good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 5th, 2018, 9:56 am

Morning all .... the wind and rain seems to have finally abated and at the moment all is quiet, albeit quite cloudy. Nothing on the cards for me today apart from Zumba this morning, hopefully lunch with a couple of the girls before coming home and tackling some tidying and cleaning ... I am really living by my strap-line/signature (below) these days, but I must haul myself out of this laziness ... :aww: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2018, 10:08 am

Good morning, all.
It's just started raining. There was me thinking it would be a nice day when I was woken up by the sun shining through the blind. At least the wind has dropped.
Tax returns are almost done - with surprisingly little complaining by my partner.
The sun is out again.
On the way back from truro, on Wednesday, we decided to go to portreath and see which bit of the harbour wall had been 'washed away' by the heavy seas of the past few days. The radio news of that morning had been a bit misleading. It wasn't really the harbour wall, more an extension wall that stops the beach doing what it would naturally do. The wall has been patched a few times in the past and the bit that has collapsed wouldn't really have taken the beating from the waves but then if you build on sand...
Even cnut didn't really think he could keep back the waves!
Right, back to the tax.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 5th, 2018, 10:26 am

Good morning all :D
I had a look at Portreath online Scully ... it did seem that those houses had been built in a very vulnerable spot :shock:
OH has one more day at the Farm Shop after today ...... still job hunting ...... belts are being tightened.
I shall do a quick food shop for the weekend then get on with perusing seed catalogues and knitting DD's cardi ... it's described as a 'Boyfriend Cardigan but her husband says it'd better be a 'husband cardi' :lol:
Have a good day folks :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 5th, 2018, 10:32 am

Good morning
Clouding here but forecast says no rain until after dark
Nothing special to do but plenty to do, will pop over the road and give the bird feeders the seed I bought as I've decided not to put up a feeder after all due to vermin until the semi-derelict flat is fixed up
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2018, 11:49 am

the wall is far older than the houses but there's been quite a lot of building down on the hinterland that i wouldn't consider buying. when there's a high tide the sea is only a metre (give or take) below the rim of the inner harbour and most of that build are at the rim level. with the forecast sea rise due to global warming it'll be one of the first places affected.

tax returns are all done - and my partner, himself, has commented on his lack of temper tantrum.
he has agreed we'll get the next lot done in april (or may...).
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » January 5th, 2018, 12:16 pm

suffolk wrote:OH has one more day at the Farm Shop after today ...... still job hunting ...... belts are being tightened.

would he/you stoop to commercial, pot boiler paintings for a while?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 5th, 2018, 12:22 pm

It's an option Scully ....... think his first option is to pick up and push his writing again ........ he has written for art publications, catalogues etc and his writing is well thought of. Fingers crossed :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 6th, 2018, 11:05 am

good morning, all.
sunny, slight breeze and a little chilly.
we went for a late afternoon walk on the beach, yesterday. it was about half four, the tax had been finished, the parcel we had waited in for had just arrived and we fancied some fresh air while it was still light. we're going for a longer walk today - when the beach café will be open.
i hope his last day at the farm shop isn't too much of a downer, suffolk, and something else comes along soon.
have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 6th, 2018, 11:28 am

Thanks Scully :hug:
We woke to a foggy morning which has cleared, but it's cold and damp out there ... the birds are feeling hungry and queueing up at the feeders.
Have a good day all :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 6th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Good afternoon
Cold but bright here, been out and about
Had a slightly disappointing trip to the Geffrye museum, which has been promoting a Twelth Night celebration beforeit closes for some work
Accirding to the flyers the jollity was from 10 am to 5 pm, according to FB from noon to 5 pm, at 1 o'clock the place waspacked with families but nothing extra actually happening apart from a couple of food vans, and no clear indication of when all this excitement would happen; the queue for the cafe was epic thiugh!
Did my food shopping on the way home though
Yes, all best wishes to the Artist and you Suffolk, hope something appears over the horizon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 7th, 2018, 11:52 am

good morning, all.
sunny and chilly.
as s.a.s. had organised a beach clean we did that, instead of a straight walk, before heading for a coffee, yesterday.
i think we were going down for a walk again, today, but that may not happen - the cloudless sun may hide behind a few white fluffies before we get there.
have a bright sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 7th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Good noontide all :D
Blue skies and white fluffies here too 8-) but decidedly nippy in the wind. 8-)
House tidied and veggies etc prepped for supper ......... I need to get on with this complicated bit of shaping on DD's cardi .... best done during the day while I'm relatively awake ...
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 8th, 2018, 11:06 am

good morning, all.
overcast and a bit chilly now but supposedly warming up a bit, later.
didn't go for a walk yesterday. i went to a meeting and my partner gave the knee, that he had twisted the day before, a rest.
nothing planned for today although a little hswk should really be given some consideration.
soup is on the menu for tonight.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 8th, 2018, 11:29 am

Dully and chilly here and the blackbirds are telling me it's cold by performing acrobatics on the birdfeeders to get the sunflower seeds and suet/insect pellets ... much to thie annoyance of the bluetits and goldfinches and other small birds ......... I'll put some porridge oats out for the blackbirds ... it'll make everyone happier.
Give your OH my commiserations about twisted knee Scully ... my twisted one (as opposed to the one with severed Ant Cruciate Ligament) is beginning to feel a bit better at last after the injury in September ...
Carrot, ginger and orange soup is simmering on the hob ... the house is clean and tidy ... time to play :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 8th, 2018, 2:06 pm

Good afternoon
Dull and misty here, it's actually quite cold but as windless doesn't feel too bad

Cleaned up the trolley and staggered to the picture framer to discover that he doesn't work on Mondays, so that's a job for tomorrow

I've given up the idea of having a bird feeder here for the time being, not compatible with vermin and some building work my neighbour hopes to start, so I donated my sunflower hearts to the bird feeding station in the cemetery park

Trying very hard not to twist a knee given my stairs..... :hug: for those who have - I fell down a sweeping, flight of polished wooden stairs when I was 18 and did what the college nurse descibed as " a proper rugger player's injury" but at that age i made a complete recovery of course

Enjoy the rest of your day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2018, 10:19 am

good morning, all.
dull, a bit breezy (although less than last night) and with the hint of rain.
the coffee ceremony has been performed and my partner is off to the dentist soon.
i managed to avoid the majority of the housework yesterday - yay! which means it's still hanging over today - boo!
i'll get round to it sometime but as there's nothing planned for today it may be imminent.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby icelesley » January 9th, 2018, 10:29 am

Morning :wave: :wave: OH has gone to get his hair cut so I am waiting for him to come back so I can go to the garden centre. It has just started raining and the temperature has dropped, I might leave it until tomorrow.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 10:56 am

Morning. So far not a good one. I fell on the way to work: scraped my hands, face and knee, knee is swelling up, face is bruised and fingers worrying painful. (I am typing with two that don't hurt.) I cried and I fainted! A kind lady did a bit of first aid and drove me home. Mother was also admitted into hospital last night. The two may not be unconnected (v absent-minded this moment.)

I wish I could train Basil to shut the door, because it's painful getting up and a nuisance to have to keep rearranging my bag of frozen spinach :D

This is bit of a Sliding Doors scenario, as I considered having a 30 minute lie this morning in which would have meant a different train and different route to work, and maybe not falling, but who knows.

But apart from that... yes dull and coldish but lots of birds and birdsong which is lovely.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » January 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

Herbi.... so sorry you're going through the mill... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 11:00 am

Back from the GP practice all wired up with a 24 hour BP monitor ... the first reading was sky high ... no wonder really with it having taken nearly 40 minutes to do a 10 minutes journey due to an accident on the A47 funnelling all the traffic up the road between here and the doctors :rolleyes: ... anyway OH returned my library books for me while I was being fitted up and then we came home via Norwich Art Supplies to pick up some canvas and bits and bobs so the time was spent usefully. Now for a quiet day (hopefully) drinking decaff in the hope that my BP will behave ............
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2018, 11:03 am

can you move the painful fingers? if not, head for a&e
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 11:05 am

Thanks Seatallan. A year to the day that my mother as first admitted too! And just over a year since I injured my toe. Deja vu!

Suffs I hope your day goes calmly. I guess you need to have a 'normal' day for you for them to get an accurate picture?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 11:22 am

Herbi :hug: I agree with Scully ... if you can't move your fingers properly get checked out! (Bin there, done that :rolleyes: )

Herbidacious wrote: ... I guess you need to have a 'normal' day for you for them to get an accurate picture?

A normal day??? Wots that then??? ;) The nurse asked what I'd got planned and I said a bit of cooking, a bit of reading, a bit of stuff in the studio etc ... she knows I'm not able to do much proper exercise while my knee's still recovering ... she was happy with that. Last time I had the monitor fitted I was cooking and the cooker hood exploded just before the machine switched on!!! There was a definite peak then. :lol:

It's interesting that the nurse has gained quite a bit of weight since I saw her last ... she said she injured her knee last year and despite doing all the right things diet-wise her weight has crept up as she's unable to be as active as she used to be. Knees are a bu$$er!!! :cry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 11:40 am

Well that's why I put 'normal' in inverted commas :) No Formula 1 racing or giving lectures to a hall of 100s! My days are usually pretty much the same so I suppose I could describe a normal (boring) dy for me.

Considering last time, I hope the monitor isn't a jinx!

Your nurse proves that exercise is crucial then. In spite of what I want to believe! I imagine part of it though is not being able to gauge how much food you need if exercise is suddenly limited. One certainly can't go by hunger.

p.s. just saw your fingers comment. Yes I can move them. The joint at the base of my last two fingers are painful. More arthritis in store for me?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2018, 11:55 am

Good morning
Herbi :hug: :hug:
Remember RICE for the knee, and yes, get those fingers checked out if they don't want to behave, been there done tgat

Was about to contonue tge ongoing saga of collecting my picture, checked my phone and discovered that a delivery is due by 12:06 so fiddling around waiting for Mr Yodel to turn up - he arrived while I was typing that! :)

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 12:04 pm

For the past three or four months my ankle's been out of place - years of sport and countless injuries have left it quite "loose". It's happened several times before, but I've always managed to get it back in after a couple of weeks. Walkng is agonising - it's even stopped me going to the pub, would you believe! It's been X rayed, and I'm just waiting to progress to the top of the physio waiting list - can't come soon enough!
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Oh poor you Gruney! Hope they can sort you out soon ... you must miss walking your dogs ... and they'll be missing it too :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Thanks Suffs - the livelier two are with my daughter - the eldest, who is nearer to 15 than 14 only needs a very slow amble, with lots of determined sniffing. I do that with her, but to be truthful, I'm exhausted when I get back. Not sleeping properly, you see.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Cold rice, Sue? I am expecting a Yodel today too. I was not expecting to be in so was expecting issues having it redelivered (they are a bit/a lot cr*p in my experience. Would not have ordered the thing if I'd known they'd use Yodel) so I hope they do deliver today.

I suppose there's no reason why I shouldn't use the spinach that's defrosting on my knee later...?!!

That's awful Gruney.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Busybee » January 9th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Herbi - RICE. Rest, ice, compression and elevation.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 9th, 2018, 12:45 pm

:lol: doh. I don't think I hit my head, but clearly my intelligence has taken a blow!

Ok I am doing RICE... with spinach :? :D All I need is to add eggs and cheese? (Sorry...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Gruney ... have you got a stout walking stick ... I got one and it's been marvellous ... I'm not using it now but for a few months it 'took the strain' when walking outside and has given my knee a chance to heal without undoing the good the rest had done.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 1:44 pm

I haven't got one, Suffs, and I'm quite sure one would be a big help. I'm not sure where to get one.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2018, 1:45 pm

My picture is hung :)
Here endeth the saga (everything crossed)

Gruney, sorry to hear about your ankle
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » January 9th, 2018, 1:50 pm

i use walking poles when i need them. they have the added advantage that people think you're just out for a walk rather than that you're decrepit!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » January 9th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Gruney wrote:I haven't got one, Suffs, and I'm quite sure one would be a big help. I'm not sure where to get one.

Gruney, Amazon sell them :tu: I just did a search ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 2:03 pm

Thanks Patsy :tu: - I eventually had that bright idea, too. I've ordered one, which should arrive on Friday.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 9th, 2018, 2:08 pm

Boots sell them, as do other chemists and most sports shops that sell hiking boots, I've got a telescopic one made by Leki who mainly make the Nordic walking poles
Whatever you get make sure it's adjusted to the right length, which is a bit shorter than most people would guess

Measuring chart and catalogue

http://www.sticks.org/acatalog/Measuring_a_stick.html

And remember carry it on the side of the good leg
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 2:08 pm

:D :tu:
I've got one like this http://www.walkingsticks.uk.com/Albums/ ... ot_jpg.htm I bought it from a shop which sells all sorts of country and walking gear in Cornwall.
Make sure you get a rubber ferrule for it if it doesn't come with one, so it doesn't slip on wet road surfaces etc.

Where I lead, Sir Tom Jones and Gruney follow ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 2:13 pm

StokeySue wrote:And remember carry it on the side of the good leg

Oh - I would have got that wrong, Sue. I would have had it on the bad side,leaning on it to take a bit of the weight off. Thanks.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 9th, 2018, 2:16 pm

No, Sue's absolutely right of course .... use it on the good side but move it at the same time as the bad leg (I used to work with an OT)... takes a bit of practice but it really works and you'll begin to feel the benefit very quickly I'm sure.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » January 9th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Got it. Thanks Suffs and Sue.
Gruney
Registered

Postby scullion » January 10th, 2018, 8:05 am

Good morning, all.
The forecast says it's going to be sunny today but it's too early to tell if 'they' are right. Sunrise won't happen for another half hour.
Off to the farm in an hour or so, so I'd better get a wiggle on. I'm still in the cosy warmth of our pit, have hit the snooze button three times and now, as the blue screen effect on the 'fire' tells me it's eight o'clock, I really should get up and get going.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2018, 8:58 am

Good morning. There is dark cloud in south London which is moving fast, but the sun is shining through on the horizon, so hopefully it will get brighter. The ground is very wet, so I suppose it must have rained, but I didn't notice.

I have a black eye this morning. :D
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

Good morning
Overcast but brightening here, don't think we had much if anny rain overnight

Hope the shiner is not too bad Herbi!

Not a lot that has to be done today so think I'll walk up to the wetland centre and look at the water

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 10:29 am

Back from mammogram with the intention to rest after disturbed night due to BP monitor ..... what's the betting I won't be able to doze until after supper .... I suppose an early night would do just as well ....
It's very dull and dreary here but the scent of the Sweet Box I planted by the front door is beautiful :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » January 10th, 2018, 1:37 pm

OH dear Suffs. Is the BP thing uncomfortable?

I had my first mammogram a few months ago. I was surprised there weren't bruises after.

My shiner is modest, Sue, and the bruising on my cheek looks like rosacea. I will be applying Vitamin K cream. I'd forgotten there is now a Wetland up your way. I must get myself on the Ginger line (= tube/bus) sometime.

The sun is shining here, now.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 2:39 pm

We have two wetlands, Woodberry which is fairly bijou but an easy daily walk for me and has a nice cafe or a handy Italian deli / bistro when that's shut. Then there's the much newer and bigger E17 or Walthamstow wetlands that I haven't inspected yet but will make a good short hike one day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » January 10th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Herbidacious wrote: Is the BP thing uncomfortable?

I never used to find it uncomfortable in any way, but since my hypothyroid condition developed I find it excruciating to have my blood pressure taken by the digital machines ... the nurse does it with the old fashioned stethoscope and thingy which is a bit gentler but still uncomfortable but the 24 hour monitor has to be done digitally ... the pain is awful, my hand swells and goes purple and tingles and the pain brings tears to my eyes ... having it happen every 30 minutes is no fun :cry: . I googled the subject and was taken straight to a fibromyalgia website where many people said they experienced just the same thing ... then I found another side where trainee doctors were discussing it and saying that it leads to false readings because the pain ... and the expected pain and consequent tension, raises blood pressure considerable. :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » January 10th, 2018, 3:38 pm

The old digital machine at the eye clinic was like I imagine being chomped by a pit bull
The new one is fine
My BP has magically gone back to low normal
Funny that
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop