good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

good morning +

Postby scullion » November 28th, 2013, 1:50 pm

good aftermorning, all.
overcast, still and dank - typical November, I think.
I have had a lazy morning so far and intend to continue in that vein for the rest of the day - apart from the little bit of exercise that my brain gets when I meet up with friends for the pub quiz tonight.
I think I hear my partner arrive back- maybe I can squeeze a late lunch out of him!
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » November 28th, 2013, 2:27 pm

scullion wrote:I think I hear my partner arrive back- maybe I can squeeze a late lunch out of him!

Yes, why not?

Happy new thread!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 28th, 2013, 2:29 pm

That's the way to do it.

We had champagne weather this morning. Blue skies, and pretty cold at -5℃ overnight.

So we stayed in. Jacquie made mince pies for a party some friends are giving soon and I made a half batch of Lemon Marmalade.
--
All the best
Ian
http://www.souvigne.com
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » November 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Afternoon

We have champagne weather here too Ian but -4C last night and snow yesterday. Ventoux is completely covered and there is snow on the grand Luberon and the Plateau.

The locals say if it this cold so early it won't last, Mmmmmmmmmmm.

I rehung the dining room curtains having washed all x kilometers of them and taking 2½hours to iron them. The trangle (pole) was specially made by a blacksmith and weighs a ton and a half so it takes three people to do it. For this reason they don't get washed as often as they possibly should!

The wisteria leaves are finally falling so him outside is out sweeping up today's lot,
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » November 28th, 2013, 3:17 pm

We are very lucky here, I have only had to de-ice the car once since the beginning of the month - it is surprisingly mild for the time of year, not falling much below 3c during the night.

We did have sunshine, although fleetingly at lunchtime, in a couple of weeks time it won't be light until 9am :shock:

Edited to say that when we left for work this morning it was 7.5c 8-)
Last edited by ShotleyGirl on November 28th, 2013, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 28th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Hi again,
Ratatouille wrote:entoux is completely covered and there is snow on the grand Luberon and the Plateau.
Yesterday was a triumph of stupidity for me. We came back via the local high point "La Roche de Vic", no that high at 600m but still higher than anywhere within 40 km or so. Anyway on the way back down to lunch, we got the most spectacular view of the Plomb du Cantal, and its foothills entirely snow covered. Not only that, but the air was crystal clear, so it felt as if it was only a hop and a skip away (actually some 100km). We agreed we'd come out after lunch to photograph it, because it was an extraordinarily clear view. I thought to myself that if we left it a little later, we could get the golden hints of the sinking sun on it, so we finally left at about 3.45. By the time we got up there, it was clear that I'd made a misjudgement, because there was a little haze, so they weren't anything like as spectatular, though lovely all the same. So I set up the camera and tripod and started shooting. Very odd message "this image will be saved to internal memory" Yup, I'd forgotten to put the memory card in. Jacquie said that the weather forecast was for another crisp day today, so we left the tripod extended, popped it into the car and came back down home again. When I looked for the one photo I had managed to take, I found that it couldn't be saved because it was too big for the capacity.

This morning, when we got up and got going, we found that in fact the day was too hazy for a clear view and I'd blown it, GRRR.

Sigh.
--
All the best
Ian
The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » November 29th, 2013, 10:06 am

Morning all, its raining, windy and very grey here
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » November 29th, 2013, 10:17 am

GREY, GREY, GREY here

TGIF!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » November 29th, 2013, 10:35 am

Champagne weather here. BRIGHT blue skies and sun. Really cold.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » November 29th, 2013, 11:41 am

Good morning, all.
The sun is shining at the moment, there's a bit of a breeze and I have just lost the post I had written due to being timed out - my mother called. Maybe I will re-write it later this afternoon - when I have re-gained my strength and composure!
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » November 30th, 2013, 9:57 am

Good morning all :D

Scully, hope you're both having a good Celebratory Weekend :cocktail: :cocktail: :plink:

Overcast here today - it was windy yesterday and very windy last night - it woke me so it must've been loud - the last of the leaves have fallen from our big ash trees, so if I feel like a little exercise I might get the rake out - however, for the first time in ages and ages I've woken with a strong urge to do some drawing - looks like I might be finding the REAL ME again :bounce: 8-)

So most other work will be put on hold for today - I shall give in to the urge ;)

Have a good day everyone :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » November 30th, 2013, 1:05 pm

good whatever, all.
the sun is shining, there's a slight breeze and washing is on the line as the forecast is for a dry day.
I haven't seen our pretty cat since last Tuesday morning. I am rather concerned as she was breathing/purring in a strange way but disappeared into the garden before I could get the cat basket out and whisk her off to the vet - before my partner went up country with the car. hopefully she is sleeping it off somewhere and will return in a short while, back to normal. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
glad your pencil based mojo is returning, Suffolk. i wish mine would!
as for the weekend, we have an envelope to open tomorrow afternoon from our daughter - we are waiting, but not very patiently.
have a lovely afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 1st, 2013, 8:09 am

Mojo may have returned Scully, but much more practice needed :oops:

Hope you both have a brilliant celebration :cocktail: :cocktail:

Plans for today include unpicking the bit of sewing up I did yesterday that I'm not happy with :(

Filing yet more paperwork from the DWP - some for Ma, some for Pa and some for me!!!

Have a lovely day everyone :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 2nd, 2013, 11:20 am

Good morning, all.
Thick overcast making it rather dark inside, quite still and not that chilly.
We had a box at the cinema last night, with a glass of wine brought to us at the start of the film. How swish, eh?
I am rather glad that it's a fast day today - there has been rather a lot of feasting over the weekend.
The petty cat has still not come home. I know it's only been 6 days, and she has been gone for a month before now, but this seems different.
Oh we'll, must get on, have a good day, everyone.

Ps don't you hate it when the phone thinks it knows what you really want to say and overrides you?!
Last edited by scullion on December 2nd, 2013, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby nursemimi » December 2nd, 2013, 12:34 pm

Morning all from a dark foggy Oklahoma it is very thick here this morning.
I agree with Scullion glad it is a fast day way to much rich food over the last few days.

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 4th, 2013, 5:58 am

It's an early start here as my body clock has forgotten I've retired :roll: It appears to have been dry overnight and the wind has dropped - it seems very still outside but there's a robin singing in the bushes under a street light.

Today's mission is to finish organising the heap of paperwork that I took out of the bureau and left on the dining table yesterday. When that's done I shall try to organise some space in the freezer for Christmas. I shall then look at the crate of alcohol in the garage and see if we need to buy more than a couple of bottles for Christmas.

I think that's enough for one day don't you?

Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 4th, 2013, 8:11 am

There's a piie pf paperwork on my dining table you can tackle when you've done that lot Suffs

Actually, it's less than I thought when i was eyeing it up before I started

Grey here

On the phone all day teleconferencing, then eye treatment this evening

But I checked my booze supplies on Sunday

"Healthy" is the word following the France trip :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 4th, 2013, 11:34 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast and dull with a slight breeze. according to the forecast it should be clear blue skies in an hour.
Well the birthday season is over and my partner and I are another year older - that would make us in our twenties - or early dotage - take your pick.
Nothing much is planned for today apart from band practice, tonight, and avoiding the box of brownies I made yesterday (it's our other fast day). Roll on tomorrow, when again, nothing much is planned but when the brownie box is back in play!
Have fun with your paperwork, girls.
Have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 5th, 2013, 11:16 am

It was grey here to start with but now brilliantly sunny :D

Guess the wind has blown away the clouds

Good luck to anyone likely to struggle with the severe winds; I think we are only expecting them at "bracing" level (not sure where that is in the Beaufort scale) here on London

The cat has just spent 20 minutes having a violent battle with a chair leg :?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 5th, 2013, 11:25 am

Good morning all - hanging onto our hats over here - hope all you up North have your hatches battened down and your hot water bottles filled!!!

I'm heading down south in a bit to visit the Aged Ps - they need a visit - Pa sounded a bit down yesterday so I promised I'd go today - I think I'd rather go today than tomorrow from the sounds of things - getting colder overnight and possible flooding with the Spring tide this evening - I'll get home before dark today.

Take care everyone and have a good day :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 5th, 2013, 11:34 am

Good morning, all.
Cloudy and sunny, and a bit breezy.
One of the drummers was late to practice last night. She said it was because her car was iced up. She only lives about fifteen or so miles further up the county ( well, more along county, really) which is also more inland. When we left practice the car 'said' it was 4*c. During the winter it is often very obvious, down here, how coastal proximity affects temperature. I have left Falmouth when the car indicates 7*c, driven on the road which heads almost straight north, with the temperature dropping down to 2*c and rising back to 6 or 7*c by the time I have got home.
I do miss snow, though. I suppose you can't have everything.
Have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2013, 10:50 am

Good morning, emails and females.
Big, grey, almost joined up clouds with shafts of sun in the gaps. Very little breeze and not cold - but then I am indoors so hardly surprising, is it?
Were the ancients more intelligent than we are? The homes they built on marshy and floodable land were built on stilts. I understand that this is extreme flooding, down our eastern coast, but maybe we should take a leaf out of their book and start building 'pole houses' on flood plains. I met some people, once, who had built an 'underground' house. They came home after a holiday (or something like that) to find it flooded. Checking on the water-table depth as well as flood plains is also a good idea when you're considering building.
I hope none of you are suffering with the flooding.
Have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2013, 11:11 am

Was lovely here for 30 minutes, now clouding over

Not much wind around

Will try for a walk later & see if I get soaked again
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 6th, 2013, 11:15 am

You've recovered from getting lashed then?!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 6th, 2013, 11:17 am

scullion wrote:You've recovered from getting lashed then?!

:P
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 6th, 2013, 11:26 am

Good morning all :D My family are all ok although some are cut off. One of the biggest problems will be the salt damage to arable land caused by seawater flooding.

Bright sunshine and blue skies here, but very cold and blustery.

Am setting off to do some shopping now - have a good day folks and stay safe :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2013, 7:14 am

Good morning all :D My body clock is still thinking I have to get up at 5.30 - I'm trying to reset it but going to bed early last night didn't help :roll:

Today I shall finish the cards and ................... make more lists ............... cook supper ...........knit.

Think that's enough for one day.

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » December 8th, 2013, 8:34 am

suffolk wrote:I'm trying to reset it but going to bed early last night didn't help :roll:
It doesn't, does it? All that happens is that you lie awake an age and STILL wake up at the same time.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2013, 8:38 am

I slept soundly from 9.30 ish, then woke at 5 :roll:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby ianinfrance » December 8th, 2013, 9:57 am

Goodness me I completely misunderstood sorry. Best way to stay asleep longer is to go to bed later. Mind you..... I've seen your sig fairly late from time to time, so it looks as if you're trying.

I was more thinking in terms to going to bed earlier to try to catch up on sleep, which leads to the scenario I described.
--
All the best
Ian
ianinfrance
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » December 8th, 2013, 10:05 am

My problem is that all the time I was working I was so kn@ckered at the end of the day I was frequently asleep on the sofa by 8.30 - absolutely nothing I could do about it - I'm stay awake longer most evenings now, but sometimes, like yesterday, I was completely zonked. I'm sure it'll come in time - I remember when the children were small I was still up until 2 or 3am, painting or writing - then to bed for a few hours and up to get hub off to work and deal with the little ones.

OH suggests that afternoon naps may be the way forward - I shall have to try 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 8th, 2013, 10:59 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast and still. Unlike up-country we have had no rain for quite a while.
As we are now a way into December i have put my big tubs of strelizias ( which have flower spikes coming through ) into the greenhouse and brought the lemon tree into the porch.
I have the opposite problem (?): I don't get to sleep until late - usually cos I drop off for five minutes on the sofa when I really should be going to bed and I'm then wide awake 'til the wee hours. It does mean I'm not a lark! - but it also means that when I need to get up early I just go to bed at the time I would most likely sofa snooze.
We are off to a place , tomorrow, which my partner thinks is called 'stoney', to stay with my brother:It's not but I'm sure you could make a good guess. This is being combined with a visit to the mother, a night with our daughter and the unirun on the way home. That's four birds with one stone - if I was the stone throwing type.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » December 9th, 2013, 11:42 am

good morning all.
blue sky with the odd white lump. can't tell if there's any wind but i don't think so and, according to the car, it's 10*c.
just passing dartmoor and blowing it a kiss from uschi.
there isn't much on the cards today other than sitting here (car not dartmoor) for the rest of the daylight hours.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 9th, 2013, 12:22 pm

Lovely day here too

Christmas tree has arrived, picture has been taken to framers. work is going down well

Off for hair cut soon, then WI Christmas knees up tonight; dress code is tacky Xmas sweaters, I don't have one so will wear silvery knitted tunic over red jeans, and silly Xmas earrings

Have a good round trip scully
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » December 10th, 2013, 10:11 am

Good morning, all.
I don't know what the weather's like - the blind is still draw, and I'm in bed-fordshire.
I can hear a cup of coffee will be brought to me soon - or there again I may be summoned to the coffee. Either is ok really .
I think i will be having my first venture into a Costco this afternoon: I will then know what others are going on about!
My other activity, today, will be holding my brother's hand through the process of making pasta ( he has bought himself a machine) .
Coffee is arriving, have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 10th, 2013, 10:15 am

:mug: :mug: Good morning Scully and everyone - give my love to Bedfordshire :D

Don't know about your weather, but it's quite misty here - I'm at home today waiting in for some deliveries and pickling and doing other pre-festivity stuff.

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » December 10th, 2013, 10:37 am

Morning peeps. Chilly but sunny today.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby ShotleyGirl » December 10th, 2013, 11:27 am

Good morning (just) bright, sunny and very mild here - 12c now 8-)
Laughter is brightest where food is best - Irish Proverb
ShotleyGirl
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 10th, 2013, 12:27 pm

Fog which had frozen onto the windscreen at 8 am but already 3 deg Caccording to the car

Clearing nicely now, will venture into town, need to go to Boots
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 11th, 2013, 8:18 am

Good morning all :D Foggy here today - it was a bit foggy yesterday too - it cleared for about an hour of bright blue skies and sunshine about 1pm, then got all foggy again - I imagine it'll do the same today.

Today is a day of sorting, tidying, list making etc, while Oven nu come and do whatever they do to the cooker to make it look brand new. The oven was almost new when we moved in but don't think the chap had ever cleaned it, and what with one thing and another I've not had time until now, and now that I've retired I've gone and done my knee in again so kneeling to get to the back of the oven isn't on at the moment - I did think about waiting until after the Christmas roasting, but by then my knee will be ok to give the oven a good wipe out with hot soapy water, so I've decided to have it professionally done today - then I'll be able to see through the glass in the door :oops:

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 11th, 2013, 11:22 am

Dense dank fog slowly ceasing here

Seasonal sniffle snivelling

Otherwise - pretty good! :D

Goven up on the stove - replacing it as soon a money moved around (i.ee, after Chrimbo)

Mind you it is 22 years old!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 12th, 2013, 6:22 am

Good morning all :D Sparkly frost out there this morning.

Oven gleaming like a new pin - very impressed. 8-)

BP and thyroid level check at the GPs today - then I'll pop into the city for a few more bits and pieces - will be going on the bus as there's no chance of parking anywhere! Yes, I'll be careful re my knee!!! :D

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 12th, 2013, 9:53 am

Best wishes for the check up Suffs

Foggy agin but less so here 0- very patchy

Lots of really dull w**k to do but Book Club tonight; Alice Munro's Dear Life, I don't usually like short stores but these are wonderful, not surprised they gave her the Nobel :kneel:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 12th, 2013, 1:28 pm

Cheers Sue, BP not brill :roll: but I know that I need to get fitter and now I'm not working I've got the chance so New Year's Resolution is - walking, walking and more walking - I always used to walk - until Pa had his fall - now I'll start again.

Alice Munro :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 14th, 2013, 6:56 am

Good morning all :D The day of the London Meet has dawned and I'm up bright and early and have my :mug: In a few mins I'll have my shower and put some clothes and a bit of slap on and wait for my cab - I'll get a bacon roll at the station (I like to get to the station in plenty of time to allow for such things).

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 14th, 2013, 10:26 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny Oxfordshire with a little hazy cloud and singing birds.
I couldn't seem to log on here for the last few days - maybe Bedfordshire is like that or bt doesn't like phones!
We are off to the Isis farmhouse for an early lunch, in a while, before the next step of our world ( ok, country ) tour to pick up the son from uni and winging our way home tomorrow.
I'm beginning to feel that it may be Christmas soon. My brother had put up most of his decorations (leaving a few for me to help him with - a memory lane trip making chains - the modern version with which you no longer have to fill your mouth with the taste of glue), and last night I slept next to a rather beautiful, ten foot tree. There will be no such festivity at our son's term time abode ( or clean linen - I am borrowing from our daughter to return them at Christmas when they visit us).
Can someone tell me why my phone thinks I want to say ' mosh' when I type in 'most' and what is a tourtière? - which it also seems to think I meant to have written!
I do hope you have a grand meet: I'll raise you all a glass as I have lunch.
A grand day to everyone else, too.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » December 15th, 2013, 9:48 am

lovely sunny day here in London

May walk to Islington & see if I can get a tree topper in Gill Wing before decorating the tree
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 15th, 2013, 9:51 am

Good morning all :D Lovely sunny day here too! Had better get on with everything that needs to be done - there seems to be a lot of it!!!

Have a lovely day folks!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » December 17th, 2013, 11:22 am

Good morning, all.
It's sunny and blue with little breeze.
I wrote a long post yesterday morning which was timed out - no, it wasn't that long, my son came and chatted to me and I forgot to do a copy before submitting. I'll try to remember what I had written but I sure you'd not miss it if I don't!
Firstly, it sounds like there was a good time had by all at the meet, glad it went well.
I had my first visit to a Costco while away: now I know what people are going on about. My partner is eligible for a card (along with the rest of the population by the looks of it) but as the closest to us is up in Bristol there doesn't seem much point getting one - plus we don't have enough storage space and we'd get fat on florentines and croissants.
I was given a 'greenpan' wok while at my brother's, I will let you know good it is after I've used it a few times. I like the idea of having non-stick without teflon, I can now replace one of mine that has started flaking.
I think I will end the post here just in case I get distracted again ( I can smell a cup of coffee being made for me).
I'm sorry if my phone has re-jigged my words but I can't be bothered to read back (although I did correct jigged from jogged).
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » December 17th, 2013, 11:43 am

Wrapping of birthday presents and making of ice creams going on here today.

Have a lovely day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop