good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2018, 9:48 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a small chance of cloud.
today is wash day, in prep for a trip, so stuff should get dry outside - the first lot is on.
i must remember to give plant watering instruction, too.
my cream tea was good - i didn't overindulge so i don't feel guilty. we were all given a rather nice tin of fudge - the tin is nice, the fudge is excessively sweet but i'm sure it will be used - maybe it would be good made into a caramel sauce for ice-cream - hmmmmm.
can someone remind me to pick up the pot of hops, i'm giving to someone, tomorrow morning please?
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 10:19 am

Good morning
We had a shower or two in the night, but all dried up now, and apparently getting warmer and sunnier
Having a quiet day until the WI AGM later, as have a bit of a medication hangover from my treatment yesterday
Might pop oout and get that hose fitting though
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 11th, 2018, 7:09 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast with a prediction of rain.
Off to the South in an hour so I'd better get a wiggle on.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 11th, 2018, 8:08 am

Sunny but quite cool here. I am off up north this afternoon to cost my mother. Rain is forecast.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 11th, 2018, 8:21 am

Hope you get the right price for her then Herbi ;) :lol:

It seems like it's going to be another lovely day here ... I've got Zumba this morning, then rush home to collect Lucy and take her to the Dog's Trust for lunch.... I hope she settles quietly once we're there, she's hopeless on a lead - need to find out about training :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2018, 9:20 am

Good morning all :D
dry and sunny here ... there are some clouds that look ominous but the Met Office says they won't come to much :)
We have to head down to the Riverside Trading estate to the Big Boots for bits and pieces we need for our holibobs ... then it's a day of finding and charging up spare camera batteries, new satnav etc and making lists ...
Have a lovely day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 12th, 2018, 8:29 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment. off to give watering instruction. best get going. see you later.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 10:51 am

Good morning
So far dry and sunny with a good chance of rain later.
Fortunately predicted to be drier tomorrow when we have a history walk planned
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 13th, 2018, 6:01 am

good morning, all.
i think it may be sunny but it's a tad early to tell through the blind. it rained yesterday afternoon - that wasn't predicted.
we are trying to be off in an hour - i doubt we'll make it. there are a couple of things to do apart from showering.
have a lovely time suffolk, it's meant to be good weather for the next couple of weeks, down here, so you might get a paddle and snooze on the beach in as well.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 13th, 2018, 7:41 am

Good morning
Well we had a deluge yesterday afternoon, rain was predicted but not that much expected
Expected to be dry today, off for a history walk round the Fleet Street area
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 13th, 2018, 8:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Hope you get the right price for her then Herbi ;) :lol:

;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 14th, 2018, 7:10 am

Good morning. It looks nice out. Sunny but breezy. I couldn't decide what to wear, as out tonight and it maybe cold at 9.30pm when I am heading home. Started off in a dress, but switched to (uncharacteristic) jeans. Sandals and a coat (plus other things, of course) would look odd?

Basil (ok and the weekend) kept me awake until about 4am this morning and Lily woke me up at 6...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2018, 8:54 am

Have a good trip Scully ... thanks for the good weather forecast 8-) ... I've just tried my cozzie on and it still fits :tu:

Jobs to do include checking fridges for things likely to breed whilst we're away, cutting OH's hair and waxing my legs ... apart from that we're nearly ready :bounce:

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 15th, 2018, 6:54 am

Good morning, all.
Haven't looked beyond the curtains yet but I think the weather forecast I looked at yesterday still holds.
Another explore today and maybe some food eaten while out - there are plenty of choices.
We have no wifi or tv so I'm having to be careful of my phone's data allowance.
There is now coffee (after a bit of shopping yesterday afternoon) although the water may alter the flavour somewhat.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 7:11 am

Good morning everyone :wave: It's very bright here, so hope the sun keeps shining, although I think it is supposed to be a bot cool today?

My whole routine has been turned on it's head with Lucy coming into my life .. I have been downstairs since 7.15 ... unheard of for me usually, but conscious that Lucy may need to pop out for a comfort break, then her breakfast. I am in the shop today so I need to take her for a walk before we go .. she will be spending the day in the crate specially installed in the shop and she doesn't mind it a bit. Her walk will have tired her out. Yesterday we paid a visit to the village pet parlour and she has now been given a makeover ... she now looks like a puppy with all her locks shorn off. I was hoping this would help with her constant itching/scratching, but seems not :( I will be glad when she gets to the Dog's Trust Vet this week for some dental work and advice. :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 8:59 am

Good morning
Sunny here, forecast is dry with sun and clouds all day
Might walk down to Westfield, thevonly thing I actually need is a roll of baking parchment from Lakeland but exercise and a nose round the shops would be good
Need to get some potting compost and plant up a trough I've got plants for
Need a pic of Lucy looking beautiful!
Hve a goodday everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 9:29 am

StokeySue wrote:Need a pic of Lucy looking beautiful!

Give me a moment ... I took one yesterday but need to upload it to get it on here .... ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Good after-lunch all :D

Nearly ready for our hols ... leaving at sun up on Thursday so packing tomorrow ... today has been cleaning the car and last minute washing and weeding. Just the veg patch to hoe and OH will cut the grass, then we're done ...

Patsy, my Aged Ps had a dog which had some sort of mite allergy ... very itchy ... the vet sorted it out with shampoos and something else but can't for the life of me remember what. It was a lifelong thing but as long as they kept on with the treatment it was fine.

Right ... back to the veg patch ... have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2018, 6:57 am

I have an itchy cat. I think she just has allergies, and reacts particularly badly to flea bites. Every now and again, if it gets really bad, she goes on a brief course of steroids. Hopefully the vet will be able to help, Pat.

it's quite a bit cooler this morning with some rain in the air. I did put swap over a lot of winter for summer wardrobe yesterday...! (but failed to find the 'A list bag of summer things. How could such a big bag of things go missing?)
Eye and contact lens checks at lunch time, then I am off to see the Dream of Geronitus tonight. Apparently I have been pronouncing the 'G' wrong all these years. Not sure I want to adjust to getting it right.
Apart from that, I need to proof read, then get a book on Polar stories to my manager and take in proof reading comments for a version of Treasure Island and send it off to the reading expert. I may be a bit stretched to do all this.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2018, 8:29 am

Good morning
Yes, grey and uninspiring here today but apparently sunny at the weekend and, more significantly the WI stall I am supporting in the cemetery park.
I'm worried about the G now - like Geraint?

Just a day of doing stuff here, as I've been out gallivanting.

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 16th, 2018, 8:48 am

It's supposed to be a hard 'G'. I have always pronounced it as in Geranium, as opposed to Gallivanting... :)

I am not sure I want to change. It's one of my favourite pieces of music...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2018, 9:36 am

Gerontius Gallivanting here but Geraniums would seem to be in good company https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Y-11z5d3M0 :lol:

The last of the chilly days today ... then it's going to be sunshine all the way ......... fingers crossed.
Just the packing to do ... so I'll have another :mug: first ... :mug:

Have a good day everyone :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » May 17th, 2018, 8:54 am

Good morning, all.
The sun is up and the beeb says it's in the low twenties.
We decided not to go out for a meal last night but to watch a DVD with a plate of bread, cheese and tomatoes etc, lying (note - not sitting) on the sofas.
This was not as uneventful as it sounds as mission impossible was interrupted by a domestic of epic proportions from the flat upstairs. The man wandered down the stairs with a wry smile and 'bonsoir' to my partner (who was thinking he may be able to stop 'un crime passionel' - huh!). But it didn't stop there. The high pitched shouting/ screaming continued from the balcony accompanied by planters and pots crashing to the street below, fortunately missing the man but littering car roofs with shards of pottery. Unfortunately we couldn't work out what it was all about as our French was only good enough to pick out the swear words at the speed it was being shrieked at.
We think the police(or les pompiers - do the still do that service?) may have been called to arbitrate.
The wreckage was also cleared away last night.
What fun we are having!- I didn't tell you about the employer/employee dispute we have been asked to write a witness statement for for the bike shop owners, did i? It's all go here - I wonder what the rest of th the holiday will bring.
Have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 17th, 2018, 9:23 am

We have an 18 degree high prediction today. I am wondering if I should force myself to wear sheer tights. I want to wear more summery colours, but not with my usual black opaques... it's not quite warm enough for bare legs and sandals.

Sounds like an... interesting evening, scullion.

The concert I went to was very good and I managed not to cry. The mezzo soprano was someone I worked with years ago when I had a job in a classical music shop. I am sure she wouldn't have remembered me ;) It will be broadcast on Radio 3 at some point.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2018, 9:36 am

Bonjour tout le monde!
Quel brouhaha!

OK I'll stop now but brouhaha is one of my favourite semi onomatopoeic words

The nocturnal noise has more to do with the restoration of downstairs which was flooded when the pipes were frozen

Warm and sunny here so a nice day for pottering on until it's time to go out

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 18th, 2018, 7:03 am

Morning.

It was bright and sunny when I got up at 6.50, but getting a bit overcast now. To wear tights, or not to wear tights...? That is the daily question at the moment.

Quite pleased this morning as I found a bag of clothes I had lost which contains my favourite summer dresses. I obsessing about it so much, I was dreaming about it.

Today is the last day my through train to work runs. From Monday I potentially face a doubled journey length and no seat. Bl**dy 20th May shake up! Not improving services for some of us. But it might not be so bad... trying to be positive today :D It is Friday after all, and I have found my favourite summer dresses.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 18th, 2018, 7:16 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny with a high of 23°c today - how pleasant.
In a little while, when I get up, we are going up to 'les halles', the large covered market built along the lines of the Paris ones, now long gone but beautifully described in 'the fat and the thin' (or 'le ventre de paris') by Emil zola. It closes at one and we came across it on our wanderings, the other day, at about two so we are time tabling it for today. There is also an annual art exhibition going on, this weekend, a hundred or so metres up the road. We have been told the best day to go is Friday (that is today, isn't it?!).
Coffee and a chocolatine call.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 18th, 2018, 8:01 am

Good morning
Enjoy Les Halles. We used to stop at the Bistro des Halles in Vaux le Vicomte on the way from St Malo to Lot et Garonne
Another walk to Stratford today, I ordered a Tilley hat last time and now I have to pick it up
Lovely day for it, just as sunny but less hot, perfect.
Got a lot to do today, so will get on
Have a great day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 19th, 2018, 7:44 am

Good morning. Lovely and sunny here, and quite warm judging from Basil's fur when he came in.

Lots of gardening things to do today, and I am taking delivery of a barbecue. A bit hypocritical of me as I get very cross when people barbecue and my washing is out, but I shall not use it during the day.

I bought this book quite recently:

https://www.amazon.com/Food52-Any-Night ... 1524758965
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 19th, 2018, 8:29 am

Good day
Sunny weather,not too hot peffect breeze
It's Abney Park Sring Fun Day over the road, so I'm setting up the WI stall
We usually get rained off!
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 19th, 2018, 8:43 am

Good morning, all.
Ill fait tres beau, ce matin.
The sun is shining and the temperature, according to the beeb will be 25°c - this may be a conservative estimate as I think yesterday's prediction fell short of the actual temperature yet again - I'm not complaining.
The visit to les halles was a bit of a disappointment but, on the contrary, an early evening walk down the nearest side road, on our way to find the museum, bought us to a, possibly, Arabic area where there were shops full of fruit and veg at far better prices than either the markets or supermarkets that we've been to and closer to UK prices. For example, bananas €2.50 ish per kilo in the 'upper' part, €0.90 per kilo down the road.
We'll be heading that way again in a bit to go to the museum during opening time.
Have a grand day, everyone.

Ps all is back to normal re monsieur 'bonsoir '.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 20th, 2018, 7:24 am

MOrning. Bright and sunny here. We have a 19 degree high predicted but 23/24 for the next week. I would rather have your 25 and be in France though, Scully.

Lots to do to day. Supermarket shop. Garden stuff that's urgent - potting things up, and possibly on. House stuff that's desperate but it won't die, so garden gets priority.

I really ought to do the barbecue. (You can see I am wobbling here.)

We ended up being out all day yesterday. Went to a *massive* garden centre and it's 'sister' place (which had a little wildlife centre - not sure I approve - caged owls etc. plus farm animals and wallabees) in Kent and bought a rather nice little out door table and chair set, and lots of plants, of course.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 20th, 2018, 8:00 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny and warm.
Our walk around yesterday took us to the site of the Roman arena, parts of which can still be seen but the walls of which were obviously use as the foundations for subsequent buildings so looking down from what would have been the gods you can see the shape of the original floor which is now a little park between high buildings.
We then spent a few hours in the musee biterrois. Good museum.
The only complaint I have about this flat is that there is nowhere to sit outside. I could go downstairs to the park but people might frown at my sunbathing - probably not what would be expected in the middle of town.
This evening we have been invited to dinner with the bike shop owners. The means going down a load of stairs, walking ten paces then up a load more stairs. We have bought a bottle of wine - we are supposing that this is also the done thing in france.
Have a sunny sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 20th, 2018, 8:45 am

Good morning
Not as sunny as yesterday but warm and dry
Heading for South Bank, actually to play a league backgammon match but think I'll go a bit earlier and hackve a wonder round and some lunch from the street food market if it's there
I'll also explore the 243 bus route, my U3A colleagues are teaching me the network

Have a good day, wish me luck in the league match
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2018, 6:49 am

Good morning

Bright but a little cloudy. Should brighten up later...

First day of the new trains regime aka no through train to work. New route leaves 10 minutes earlier - or 20 minutes later - so will be setting off before long.

How was the tournament, Sue?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 21st, 2018, 8:06 am

Good morning
It wasn't a tournament, just a couple of London league matches against the same person. Won one, lost one. Quite pleased as that single win means he has won the division, he seems pretty unstoppable. I play someone on Friday for the honour (?) of the wooden spoon. We played in tthe Royal Festival Hall foyer, good place

Today quite sunny but heavy showers threatened. Got loads to do (none of it exciting) then regular monthly tournament tonight.

Have a good day everyone, good luck with the trains Herbi.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 21st, 2018, 8:44 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny and warm.
Yesterday I realised that the back of the flat has shutters so they were closed and the windows left open for the rest of the day and night. We could do that with the front ones but the renovation/remodelling works going on in the street start early - and we don't.
I think that one of the few places we haven't been yet is the big shopping mall. We have been told it's there but as we don't do shopping for the sake of it it may remain unseen.
We walked up to the cathedral yesterday, before going to dinner, it was shut but we did go round the cloister and the associated gardens. Maybe a trip back when it's open.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 21st, 2018, 10:51 am

Interesting you have showers predicted, Sue. None forecast for Sydenham. I hope it doesn't rain, at any rate, as I have a new garden table and chairs I would want to cover.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2018, 8:14 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny.
We are amazed at the speed the Portuguese cobble layers can work. they have transformed a couple of the very large squares in a week.
Today is a day of hswk - an evil necessity that will allow us to use the flat again.
Yesterday evening we were invited for drinks at the house of a language professor. Her French was really easy to understand. The conversation turned to some wedding or other so we weren't really able to contribute anything to that part but brexit also got touched on. An Irish lady there who was at the language school for three weeks said what a disaster it's turning into for ireland, especially the north. This was all carried out in french. We didn't disgrace ourselves.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 22nd, 2018, 9:48 am

Good morning
Was sunny, clouding now, we are again threatened with the showers that never happened yesterday
I will try to get on with the stuff that didn't happen yesterday, I was so tired I didn even go out in the evening as planned but fell asleep on the sofa at 19.30 . Not sure what caused this, I suspect just keeping going through hayfever so bad I've taken antihistamines for longer than usual. Going to try without.

Anyone know if the horse chestnuts have finished floweing yet?

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 22nd, 2018, 1:41 pm

I doubt it. They are in flower here at the moment and just beginning in Cornwall when we left.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 23rd, 2018, 7:10 am

Morning. Overcast and quite cool here today. I am putting my faith in the forecasts wearing a sleeveless top and sandals.

No obligations other than work today (which is admittedly a big one) which is nice. Although perhaps I should top up y raised beds with compost and water in some nematodes. Lots of rain tomorrow, so the bags will get heavy I I don't at least haul them down the garden tonight.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 23rd, 2018, 8:49 am

Good morning
Overcast here
I have loads to do but as the weather will break tomorrow turning warm and wet (according to Carol-on-the-BBC) and I'm out a lot in the next few days, maybe I'll try to pot up a few plants
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 24th, 2018, 5:53 am

Good morning, all.
Weather is ? as I haven't looked beyond the blind.
My body thinks is it's getting on for eight, now, and I woke up nearly an hour ago.
We are going to Cornwall today. It's nice to go on holiday and see new things but it's also nice to go home and be surrounded by familiarity.
Apart from the hour, we will have to get used to the cooler temperature again.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 24th, 2018, 7:17 am

Good morning
The weather has broken, I didn't consciously hear the thunder but I assume that is wahat woke me just before 5. Of course it's wet, we have a nice walk planned

scullion wrote:we will have to get used to the cooler temperature again.

Don't be too sure - it's warm as well as wet here, and in defiance of all the laws of nature we are promised a scorching Bank Holiday Monday (again) :o
Have a good journey and have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 24th, 2018, 8:57 am

We must have had over an inch of rain last night - or at least the deep trays in which my seedlings are had that much in them.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 24th, 2018, 9:38 am

scullion wrote:We are amazed at the speed the Portuguese cobble layers can work. they have transformed a couple of the very large squares in a week.

They could teach our council workers a thing or two! Yesterday I watched a guy in a earth digger maneuvering a kerbing slab with his digger and after about 5 minutes managed to get it into the bucket. He swung around and placed it in a pile about 6 foot away then went back to do another one - changed his mind and reversed and sat in his cab just staring into space! I wanted to go and shout at him to get out of his bl@@dy cab and shift them by hand - it would so much quicker.
I'm sure he's been told to do it this way for H&S reasons!
Rant over!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby scullion » May 25th, 2018, 7:14 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
off to the south coast, i'd better get a move on.
i was disappointed at the state of all my baby plants when i got back. next time i go away i will rig up some sort of automatic watering system - or ask someone else.
ho hum.
better get a move on if i want a cup of coffee before i go.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 25th, 2018, 7:54 am

Good morning
We must have had a storm overnight as it's a bit wet, and I assume that is what woke me at stupid o'clock again
Quite cool and overcast now but warming up later
Need to brush up then head down to Victoria for a league match
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 25th, 2018, 8:05 am

It is a bit dull.
I am going in a Charing Cross behind the scenes tour this afternoon so I won’t be seeing much weather!
Herbidacious
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop