 am

Absolutely PP. One has to remember that when you are our age, our grandparents and even our parents in their early lives didn't have radio or gramophone. It was almost compulsory for at least one member of the family regardless of class to learn to play well enough to entertain or accompany sing songs and perhaps play in Sunday School etc. and that didn't stop immediately. We were lucky to reap the legacy of that in our daily lives. MIL was the pianist in their family (even the most serious pieces or hymns with a Scott Joplin style background :lol: ), she remembered walking home from her grandparents late on Christmas Day as a child (circa 1920) and through every window seeing families singing round the piano. TV, although a wonderful invention, killed a lot of good things.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 1:30 pm

StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 10th, 2019, 2:18 pm

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 10th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Good Evening wild ones. Wow have we had a storm this afternoon, horizontal rain and very windy. Everywhere is soaking wet. Its moving East so batten down the hatches on the East coast areas.
Shopping done I managed to buy £177 worth of stuff and pay £15 at the till with all the vouchers I saved :tu: :hi5: All I need to buy now is fresh veg, fruit, bread milk and cream. :D I have also brought the Christmas tree and decs down from the loft, just not got the urge to put them up yet :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 10th, 2019, 7:38 pm

It's a foul night here too. Lots of wind and rain.

The nativity was lovely, lots of singing but not traditional songs/carols. To my joy they had roped someone in to play the piano. Carols as we waited and then the accompaniment to the singing.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Catherine » December 10th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Good evening
We have had a bit of rain and wind all day then the full force hit about 10 minutes ago. Yikes.

Settling in for an ipp quiet evening, everything is clean and tidy, but of course it won’t last

Have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2019, 8:48 pm

Good evening
We have had a bit of rain and wind all day then the full force hit about 10 minutes ago. Yikes.

Settling in for an ipp quiet evening, everything is clean and tidy, but of course it won’t last

Have a good night everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » December 10th, 2019, 9:13 pm

It’s shocking here. Even Josh’s football has been cancelled and that never happens.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 11th, 2019, 6:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, the weather sounds terrible, it is just grey here.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 11th, 2019, 7:47 am

Good morning wild ones. I hope you survived the storm, it was horrific here. Now it's calm with light drizzle. Ironing mountain to clear this morning, then I might do the Chrissie Dec's and tree....that's a maybe not definite ;)
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

Morning all! :wave:. I haven't looked outside yet but can imagine what it's like :rolleyes:.

Off for coffee with a friend this morning then shopping and home in time to help DS fix something for me. I am in bed with the electric blanket making it toasty (because I'm too stingy to put the heating on if I'm going out). Sadly, I need to move the car in the next 15 minutes, people who think they'd like residents parking should be careful what they wish for :lol:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 11th, 2019, 8:19 am

Good morning
The weather has passed by for the moment, we have sun which is threatened to last until mid-afternoon. It wasn’t even a red sky at sunrise

Trying to decide what to do, needs to include some ironing but might try and get some Christmas shopping and a walk while the weather is nice.

A friend wants any items of plain white tableware, for serving. Nobody seems to sell it any more. “Dinner sets” come with no serveware at all, and if you search the manufacturers don’t even make matching meat platters, gravy boats etc. You can get from Nisbets - but only by the dozen! Do people just dump the turkey and gravy in the centre of the table? Even if you platte up in the kitchen you still need some plates and containers. :?

Breakfast next, have a good day everyone
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » December 11th, 2019, 8:31 am

I get white tableware in Sainsburys these days, they usually have quite a decent selection which on a nicely laid table looks quite acceptable. I bought a nice meat plate last year, plain but a nice shape. Saw a lovely design in John Lewis the other day, IKEA might. Obviously depends on the standard you want!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 8:41 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

EM we have white porcelain serving dishes etc ... they’re the James Martin range at Denby - some of it here but we’ve got several different shapes https://www.denbypottery.com/seasonal-s ... /145014225

Also OH says that ProCook have some white oven to table ware, if that’s of any help.

Still coughing and sneezing and being thoroughly yuk. This is getting a bit tedious. It’s a week since it started with being a bit chesty so I didn’t go to tennis ... and I’ve just texted to say I won’t be at tennis today either :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 11th, 2019, 9:19 am

StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » December 11th, 2019, 9:23 am

M and S have a plain white range, or certainly did have about a year ago. I would suggest TKMaxx or if you have a designer outlet type place the Denby or ProCook shop there.

BB

Just checked it’s called Maxim and has gravy boat, platters and some serving bowls. All shown separately in different places on the website
Busybee
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 11th, 2019, 9:36 am

We have been out for breakfast, it was already arranged that we should go out but it is such a miserable morning here that it proved a blessing. Heavy rain since I posted earlier, the car has parking sensors, they do not like driving through heavy rain, they screamed at us whilst driving across the fly overs at the back of Limassol. Of course we have not had any heavy rain since we bought the car last July.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » December 11th, 2019, 10:23 am

Your car has a fault! Parking sensors should only switch on when reverse gear is engaged! :o

I'm out for a pub lunch today with a friend. It will be the first time we have done this since he had a stroke.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Seatallan » December 11th, 2019, 10:24 am

Poor you Suffs. Mr S and I both had something similar just after Christmas and it took weeks to properly go. I can remember I was still coughing first thing when we ran the half-marathon in March. I do hope yours doesn't drag on for much longer. :hug:

Sue, do you happen to have a Homesense anywhere near? I second the IKEA suggestion too- they deffo have white gravy boats and serving dishes. I've also had results at Dunelm in the past.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 10:28 am

Have you checked out John Lewis' selection ?

https://www.johnlewis.com/browse/home-g ... 21Z1z141c2
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » December 11th, 2019, 10:36 am

Stock query.

I save and freeze chicken carcases until there are enough to make stock, now I have two duck leg bones, can they go in with the chicken bones or is that a complete "No'?"

Thanks.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2019, 10:36 am

I am so lucky ... yesterday, after a day at work OH cycled to the shops and instead of getting the fish cakes and oven chips I was expecting he cooked me a surprise supper of a dish of poached ray with a sauce vierge and spinach that we’d just watched Rick Stein cook on the tv. What a star! :luv: He'd remembered the recipe and reproduced it perfectly.
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » December 11th, 2019, 10:39 am

cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop