good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Good afternoon :)

Back from tennis after one set as I felt decidedly below par. I had felt achy and very low last and took some paracetamol which is unusual for me ... I broke into a real sweat at tennis and C said I looked very pale ... OH said he thinks he had a mild 24 hr lurgy the other day and our symptoms seem similar ... I shall watch Wimbledon until I’m better ... thankfully Serena has stepped in to replace me ;) :lol:

Have a good day folks :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 3rd, 2019, 5:52 pm

I hope you don't have what I have, Suffs.

I have arranged to work from home for ther rest of the week, such as it is, as I kept having to leave the room to have a coughing fit every 40 minutes or so. Also waking up in the night doing the same, so this way I can manage my sleep better.
Then France on Friday! I should probably think about packing, in case there is anything I need.
Tomorrow is supposed to be a hot one here...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » July 3rd, 2019, 10:07 pm

Both OH and I had very different bad coughs before we went to France. It took a while, but mine has now completely gone, and his is much reduced.

(He was the one who had trouble breathing, in the heat at times. )
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » July 4th, 2019, 4:50 am

good morning, all.
it's predicted to be sunny, looks blue, got to go.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 4th, 2019, 8:54 am

Good morning
Sunny and warm etc here

Hope all these coughs etc go away soon, should be the right kind of weather for losing them, at least in the south of England

As the weather isn’t limiting me, I have to decide what to do. I think walking along the River Lea navigation to Tottenham for a quick trip to Lidl and Ikea probably wins.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

Good morning :D
No cough here ... just a 24 hour shivery achy thing with a slightly dodgy tum. All better now so we’re off to enjoy the Suffolk coast and countryside in the sunshine 8-)
Have a lovely day all :D
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2019, 7:17 am

Morning

Supposed to be even hotter today. Forecast of 27 in SE London. But I won't be here for half of it (I hope.) Off to the south of France. Taxi coming at 10.

I am a combination of :scared: and :bounce: First 'proper' sunny holiday in a year.
Time to let go of the garden and stop worrying about what might happen. Basil was pacing and meowing, because he's locked in, but seems to have settled down now.

I hoep veryone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 5th, 2019, 7:25 am

Have a lovely time Herbi - relax and enjoy!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 5th, 2019, 7:37 am

Thanks. I am sure I will be fine when I get there.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2019, 9:24 am

Have fun in the sun Herbi! I am having a pleasing but less exciting day, including a visit to the podiatrist and a walk to the market.

The sun is out and set to stay that way.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 5th, 2019, 9:29 am

Hope you can properly relax and enjoy yourself Herbi :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 5th, 2019, 9:36 am

good morning, all.
sunny.
my partner is off to yesterday's venue to do some more cooking experiments. i am not. i'm staying home to get a bit of the drudgery done. i know my place.
but he'd better get me a coffee before he goes, after all the running around i did for him yesterday!
i think i need to do a load of watering of pots in the garden, too. they haven't been done for a couple of days so there may be some casualties (apart from slug/snail damage - cos i haven't done the slug hunt for a couple of days, either).
dinner last night was falafel, tabouleh, and a bag of bistro salad. it was dictated by the fact that there were large bunches of parsley (and the bag of salad), and more, on reduced at morrisons the night before. 5p a bunch for the parsley but the best buy was a big box of cherries reduced from £4 to 20p. i think i'd already eaten 20p's worth by the time i got home.
stay hydrated.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2019, 7:54 am

good morning, all.
bright with a little less sun today, according to the forecast; it is a bit overcast at the moment.
i am going to spend a little time at the local young's house when i go to feed the cat. their floor is a better size/shape for me to spread, measure and adjust all the pieces of a pattern and cutting out in cheap cotton to see if it's 'me'.
yesterday, as i was unwrapping the netting spread round our rather prolific and heavily loaded redcurrant bush to pick the riper berries, bob flowerdew's tip was to leave the currants on the bush for a lot longer (as they don't, naturally, just drop off) they can then all be harvested together later in the year and are much better for it. so i rewrapped the bush. he'd better be right.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2019, 8:59 am

Good morning all :D
The day started bright and sunny but it’s overcast now and they say we can expect rain around lunchtime ... there are jeans and linen shirts on the line so I hope the breeze will do it’s job before the rain arrives.
Watering the pots has been done and I’ve found the insect netting so as soon as the peas are over which will be any day now I’ll be able to plant the white sprouting broccoli and the kalette plants in their space. I’m forever juggling space for plants :lol: I’ve also potted up a tree peony ‘rescued’ by DD’s friend who had been asked to clear an old garden ... there were several so I’m a very lucky recipient. It’ll need a bit of tlc but there are signs of life and even a flower bud :D
Last edited by suffolk on July 6th, 2019, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2019, 10:12 am

Good morning

We too started hot and sunny but it has clouded and we are threatened with rain overnight 70% chance

I need to go out and buy more mouse bait stations. I’ve been using some pre-baited feeding stations that you just take out of the box and put in place without handling the food - and more to the point I can’t spill them. I haven’t seen any mice or evidence of them for a while but yesterday I was sweeping the floor and I found some shreds of paper. A little mouse had neatly shredded the sheet of newspaper placed under the cast iron grill pan to prevent rust marks and built a nest.

The nest was built in an empty bait station.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2019, 8:12 am

good morning, all.
overcast and still.
i'm not complaining at the cat who is trying to get so close he's using the keyboard as a pillow. still sad. my partner is digging a grave, at ours, next to pretty cat so they can watch the view together.
i have a meeting to go to this afternoon.
better go, stuff to prepare.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 7th, 2019, 8:43 am

Morning. About 31 here. Set to go up to 35. Cottage is lovely but hideously hot upstairs. No through draft. Will fly screens keep out mosquitoes if I open the back window at night? (Which backs onto a cliff face...) Found a lizard in the kitchen sink just now. Southern living...!
Off to Minerve and surrounds today. A late start but hey ho. No need to rush around.
Bought these yesterday on a market so may feature in tonight’s dinner (probably in a raw state.j

B23AEC01-36C9-48C4-A5FB-C2B5FAAD8672.jpeg

A grave, Scully?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2019, 8:47 am

Good morning folks
:hug: for you and yours Scully
OH is off to work
Washing is on the line
Bread is proving
I will listen to the Archers and scrub potatoes and carrots for supper
I paid for our holiday yesterday so definitely ‘See you in September’ Scully
Have a good day all :)
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 7th, 2019, 9:05 am

Ah Scully. Sorry I don’t read the chatterbox thread. Sorry to hear about the sad reason for the need for the grave :hug:
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2019, 10:18 am

Good morning
Slowly brightening here after rather more overnight rain than we were actually expecting - it was never heavy but it kept going and has watered everything nicely

Digging a pet’s grave must be a depressing experience hugs to all

Enjoy Minervois Herbi, I hadn’t appreciated that you were going to a different part of France. Try putting a bit of mozzie repellent on the fly screens - I sometimes get clouds of midges coming in from the woods opposite and even putting it on the voiles works.

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 7th, 2019, 11:41 am

Scully... so sad... :( :hug:

Perhaps poor little soul will make friends with Sally-Anne on Rainbow Bridge... :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 8th, 2019, 8:02 am

Morning. A late start again. I am sleeping better. Probably because no cats and the room has shutters...

Plan is to go off to Narbonne and environs etc today. Soon!

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 8th, 2019, 8:14 am

good morning, all.
bright with a bit of cloud at the moment but sun predicted for later.
we may only have half a butt's worth left so a day (or night) of rain would be welcome.
hopefully, today will be a better day ( add a punctured tyre to yesterday's woes therefore missing the meeting).
nothing planned, maybe we can get a walk and a coffee later.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2019, 9:21 am

Good morning

Scully, I hope you have finished your series of unfortunate events, you seem to have had your share now :hug:

On the subject of coffee, the old espresso machine has now made 12+ perfect cups in a row, so I think a blockage in the little hole in the base, the penny dropped when I read the troubleshooting guide for the Heston machine and discovered they sell a tiny mounted needle for reopening it, the ultrasonic bath is possibly better

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

it seems not, at the moment, our internet is down so i'm having to tether my phone. my partners gone off to use the local young's internet.
and we forgot to put the bin out - although that's not uncommon.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 9th, 2019, 11:12 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny.
As our internet is still down, we are at the mmi cafe in Aggie, after my yoga and his dentist - it’s another of his ‘offices’.
the coffee and cake are good but I think I would prefer our internet to be returned to us. The high winds, recently, must have loosened a copper wire again.
Nothing planned or pressing, today, other than watering.
Have a glorious frolick in the sun, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Wot sun?

None here so far

Not a lot planned but must go and work through my emails, no problem with t’internet just find it hard work on a tablet and miss things.

Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 9th, 2019, 5:07 pm

We had rain and thunder today. Headed east to try and escape it, but bad BBC forecast wrong, so got a bit wet. Still, managed a dry but hazy stroll in the Camargue.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2019, 10:04 am

good morning, all.
overcast, with glimpses of sun and a slight breeze.
we had full sun all day, yesterday, not a hint of cloud - or rain or breeze. the only rain forecast for the next week is a possible 40% on sunday, the rest of the fore-coming week is <5%.
our landline and internet are still down - i think it's about time my partner got on to them. grrrr - i will be using his data when mine runs out!
i have a load of button holes and buttons to do today, then i can get back to my stuff - this shirt is loud.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

Good morning

No sun and no real plans here. There’s no rain forecast so I WILL go for the walk I didn’t do yesterday.

Might go mad and tackle the ironing

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2019, 12:45 pm

StokeySue wrote:.... Might go mad and tackle the ironing ....

While you’re at it ...... :luv: :hug: ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 7:05 am

suffolk wrote:
StokeySue wrote:.... Might go mad and tackle the ironing ....

While you’re at it ...... :luv: :hug: ;)

Hmmm .... it’s still in the basket on the landing .... I s’pose I’ll have to do it myself .... :rolleyes: Morning
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 11th, 2019, 8:09 am

good morning, all.
sunny-ish and still, again.
off to the south for a meet up and picnic in the walled garden later this morning. i'm hoping that the veg patches haven't been cleared yet (there's another course startng in september) as there are some seeds from some heritage varieties that i want to gather. i planted some red flowered broad beans at the back end of last year - i definitely want some of those back. i'd also like to see if the garlic i planted did anything.
that will be followed by a little shopping - the stuff that didn't get done last night on the way from driving the minibus.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 8:23 am

A good morning proper from me now :D

I’ve got the ironing board out :!:

Just chose a cd to listen to while we have a coffee before OH starts on the car ... I chose John Ireland’s Downland Suite and then realised we’ll be driving through the Sussex Downs tomorrow ... my subconscious at work???

OH is out there with rubber gloves sponge and washing up bowl ... the car’s not had a wash since the last wedding ... in June last year ... and before that it had a quick wash for Ma’s funeral ... if people didn’t get married and die would our car ever get a wash I wonder :oops: :lol:

Last edited by suffolk on July 11th, 2019, 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 9:16 am

Good morning
I didn’t do my ironing either, in fact I didn’t do much yesterday, must get on a bit
It was quite overcast but it’s brilliant sunshine now

Out to see a promenade performance of the Wind in The Willows later

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 9:47 am

Chuck your ironing over here Sue while I've still got the board out ... I've just switched the iron off but it's still hot ... won't take long to warm up ... ;)
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

Ironing is one of those chores I put off - I don’t really mind doing it, especially with a good podcast, but somehow getting everything set up and put away turns a molehill into a mountain
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 11th, 2019, 11:17 am

I do ironing so rarely ... most of our clothes are presentable if dried on the line and given a good shake then folded carefully or hung on hangers .... but OHs new job has a slightly smarter dress code than the farm shop :rolleyes: so today, as he’s been giving the car a really good wash and polish I thought I’d be nice and iron all his work clothes :D
Last edited by suffolk on July 11th, 2019, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2019, 2:35 pm

I hate ironing and these days, since Mr S and I ceased work, I don't even own an ironing board :D

Odd, because I thoroughly enjoy housework.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

I think we should swap Sea. I loathe housework but quite like ironing - except when it is as hot as it has been recently
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 11th, 2019, 8:00 pm

I don’t mind ironing, but am a bit of a perfectionist who never meets their own standards. I do it less than once a year. I could do with a new ironing board, I suppose, or perhaps rather a refit of what I have - new rubber feet and some better padding and a new cover (it was left out and the cats found it.) I bought this one when I was doing my first degree. It was a Cheapy.

Husband irons more than I do.

Last day on hols tomorrow. We can’t decide what to do. Don’t want to wear ourselves out. We have a late flight from Montpellier on Saturday but need to be out of the house by 10am.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » July 12th, 2019, 8:54 am

good morning, all.
brightly overcast at the moment. we had rain last night. it started off as an almost imperceptible mist at about half six, when i got back, developing into bigger drops through the evening and into the night. i may not have to water today (well, very much).
lovely day yesterday, good picnic - the first one i've been to where three of the people bought hummous (two home made and one bought), followed by a nice walk through the woods, past loe pool and down to the coast.
nothing planned for today. i suppose i'd better do a bit of hswk. shudder.
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 12th, 2019, 8:57 am

Ratatouille wrote:I think we should swap Sea. I loathe housework but quite like ironing - except when it is as hot as it has been recently

You're on! :tu: :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2019, 8:21 am

good morning, all.
blue sky at the moment, fair weather for the rest of the day.
it was that 'one night of the year' again last night -

queenie.jpg

she (it is definitely female!) has closed and is drooping this morning.
the scent is (was) lovely.
i think the answer would be to have a whole room full of the plants in the hope that there could be a weeks worth of the flowers. it was a week earlier flowering this year than last.
buying milk and watching the quali are the only things on the 'necessary' list today.
i have the feeling that schools are out, down here, now. the beach and other attractions/towns may have to be avoided for the next month or so. shopping may have to be done at an even less popular time of day than usual.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 13th, 2019, 8:39 am

What's the flower please scully?

That's early for schools to break up. We finish the end of next week but others around here are the middle of the following week.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2019, 9:11 am

Good morning
Just checked, our lot don’t break up until 24 July which gives me time to to the outdoor pool while it’s quiet
I meant to go this week but had a bit of a sore throat so it seemed like a bad idea, especially when I discovered that 80% of the WI had it too, so definitely a bug and not the malingering I was beating myself up over.

Will go and have a look at the Farmers Market before Wimbledon, it’s a bit overcast but we were threatened with showers overnight and they didn’t happen

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2019, 9:59 am

slimpersoninside wrote:What's the flower please scully?

it's an epyphillum oxypetalum or 'queen of the night' , a type of cactus.
the flower is about 8" in diameter.
i think it's the same family as the easter and christmas cactus. a piece of her plant was given to me by a friend about 5 years ago and last year was its first flowering.
it's stunning.

yes, you're right, i've checked, they finish on the 26th. i couldn't remember if they were a week earlier or a week later down here - reprieve!
(but not from the upcountry ones that will arrive next week!).
scullion
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » July 13th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Nice flower and quite a size (ooh err mrs). I must get myself a Christmas cactus, they're a lovely sight at that time of year when they flower.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby scullion » July 14th, 2019, 8:03 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment.
had a brisk walk up to the village, after the f1 yesterday afternoon, to get milk.
some scones dropped into the basket, too.
such a shame that the good work of the walk was blown away by a cream tea when i got back. oh well. never mind.
i made this to go with dinner, last night. tasty although quite strong on the cinnamon even though i cut it down a bit. still worth making again (after the two meals worth in the freezer are used up).
have a lazy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 14th, 2019, 8:16 am

That looks nice scully, you can do those kind of rice dishes in the oven too if you haven't got a suitable lidded pan.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop