good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » September 9th, 2019, 10:24 am

good morning, all.
a threat of wet cats all day but dry at the moment - the one on my lap dried himself on me - or rather used me to dry himself.
i dug some potatoes the other day - they were the sarpo mira - i hadn't meant to start those yet but i accidentally pulled up the haulms on two of the plants so they weren't going to do anything else. i've left the rest in. they don't have an inbuilt senescence so they will be fine for another couple of months if necessary. we've eaten all but the tiny ones - which i may plant next spring.
some shopping is needed.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » September 10th, 2019, 7:44 am

good morning, all.
a dryer day than yesterday is forecast and there may be windfalls after yesterdays breeze.
yoga and shopping on the cards today and maybe a coffee with a friend squeezed in between.
i was offered a coffee half an hour ago - still no sign of it being made - better go and start it myself!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 10th, 2019, 9:54 am

Good morning all
A change of plan here as OH has gone into work to cover for a colleague with a poorly daughter. I am now deputed to cook the curry he had planned for.
Apart from that the day is mine to play with
Have a good day all
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 10th, 2019, 10:08 am

Quite sunny here
Still contemplating heading for Ikea. Suppose I ought to - I need just one more picture ledge to complete my display and the handyman is coming tomorrow

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 12th, 2019, 7:25 am

Morning.
Dull here. Just been out surveying the garden (out last night and Monday and forgot yesterday.) Picked several long, fat slugs off my tomatoes. They would go for the best variety. I have never had such a sluggy problem with tomatoes before, but I suppose it's to do with the the fact that these plants are leaning over their pots and stand, and towards a shady walled area. It's tricky, as I can't really lift the trusses to look for more slugs and snails without risking breaking the trusses off.

Anyway I have one roasted batch to run though the tomato mill, and another (which I may had to) to roast tonight.
Last two roastings have involved a lot of juice in the outcome. Higher temperature?

I also tried roasting achocha last night. They do indeed taste a bit like green peppers, when roasted.

Optician's again late afternoon. I've been trialling new lenses.

My concentration has been appalling at work this week - I've been busy, but not achieved much - so need to try to get some focus back.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 12th, 2019, 9:53 am

good morning, all.
sunny patches.
yesterday, was the second part (the self defence part - avoidance of 'attack'/situation would be a better description) of the course i was on last week. the nearest i would get to needing it with my group would be to have ear defenders for the laughter and banter but i suppose there are always the other chaps who can react to situations at the farm as well as them.
coffee has just been handed to me - hooray.
there were two very interesting programmes on the radio (4) this morning. one a debate about the truth in news reporting, the other about the ability of people to judge when someone's telling lies. both well worth listening to on iplayer (if you can find them on the 'sounds' website!).
i have a batch of cucumber pickle to make (cucumbers were 35p each at lidl on tuesday) to put in the cupboard along with another batch of strawberry jam made on tuesday evening.
i used some of the redcurrant i picked the other week to up the pectin content of the strawberries (a couple of bags of lidl's frozen ones - they make good jam). i think i may have made it too thick. maybe i'll have to test it on the scones and cream i seem to have.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 12th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Good afternoon
It’s currently hot and sunny here, I’ve been out for a hair cut and will go out again later for eyebrows and WI

Will need yo soak my plants so they survive a weekend of this

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 13th, 2019, 10:14 am

good morning, all.
sunny - bread baking.
nothing planned other than going to water our son's chilli plants. i will pick some for seeds - and put the rest of the fruits in the freezer - the carolina reaper will be chopped into small portions - i won't need a whole one in cooking!
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 13th, 2019, 10:41 am

Lovely day here. Tense morning getting a book off to production. (not helped by only 4 hours' sleep and strong coffee.)
In about an hour, I am off to Whitechapel to collect a lens I am hiring for the weekend.
Finishing a bit early and taking said lens (attached to camera...) into the City to try it out. (It is a fisheye lens with a standard wide angle option.)
Then, early evening, meeting husband and I have a table booked for an hour in the Iris Bar of the Gherkin. (Presumably he will just have to get the lift 'up stairs'.)

I hope everyone's day is going well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 13th, 2019, 11:03 am

Good noontime everyone

A lovely warm and sunny day here ... I’ve been into the city for a few errands and then back within the hour, washing on line, veggies picked and minestrone is simmering.

Enjoy your meal at the Gherkin Herbi :D

Have a good day all
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 15th, 2019, 11:13 am

good morning, all.
sunny patches - yesterday's forecast for today was less than promising.
a day of bits and pieces yesterday including going to friend's for the afternoon - and raiding their poly tunnel for interesting tomatoes for next year's seeds. that will be a job for today - seed scooping and drying. the favourite (by name) is banana legs.
you could make a strange animal with tomato names - red (or green) zebra with banana legs and buffalo horn.
the need for hswk looms.
another coffee is on its way.
have a good day, all.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 7:33 am

Yesterday was very sunny and hot. Today it's not...

Today is my official birthday day at work, so a bit tense. (It usually involves getting one's desk decorated, and having cake - or heaven forbid breakfast - and being sung to. Which is lovely and all, but it makes me anxious. Centre of attention and all that.)
Just had an AF cocktail in the Irish Bar in the Gherkin on Friday evening. Nice view. Delicious drink - it was called a Basil Lover, so obvs I had to...
I have a busy week ahead of me so probably won't manage a posh dinner out until it's a bit too late to call it a birthday one. Optician's late afternoon today. British Library tomorrow afternoon. Mother's on Thursday evening. I hope the book we sent on Friday doesn't come back too quickly/on Thursday. But a one week turn around is not unknown these days. We will need to make corrections. Not ideal to send a book in a known less than perfect state, but sometimes, when it's very late, it's necessary to get a foot in the door of the whole getting to print process. It did strike me especially, on Friday, how very much work has gone into something that I could, without it's hardback cover, stick in the post in an ordinary A4 envelope. (Or fold it up and stick it in an A5 one.) i.e it hasn't got many pages.

I hope eveyone's day goes well.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 16th, 2019, 8:55 am

good morning, all.
overcast and damp.
banana legs is obviously a cooking tomato. fluffy flesh reasonable flavour for its size.
its our son's first day in a new job (based in london) - he's, understandably, a little nervous.
is it a children's book?
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 10:10 am

I hope his day goes well, scullion.

Yes, children's book on dinosaurs, but it's kind of not a book. It's a fold out thing. Lots of facts and pictures, but not many actual sentences!

Not heard of some of those tomatoes. I am running out of freezer room for tomatoes, in spite of the slug issue.I obviously need to eat more now. I did find a toad nestled at the base of one pot though. Hopefully eating the slugs.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Good after noon all

I’ve been busy getting petrol, checking routes for roadworks (the A428 near Cambridge is still very slow according to DS) ... I’ve a couple of alternatives planned.

I ordered something for DD ... it was supposed to be delivered on Wednesday when there would be someone at home. I’ve just had an email to say it was delivered at 10 today and signed for by someone with her surname ... but neither she nor SSIL are there and she thinks her brother who is staying with them would have left for work by then and he has a different name anyway. She won’t know until one of them gets home whether it’s been delivered or whether DHL have pulled a fast one ... :?

Hey ho ....

Have a good day folks
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » September 16th, 2019, 4:22 pm

the delivery driver has probably signed for it himself and left it behind a bush - that has often happened to us!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Yep he definitely signed for it. It was left where it should’ve been. The thing is it didn’t have to be signed for so he lied for no reason. The senders have been informed :rolleyes:
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 16th, 2019, 4:38 pm

I think that some firms rather then the senders require a signature. There was one which I received a full tracking notice for including the delivery with a picture of the signature. To this day I don't know what it was because I never saw it or knew where it came from. I hate parcel deliveries which don't have the option to have the parcel delivered to a shop or box, it's either something like that or else the completely wrong address.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 16th, 2019, 5:13 pm

Just recently I was messaged a photo of the package left by my back door. That felt a wee bit weird ... but I understand why it was done.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 16th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I've had companies say something has been delivered and 'given to receptionist' when it hasn't and can't have been e.g. to work at the weekend.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 17th, 2019, 9:38 am

good morning, all.
slight overcast, brightening and sun later.
coffee in hand.
i've not gone to yoga as my back is twinging - i'm falling apart - although maybe just a bit too flexible.
i made some kimchi last thursday, from quite a simple recipe i found on the web, and yesterday put it in the 'fridge. the ferment was interesting. i've been checking it daily, pushing any surface veg back under the liquor and yesterday evening was the first time that it showed positive fermentation. it tastes really good - my partner doesn't think so but that will most likely change. he has often had (to be forced) to come round to different foodstuffs, including a couple of things that, now, he considers his favourite food. i have to admit that i forgot to put in the spring onions. next time - it may change his mind.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 17th, 2019, 10:54 am

scullion wrote:i made some kimchi last thursday, from quite a simple recipe i found on the web, and yesterday put it in the 'fridge. the ferment was interesting. i've been checking it daily, pushing any surface veg back under the liquor and yesterday evening was the first time that it showed positive fermentation. it tastes really good - my partner doesn't think so but that will most likely change. he has often had (to be forced) to come round to different foodstuffs, including a couple of things that, now, he considers his favourite food. i have to admit that i forgot to put in the spring onions. next time - it may change his mind.have a good day, everyone.

I must give this another try, as I really didn't like my first attempt. I can only hope that the taste will grow on me too. In last Saturday's Mail, Michael Moseley is published a lifestyle to age better. He is a great fan of Kimchi, Kombucha, Sauerkraut and Kefir … I'm only a fan of 1 out of those 4. I have only tried commercial Kombucha and just found it to be a slight fizzy quite sweet drink. I only have to see the SCOBY though and that puts me off making my own. :aww: :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 17th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Good afternoon all
We’ve had a busy morning ... now all I have to do is top up the screen wash and write instructions for NDN who is going to keep an eye on things and feed the hedgehogs.
Hope the twinge settles Scully.
Have a good day all
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 17th, 2019, 3:18 pm

Good afternoon
I’ve not tried making kimchi but I do like it, there’s a new Korean grocery in Islington, and they sell of course N varieties. The one I have at the moment is in a jar with a long shelf life, so presumably pasteurised
I also like sauerkraut, and though the bought stuff is often pasteurised (and I would tend to cook it, Alsace style) I can buy good fresh stuff from a young couple (Slovak I think?) at a local market
Kombucha though :sprout:
I don’t dislike kefir, it just doesn’t fit into my eating pattern apart from a sort of cold borsch I make sometimes. Might make some this week

Have a good evening everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 18th, 2019, 8:48 am

good morning, all.
sunny - bread is proving.
a bit of hswk is on the cards.
i make kombucha, too. it does need to be drunk young otherwise the vinegariness kicks in and becomes unpleasant (although some people like that).
the kimchi recipe i linked to is dead easy. i had ordinary radishes rather than mooli and forgot the spring onions but it's still really nice.
PatsyMFagan wrote: I only have to see the SCOBY though and that puts me off making my own.

i seem to remember a fashion design student, somewhere, making a garment out of the fused, dried sheets of kombucha scobys. interesting concept.
according to the fermenting book the spare scobys can be made into a sort of sweet/confectionary - not sure that will fit into my diet - i rarely eat sweets (other than good chocolate) and the thought of chewing on a dried scabby (this is what my computer changes scoby to - i thought i'd leave it in) is maybe a step beyond my comfort zone. the book also says that there seems to be no difference in the microbial makeup of the kombucha scabby (again) to that of a vinegar mother. i may have a try with some of my white wine vinegar as the mother seems to be lacking a bit of oomph at the moment.
coffee finished, better get on.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 18th, 2019, 9:36 am

Morbning. Bright and sunny but cool here.

Not much on other than work and roasting tomatoes.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 18th, 2019, 7:52 pm

scullion wrote:i seem to remember a fashion design student, somewhere, making a garment out of the fused, dried sheets of kombucha scobys. interesting concept.

I remember seeing that on tv . :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 19th, 2019, 8:58 am

Good morning
I’d sooner wear kombucha than consume it :lol:

Lovely cold sunny autumn day here. I am tired following the Scarborough weekend and all the activities since; I walked back from a meeting in Islington yesterday morning as well as the two meetings. Sure it’s doing me good

So today will only involve reading my book for book club tomorrow, some paperwork and a bit of pottering in the sun

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » September 19th, 2019, 9:17 am

good morning, all.
sunny - more bread. getting fat!
our son has sent some photos of the view from his desk. if you have to work in london it's not a bad view - he overlooks the river and a big pointy building.
coffee finished, off to do some shopping in a bit, then the hswk i avoided yesterday.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » September 20th, 2019, 10:04 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of breeze.
i think it may be a good drying day.
the avoided hswk will be done today, it has to be, our daughter is here tomorrow!
have another gloriously, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 20th, 2019, 12:43 pm

scullion wrote:- he overlooks the river and a big pointy building.

The Shard?!
If he's on the other side of the river from that, he must be within spitting distance of where my husband works. Probably not in the same buidling ;) I think you have to go to it's top to see the river. But you never know. If he's in a famous one...

I am at home today. Was supposed to go to mother's last night but she's not well and asked me not to go. Decided to take the day off anyway. It's been a really hard fortnight. I spent the morning having a blitz on the spare bedroom. I started at ten, and the next time I looked it was 1. It's not there yet, but more mangeable now. I just need to find somewhere to put the spare bedding and winter coats, but really there isn't anywhere. OH refuses to have them under his huge and high super king sized bed anymore.
I am rather tired now. I think I might have to axe the Bromley trip. I have about three sacks of clothes for charity, and one for textile recyling, and one for trying to sell. I am on washing load no.3. I should put batch two of tomatoes on to roast. But maybe later.

Lovely weather. (And great drying weather.)

I hope everyone is having a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » September 21st, 2019, 9:58 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
a whole heap of stuff to do today including picking our daughter up from the station.
not having got enough of the hswk done i'm going to get comments from her. i think i managed enough of the vacuuming before a rather nasty smell started coming from it - the motor rather than dirt, i have to say!
better get on,
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » September 21st, 2019, 12:38 pm

Another absolutely glorious day here. There’s a BIG sporting event on in town, so all the local roads are closed. It’s lovely to be able to sit out in the garden with just the sound of birdsong, and the leaves gently rustling in the breeze :D. Beautiful.

(Oh, and the occasional tv and police helicopters :cry: )
Amber
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop