good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2018, 7:12 am

good morning, all.
a little overcast at the moment but the full sun icon is on the met office forecast from about two onwards.
off to the south in about an hour so i really should start moving.
i had to do some archæological excavation in the freezer to fit in a half dozen pastys when we got back, last night. that's a couple of weeks covered. the house still smells of them.
the cherry orchard was good (but then miracle theatre productions usually are), we ended up sitting next to a friend we haven't seen for years - an interesting place to catch up!
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 10:15 am

Good morning all :D

The rain of which they spoke did not materialise :rolleyes: so I gave the garden a good soak in the evening ... this obviously brought out all the little beetles, slugs and other critters and we watched at least three hedgehogs having a party in our garden at bedtime last night. :D
This morning the blackbirds and robins and all their chums are scratching around in the damp soil and stuffing themselves :D

This afternoon we have been invited for drinks and nibbles at a friend's place a couple of streets away ... we will be taking a bottle of chilled Provencal rosé and a bunch of sweet peas.

Have a lovely day folks. :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 6th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Herbi, you can’t wear a laptop.........I’d go to Chelsea and look at swimsuits.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Good evening
Been out all day, dentist for a temporay filling, Garden Museum including lunch in their restaurant :) then up to the private view of an old friend's paintings Too big to fit in here so I don't feel guikty about not buying one

Have a goid sleep everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

good morning, all.
the sun is up, the sky is blue etc
we are watching the first part of qually then my partner has asked if he can watch the football - as it only comes round every four years it would be churlish to deny him - and all the f1 programmes record anyway.
he offered me a coffee about an hour ago - if it doesn't appear soon i may deny him the football! (i don't think so, really).
better go and water some pots and bud a rose or two.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 11:09 am

Good noon
Quite overcast but still blooming hot here
Slow day recovering from travel, heat, and busy day yesterday. Annual jazz picnic tomorrow.
Slightly shattered but slept 10 hours which helps.
Have a good day.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 8th, 2018, 10:47 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a prediction of cloudlessness no rain.
watering will be needed. i'm going to head off to buy some beetroot seeds soon. i've looked through my rather copious seed collection to find none and i'd like to plant a batch (and some carrots) in the barren wasteland (getting less barren although i need some worms and some more beneficial microbes in it). it's getting to the end of the planting season for things like that. maybe another planting of peas would be a good idea - and if i can still do those maybe i'll put in a few sweet peas.
i'll also be watching the f1.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2018, 8:45 am

Hot again... sky not a vivid blue but still won't be any rain.

I am working from home this morning. This evening I will be replacing the cat flap I hope. I forgot to obstruct it last night, as I usually do, and there was a fracas between Lily and another cat at midnight, resulting in it being ripped out of the door (indeed the cat flap door has been ripped in half. )
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 9th, 2018, 9:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
the first load of washing is in the machine. the next lot will be in the machine before i have to go off and get my poor bits squashed in the machine.
i found some beetroot seeds - they are a bit old but i've given them a bit of a soak and i'll put them in anyway (a fresh lot may have to be bought), along with some peas given the same treatment. i'll have to get sweet pea seeds.
some dutch white carrots and some chard went in, too, along with a very large trugg full of leaf mould and a worm i found under a pot out the back. i also applied some water to the relevant bits before and after applying the leaf mould.
the soaked seeds will go in on the way back from my appointment.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2018, 9:45 am

Good morning :D

Strongly recommend Beetroot 'Boldor' Scully :tu:

beetroot Boldor 1.jpg

Gorgeous golden colour inside ... no bleeding ... delicious raw and cooked and lovely leaf flavour too.

OH is having his induction today so I've been left to my own devices .................

Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2018, 9:46 am

Good morning
Another hot sunny day here..Came round to the day rather slowly after a day spent at jazz on the green
Need to do some tidying uo and triage the clean clothes I washed and hung up so I can identify the ones that do / don't need ironing
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 9th, 2018, 1:48 pm

suffolk wrote:Strongly recommend Beetroot 'Boldor' Scully

i didn't see any of those so i got some detroit 2. the ones i soaked and planted are chiogia.
i came home with two cambridge favourite strawberry plants, another french tarragon (the other succumbed in the snow), a packet of salad leave seeds - oh, and the beetroot seeds.
maybe i should have only taken a couple of quid into the garden centre rather than a card!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 9th, 2018, 1:55 pm

:lol:

I'm astounded that our French tarragon (new last year) survived The Beast from the East et al, but it's doing just fine :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2018, 6:35 am

Morning. Pleasantly cool right now but still skimpy dress weather today I think.
My last day at school today. They don’t want us around on the last day of term. Hoping to pick up my laptop and sort out the cat flap buying fiasco (local pet shop has gone done in my esteem. This missold me a fancy expensive one which is of no use to me, as it requires collars, and refuse to give me a refund. My fault partly. I was in a rush and should have questioned the price.)
Dickens book to go off (very late) this week having had a thumbs up from the expert. So it’s a final farewell to Dombey and Son too.

I hope everyone has a great day! :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2018, 8:15 am

good morning, all.
sunn at the moment.
has the sale of goods act changed? if the thing is not fit for purpose you can reasonably expect a refund or at least a credit note.
better move - i'm off to yoga again in a little while.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2018, 8:37 am

Good morning
I don't think sale of goods act applies unless Herbi made it clear that she needed one that did not require a collar, it is up to her to give the seller a specification. Presumably the shop doesn't think she did, but she does, which is hard to resolve.

Enjoying tge relative coolth which gives me the oportunity to do a bit of clearing up I really couldn't do when the attic was at 30C +

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2018, 9:05 am

I feel that if Herbie asked for advice then they should have explained that they only had an electronic one and what that entailed. Obviously we don't know how the conversation went.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 10th, 2018, 9:15 am

I don't think I am within my rights for a refund, strictly speaking, but they could be more accommodating. I asked if I could bring it back when I bought it, if it did not fit, and she said they would exchange it, which seemed reasonable when I thought I was at least buying the right sort of thing. It is my fault, mainly, but as I said, they could be more accommodating. I am pretty sure that Pet World down the road would give me a refund.
What I actually said was something like 'It's not a chip one is it?" I did not say "It's not an infra red one is it?" (I had forgotten they existed.) I should have said "Is this just an ordinary basic cat flap?" Which is actually what I think I said on the phone when I rang to ask if they had one, and they said yes, just one, and that they would put it behind the till for me. I should definitely have pursued the reason for its high price. I was in a hurry and flustered...

So saying it was missold it was perhaps not strictly true. But they could have offered more information. Caveat emptor clearly applies to this shop.

It wouldn't have killed her to say "No, it's not a chip one, it's an infrared one."

Still if I get a credit note, it shouldn't be hard to use it up, even though it's for a lot, give how expensive their things are.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2018, 7:02 am

good morning, all.
overcast but no hint of rain. we were promised a quick blast yesterday but no-one told the rain.
off to the farm in a bit. my little group are, maybe, heading off to a place to buy a large sack of plaster of paris to make some more and different casting moulds. what's the point of having teapot moulds without the lids? a couple of mug ones would be good - easy sellers - and the guys can take a mug home with their name on it or which they've decorated.
i don't think i'll bother watering the pots today unless the sun starts up again with no cloud.
have a good day, folks.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 7:04 am

Cloudy, overcast and cool today. I probably ought to take a cardigan as connecting train cancelled = longer wait, but not sure if can be bothered!

Feel a little sad to have finished with school, but on the other hand a break is good.

Hoping to collect laptop and exchange catflpa today, but not holding breath.

Ocado delivery tonight main purpose of which is a Sodastream :)

I hope everyone’s day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 7:33 am

Good morning
Verging on the nippy here, overcast and a bit of breeze
So I actually will get up into the attic today, yesterday I didn't feel wonderful, so crawling round in the dust didn't appeal, and I also realised I needed to prep the WI meeting I'm leading tomorrow as I'll be out in the afternoon and will just run in and collect my stuff

Just checked my pots - still damp from Monday, think I'll leave them and give them a liquid feed again tomorrow

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2018, 7:52 am

It would be nice to have a day off watering... it’s taking a good half an hour a day at least. I could do to feed some of mine though. I did the quad grow toms last night but need to do other veg. We may get rain on Friday!!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 9:20 am

Overcast and cool-ish here again ... no need to water stuff so have time to noodle until tennis (me) starts at 11, then I'll be back to watch tennis (them) :lol:
Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2018, 9:35 am

Herbidacious wrote:It would be nice to have a day off watering... it’s taking a good half an hour a day at least.

I know....getting a bit tedious isn't it? Like you, we're possibly due some showers on Friday and I have to say I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them. A proper drenching would do the garden a world of good.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2018, 11:39 am

Hmmm ... sun's out ... I may need to revise my watering plans .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 12th, 2018, 8:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny. the radio said the south west will have rain today. the met office disagree - for our bit.
pastys, for tonight, will be removed from the freezer in a bit. i have bought some 'toasting' bags to put them in when hot as i'm fed up with wrapping them in baking paper that then just get's thrown away. hopefully they won't be a waste of money and will be fit for my purpose for long enough to reach payback time.
i just hope they're big enough.
a bit of watering will be needed sometime. a neighbour hinted that he may have watered 'the barren wasteland' while watering another neighbours containers. it's very sweet of him but i will have to try and inform him gently that i would rather he didn't as the way i'm building up the soil (compost) means the roots should go down for their water rather than relying on a regular surface watering.
i've been amazed at the production in the garden i'm working in on fridays, which has had no water other than when seedlings have been put in or seeds planted (excluding one bag of potatoes to see how it fares compared to those planted in the ground). each week, we've each had a basket full containing some of the following; lettuce and salad leaves, chard, spinach, mangetout and pod peas, beans, courgettes, beetroot, turnip and radishes - and sweet peas. it's still producing those and other veg to come - the onions are amazingly big for not being watered since the sets were put in. if i remember i'll take some photos tomorrow.
we have been following a no dig, compost mulch sort of programme along the lines of charles dowding and i'm a total convert.
slug control has been implemented by using spent coffee grounds from the café - although the dry weather has been great for that (even in our, usually, slug prone garden there have been very few around ) so it's a bit of a skewed trial but i bet armies of them will appear (in our garden) when the rain goes back to normal , during the school holidays, in a couple of weeks.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 8:58 am

Good morning
Cool and cloudy here, the forecasters have decided it is going to stay mild rather than hot through tomorrow, which gives me a bit of a breathing space
Going to try doing a bit more tidying up for an hour or so, then lunch and out for an eye appointment, then teaching the WI backgammon tonight
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2018, 9:00 am

Dull and overcast in central London (and indeed SE London). A bit of rain forecast for tonight!!! But they have 'taken away' tomorrow's and next weekend's.

I really should feed my artichokes tonight.

Things are growing a lot in my garden too in spite of no rain. The wisteria needs pruning again - I guess its roots go down or out far.

I shall be busy this weekend potting things out before holiday. My aim is to have no little pots of things left, so about 30 strawberries to pot out (they were ordered months ago but came last week as plug plants.) OH's sunflowers (well the ones he sewed, which I have potted on and nurtured...) and a quite a few other bits and bobs.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 12th, 2018, 9:05 am

i've just been looking at a site for an alternative slug control. i chose the option for animals rather than insects as slugs aren't insects. when i got down to the bit about bears i decided that it wasn't going to be in that section and maybe i should have looked in the insect section.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 12th, 2018, 9:09 am

Filters on websites are a minefield, they seldom make complete sense, that lot need a creepy-crawly section

The reporter on BBC news just said "they could have went" :sprout:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 12th, 2018, 11:23 am

Any conclusions re alternative slug control, Scullion?

I have tried just about everything - nematodes (help a lot I think), the woolly stuff, copper barriers, egg shells etc.

I bought some of this, but then it got hot so not needed to try it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

insects are animals too...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2018, 7:20 am

good morning, all.
sunny - no rain predicted by the met office.
off to the south for the last lesson today. nothing left to do in the folders so it's playing in the garden time, drinking coffee and eating cake (the latter two being half price for us).
the minack play, last night, was 'on the razzle' by tom stoppard. it was good, very funny and well executed - and the pastys were good.
the shrew is still here. it's taken up residence in a different room the only food is possibly spiders and clothes moths. the carafe has been repositioned to tempt it with a change in diet.
better get on.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2018, 9:59 am

Good morning
The sun has returned here too, intermittently, trying to keep the house as cool as possible
Will return to the attic soon, I didnt get far in when I started on Wednesday but I did all the heavy lifting so it should be relatively plain sailing from here on in (famous last words ....)

A little more coffee then upstairs, have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2018, 11:17 am

Good noontime all :D

Very pleased with ourselves as we've just reserved the lovely cottage in St Ives where we stayed in May, for our next year's holiday ... it's very popular and gets booked up quickly as it's in such a great location by the harbour, so glad to get it for mid September '19 ...

I picked a bunch of sweet peas from the garden this morning but the perfume is so strong we've had to put them outside ... I began to feel quite lightheaded and OH has been sneezing non stop :shock:

Still quite overcast and only around 20C here ... I'm sure it'll warm up soon

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 13th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Good evening, from a damp, dank, steamy, and wet Wiltshire. Water butt filled up in under 45 mins !!!! Thought it was hailing at one point - Wuzzle was asleep in the GH and the rain hitting the roof was scaring him. I got soaked but it was refreshing. The fire that has been burning on the Plain is now steaming and I am wondering if there will be any Gt. bustards left alive ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2018, 10:00 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
rain came nowhere near us yesterday. it was cloudless and hot all day.
this is where i've been on fridays for the last few months -

IMG_0438.jpg

this is our veg plot there -

IMG_0450.jpg

this was yesterdays harvest -

IMG_0458.jpg

the courgettes turned from tiny things to 18" marrows during the week

we did a general, good watering yesterday for the first time. i doubt it'll be done again other than at planting/transplanting time. the plants have to fend for themselves after planting.
today i will be planting dwarf french beans and salad leaves into the bed (at home) which i worm composted on thursday.
better get on with it.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 14th, 2018, 10:31 am

good morning
Produce looks great scully, how will you prep the dog?

We had a good shower through most of Djokovic - Nadal yesterday, a bit more than expected to be honest but it has froed upcompletely and is now sunny and HOT again. Think Hortense, my hydrangea enjoyed a light shower though

Still clearing up and doing STUFF here. they just delivered the new TV stand, I hadn't realised it required self assembly, but the reviews say it's simple, and it doesn't look complicated

Must go out and walk a bit, and visit the chemist.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2018, 11:54 am

Good noontime all :D

Think my brother would be impressed by those onions Scully :tu:

Veggies, fruit and containers watered here while they were still going to be in the shade for a couple of hours at least ... even with all the organic bulk I've added since we've lived here we'd have no veggies if we didn't give them a real soaking every once in a while ... it's 'very free draining gritty loam' here' ... terminal moraine. However now that the toms are in the open ground rather than in pots they need much less watering than in other years :D

This afternoon is likely to be tennis, tennis and yet more tennis ... but probably not quite as much tennis as yesterday :o :lol: :tu:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2018, 1:55 pm

onions, mustard and ketchup - oh, that's a serving rather than prep!

i think we were told, yesterday, that the onions are stuttgarter. i was standing on a chair to get everything in so they actually look smaller than the impressive size they are. the sweet peas were in an old kettle that i found in the bothy. the photo makes it look like a half pint cream pot. the potatoes are a main crop 'sarpò' blight resistant, main crop variety, grown in an old compost bag to see how well they'd do on one watering a week. it was a bit early for harvesting them but they were suffering a little compared to those in the ground.

IMG_0440 copy.jpg

the potatoes are between the gladiolus and the tomatoes. the bag of pots is the little, darker looking plant(s) in the early shadow against the wall.

IMG_0448 copy.jpg

the beans,mangetout and sweet peas.

the dog is a rather plump, brown lab.
Last edited by scullion on July 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2018, 2:00 pm

We've had to remove our vase of sweet peas from the dining room table and put them in their jug on the water-butt outside the back door ... their very strong perfume was making me feel quite woozy yesterday and OH was sneezing all morning ... putting them outside but by the door means that we can still smell them but not as strongly ... they're the most strongly perfumed sweet peas I've ever come across :shock: bought as plug plants described as 'old fashioned perfumed sweet peas' from a nursery near MIL in S. Lincs.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2018, 2:17 pm

i'll look out for the seed next year. i don't know what these were. they smell lovely but maybe not as much as yours, - are you going to let some of yours go to seed?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 14th, 2018, 3:54 pm

I'm not sure if we want such strong perfume again ... Feels wrong to say that, but they make me a bit headachey ... if you want some I'll try to remember to save some seeds before the plants finish.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 15th, 2018, 12:36 am

i would love you to, please. if the ones here set seed i'll do the same for you.
a lady who volunteers and gardens the other end of the wall grows two beautiful sweet peas. they're a maroon one and a creamy, pinkish white, with an emphasis on size over smell (although they also smell lovely). if hers seed i'll try and nab some off her.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 15th, 2018, 8:56 am

good morning, all.
sunny - the met is hinting at some rain tomorrow - or is that jam?!
i think we are going to prep a garage roof for a new covering, today, along with a load of pot watering and the dishing out of a trugg of worm compost.
the shrew is still here.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 15th, 2018, 9:13 am

Your garden looks massive, Scully. Looks like your veg are doing well.

I've been working in the garden on and off since 8am. It was hot then. Trying to get things in order before holiday. Given up on a drip system so I need to make sure things are in big pots with swell gel stuff or in the shade. I have cleared dwwarf beans no. 1 and put a cucumber in the box they were in. Two calalloo have ogone in the container the broad beans were in. I've potted on sumer summer savoury and put in the shade. I find I have another two summer savoury. Not sure what to do with them. I don't need that many but I don't want to waste them. Need to pot on cape gooseberries I suppose. Sigh. One is flowering though :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 15th, 2018, 9:54 am

hahaha - i wish it was my garden! it's one of the walled gardens at penrose (nt) between helston and porthleven.
one of the gardens is up nearer helston and is being reclaimed by a community group the other is over the wall from the one we are working and is still held as a private garden until the present owner hands it all over when she 'shuffles off' - along with the big house. the estate spreads from the edge of helston down to loe pool and the beach.
i can put a few more pics of my walk from the car park down to the garden, taken on friday, if you want to see them.

the veg is doing amazingly well especially as it's only tended one day a week - better than the lady's who gardens at the other end of the wall. she say's she's changing to the 'no dig' method ( ala charles dowding) from now on.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 15th, 2018, 10:22 am

A few cumulo-nimbus appearing in the otherwise blue sky ... is this the promised rain?

Shall I water the beans? Will that guarantee a cloudburst do you think?

A casserole for supper is chuntering in the slow cooker ... not long until the men's final now .............. a lot of knitting is getting done :lol:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 15th, 2018, 11:06 am

Good morning
Quite overcast here, but hot
The forecast says no rain until Friday :o

Scully, would love to see the other pics, I used to borrow a cottage in Helston decades ago, have hardly been there since.

Have a clash this afternoon, Stokey Fun day on the common vs the tennis, will try to do both
Not difficult given I will be able to hear it

My back muscles hurt, think I upset them moving stuff in and out of the loft then annoyed it by moving the new tv bench. So sitting very correctly with the aid of a V pillow, swallowing Naproxen, and perhaps leaving chnging the bed one more day.

Have a good afternoon everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 15th, 2018, 3:43 pm

ok, here you go -
IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 15th, 2018, 3:58 pm

IMG_0435.jpg

this is the entire length of the joined walled gardens.

IMG_0436.jpg

the top door into the garden.

IMG_0437.jpg

the view from the door

IMG_0439.jpg

the herb bed may look quite small but the wall is hip height and the big green plant in the middle is horseradish, getting on for a three quarters of a metre tall.
it used to be part of the old glass house, possibly some sort of propagating bench above the pipes from the boiler.

i won't bother posting the other views of our veg beds so the next one is from the exit of the walled garden, then past the cafe and on to the gate to the bothy.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop