good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby suffolk » March 21st, 2018, 10:49 am

Good morning all :D

A slow start this morning following our enjoyable evening out ... tennis in a bit then some menu planning as we have a friend arriving on Saturday afternoon for a couple of days and I'm booked to visit DD on Saturday.

The sun is shining and windows are open ... it's not warm, but it's not as cold as it was .......

Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2018, 9:37 am

scullion wrote:I'd take sandwiches if I were you.

:D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 22nd, 2018, 9:40 am

Bright and sunny here.

How was Madame B, Suffs?

I am off to my mother's at 4ish this afternoon - leaving work early. But working from home right now. Well not right now, obviously... :? but imminently. Complicated arrangement this a.m. because my gardener was coming, and I didn't want to put her off as cancelled her next schedule visit, but I want to shut the cats in today for while I'm away so... working from home to do this after she'd finished. But she's cancelled. However the cat feeders had said no point in their coming today if I am around till midday, so they are not (coming until tomorrow afternoon.) So I still have to stick around.
Gosh that was dull. Clearly I am feeling a bit guilty.
Also waiting on a delivery, expected in the next hour, of ridiculous amounts of cat food and litter for the Easter holiday as no husband this weekend (again :( ) to go out to fetch some in the car with.

Now shall I take my big (heavy) camera to my mother's or not? I may not have much leisure time while there, but might get something out of it in whatever I have. Decisions...
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 22nd, 2018, 10:56 am

Good luck with the schedule Herbi!

Sunny again here, didn't get out yesterday as I had a migraine, rather frustrating as it wasn't bad enough to keep me fully occupied but I couldn't do much except potter in the kitchen and listen to the radio, so I got bored
Hope today goes better
Have a goid day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 22nd, 2018, 11:00 am

Washing is on the line in the garden and I have painted my toenails ... spring must be here 8-)

Madame B was lovely ... the Korean soprano Maria Heejung Kim was superb (she debuted the role at Milan) and the Spanish tenor Georgio Meladze was a very good pairing with her and a convincing cad .... tears were shed :cry:

Now I have a lasagne to make ......

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 22nd, 2018, 11:04 am

good morning, all.
overcast but dry.
been fiddling with Skype for the last hour or so, my partner has a conference call sometime soon and wants to be totally ready when it comes. he has now downloaded and tested but as his computer doesn't have a camera people won't be able to see him - but he will see them - maybe that's the right way round - for him!
we'll be heading off for another walk in an hour or two - a couple of weeks of upcountry trips and other things getting in the way have left us feeling a little unfit so we are trying to up our walk quota. yesterday's was very pleasant - at one time i contemplated taking my fleece off.
a lot of sand has gone missing and it was a very low tide so it would have been a bit of a chance walking round to chapel. lots of sand and a very low tide would be nice - hopefully next month.

we are off to see the live showing of julius caesar, at the cinema, tonight.

my delivery of coffee arrived yesterday along with some stainless steel filters for my aeropress. they may not be so convenient as the paper filters when removing grounds but at least i won't run out and have the faff of dampening them at the start. it may be my imagination but i think the coffee may have been even better.
my partner hasn't received the coffelepathy yet.
have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » March 23rd, 2018, 7:37 am

Good morning, all.
Good weather forecast until lunchtime.
Good walk yesterday.
good play.
Bad cat woke me at about half five, been awake since. she may well be shut out of our room tonight.
Off to the walled garden in a little over an hour so I'll raise myself from the pit - now that the cat's stopped mithering.
have a good day, everyone
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 23rd, 2018, 9:23 am

Overcast and dry here (Sheffield) now.

All went very smoothly yesterday in the end. Even got an earlier train. On the bus to supermarket right now.

Scully, my cat wakes me up an hour before dawn... whenever that is.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 23rd, 2018, 9:57 am

The sun peeked out for about half an our and then changed its mind :rolleyes:
Today I have to make lists ... a shopping list for OH who is cooking supper tomorrow ... a shopping list for me as I'm passing a good farm shop on the way to visit DD tomorrow ... a To Do list for OH as his old school friend is visiting tomorrow and OH says he'll do any prepping (bed making, tidying, vacuuming etc) and a list of things for me to take to DD tomorrow, including the new cardi I knitted for her.
Have a good day folks. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 24th, 2018, 7:28 am

Dull again here. Lots to do before I head home later today.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 24th, 2018, 8:33 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast and a bit dreary/moist at the moment but not as wet, by a long chalk, as yesterday afternoon and last night.
I have a meeting to go to later and when I get home there's the boat race and (recorded) qualifying highlights. Annoyingly, they announced the qualifying results on the news before we realised and could turn it off. I wish they would give warning like they do with football results so that people who are going to watch it later don't get the experience diminished by knowing.
I came home from the gardening course with two, self layered, gooseberry bushes, yesterday. I'll pot them up tomorrow before deciding where their permanent position will be.
Fingers crossed for Cambridge.
Have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 24th, 2018, 9:54 am

A bright dry start misled us and OH hung the towels on the line ... it's now overcast and dampish :rolleyes:
I'm heading south to visit DD, via a very good farmshop, so will pick up food for both households ... DD is doing her first Saturday morning at work stint, so will deserve some easy meals this weekend. I will also be delivering the finished cardi ... hope it fits :D
Have a good weekend folks. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 24th, 2018, 10:50 am

Good morning.
It rained overnight my walk (if not raining) will be to see the new art and craft shop opened by my ex-next door neighbour, he's done it up really nicely
Or I might just do the ironing if it a bit damp, as I am going to my friend's overnight
Have a good weekend everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 25th, 2018, 9:08 am

Just dull again here. (Back home again.)
My lovely forecast for (our bit of) France over the next week has become one of solid rain for the entire duration of our holiday. Typical. I mean it really is typical. Time to insert French joke, yet again:

N-blague10.jpg
N-blague10.jpg (10.59 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 25th, 2018, 10:29 am

sounds a bit like the old saying - come to devon, rain six days out of seven.

good morning, all.
sunny with even more sun this afternoon. i'll go and pot up my new goosegogs before the f1 is aired - it's also a way of avoiding the news on the radio. we don't want another repeat of yesterday when we heard who was on pole position before seeing qualifying on tv.
a good result for cambridge, yesterday. my partner was less pleased than i - tough.
a friend made the comment yesterday that it was a shame that will, in the archers, couldn't have got septicaemia instead of nic. we all agreed.
my partner is busy - it looks like it's my turn to make coffee.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 25th, 2018, 11:13 am

Pa would've been chuffed :D ... of course, Cambridge boats sponsored by Adnams :D ... 'nuff said ;) :tu:

Spring is definitely beginning to make its presence felt in the garden ... and the bluetits in the box opposite appear to have nestlings!

OH and Al are chortling about something ....... I think I'll go in the kitchen and prep the veg ...

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » March 25th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Lovely day. A butterfly is battering at the window to be let out. Too early my lovely. It's cold out there.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby Amber » March 25th, 2018, 8:40 pm

Lovely day here too...we did our first walk of the season -7miles - (lots of illnesses over winter :? ), and I am currently sat with a glass of white, almost unable to move legs, arms, feet, back etc.

(But the ‘wine arm’ is managing to cope! ;) :D )

Tomorrow I may be housebound ;) :D :D !
Amber
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » March 26th, 2018, 9:06 am

I cannot believe I am seeing the sun!
We have spent 5 weeks in the south of Spain, and it rained every single day, and most nights too!
We are now on the ferry home and had a very bumpy night, however, we’ve woken to calm seas and blue skies, it’s wonderful.
Everyone we met in Spain was very pleased the rains came. They have had a very dry winter and thought they would lose an awful lot of the vegetation. Just goes to show....
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 26th, 2018, 10:03 am

Yes it is lovely. Very spring-like.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2018, 10:18 am

good morning, all.
the sun is starting to think about hiding behind a large bank of cloud that's due to overshadow a good part of the country soon - but at the moment it's out.
yesterday we had wall to wall sunshine and i got the onions planted and the two gooseberry bushes potted up - along with a bit of pruning done and two loads of washing put through the machine and dried outside.
i felt no guilt in the indulgence of watching the f1 during the last couple of hours of sunshine.
off to a gardening meeting, tonight, with a talk on, amongst other things, wild bees.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 26th, 2018, 10:32 am

Sunny here too
Will go out to lecture on Rodin at British Museum later
Just pottering until then
My grape hyacinths and daffs are looking ready for Easter but the snow did for the pansies
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 26th, 2018, 11:30 am

Still don’t even have daffs out yet, just a couple of tiny tete a tête-à-tête in the window box, all the garden bulbs are through but not close to flowering yet. It’s been a very cold spring up here. Sun shining now and a good forecast for this week so we might get a flower out for Easter.

Last Easter we went walking through fields of flowering rapeseed- hard to believe as this year the rapeseed is only about three inches tall!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 26th, 2018, 11:36 am

Mind you, it's a relatively early Easter this year. Last year it was quite late if I recall correctly. Surprising what a difference a few weeks can make at this time of year.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 26th, 2018, 12:18 pm

the daffodils have been out for some weeks here, lining the sides of the roads and in the hedges, and fields full. some in our garden have been in flower since before the cold snap.

maybe you could log when yours come out on the 'daffodils' thread (back four pages in the coffee shop list)?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 26th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Our native type daffodils are coming out this week ... the little Tete a tetes have been out a couple of weeks.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 27th, 2018, 7:11 am

Darkish and raining solidly here. Last day at work for a bit for me. Will need to try hard to focus. It's also school day which is always a bit more disruptive than it should be. Focus, Rachel! Packing tonight :)

I hope everyone has a great day, rain or otherwise.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2018, 9:31 am

Yes, dark and damp here now, slightly surprised as the sky was beautifully clear when I came in at nine last night
The Rodin talk was interesting but really only a refresher in terms of what most of the audience knew and it wasn't very low vision friendly - I was surprised that they used such a small screen for a huge lecture theatre, then left the room lights turned on full blast, I'd have expected them to turn them down cinema style
Just doing stuff today, need to sort out some online things
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » March 27th, 2018, 11:35 am

good aftermorning, all.
damp now but as it's predicted to be sunny later that's when we'll head for a walk on the beach.
today's podcast ted talk was one by isabel allende from a few years ago - well worth listening to, funny and containing a beauty tip from sophia loren (i've linked to the film rather than the podcast).
the talk last night was interesting. it was about loss of soil, pollution from run-off, the wrong type of grasses used for soil structure and decreases in soil organisms and insect life due to farming methods (and about wild bees).
i knew we grew a lot of daffodils down here but i didn't realise that it was around 70%-80% of the worlds production. their cultivation also has a huge environmental impact. a couple of years production takes decades for the soil to recover.
did you know that a cow pat can stay around for over a year if it isn't broken down by dung flies, dung beetles and earthworms - which are killed by the de-wormer used on livestock so maybe a few questions should be asked before we put manure on the garden!.
the whole talk was really food for thought.
have a good afternoon, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Well, Fred Loads always said your manure should be "well-rotted" so obviously even more important these days!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 27th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Good after morning all :D

Feeling virtuous as the morning has been spent doing laundry and paperwork. "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof " Matt 6:34

It's wet outside today so I'll cook the rice and prep the vegetables for tonight's Nasi goreng then I'll get the knitting out.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 27th, 2018, 12:49 pm

My dad always used to say that good manure should have the consistency of St Bruno pipe tobacco.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 27th, 2018, 12:55 pm

I would always stack manure for around 12 months to 'mature' :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 27th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Gruney wrote:My dad always used to say that good manure should have the consistency of St Bruno pipe tobacco.
My father's favorite (prior to Whiskey Flake) :)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » March 27th, 2018, 3:44 pm

unfortunately, it seems that some of the more modern anthelmintics and other parasite killers are a little more lingering - the chap last night was talking in half lives!
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 27th, 2018, 4:32 pm

There are things with half lives measured in nano seconds, but I assume he was talking months or years
It seems it does take a lomg time to get rid of ivermectin at least, despite effective composting

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/handle/1813/43912
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » March 27th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I think I’ve posted about this before.

Has anyone else seen the fields of daffodils up near Aberdeen? I still remember the shock when I saw fields and fields of daffodils. They were lovely, but what a waste :o ! But someone explained they were being grown for the bulbs, not for the flowers. I love daffodils, such a sign of spring and hope.
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 28th, 2018, 8:10 am

Very wet indeed here. At least we won't have trouble getting the cats in before we set off this afternoon. (?! :) )

I have quite a few things to do before we go, but probably don't really need to do any of them.

Husband contacted me yesterday to say he was still in Karlsruhe and no trains to the airport (over an hour away) until 17.55. Gates for flight shut at 7.15. It's a very big airport and a 15 ride to the appropriate terminal. In the end, they had kept the gates open for him, so he's here, but still not well with this lung thing. Just had his second lot of antibiotics. I think he needs to have an x-ray, but it will have to wait now.

Anyway, off to not so sunny Normandy (or Portsmouth, at least!) mid afternoon.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2018, 8:53 am

Have a good trip Herbi ... hope your husband get over his lurgy and feels better soon.
Damp here so no gardening ... indoor tennis in a bit, then I'll pop to the supermarket and get something for supper ... I fancy fish of some sort ........
Enjoy your day everyone :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 28th, 2018, 8:59 am

Dull and damp here too ... as I have a rare whole day to myself (afternoon tea at a friend's had to be cancelled :( :td: ) I am planning on a trip into Uxbridge for a mooch round the shops. I have seen the advert for Hotter shoes, so may pop in there, although they don't usually fit my very wide, but short feet :rolleyes: Debenhams and M&S on the cards too as I need to look at upgrading my wardrobe and dare I pluck up the courage to go into Primark ... the largest store in the town now ! (I usually go in one door from the Pavilions shopping centre and straight out the front door that leads to the bus-stop ;) )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » March 28th, 2018, 10:29 am

good morning, all.
sun and rain at the moment but it's meant to dry up later so a walk will be partaken of.
having texted to find out if i was needed at the farm i was told 'yes'. after being there for half an hour i was told i wasn't needed as my group would only have one in - i was not happy and may point out that i want an hour's pay to cover my fuel - especially after i checked! grrrr.
i suppose i should fill the now vacant time with some hswk - but i'm trying to resist the thought.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » March 28th, 2018, 10:59 am

Thanks Suffs. I fear lurgy may be something that is not a passing thing. Currently trying to get him to pack and take me to the shops. He's working... :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 28th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Herbi ... tell him that a few years ago my big strong younger brother (farmer) had one of those chests that wouldn't quite clear up ... rather than get checked out he decided he would 'work through it' ........ he ended up in hospital with pneumonia ... nearly died and has permanently damaged his lungs. Now, several years later, he needs a small op to sort something else out but it keeps getting postponed 'cos his SATs levels are low due to his lung damage. Tell him I said GET IT CHECKED OUT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER!!! :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » March 29th, 2018, 9:01 am

good morning, all.
raining.
a cat is making this hard work by lying on my right wrist and pawing at my left. she is not expecting the ejection that is surely coming (my partner is making coffee) - there will be a look of indignation on her face any second.
i'm off to a friend's (for another coffee) in an hour, along with the minack programme to check which she'd like to see before i book for the season.
the cat has leapt off, theoretically on her own terms but we both know the truth. she's sitting with her back to me as a sign of rejection. i'm going to worm her - that'll show her who's boss (for a little while).
hope your holiday is a good relaxer.
have a cosy day everyone ('the black narcissus' is on the box this afternoon for those with a space in their schedule!).
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 29th, 2018, 9:31 am

Webcam says sunshine and blue skies just down the coast from you 8-) Thanks for the heads up re Black Narcissus ... I've some wool to wind so that will help :) :)
Sunshine and blue skies here too at the moment, and a mite chilly, although OH has the studio wall slid back ... think the woodpigeons may come in for a visit :lol:
Supper is going to be pasta with wild garlic and goat's cheese, so not a lot to do in the kitchen other than prep tomorrows Hot Cross Buns ... I may sort some seeds.
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 29th, 2018, 9:37 am

Yes, hope Herbi is having a good holiday (she should be en route on the continental side of the channel by now I think)
It has raineda lot here overnight but currently quite bright.
Going to have an attemot at hot cross buns later, don't think I've made them before, certainly not with any degree of success. Wish me luck, I'm going in!
Apart fromthat, a day of clearing up after the dishwasher upheavel until backgammon
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 29th, 2018, 10:42 am

suffolk wrote:I've some wool to wind

Don't you need a child, to stand in front of you with arms outstretched until his/her shoulders are on fire? I remember it well - and standing with my arm out to see how a sleeve was coming on.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 29th, 2018, 11:35 am

Gruney wrote:Don't you need a child, to stand in front of you with arms outstretched until his/her shoulders are on fire?

What are you suggesting Gruney? That is not a good enough reason to get pregnant! :shock: Or to kidnap one of the schoolchildren passing by on their way up the hill!!! :o

No, I shall manage without a child ... OH will have to suffice :lol: :lol: :lol: :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 29th, 2018, 11:37 am

Gruney... :lol: You have reminded me......... It was a bit of a fad/fashion a few decades ago....... But I did it last week. Mr. Z. was heading out of our drive to post a letter and at the furtherest point before he could not 'hear' me I called and beckoned to him, he did come back to the open window downstairs I was standing at. When he was in front of me, he said 'what is it?' I said, 'I just wanted to see if you come back'...... silly I know, but I fell for it loads back then... :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » March 29th, 2018, 12:24 pm

my mother used to do a variant of that when we were little - 'how far had you got before i called you back?'
there is the possibility that, when called, the callee will in future insist the caller comes to them.
i started just to shout 'what?' (like in 'this country') which my mother hated - served her right!
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop