good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » April 3rd, 2017, 8:13 am

Good morning all :D
So have I Patsy :lol:
We have misty foggy but it's clearing so hopefully it'll be better soon .......
Patsy - get well soon :plink: :hug:
Heading for the garden centre for more composted bark ................... see you later folks .................. have a lovely day :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 3rd, 2017, 8:51 am

good morning, all.
sunny-ish at the moment with the forecast of descending into the wet later - but it's often less predictable here than inland.
it's not difficult beating me to it - i'm not an early riser, more of an owl.
today is a day of hswk and getting on with the dress. when the latter is finished the former can be 'done' to the bedroom needed for next week.
coffelepathy is being employed - it's not working yet.
HOPE YOU CAN HEAR BETTER SOON, PATSY!
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 3rd, 2017, 9:06 am

Good morning all
Sunny here so far, must use my new hose to water the outside plants
it is clouding a little though the forecast says no chance of rain
need to clear up, then I can do other stuff the rest of the week
Hope the lurgy clears up soon Pat, sounds horrible :hug:
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 4th, 2017, 8:09 am

Good morning
I was a bit late with the hose, some pots had dried out over the weekend
Cleaned the kitchen with such vigour I have to go out and replace the mop I shattered :rolleyes:
I had great plans to do major spring cleaning but think I'll just get the current mess back to acceptable, then get on with other things, and do one room at a time later...
It's grey and grizzly here so a good day for getting on with bits and bobs
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 4th, 2017, 9:00 am

good morning, all.
overcast at the moment but said to brighten up later.
we have a funeral to go to this morning. it won't be a 'black' affair, the friend wouldn't have wanted that. he was an artist who lead a colourful life or maybe that should be a life in colour - or both. i have to find something that is season appropriate that won't be too dull - may be a tricky one!
aha, a coffee is on its way without the coffelepathy (do you think that it'll get into the dictionary or is it a little too niche‽‽).
i think i invented a word the other day, i couldn't find it online - it was 'midderate' and my definition is - 'to assign something to the bottom of a pile of stuff (sh!t) you have to deal with'. i think it may be something i do quite often - midderate rather than word invention, i mean.
one that i came up with at college, back in 1977, when no-one else was answering a question was a word for a type of process of the thickening of the skin. i couldn't think of the right word either so i just said pachydermatosis. the lecturer, who was the head of the college and quite a crossword fiend, loomed over me and said, 'you know, that's a very good word, did you just make it up? very good. probably better than the right one'. i may not have been the original coiner of the word but neither he, renowned in the field, nor i, a fresher had heard of it before it just seemed appropriate to put the two bits of the word together.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 5th, 2017, 7:36 am

Morning everyone! Another lovely day here. Very welcome after yesterday's gloom! Starting to think it might be time to clean out the firepit...
cooksalot
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 5th, 2017, 8:22 am

Yes, a lovely day here too, being not a million miles away from cooksalot ... ;) :tu: I understand though that it may cloud over later in the day :(

I won't be around much today as I am meeting up with friends from Canada who arrive later this morning for a couple of months. We are meeting in a hostelry not too far away. :cocktail: I haven't seen them for a couple of years - I was very good friends with Lawrie's mum, but her health deteriorated and she died while I was in hospital in October 2015 having my operation. In the meantime Lawrie was fighting his own battle with bowel cancer :td: :shock: They are coming over to sort out the house that Alice left ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 5th, 2017, 9:08 am

It's good here too. Patsy, we are lunching at Scotsbridge Mill with one of my daughters today. Last time I went the service was terrible but it's now a Miller & Carter and apparently much better. Will report back!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » April 5th, 2017, 9:23 am

good morning, all.
a fine day here, too.
isn't it a shame that funerals are times when we meet up with long unseen friends. the level of laughter from our table was almost irreverent but would have been the table that, i think, the 'subject' wold have preferred to join.
in a short while his daughter is going to have an open house for his friends to take a piece/pieces of artwork of their choice for a donation to charity. some of the pieces he kept, rather than sold, are beautiful.
in his eulogy his long standing gratitude to the nhs was remarked on; without it he really would have died many decades ago.

i have a week to get the big clear-up done, it's that tax return time of year again (i'm pushing to have them done early rather than have the frenzied rage/panic that my partner exhibits in the last couple of days before the deadline) and the planting is calling. i will wait for the coffee, now being made, to come before i even try to work out which will be attempted first.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 5th, 2017, 9:28 am

Good morning
It started very sunny, but clouding now, should stay dry though and Carol says the weekend will be warm and sunny :D
I was going to clear up the living room yesterday but I went to the supermarket and came back with a window wiper, i.e. a telescopic pole with a squeegee on one side of the head and a sponge mop on the other (£3, bargain) so I cleaned the windows at the front and also all the gutters, I got a solid strip of moss like one of those stuffed draught excluders out of one and one of the down pipes was neatly plugged with a water bottle :lol: It should be quieter and less splashy next time it rains. Might do the back later, and ultimately the roof windows :scared:

Have a great time with Lawrie Pat, sounds like she might need some support :hug: I have a cousin called Lawrie, but in his case it's short for Lawrence, a family name
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 5th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:It's good here too. Patsy, we are lunching at Scotsbridge Mill with one of my daughters today. Last time I went the service was terrible but it's now a Miller & Carter and apparently much better. Will report back!

I was driving past at about 11 am, so too early for you Jude ;) We have been to Miller and Carter in Ruislip; what was once the Plough. Not too enamoured with it, however it was a Saturday lunch time and I suppose we were lucky they found us a table without booking. I found the food not too bad, but we were almost touching the tables on either side. This is where I heard one of the customers asking for Steak & Frights ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 6th, 2017, 8:13 am

PatsyMFagan wrote: This is where I heard one of the customers asking for Steak & Frights ;) :lol:

Well Pat, that has given me a laugh this morning! I will never be able to think of it as anything other than that now :lol:
cooksalot
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 6th, 2017, 8:18 am

Oh dear, just as well my Dad never heard that, he had a tendency to pick up these things, I still have a tendency to refer to sorridges (sausages) and exasperated milk :D
Sunny here and so the outdoors beckons

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 6th, 2017, 9:01 am

It's gorgeous out there and the cock chaffinch is perched on the fence post loudly daring anyone else to come anywhere near 'his' sunflower seed container :D
Two loads on the line already, now I have to make some shortcrust pastry for a bacon and mushroom quiche/tart/flan :?
Then I shall get out there and do some potting on ........
Have a lovely day folks. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 6th, 2017, 9:39 am

StokeySue wrote:Have a great time with Lawrie Pat, sounds like she might need some support I have a cousin called Lawrie, but in his case it's short for Lawrence, a family name

Lawrie is indeed Lawrence and his wife is Louise. When Lawrie was diagnosed with bowel cancer 2 years ago, he had no choice but to have an emergency operation, however did turn down chemo ... choosing instead to travel to Mexico to one of those clinics that treat cancer with diet :o . At his follow up check-up back in Canada, it was discovered the cancer had spread to his liver, but the lesions were too big to be removed - only then did he accept the chemotherapy. He has since been back to Mexico and the extreme diet (molasses and bicarbonate of soda for instance :?: and high doses of Vitamin C).

So we arrived at his late mum's house - and they now have the task of clearing it out of the old, tatty, worthless furniture, piles of mis-matched crockery and an airing cupboard stuffed to the ceiling with old sheets, towels and assorted other bedding ... .. We will of course be doing a bit of eating out ;)

Edited to add it seems they have brought the lovely weather with them .. it is hotter here than back in Alberta at the moment :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 6th, 2017, 9:43 am

good morning, all.
sunny here, too.
a bit more washing to do while it's dry, plus the hswk.
did a load of sowing, in the sunshine, yesterday but i'm fast running out of small pots. i have the feeling i may have to grab some back from the community garden.
i also weeded out one of the raised beds and am wondering if the large bean roots in there are going to spring into life again. they've been covered with glass over winter and as it's been mild there may be a good chance. i also planted a tape of parsley seeds (yes, i picked up the wrong packet) next to the bean roots, threw a load of homing snails into the field next door and potted up a load more tomato plants. if they all grow we may have to go into the canning business.
better get on and out again - and avoid the hswk.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 6th, 2017, 10:53 am

Sorry to hear Lawrie has somewhat scuppered his chances :(
I admit I cherry picked the stuff in Mum's flat, and the outlaws, and then paid someone to do clearance. at FiL's there were a few good bits of furniture we sold to a guy who would restore and sell in his shop, and that paid for the clearance (expensive as a remote mountain house)
Always get multiple quotes for clearance they vary , and both in France and England the one recommended by the local estate agent was by far the best
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 7th, 2017, 9:39 am

Good morning everyone! The weather looks set to be hot and getting hotter - I saw 23 degrees forecast for London on Sunday. :D
Shopping this morning, then I plan to have an afternoon in the garden, spreading compost, doing some planting and tidying. Better dig out the sun cream!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby scullion » April 7th, 2017, 10:11 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a prediction of sunny. we won't get those temperatures - the coastal effect that keeps us warmer in the winter also keeps us cooler in the summer. we are predicted 14°c on saturday, and cloud and coastal mist on sunday
avoided a bit of hswk yesterday so it's going to pile up big time. i did some garden prep instead. there is no distraction on today so i may have to attack it bigly (isn't that a word trump used?) (i know he tried to say big league but that's less fun or open to ridicule than bigly).
i think coffee may be on it's way - i heard a telltale clinking that is produced by cup and milk jug being removed from the dishwasher.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 7th, 2017, 10:46 am

Good morning
I will get on with pottering soon, it's a bit hazier than yesterday,
I had an escalation yesterday, I took down two net curtains and washed them, and cleaned the two corresponding windows, not as easy as it sounds as it requires clambering out of a fairly small window onto a flat roof. During this I noticed that the radiator cover under my window was loose from it's moorings, and close to kit forming itself, so I had a restoration project to do, which required a trip to JDs Decor8 for supplies and an hour or so of muttering at it. I was tempted to leave it, but it was an accident waiting to happen, and as my Dad used to say "it'll soon be who'd 'a thought it" :D
Book club tonight, so walk will be taken en route
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2017, 9:50 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a little south easterly breeze.
coffee is on its way.
f1 highlights later.
more hswk avoidance tactics being engaged.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2017, 10:02 am

Our weather seems similar to yours Scully ... washing is on the line, butter chicken is in the slow cooker, plants have been watered, house is tidy ........... just time for a :D :mug: then potting-on on the terrace will commence ............
No F1 for me ............ I'll be watching the Grand National :bounce:
Enjoy your day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2017, 10:08 am

i got the washing out of the way yesterday - along with a duvet, washed and rinsed in the bath, that has spent it's time dripping, on the line, overnight.
you will still be getting the good weather tomorrow, too, while we get the duller stuff coming off the ocean.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2017, 10:12 am

Good morning
Book club was cancelled last night, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting to go today but everything is aimed at the school holidays so maybe just a walk
At least I did the annual deep clean of the attic windows + the guttering below them + having a good look at the roof up close (it's still there), my seedlings will be basking in the light coming through the clean glass :D
Enjoy your day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 10th, 2017, 9:41 am

good morning, all.
sunny again.
yesterday it was less sunny which didn't matter too much as we were working in a forrest garden. i was not doing heavy work thank goodness. i'd been under the impression it was just a visit rather than a working party. if i'd known i would've stayed at home to get on with the work i need to do here, not that it wasn't an enjoyable day, just that i've got more than enough of our own work.
when i've finished the coffee (that's on its way) that work will start in earnest!
have a great day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2017, 10:09 am

Good morning
On Saturday I went to the V&A Museum of Childhood at Bethnal Green, I wanted to see the board games exhibition, which wasn't really wonderful. The signage and labelling throughout is very poor; it would have been OK in the exhibition if some idiot hadn't decided to print the labels alternatively in black on teal or cream on magenta, thereby ensuring they were too low contrast to be easily read. I am contemplating a withering email. The best thing was a Rachel Whiteread installation of dolls houses. Still, had a nice walk and sat in the sun drinking coffee and listening to live music.
Yesterday was so sunny I couldn't sit out and read because it was so bright, need to look into alternatives
Cooler and breezier today. WI tonight.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 10th, 2017, 10:18 am

Good morning :D
A lovely day in the garden yesterday, planting, dividing, potting, sowing etc. and enjoying the warm sunshine - it got up to 23.9C in the shade 8-) Quite a contrast today -
it's overcast with a chilly breeze.
Tomorrow we're planning to go up the road to see this http://scva.ac.uk/art-and-artists/exhibitions/paul-nash :D
Have a good day folks
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 10th, 2017, 10:27 am

nice one - i do like the vorticists and war artists of his time.
scullion
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 10th, 2017, 10:48 am

Morning! Duller today after glorious heat yesterday. The garden is very dry - maybe a small April shower wouldn't be such a bad thing?
cooksalot
Registered

Postby Luca » April 10th, 2017, 5:31 pm

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
On Saturday I went to the V&A Museum of Childhood at Bethnal Green, I wanted to see the board games exhibition, which wasn't really wonderful. The signage and labelling throughout is very poor; it would have been OK in the exhibition if some idiot hadn't decided to print the labels alternatively in black on teal or cream on magenta, thereby ensuring they were too low contrast to be easily read. I am contemplating a withering email. The best thing was a Rachel Whiteread installation of dolls houses. Still, had a nice walk and sat in the sun drinking coffee and listening to live music.

It hasn't changed then....... :)
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Luca wrote:It hasn't changed then.......

New loos :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » April 10th, 2017, 6:21 pm

That could only be an improvement................. she says grimacing in memory of having accompanied 32 primary school children there in the distant past! :evil:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » April 11th, 2017, 8:16 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a northerly-ish, slight breeze - a day for bed linen (cotton) washing.
i'm assuming bed linen is an anachronism as i would imagine that few people since the 18thC/19thC have used linen as bedding. when cotton became king (and now polycotton - bleugh) the old phrase stayed.
there's probably just as much sense in calling it 'manchester' (what are you australians like‽‽). maybe camborne has it's silly side, too. there's a drapers/ bedding shop, that's been on trelowarren street as long as i know, called the manchester house. i don't know its history but i suppose it could have been started by a returning 'cousin jack', having made his money down a hole in oz - or by someone called manchester, or by ...
still sunny, better do it than talk about it - when i've drunk my coffee.
have a lovely day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 11th, 2017, 9:52 am

Good morning
I actually had a couple of linen sheets, probably Edwardian, long cut up into polishin
g cloths. Heavier but no warmer than pure cotton, lovely on hot sticky summer nights.

I notice that in French the term is linge, which is literally linen, but means now the washable fabrics used in the house, but the German term for a set of bed linen is Bettwasche, literally bed wash :D

Must go to the supermarket, as Passover has now started it should be quiet, need supplies and I have vouchers

Clouding now, good day for getting on
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 11th, 2017, 12:14 pm

scullion wrote:good morning, all.
sunny with a northerly-ish, slight breeze - a day for bed linen (cotton) washing.
i'm assuming bed linen is an anachronism as i would imagine that few people since the 18thC/19thC have used linen as bedding. when cotton became king (and now polycotton - bleugh) the old phrase stayed.

I have linen on all our beds and I love it....I buy the 'washed linen', which is supposed to be soft and crinkled and therefore doesn't need ironing. It is sometimes difficult to find when, as had been said, all types of fabric come with the title 'bed linen'. I suppose it is quite unusual to have linen, but our visitors really notice the difference and say how comfortable it is.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 11th, 2017, 1:02 pm

patpoyntz wrote:I have linen on all our beds and I love it....I buy the 'washed linen', which is supposed to be soft and crinkled and therefore doesn't need ironing

I don't think I have ever seen real linen bed stuff, never mind 'washed linen' (..... now waiting for someone to point me in the right direction :lol: ), but what a brilliant idea that they don't need ironing ;) :tu: Oh hang on, I iron nothing apart from trousers occasionally and my (non iron) bedding does what it says on the tin :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 11th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Patsy, it's usually described as washed french linen...I've bought it from various places. Ikea sells a few, also Soak and Sleep, and I've had some from La Redoute.

https://www.soakandsleep.com/luxury-lin ... linen.html
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » April 11th, 2017, 2:31 pm

Ps..I iron very little, but like the guest bed to be perfect, and did iron the bedding for it, now it's nice that I can say to visitors, 'by the way this is how it's supposed to look'....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 11th, 2017, 3:41 pm

patpoyntz wrote:Patsy, it's usually described as washed french linen...I've bought it from various places. Ikea sells a few, also Soak and Sleep, and I've had some from La Redoute.

https://www.soakandsleep.com/luxury-lin ... linen.html

Just had a browse ... phew ; not cheap are they ? I think they will outlive me ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm

What a deeply irritating web site, the combination of low contrast colours, space in the wrong places and jumpy scrolling is really bad.
The items do look nice though, and I like the colours
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 11th, 2017, 5:34 pm

The ex DIL has worked here for some years http://www.volgalinen.co.uk/

We have some lovely linen :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Oooh, all those links to bed linen just make me want to tuck myself into a freshly made, linen bed right now. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 12th, 2017, 8:14 am

good morning, all.
overcast.
the upcountry young are expected in a couple of hours so i'd better go and remove the clean washing from the horse in the spare room (there's a mental image for you).
the linen looks lovely but the price doesn't. as my partner is barely housetrained it wouldn't look lovely for long (i'm talking ink stains and the like, not as in the need for the housetraining of an animal - well, there may be elements...).
i may have to make my own coffee as my partner's out in the garden trying to inflict a bit of discipline and tidying up.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 12th, 2017, 8:48 am

Morning ! ;) :wave:

Having my first cuppa while I sit and noodle on here in the conservatory watching the birds (and the rat !!! :( :shock: ) tuck into their specialist food ;) Weather is cool and dull at the moment, but I need to gird my loins soon to walk up into the village a) for the exercise and b) for a doctor appointment to see what she can do about my continuing deafness :scared:

Re: Linen bed coverings, I think I may already have a set that is cotton (rather than linen, but not man made fabric either) that was originally white, but since dyed to a pale creamy orange ... can't think why I did that now as I love white bed linen. :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 12th, 2017, 9:07 am

I love white bed linen but so do the dogs when H forgets to shut a bedroom door, the result is a designer marked linen with paw prints & dog snot :lol:
As a result most of my bedding is patterned "Lobby linen", you could spill a pan of lobby & it wouldn't look out of place.
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby suffolk » April 12th, 2017, 9:26 am

Scully, the Nash show was really good ... it's on tour from the Tate, so if it comes to Cornwall don't miss it!
Heading down the road for tennis in a minute or two ... a bit breezy here ... OH will have to keep an eye on the washing on the line.
Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 12th, 2017, 9:35 am

Good morning
I have white bed linen (cotton) for double beds, and anything not white is single :)
Not sure what to do today, might pop down to John Lewis as I need a sun hat and they have some that look good online
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 13th, 2017, 10:32 am

good morning, all.
the earlier cloud cover is breaking up and the sun is trying to squeeze through the gaps.
the, temporarily, resident young are out recce-ing (not wrecking), and we are off out to dine, up in the village, with them and the local young later this evening.
oops, got sidetracked with a conversation on the list of jobs for the community garden. my partner is going there tonight to relay the 'need to do' list, but not me.
better get on and do stuff before the morning has disappeared.
the gaps have now closed again.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2017, 10:39 am

Good morning
Proceeding with the book sorting, hair cut later, will walk to backgammon this evening by way of exercise
Bright but cloudy here, not all that warm
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cooksalot » April 14th, 2017, 11:23 am

Afternoon (just missed "morning") - shopping is all done! Looking forward to a hot cross bun with a cup of tea later. Not in the garden though, feels quite a bit chillier!
cooksalot
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop