good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2017, 12:15 am

Thanks for the analysis, I won't machine wash

Yes they are the Riad bowls, but I am surprised they are described as crackle glazed, no trace of crackle on mine, the glaze is completely uniform on the outside, and the pattern on th inside is formed by the coloured glaze settling in the relief design

It's not a crackl
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2017, 10:03 am

Good morning all :D
A bitterly chill wind is making buffeting sounds in the chimney - not going to do any gardening in that - although the bright sunshine and all the spring flowers make it look tempting from here.
I think a chicken and leek pie is on the cards.
Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 21st, 2017, 10:19 am

Morning, we have blue sky and sunshine but the breeze is quite chilly, spring has sprung. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2017, 10:23 am

good morning, all.
sunny at the moment and the breeze has dropped.
we are off to the big (little), bad (quite well behaved, really) city (it may be small but it does have a cathedral) after lunch. i'm on a quest for a zip and candlesticks - as many brass ones as possible for as little money as possible. a round of the charity shops is on the cards, i'm not sure that there are any antique, curio, junk shops in truro - there always seemed to be lots of shoe shops and jewellers in truro but i think they've been taken over by coffee shops - there won't be many candlesticks in those.
the zip will be easy.
the sun is still shining.
have a good day everyone.

ps. the bowl may crackle over time, sue, some glazes take their time!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2017, 4:55 pm

scullion wrote:after lunch. i'm on a quest for a zip and candlesticks - as many brass ones as possible for as little money as possible. a round of the charity shops is on the cards, i'm not sure that there are any antique, curio, junk shops in truro -

I suppose August is too long to wait for the candlesticks ? We have several pairs in the shop ... :rolleyes: (whistle smiley ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 21st, 2017, 6:06 pm

unfortunately, yes, they are needed for june - what are they like and how cheap are they‽‽‽
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 21st, 2017, 6:25 pm

Evening
Went out to a U3A talk on the early development of the tube, rather good, took an unusual view
Been dossing since (it was a long walk)
Have a good evening
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 21st, 2017, 6:56 pm

[quote="scullion"]unfortunately, yes, they are needed for june - what are they like and how cheap are they‽‽‽[quote="scullion"]

I'm back in the shop on Thursday - can photo them for you and let you know the prices .. They certainly won't break the bank ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 22nd, 2017, 9:46 am

good morning, all.
bright at the moment but not quite sunny.
thanks, patsy, that's very good of you . i have to warn you that my daughter has told me off for spending more than three pounds each (i paid eight pounds for a pair, whereas my partner found a pair for four pounds fifty - he didn't get told off). she has set herself this limit as she says she can hire them for that and so far has picked up quite a few at that price already (with free postage or pickable-up by friends).
we are having a trip out to falmouth today i think, well, that was the idea last night but we don't seem to be in that much of a hurry and i'm minibus driving tonight.
the telepathy method is being bought into play - maybe that will spur things on a bit. coffee - coffee - coffee - i'll keep trying.
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 22nd, 2017, 10:26 am

Morning all! I've been offline for a few days as I was away in Bristol for a short break. Bucketed with rain most of the time and now I seem to have brought it back to London. Warning of cold weather to come too - brrr! Think I heard it was snowing in Scotland.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 22nd, 2017, 10:52 am

Good morning
Wet here but not very
Have to see th ophthalmologist later so will potter around indoors until I go out
The definitive wet Wednesday? :D
Enjoy your day.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2017, 11:25 am

The idea of tennis has been abandoned as I'm waiting at home for Green Flag to arrive and speak sternly to my car ... it seems to think that one outing a day is enough and is now refusing to start :rolleyes:
I shall put the kettle on ...
Have a better day than I'm having folks! ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 23rd, 2017, 8:48 am

good morning, all.
overcastly bright. it's meant to be sunny this morning with cloud and showers this afternoon. i will be inside until this afternoon.
a telegraph pole is being replaced (or something like that) in our garden today so the electricity is going off. i won't be here - i have a meeting to go to. i would imagine a coffee will be taken after the meeting, with a discussion to dissect the proceedings.
tomorrow will be a 'better' day as we have been invited to dinner by a friend who was le cordon bleu trained. that - i'm looking forward to.
have a good/safe/uninteresting (chose your adjective) day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 23rd, 2017, 11:21 am

Good morning
Just woken up having slept off yesterday's eye treatment
Bright with clouds here too, will drink some coffee, feed the cat and decide what to do with the afternoon, which must involve some food shopping, so maybe I will do that first and see how I feel
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 24th, 2017, 8:45 am

good morning, all.
overcast. i won't say what the prediction is cos it changes too much and doesn't match up anyway.
the dissection was over chips and a betty stoggs. i hope it pans out ok.

we didn't go to falmouth the other day, we're going today in about an hour - i suppose i should get ready!
i have just been handed a nearly cold cup of coffee - i think he must have been distracted half way through making it.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 24th, 2017, 8:51 am

There has been a coffee catastrophe in the kitchen (see Cbox) :shock:
I shall have to visit Wrose to buy another storage jar and coffee supplies ........... this gives me the opportunity to change the menu for this evening as I have a hankering for ham, egg & chips ... no idea why but it's becoming an imperative ..... :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 24th, 2017, 11:20 am

Good morning
Cool, grey, but dry here, might walk to the wetlands centre and have a look at it
That's when the cat allows me to stand up :D
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 25th, 2017, 10:00 am

Good morning :wave:

Hopefully it's going to turn out nice and sunny like yesterday ... I have external jobs to do :!:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2017, 10:31 am

good morning, all.
sunny, with a prediction of sunny. a couple of loads of washing will be done - after coffee.
a falfalafel was partaken of yesterday lunchtime. it was a good idea as i was able to eat in a more ladylike fashion at the meal we were invited to in the evening rather than stuffing my face. the downside was the delayed effect that needed to be controlled/contained until we'd left.

unfortunately the result of the meeting did not go as hoped and will have unforeseen repercussions on the perpetrators. i hope the decision is not regretted.

there is no substitute for good coffee.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2017, 8:46 am

good morning, all.
sunny and a bit breezy.
off to the community garden in a little while.
mothering sunday was cancelled due to a hospital shift. whether this was a feint i don't know - the year before last we were invited for coffee at the beach by one lot of young to find that the other lot of young had come down to join us, too. it was a lovely surprise. it could happen again but maybe not.
i'd better go and put the kettle on if i want a coffee before we go.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby andipandi » March 26th, 2017, 9:04 am

Morning everyone. It's sunny here but windy. I forgot about the clocks so I I've missed breakfast. I will go to the local cafe for brunch and then hit the supermarket.
andipandi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2017, 10:47 am

Good morning
Sunny again here, so will plant the seeds I didn't get to yesterday
Went for a nice walk and ended up at the Independent Ceramics Market run by my former neighbour, so of course I ended up buying a bowl jug and a little vase from Limehouse Ceramics
Will try not to spend any money today
Have a good day everyone, especially if you are doing something for Mothering Sunday
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2017, 11:57 am

Good after morning all :D

So far Mothering Sunday has been taken up with :mug: , phone calls from offsprung, and a trip to the GC to pick up bags of mulch, twine, birthday cards .............. and a couple of pulmonaria which hurled themselves into my trolley when I wasn't looking :oops:

Now for more :mug: and gardening :D

Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 27th, 2017, 8:24 am

good morning, all.
sunny. we are predicted to have a repeat of yesterday - cloudless blue and warm all the way until sundown, at nearly eight o'clock.
my partner came in from the garden yesterday evening marvelling over the fact that the path to the back door was not wet and muddy, as it has been for longer than we can remember - maybe since last year (or so it seems).
we have a meeting to go to in helston this evening (about legumes) so are going over early to check charity and junk shops. - we have had it drummed into us again (unnecessarily) that we are to spend no more than three pounds for each.
i was searching, online, last night for recommendations for the best stringless runner bean. one of the first items i read was by suffolk from a few years ago. i didn't realise it was her until i checked back to see where in the world the poster was from. i'll be looking for seeds, today, too. i should have thought about it when we were at trago on friday.
a coffee has just been handed to me.
have another glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby andipandi » March 27th, 2017, 8:32 am

Good morning

Grey here but not cold. It looks like it might cheer up later.
andipandi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2017, 10:01 am

Good morning
cloudy but dry and less windy
I got my seeds planted yesterday, and was very pleased with my mini propagator put together from a mushroom punnet, a sheet of clear plastic and four mini bulldog clips :D
However I had less seeds than I thought, so that's today's walk to get more
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 28th, 2017, 8:55 am

Morning everyone! Gorgeous weather here again today. I was up bright and early and doing some gardening. I've deadheaded a load of daffodils. My wallflowers are blooming and everything is full of buds. Big fat purple buds on the magnolia - I love the way they turn cream as they open. I think I will have my morning :mug: outside in the sun!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 28th, 2017, 8:58 am

Good morning
Seeds successfully obtained yesterday, apart form the herb Savoury, which they don't stock, apparently no demand for it
We were threatened with thunderstorms today, but now just cloud, so will try for a walk later
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 28th, 2017, 10:47 am

good morning, all.
overcast and breezy. i don't hold out hope for continuing dryness.
the talk last night was very interesting. i'm not sure that it fitted in with the other's preconceptions but after the same woman's talk on bread and gut health my partner and i thought it would be a lot more scientific.
rather than the 'how to grow good peas and beans' sort of talk, it was concerned more with the use of appropriate leguminous plants in agriculture, with their differing pet bacteria, for soil fertility in different temperatures and wetness. it bought in the use of herbal leys, six or more years crop rotation and how the use of many legumes are only effective as a nitrogen fixer over a two or more year period and therefore useless to the gardner - especially if they are also using manure.
she also spoke of some of the work being done by a couple of her phd students on the temperature effects on pollen, which was again very interesting and, simplistically, had to do with the fact that although most/many peas and beans are self fertile, if the temperature in a greenhouse goes too high (30°c and over) the pollen will be denatured, and will then need a bee to take pollen from flowers unaffected by a spell of high temperatures to pollenate the flowers that have had their pollen denatured. it was of course far more involved than that but i think that is one of the things that many of the group, as organic gardeners, will take away from the talk.
the way you can tell if your nodules have the bacteria for nitrogen fixing is by breaking them open - they immediately stain red in the presence of oxygen if the bacteria are there - it does good to check your nodules occasionally.
i'm sending the vibes for a cup of coffee.
have a good day, everyone.

ps - the magnolia will soon be over, here, - different varieties have been out since just after christmas - azalea and rhodo'spit' season is starting.
there's a wonderful walk at lanhydrock (the national trust house used in the film version of twelfth night) that goes through a long arch and walkway that is just a blizzard of small magnolia flowers, just beautiful. there doesn't seem to be a photo if you google it - i'll have to look out one of mine.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2017, 11:09 am

I have used the time waiting for the fog to lift usefully by writing, in words of one syllable and using simple arithmetic, to the solicitors dealing with the Aged Ps' estates, explaining what was discussed and agreed with them last time I visited their offices :rolleyes: and expressing my hopes for a speedy resolution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the fog has lifted and I need to weed and spread mulch.

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 28th, 2017, 11:13 am

you should also point out that if they send you a letter containing wrong information/details and that you then have to write correcting it then you don't feel that you should be charged for both theirs and your letter! good luck!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2017, 11:41 am

Although we first visited their office in July, we have yet to see a copy of, or receive and sign their T&Cs etc, so whatever the bill turns out to be I expect to be haggling :x :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 28th, 2017, 1:48 pm

i was not a happy bunny when they charged £34 each to just read the letters i had written correcting their mistake in the address (twice) and another mistake on a couple of forms they sent to us, also at a cost of £34 each. in the end i went into the office in person to do that sort of thing to point out to the secretary the mistakes so it would, hopefully, not happen again.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2017, 6:30 pm

We fully expect to be querying their bill ........... we've been messed about, different people doing the work, long delays etc ......... if we hadn't had other family stuff going on when Ma died I'd have done it all myself .... after all, I used to work for a solicitor .... it was a while ago but things haven't changed that much.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby andipandi » March 29th, 2017, 8:42 am

Good morning everyone

It's overcast and a bit chillier than yesterday. I was going to hang some washing out but I think it might be a wasted exercise.
andipandi
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 30th, 2017, 8:59 am

Good morning! (or maybe not so good as I had to clear up my neighbours cat poo from the lawn!). I always thought cats went on soil but this one seems to like doing it on the grass...at least it's easily visible! Somewhere in the shed there is some cat "repellant". I'll have to dig it out (pardon the pun..!)
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 30th, 2017, 9:53 am

Good morning
warm here but not so far as sunny as expected
Must get moving
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 30th, 2017, 10:07 am

cooksalot wrote:Good morning! (or maybe not so good as I had to clear up my neighbours cat poo from the lawn!). I always thought cats went on soil but this one seems to like doing it on the grass...at least it's easily visible! Somewhere in the shed there is some cat "repellant". I'll have to dig it out (pardon the pun..!)

Male cat marking his territory?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 30th, 2017, 10:09 am

Good morning :D
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the birds are singing ................. and someone has decided that today is the day they'll dig up the surrounding roads and investigate the longstanding leak :rolleyes: ........................ nevertheless, I'm going out to play in the garden :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 30th, 2017, 10:45 am

good morning, all.
the sun is trying to come out - it didn't bother yesterday.
i think it must be that cats have licked enough mud off their paws this winter as our cats have been poo-ing on the grass, too. however i also blame my partner as he has allowed the grass to start looking like the field next door, which is their historical 'dumping ground' (when they're not taking the easy way out and trying to take advantage of the less arduous digging in the veg plots).
we were out quite early yesterday - well, for us - we had a couple of things to do down on the south coast so took in a coffee at the yacht club. this is not as exclusive a venue as it sounds. it opens its clubroom as a bar and coffee shop during the day to the general public. it also sells a limited menu of three or four things like a ploughman's, a quiche and coleslaw and a triple decker sandwich - all done very well, decent sized portions and costing about a fiver each - and a decent cappuccino for about £1.75.
the venue overlooks the fal, and the marina, slipway and boat store of the club and you can sit in a leather sofa and watch the view for as long as you like - or until your car-park ticket runs out.
it's more to our taste than that posy chain of chippies over the other side of the slipway on the millennium square.
there is another of those in porthleven - but we sat out over the other side of the harbour in the sunshine on the harbour wall, with a coffee from the pub, when we were there on monday before the meeting in helston.
tonight is the start of the summer stint at the community garden. it's back to a lie in on a sunday morning.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 31st, 2017, 9:06 am

good morning, all.
mixed weather so far (not snow). a bit breezy.
dentist later for a replacement filling.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 31st, 2017, 10:08 am

Good morning
Grey and uninteresting here, weather wise
Just need to tidy up a bit
Good luck with the dentist scully, have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 31st, 2017, 10:08 am

Good morning ... Since I succumbed to one of those virus thingy's a couple of weeks ago I am still feeling a bit lethargic. I went deaf in my right ear over a week ago.. I was first diagnosed with an outer ear infection, but after a week and with no improvement at all, a different Doc reckons I have a couple of perforations of my ear drum :( :o :shock: ~So now I have a steroid nasal spray and instructions to keep it dry until it heals. :( It is most disconcerting (would 'discombobulating' fit in this this case ;) :?: ) - when I talk I feel like I have my head under water .. I can't tell how loud I am speaking and only able to use one hearing aid now, it is quite incapacitating holding a conversation with anyone :rolleyes: . I haven't been to Zumba and Fitsteps for more than 2 weeks now - hope I don't seize up :!: :lol: I have a couple of errands to do today, but will enjoy pottering about in the garden - a solitary pastime :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 31st, 2017, 10:27 am

Morning! Very grey here too...
suffolk wrote:Male cat marking his territory?

That may be it. He is a boy cat! We do like him and enjoy his visits but could do without his leaving presents. :rolleyes:
cooksalot
Registered

Postby scullion » March 31st, 2017, 10:48 am

that theory wouldn't work for us - it's our female cats doing it in our garden, the male takes himself off somewhere else (i think).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » April 1st, 2017, 9:30 am

good morning, all.
the sun is shining for the moment. i should be up and getting ready to go out but i went back to sleep again so i'm now unrepentantly tardy and will have to rush around in a bit. - or i'll just be a bit late to the meeting i'm going to.
i picked up some seeds from a friend yesterday - long beans and a type of okra which is known as a (insert the number of digits on one hand here) fingered one. i won't put its name here as there are very few references on google for it and i don't want people to come here thinking they'll get growing advice. mind you, if they can give advice that's a different matter.
now i must get up.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 1st, 2017, 10:17 am

Good morning
Quite bright here but not expected to last
Must get moving, off to my friend's for dinner later will plant my Savory first
Have a good weekend everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 2nd, 2017, 10:04 am

good morning, all.
sunny patches and brightening.
i'm listening to the archers and and it suddenly occurred to me that all the cattle disease is vengeance being wreaked by rob in some way - maybe - wouldn't put it past him!
meeting to go to this afternoon.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 2nd, 2017, 10:21 am

Good morning all
Sunny here too ........... I was wondering whether there was a Berrow Farm connection???
Going back outside ........ have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 3rd, 2017, 8:03 am

Good morning ! :wave: Oooh, I've beaten Scully to it today ;) :lol: I would like to say another lovely day here, but thick fog so no need for these yet 8-) .... so fog outside and also in my head where I still have this persistent lurgy causing thick fog in the upper half of my nasal cavities :( . I developed ear ache in my left ear yesterday :td: :( Quite scary as I am still entirely deaf in my right ear with the perforated ear drum.. ..
PatsyMFagan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop