good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2017, 9:52 am

Good morning
Must get on today, my cold caught up with me yesterday, so I did more reading than anything else
One thing I will say for Alexa, the voice recognition is fantastic, she has a much higher strike rate than humans in call centres, shame she does very little that's worth doing, she will add items to the shopping and To Do lists but it seems you can't add lists or subdivide them. What I want to use her for is to turn on audio apps when I can't easily read the screen, but as her skill (sic) is to switch on TuneIn she won't use the iPlayer app set up with my preferences and favourites. :evil:

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 1st, 2017, 10:12 am

I'm thinking of renaming Alexa 'hal' .she keeps saying the equivalent of - 'I can't let you do that, dave' at the moment.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 1st, 2017, 11:10 am

Good after morning all :D ........ I've been virtuous in the kitchen and OH has been virtuous with the watering can and tomato feed ... we're both feeling very pleased with ourselves.
Apparently DS will be involved with the sound for the World Championship Athletics this weekend. As a former schoolboy 100 metre runner he is hopeful (although doubtful) that he may get the chance to gaze in awe at Usain Bolt ........... I offered to go along and hold his microphone 8-) ........ apparently my presence is not needed :rolleyes:
Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » August 3rd, 2017, 8:57 am

Good morning! Very windy today - feeling a bit worried about my neighbour's huge ash tree. Half of it came down in 1987 (when the previous neighbours had the place). And I reckon it's double the size it was then. She has been making noises about getting it cut down so I hope that happens sooner rather than later!
Have a good day everyone.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 3rd, 2017, 9:06 am

Good morning
Good to get a tree surgeon to any ash to check for signs of Ash Die Back, the Tree Musketeer says it's becoming a big deal in London :(

Sunny at the moment, due to rain just as I go out :evil: looks,as if it might too :(

Was very windy last night, quite enjoyed walking in it, not cold but reminiscent of the seaside

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 3rd, 2017, 10:51 am

Good morning all :D
Get the tree checked ... not just for Ash Die Back, but if a large branch came down in the past, it's likely that rain is getting into the trunk and causing internal rotting.
Sunshine and showers here, plus a gusty wind. I've been playing in the garden, cutting back stuff and deadheading, and have picked a load of raspberries and runner beans ... some for the freezer and some for supper ... I suppose I'd better prep the beans then :rolleyes: when I've finished this :mug:
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » August 3rd, 2017, 11:46 am

Thanks for the tips on Ash Die Back - I will mention that possibility to her. I'm sure a good tree surgeon would be looking out for that!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 3rd, 2017, 3:32 pm

Yes, if she gets a good tree surgeon they will do a full health check all issues, but she might not know that s/he needs to come while the leaves are green to check for die back, which can make trees unsafe and finally kill them

It did rain and blow while I was out, and only then, quite muggy now
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2017, 6:23 am

A lovely morning out there at the moment, although it's not meant to last, showers later. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Where is this High Summer, down in the Med by the look of it..... Mind you 45 is too hot for me !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2017, 9:29 am

Good morning
Sun already fading, thunder threatened, better get to the farmer's market PDQ
Have a good day e
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 7th, 2017, 10:36 am

Good morning, all.
Weather - mixed.
Isn't it nice to sleep in a bed rather than on a sleeping mat, on a slope, in a field. The slope was the bad bit, the others were ok-ish - if it hadn't rained, thundered, and for my partner, hadn't had the discordant singer/guitarist at three in the morning. I had earplugs.
My partner now has the job of emptying the car (I'm unable to help) so that I can zip in to the city to pick up my macbook with new screen and central processor (I think that's what they replaced - good old EU law) and do a bit of shopping.
Have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2017, 11:21 am

Welcome back scully!
Not camping weather here either, but will be out and about
Have a goid afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 7:32 am

Good morning
Definitely not a camping day today, grey and grim at the moment, deluge later which is unfortunate as I'm going to visit the new annexe at the Tate Modern, with the intention of walking across the Millennium bridge en route
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » August 8th, 2017, 7:56 am

Morning all. Damp and gloomy here. I too am off to see some art. Second attempt to see the Summer Exhibition, followed by a belated birthday lunch at Cafe Murano.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » August 8th, 2017, 8:33 am

Good morning, all.
Brightly overcast and probably a bit damp but I'm still in bed with a cup of coffee so I couldn't be certain.
We slummed it yesterday, didn't go in to town and so didn't pick up my macbook or do shopping. Hopefully that'll happen today.
If my father had still been alive he would have been a hundred today. Seems impossible to consider, seeing that I'm only 21! (17 in my head). What a century of change to have lived through (if he had).
I picked a tomato from the garden, yesterday, in the hope it'll ripen properly indoors before the slugs get their little rasps on it.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 8th, 2017, 9:08 am

Good Morning, it has finally stopped raining :bounce:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Well, it hasn't really rained and in fact was sunny off and on while I was on south bank
Unfortunately we were evacuated from the Tate as a fire alarm went off! Great new spa es though
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » August 8th, 2017, 3:25 pm

Had I known Sue I'd have kept an eye out for you. Catherine and I walked over Millenium Bridge and on through Southbank today after having oysters at Borough Market.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2017, 9:10 am

Good morning, all.
Bright with hints of sun.
Today, we are actually going to make it into the city!
Yesterday, my partner drove into the lane and received a puncture so quickly drove back into the drive. The spare was put on last night and a tyre apt has been made - so that will be done while I, finally, pick up my Mac.
Then shopping will be done and we'll try to have a better day than yesterday.
Have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2017, 9:28 am

Good morning
We had more sun yesterday than expected but it has obviously poured all night, and continues

Feel really sorry for any parent or summer camp organiser
Have a good day, hope the Mac is resplendent

PS it's tipping it down here
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 9th, 2017, 11:08 am

Hobbycraft had a queue of parents and grandparents buying posterpaints, brushes, glue, sugar paper etc ... indoor play today.

I may well have to put boots on to go outside and pick some chard for supper .......... and then, apart from a little light dusting and buffing, the day will be spent doing satisfying things like drawing, writing, knitting ...indoor play for me too :D

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » August 10th, 2017, 9:18 am

good morning, all.
slightly overcast with added sun at the moment.
it brightened up much more yesterday afternoon and seems that the west of the country missed all of the heavy rain that the eastern side had yesterday - fine by me! it seems zosherooney is going to have decent weather for the minack.
the mac is back! new bits, new operating system and I'm finding my way round it before i reload all my stuff with time machine. it's all pristine, like having a brand new machine. i was up until quite late last night trying to find where to change the user name and password put on by the repairer and then re-synchronising all the shared calendars etc. there are a couple of things i miss from the old operating system but i'm sure i'll get used to sierra (in time for the next update!)
it's so nice typing on a proper sized keyboard again - the fire was ok but this is just so much easier.
have a lovely day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2017, 11:48 am

Good after morning
Had an eye treatment yesterday and managed to sleep through the medication hangover this morning :tu:
It rained and rained and rained yesterday... but we have a weak sun edging in now
Glad that the Mac is rejuvenated
Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2017, 7:55 am

Glad you're fully functioning again Scully :D
Looking at the forecast for our holiday at the beginning of Sept, we find the Met Office says
"UK Outlook for Friday 25 Aug 2017 to Friday 8 Sep 2017:
Through the latter part of August and into early September, we are most likely to see a northwest/southeast split in the weather, although confidence in this is low. This will bring changeable conditions across the northwest, with spells of rain and strong winds at times, whilst the south and east will be drier and settled more often. As a result, temperatures may often be warmer in the south with a low chance of temporary warm and thundery conditions for some southeastern areas. In contrast, temperatures will remain close to normal or perhaps a little below across the north."

Does that mean sunshine in the Southwest??? :bounce: 8-)

Have a good day everyone ........ :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2017, 8:49 am

Good morning
We have sun :bounce:
Will get out into it pronto, need to do some food shopping as a friend is coming for the weekend not sure what I want to cook tomorrow
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 11th, 2017, 8:54 am

good morning, all.
overcast with a promise of rain.
we are heading upcountry for a wedding. we had decided to camp at the venue - and then we looked at the reviews. we are now going to stay at the upcountry young's (they are honeymooning in warmer climes), drive to and fro from there, sleep comfortably in a bed and have decent bathroom facilities - unlike those reviewed at the campsite where they sound positively abysmal.
i think it's already raining.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » August 11th, 2017, 9:18 am

Morning all! Quite sunny and pleasant this morning. Just back from a short break in Chester - what a super town! Loads to see, many quirky little shops and pubs to enjoy. We were reasonably lucky with the weather too. For once is poured in London while it was dry up in the North West. Lots of washing to catch up with now...
Have a good day.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Amber » August 11th, 2017, 8:27 pm

suffolk wrote: This will bring changeable conditions across the northwest, with spells of rain and strong winds at times, whilst the south and east will be drier and settled more often.

Guess who is going to be in the northwest?? :(
Amber
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 13th, 2017, 9:28 am

Good morning :wave:

Goodness, was no-one about yesterday ;) I know I wasn't ... I was at the West Dean Chilli Festival 8-)

I do feel slightly better this morning than I did when I got home last night :oops: I think the G&T followed by a Margarita, then topped off with a half pint of delicious cider took it's toll, although I did my best to wear off the alcohol by doing the Salsa class and stayed dancing for an hour afterwards .. :oops:

A quiet morning until I have to go out to collect a couple of elderly ladies and take them for afternoon tea, so not too taxing and I am sure the cake and sandwiches will make me feel better :plink:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 13th, 2017, 11:34 am

good morning, all.
we are having a long lie in after getting back late last night.
we went up to the wedding on friday afternoon. after long delays and a seven hour journey that should have only taken five we discovered a key fiasco when nearly there (always check you have the key). we stopped at the next pub we passed and got b and b.
we then had an hour's drive to the venue.
we weren't overly impressed with it all, to be honest, and decided that we'd leave early and just come home. it all seemed rather disjointed and personalised in an impersonal way, if you see what i mean. i have googled and it looks like it was a marginally personalised package of far more expense than i could have imagined. we left a bit before eight - before cake - yes, astonishing isn't it!
i have never seen so many inappropriate dress choices on young people in one place before or dyed hair and non matching skin on older women either.
we got home just after one (including a coffee stop at gordano and a fuel stop when back in cornwall) - no traffic and a quicker journey than usual. that is obviously the time to travel on a saturday in the season!
the trouble is i think it was always going to be a bit hard to compare favourably with our daughters wedding, which was completely planned, styled and organised by themselves.
ok, they would have spent more time on the planning and organising (even though they work far longer hours) but they spent out far, far less for what came across as a very slick, elegant and expensive day. this was not just our view but that of very close relatives who were at both.
if they didn't have such well paid professions our young should really step into the wedding planning arena.
we are glad to be home after such a flying visit that the cats haven't even realised we were gone.
have a glorious day, everyone.

ps. i saw one meteor as we neared home, maybe i'll look out tonight.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 13th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Good evening
Oh dear scully! Keys :(
Been a lovely day here but mostly indoors with visiting chum
Pat, I've always meant to go to West Dean Festival, only 16 miles from where my parents lived, but somehow I've never got around to it
Currently alternating chilling and washing up while waiting for decent athletics (i.e. not road walking) to resume
Have a good evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 13th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Weddings are good for people watching. I shall be relying on this and making mental writing notes in September to get me through two family weddings on consecutive weekends that straddle, and thereby prevent me going away for, my 50th! (Not bitter... any more ;) Especially as husband not being here also prevents this now anyway. And dwindling annual leave :( )

Ooh Patsy, I haven't been to the West Dean chilli festival for ages.

I have spent today doing lots of post holiday washing, mainly. Tried to top up my tan a bit this afternoon. I swear I don't look as brown here as I did in Italy. The light.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 14th, 2017, 8:36 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
you're right about the people watching. there was a beautiful young woman, at the wedding, in a string top the (gorgeous) colour of a mallards head with a very pretty matching/toning, flowery skirt - really elegant, but when she got a bit chilly she put on this grotesquely naff sort of jacket that looked an awful mismatch with the rest of the outfit - it looked a bit like a silky bed jacket that would have normally been seen in a nursing home as a present from a relative who didn't know what else to give.
i may have to work myself up to a bit of hswk today - or maybe not.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2017, 8:52 am

Good morning
What people wear for special occasions never ceases to amaze me, and I'm enough of a fogey to find it odd that if younger women want to dress up at all they go straight for the glitzy cocktail frock, I first noticed this about 12 years ago when I happened to be in the Leeds Hilton on Mothering Sunday, most of the women going in for the special Sunday lunch were wearing tinselled outfits, very evening to my eyes, I'd have worn a trouser suit (not now, I'd look like a Hilary Clinton tribute act).

No rhinestones today, fresh with hazy sunshine, so the usual jeans will suffice.

Housework and paperwork call, but will throw in a walk too

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » August 14th, 2017, 11:03 am

I am back at work and having to hit the ground running. A book to send back to production today after proofing, cover blurb to write and another book to send off tomorrow/Wednesday.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » August 15th, 2017, 9:52 am

good morning, all.
sunshine (with the odd bit of cloud at the moment).
the weather is predicted to be fine all day - which is good as we are at the minack tonight for 'a comedy of errors'. we may, again, avail ourselves of the food hut on site.
a day of washing and then a bit of vit. d may be partaken of later.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 15th, 2017, 10:07 am

Morning! I am stewing in my own pyjamas here! It's lovely out there today so I should get my hooves out! My grass needs cutting but I need my Mum to bring my mower over. Her mower and my Sister's mower have both packed up (they live practically next door to each other) so they are sharing mine which is fine except when I am having to claw my way through waist height dandelions to get anywhere. I think the lawn may need one more mow before autumn sets in. Once cut I can spread a blanket out and soak up some rays with my book. Heck, I should still do it with the dandelions there!
Time for a teapot revisit!
I miss my cats
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 15th, 2017, 10:15 am

Tezza, I've sent you a pm .... ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 15th, 2017, 10:26 am

dig up the dandelion roots and make dandelion coffee!
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 15th, 2017, 12:14 pm

Clouds and sun today, washing is done, ironed and back on the line to finish off. I have mayo to make to go with the fish from the claws of the lobster.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 15th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Good after morning :D
One line-full dry, another will be soon; another load of runner beans done and frozen, and tonight's supper veggie 'tarte tatin' made from mushrooms, Swiss chard and Norfolk Dapple cheese has been made and everywhere swept through.
This afternoon I have intentions of transferring the addresses and phone numbers of friends and relatives still living into a new book I bought yesterday ... but I might just knit instead ...
Have a good afternoon all and enjoy the Minack Scully :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 15th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Good afternoon
Been out, walked went to a social which turned out to be coffee, chat and a bit of international folk dancing, as you do
Need to do a little house work, then finish the ironing with my saved up R4 programmes
Oh and put the bathroom door back on its hinges, call someone if I can't

suffolk wrote:This afternoon I have intentions of transferring the addresses and phone numbers of friends and relatives still living into a new book I bought yesterday...
:? New address book? I transferred everything my two address books and my Dad's three to the computer last year!

Enjoy the Minack, saw a great promenade production of COE in the cemetery park two years ago
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 15th, 2017, 6:07 pm

I like having them in a book ... more convenient in a lot of ways ... for example, we take it on holiday with us and do that traditional thing of sending postcards to friends and family ... the laptops stay at home ... it's nice to get away from everything ... IT included (although I do have my phone of course).

Also, although our laptops are switched on for a lot of the day, they're not on all the time, and if I'm looking for an address or phone number a book in the desk is so much more accessible :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 15th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I too have a paper back address book and a diary too ... I find them so much more user friendly... ;) :oops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » August 17th, 2017, 6:28 am

good morning, all.
i think it may be wet. i haven't looked beyond the blind yet.
i was out early yesterday - the farm needed an extra body. this morning i also have to be up early as my partner is dog's bodying for the plasterer, at our son's, and i have to take the car to have the tracking done in the small, not too bad, city. that is followed this afternoon by a dentist apt and coffee with a friend.
it's definitely wet - a cat has just come in.
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 17th, 2017, 6:29 am

Morning All. we had a big storm last night, now it is raining again :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 17th, 2017, 7:51 am

Heavy rain earlier ... drizzle now ... OH is at work ... if the weather clears up I'll faff in the garden ... if it doesn't I'll find something else to amuse myself with ... there's a pre-holiday list to be compiled ...
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2017, 8:20 am

suffolk wrote:I like having them in a book ... more convenient in a lot of ways ... for example, we take it on holiday with us and do that traditional thing of sending postcards to friends and family ... the laptops stay at home ... it's nice to get away from everything ... IT included (although I do have my phone of course).

Also, although our laptops are switched on for a lot of the day, they're not on all the time, and if I'm looking for an address or phone number a book in the desk is so much more accessible :D

I have the same contact list (address book) and calendar on my computer, Kindle and phone. I just use the ones built in to Hotmail, and the synchronise, back up, and generally sort themselves out automatically, it's really handy that if I acquire a phone number it goes straight in through the phone. I would never have taken the paper master copy away in case I lost it, I usd to take a list or address labels. Kavey told me years ago it was easy, so I've done it ever since

Anyway, it has been raining most of the night and is forecast to slowly dry out so I'll be able to walk through the wetlands centre to backgammon tonight

I have backed myself into a corner where I have nothing to do but my paperwork, so I'd better get on with it
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » August 18th, 2017, 8:40 am

good morning, all.
sunny now then it'll be rainy, sunny, rainy, sunny for the rest of the day. however, we were predicted with rain all day wednesday and a bit yesterday but i don't think that really happened so maybe 'they' are hedging their bets.
had a good chat with my friend yesterday - commiserating on each's signs of ageing - and a cuddle with her new kitten.
today, we need shopping but as i don't have the car that will have to wait until tomorrow - and as it's changeover day shops should be less crowded in the morning.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 18th, 2017, 8:48 am

Sunshine and showers here today
The bathroom has been cleaned ... just the floors to do then I'm off to the farm shop to pick up food for the weekend ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop