good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby Herbidacious » October 6th, 2019, 6:19 pm

suffolk wrote:Hori Hori

Sounds interesting. Just watched a video. Have you sourced any that you think look good?

Right now wondering whether to go out and pick ('bell') peppers... which feels kind of wrong in the dark. (ie because it's so late in the season.) Maybe the slugs have eaten them anyway. I've not been in the garden this weekend at all. If I get hungry I might. Was thinking of halving them, then roasting them with a few choice things in the halves - herbs, pine nuts, feta cheese, garlic, maybe some breadcrumbs. A potentially tasty but light dinner. I did have a light main course (a starter - two tiny arrancini with (flavourless) rocket on the side. When did rocket lose its flavour in restaurants?) for lunch but then sticky toffee puudding. Second day in a row :o It was delicious.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 6th, 2019, 6:41 pm

Not yet Herbi ... and the discussion ranged over
Several threads ... but there’s a segment of it here https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discus ... nt_2120726
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 6th, 2019, 7:05 pm

I'll have a look. Thanks.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 7th, 2019, 7:12 am

Morning. Dull here. Not much else to say :? Nothing planned other than work (which is how I try to keep it on Mondays.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 7th, 2019, 10:50 am

good morning, all.
dull and damp.
nothing planned here either, other than maybe chestnut gathering - they are dropping thick and fast. i may try and get some in the freezer for christmas dinner. they are quite small compared to the ones in the shops - but they are free and the squirrels aren't getting them so i'm not complaining.
i had a dream, last night, that i was collecting beech nuts. they were so big that i was having trouble holding on to three of them - i wish! (it was part of a very strange dream). i love beech nuts but i rarely find them down here.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 8th, 2019, 7:36 am

Morning. Dull here - was brighter earlier.
Another insomniac night. It's like groundhog day. And I am getting perilously close to a deadline at work, but I can't just turn on the philosophy tap when I am sleep deprived :( I was like a zombie yeterday... until 5.30 when it was time to come home.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2019, 8:00 am

Good morning
Between one thing and another didn’t go out for plants yesterday so hope to go today as the sun is gently shining
Onwards and upwards

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 8th, 2019, 3:44 pm

We just had a torrential downpour, but now the sun's out. Good timing... (for me!)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 8th, 2019, 4:01 pm

I'd just got home, put my new plants outside to recover from the bus ride, and emptied the gravel tray under the "dry Mediterranean" plants so good timing for me

Except that tray is full again!

THink it started with hail, but doesn't seem to have done any damage
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 8th, 2019, 4:08 pm

OH just cycled home in it ... it stopped just as his key was in the door :rolleyes:
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” —Winnie-the-Pooh
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 9th, 2019, 9:13 am

Good morning all :D
At least it’s not raining here ... but it’s looking much brighter down in Cornwall 8-)
I’ve just cut up and roasted half a large butternut squash and picked a bunch of sage ... risotto for supper tonight :hungry:
Now to get ready for tennis ...
Have a good day all :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2019, 9:36 am

Bom Diam, as I should be saying on Friday. Off to Lisbon tomorrow afternoon and a bit jittery! I meant to learn some Portuguese, but somehow it didn't happen. I did quite well (as in, it helped and was useful) with Danish using DuoLingo, but lost faith in the app for Portuguese when I realized it was Brazilian Portuguese, which I gather is pretty much the same on paper, but not when spoken. And like Danish it does not, to me, sound like it looks. Is this subjective? Do German and French seem to sound like they lok because I am very familiar with them?

Nice and sunny out, here. Wondering what to wear to go tomorrow. Long skirt and knee socks?!! It will be 27 when I arrive and similarly nice and hot on Friday but the report (which was for a solid 27 Thursday-Monday two weeks ago) just keeps getting worse. Now 23 on Saturday, and rain on Sunday and down to 21/20 degrees :o :( I think I may need to repack a bit tonight to accomodate this - extra skirt and some more substantial tops maybe.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » October 9th, 2019, 10:38 am

good morning, all.
sunny/cloudy/breezy.
back from an early start - having taken a friend to the hospital for a wisdom tooth extraction.
i have come back to bed for a nap as i only got three or four hours sleep, last night which is not quite enough and i'm feeling rather sleepy - especially as i'm coming down with a sore throat type of cold. i haven't had a cold in a very long time - it's one of those there upcountry infections. i wish it hadn't piggybacked on the young the other week.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2019, 10:56 am

Herbidacious wrote: I meant to learn some Portuguese

As long as you can say 'please', 'thank you' etc you're fine. DD and I went into a travel agents to try to book a coach trip whilst in Lisbon. I am a poor linguist but had tried to learn a bit as I think it is polite to try. With my trusty phrase book and dictionary I worked out exactly what I wanted to say and went in and said it. The whole office tried to look polite but then could no longer contain themselves and all rolled round laughing - the girl at the desk then spoke to me in perfect English :oops:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2019, 11:07 am

I can indeed say please and thank you. Although I had better listen to the pronunciation again. That said, in many continental European countries, they don't use please and thank you to the extent that we do. I have a little buried Spanish (O'level. 1987.) but I know that's quite different. Last time I was in Portugal, I was green enough to think that they would speak Spanish, because Spain was 'next door'. At that time (mid '90s), French seemed to be the second language.

I know one can usually get by almost anywhere with English, but I don't like not speaking the language of the country I am in... but inevitably it happens.

I am almost getting excited now. But excitement is so close to anxiety... ;)

If I could teleport there it would help, but then I'd have to worry about whether it would still be me, or just a replica, so even in the science fiction future, I will worry about travel :D Actually, no, if they could teleport my luggage there, then I'd be much much better :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 9th, 2019, 11:35 am

Oh Herbi.... :hug:

Hope you have a totally splendid time. Bon Voyage!! :wave: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 9th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Eagerly awaiting your report when you get back Herbi, we go in a couple of weeks. A Monday to Friday half term break (we are going with our teacher friend).

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Everyone seems to be going this year, Busybee. Or at least two(?) people in here and several at work. It's a pity the summer weather breaks this weekend.

I had an email earlier from BA 'inviting' me to put my cabin luggage in the hold for free because the flight is very full. Not sure what to do. I need a bigger than my handbag bag in the cabin anyway to acommodate my camera equipment... but there will be an elbows at dawn situation regarding trying to get overhead locker space, I suspect (after some bullying at the gate to get people to put luggage in the hold.) It maybe better to have a smaller cabin bag and put what was to be my cabin luggage in the hold... but this will commit me to doing the same on the way back. Or find a bigger handbag that will accommodate the camera etc. I wish I'd snapped up that £99 upgrade in time now.
This is the sort of thing that prompted my teleporting the luggage comment.
Also was about to check in when realized that they don't have up to date API (they think they do, as they don't klnow I replaced my faulty passport since I last flew with the.) so will have to wait until I get home. I guess some poeple still check in at the airport, so it doesn't matter. Good thing I thought about this, I suppose, at least.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 9th, 2019, 3:50 pm

I nearly always put my suitcase in the hold, even if it is technically "cabin" sized
I can't be bothered with overhead lockers and a big heavy bag, and if for any reason you get delayed you have to lug all the gear around with you, instead of letting baggage handling do it for you,
I've only once had a hold up in baggage reclaim, in at least 20 years
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2019, 4:10 pm

I will see if I can find a larger bag that will go under my seat and fit the camera in it. That way I can be felxible about whether to use the hold or not on the way back.

My worst baggage reclaim delay was in Cuba. It took about 2 hours. The cynic might say this was the time it took them to look through things. They have a bad rep for that there. However it was more likey that they just couldn't be bothered. Nothing happens fast in Cuba. It took another hour after that queuing up to get some cash.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 9th, 2019, 4:13 pm

I agree Sue, can't see the merit in lugging a case around, even a small one. I've had luggage go missing twice (and soon returned) but that was due to complex transfers onto obscure flights in the USA, not simple flights to Europe.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 9th, 2019, 4:28 pm

It really annoys me when people bring huge wheelie cases (heaps bigger than the front-line 'cabin bag' size) into the cabin. I don't know how they get away with it. Doesn't half take ages to get everything stowed away on a busy flight (and getting off at the other end is an equal pain).

Only once had a bag go missing (it should have gone to Glasgow but randomly went to Iceland :) ).
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 9th, 2019, 5:28 pm

On some US flights you are allowed much bigger cabin cases, and for some reason the person with the biggest case always seems to be the short (think munchkin) woman standing next to me in the aisle looking hopefully up at me. Not a chance I'm putting my back out for her. I'm only 5ft6in (though admittedly with quarterback shoulders)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 9th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Right I am sorted now. I've updated API and checked in, and it turns out that my overnight bag meets the hand/under the seat bag size requirements. I can stuff my camera, extra lens, sandals, some knickers, iPad and my actual 'handbag' in there, if I really need to.

My small suit case will go in the hold, but if I want it in the cabin on the way back that should be ok too.
Of course this means I have a bit more room in my little suitcase. It's funny how it still seems full! (I've not put that much extra in it!) But if I want to bring a few things back there is enough room. This also means I don't have to be quite so stingy with liquids. (A fair bit of the plastic bag is taken up with contact lens paraphernalia.) I was contemplating buying deodorant at the airport.

So calm restored for now and I think I am pretty much ready to go (tomorrow...!) And I have worn myself out so much with all this that just maybe I may sleep ok tonight, even... :?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 10th, 2019, 7:06 am

Morning. Bright and sunny here at the moment. It felt quite cold when husband opened the door to leave. Taxi to station for train to work booked. I leave for Heathrow at noon. :shock: :)

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 10th, 2019, 7:26 am

Have a lovely break Herbi!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 10th, 2019, 7:32 am

Thank you!

I shall probably back on here later!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 10th, 2019, 7:32 am

Good morning
Bright and sunny here for the moment, rather nice from this side of the glass but wind will pick up

Have a good trip Herbi

Not a lot of plans for today but WI tonight

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 10th, 2019, 7:38 am

Have a good trip Herbi 8-)
Bright sunshine here ... OH isn’t at work today so we’re grabbing the chance of a day at the coast ... it’s going to be quite breezy but it may be the last dry day for a while ... we can also visit the butcher Icarus Hines to get a joint for the weekend.
So I’d better finish my :mug: and get into the shower :shock:
Have a good day folks :D
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 10th, 2019, 9:17 am

good morning, all.
overcast but dry - at the moment.
have a good break, herbi, don't eat too many pastel de nata.
nothing planned, thank goodness. don't feel like doing much.
coffee in hand.

ps. hope your day at the coast was relaxing, suffolk.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 11th, 2019, 10:45 am

good morning, all.
it's blowing a bit of a hooley at the moment - i would say more than the met office indicates - and has been all night. it's also predicted to be somewhat 'damp', too.
nothing planned, again, although i should make it out to water my son's chilli plants.
i think my cold is slowly abating. the sore throat and face ache have gone and the cough is winding down but sneezing has started. i think this cold is a bit back to front.
i have an agm to go to tomorrow. the best type to go to. it starts at 10/10.30 , finishes at about 4 has a couple of good speakers, a sociable lunch (supplied by the group so i don't have to think about taking anything) and an agm that tries to be done in record time - probably ten to fifteen minutes at the most straight after the lunch! the most well attended meeting of the year and a good way to get the agm attended. subs are also due.
coffee - hmmmmmm.
have a cosy, day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 11th, 2019, 11:11 am

good morning
Wet, grey and yuk here, with a fair bit of wind
Have achieved very little, since I sat down to do a bit of email stuff and ended up correcting all sorts of things as the PC has downloaded a huge update and lost track of a few things
At least it's done now but must get on,

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 11th, 2019, 11:21 am

Good slightly after morning all :D

Damp and windy here ... I'm in the middle of making a River Cottage Squash and Fennel lasagne ... not made it before but it looks tasty.
It's an indoor day so a bit of reading/writing this afternoon.

Have a good day all.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 11th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Good not morning at all. It’s been quite a long day in spite of a siesta. I’ve walked 15.5km. Lovely weather. Alas it will be cooler tomorrow, then rain on Sunday and Monday. I will need my cardi on Monday too. But today, v comfortable in shorts and a strapping top.

Apartment is nice. Very big, very clean, modern deco but clearly a converted oldish building. (Amazing moulding (sp?) on the ceiling.) location good IMO. Not too touristy.

I am enjoying Lisbon a lot. Now waiting for husband, but his flight only just left. Good thing I had a nap!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Amber » October 11th, 2019, 9:17 pm

Glorious spring ( :? ;) :D ) day here, warm and sunny. Long may it last!
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2019, 6:49 am

Good morning all
Amber ... I’m confused ... are you in the UK? We’ve got autumnal rains for the next week :rolleyes:
I heard yesterday that the outlook for a dear friend I’ve known since childhood, who is in addenbrookes following a stroke and brain bleed, is not good. He’s always been such a life force .... feeling a little bit grim :(
Carpe diem folks
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 12th, 2019, 8:35 am

Good morning
Grey here, we’ve had a little rain overnight and according to the forecast it still is raining and will be for the rest of the day :( Will need to go out as have to buy food.

At least I’m really not worried about having neglected to pre-soak the anemone corms, there’s more risk of them floating away than being too dry

I think Amber is simply north of the current weather front that runs from the south of the Wash to the Severn?

Sorry to hear about your friend Suffolk :hug:

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » October 12th, 2019, 9:00 am

Suffs.... :hug: :hug:

Amber, it's a beautiful day here too. Warm and wall to wall sunshine.... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2019, 9:21 am

Hmmm sunshine would be good :mrgreen:
suffolk
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » October 12th, 2019, 9:58 am

All the best for your friend Suffs.

M-I-L was in Addenbrookes with a brain bleed too :( .
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 12th, 2019, 10:06 am

Thanks folks :hug: ... I know he's getting the best of care ... but it's not looking good.
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » October 12th, 2019, 8:06 pm

That is very sad for you suffs. I am very sorry.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Rainbow » October 12th, 2019, 10:28 pm

:hug: :hug: from me too.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 13th, 2019, 8:59 am

It’s very wet out there, but not actually raining at the moment.
While we were in Cornwall we went to a performance at a tiny little theatre (in an old pilchard shed) and I kept thinking how it was right up J’s street (he’s a producer/director) and was going to tell him all about it when we got home .... so today I’m going to write and tell him all about it ... his family are reading lots to him in the hope that he’s listening.

But that’s enough sad thoughts for today ... onwards and upwards friends :D

Enjoy your Sunday :mug: :hug:
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » October 13th, 2019, 10:18 am

good morning, all.
we are due some sunshine this afternoon - my partner's aiming to make blackberry and apple crumble. it wouldn't cook at the moment.
good meeting yesterday.
i am a little annoyed that i heard the result of the f1, this morning, after tweet of the day. we usually try to avoid the news but the cancelation of qually, yesterday, put me off. never mind, i think it may still be an interesting watch.
i think it's thai-esque curry for dinner, tonight.
coffilepathy is needed, i think.
have a lazy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » October 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

good morning, all.
overcast, a little breezy but not raining at the moment (theoretically, we aren't forecast any at the moment).
nothing planned but i suppose it's time i did some hswk (shudder).
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 14th, 2019, 10:11 am

Good morning
Wet and miserable here, heavier rain forecast for later

Need to get some exercise so it may be a case of walking in the rain

Have a good day everyon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 14th, 2019, 10:38 am

Good morning all

Soggy and boggy here ... OH in the studio, me in the study but got distracted by Ken Bruce playing James Taylor’s Handy Man ... one of my all time favourites. Supper is yesterday’s leftovers, so not a lot that must be done ... just a ‘me’ day.

Have a good day folks.
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 14th, 2019, 1:18 pm

My post disappeared! Got very wet this morning. Set off for art gallery and gave up after ten minutes and got an Uber. Wise move. It’s hot and sunny now!

OH is feeling very poorly. He’s had cold symptoms for the last two days but now is aching all over. Goes without saying he is feeling very sorry for himself but perhaps with some justification.

So I went out on my own and now back at apartment with the invalid. Taxi comes in 2 hours... :o
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » October 15th, 2019, 7:54 am

Morning. Dull and raining here. Basil just came in and shook himself on my like a little dog.

Delayed flight last night so running late and rather tired.

A good break - it feels like ages, which is a always a good sign - apart from poor husband's illness. Will put some thoughts on in on the Lisbon Long weekend thread in case anyone is interested, in due course.

Busybee wrote:Eagerly awaiting your report when you get back Herbi, we go in a couple of weeks. A Monday to Friday half term break (we are going with our teacher friend).

BB

Busybee, I have a metro ticket loaded with two journeys if you would like it. Iit will go to waste otherwise - I suspect it will expire before I go back. Do PM me if you would like me to pop it in the post to you. It might be of use if you wanted to go to the Gulbenkian or the aquarium.
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop