good morning +

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: good morning +

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2017, 10:39 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a bit of cloud.
it rained all yesterday evening so no watering will be needed for a few days.
well that book did not interfere with my ability to drop off last night. an easy read which could have been made better/more complex with a couple of other twists and a better bit of reasoning behind a deduction. it was almost as if she wanted to get it finished as quickly as possible. i suppose it was the sort of story to read on a train journey - good characters but not enough depth of story to make you miss your station.
i'll go back to reading 'the book of tea' now - not that i drink tea but it's a view of japanese culture through tea from the beginning of the last century.
tonight's dinner may depend on what is available from the community garden, tonight.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2017, 10:41 am

Good morning
We have had sun and showers so far, sometimes simultaneously
Must get on and tidy up
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 21st, 2017, 10:23 am

good morning, all.
wet and breezy.
i think i need to do some hswk, the place is a tip. i may have to work up to it - or just practice the art of avoidance.
i have the feeling that james fox may have used 'the book of tea' for much of his research for the programmes about japan that he did recently. i found i was hearing his voice as i read.
have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2017, 11:36 am

Good afternoon
Intermittent sunshine here
I need to do a bit more clearing up and
Go for a walk
Might have lunch first
Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 22nd, 2017, 10:49 am

good morning, all
raining - lots.
i'm in possession of very long strong nails at the moment (not a usual occurrence) and decided to paint them. the only nail varnish that isn't solid in the bottle (shows how often i use it) is a bright, 'vamp-like' red. they look so good they look fake - until they start chipping and splitting, very soon. i even managed to not smudge them while wet so they are all a uniform, high gloss. the reason i'm telling you this is because it's a first. none of these components have ever come into alignment before in my lifetime. i came close to it about ten years ago but superglue was involved then.
is it very wrong to wonder what the cat would look like with nail varnish‽‽‽
the darkness caused by the cloud and rain makes me think that it would be a good day to free up some space on the humax.
have a cosy day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 22nd, 2017, 11:25 am

What better excuse not to do any hswk then Scully ;) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 22nd, 2017, 11:38 am

Good after morning
My nails are growing well too but not ready for the vamp look yet, my professional gel pedicure is holding up well, I'll get it redone soon, and I'll maybe get may finger nails done if I go away
Just need to finish the putting away and the ironing, was going to watch h the paralethitics but it's only online today. Shame on you C4
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 23rd, 2017, 10:15 am

good morning, all.
sunny with a prediction of the same all day.
the nail varnish lasted until i cooked dinner last night. i kept thinking of the other 'fat lady', jennifer paterson, as i prepared and stirred.
after all the hand washing and having eaten i noticed the chips and so started picking at them. it wasn't very durable nail varnish - but very satisfying to pick off.
coffee almost drunk - i suppose i'd better get moving.
have a lazy sunday, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 23rd, 2017, 10:19 am

Good morning all :D
I was doing some tidying in the garden when OH set off for the city on his bike ........... the heavens have opened :rolleyes:
I might have to prep tonight's supper then get the knitting out ...
Hope everyone else is having a lovely day :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 23rd, 2017, 10:32 am

scullion wrote: other 'fat lady', jennifer paterson,

The line I'll always remember was when Clarissa D-W asked about adding yoghurt.

Remember the way she spoke - her response, in highly indignant tones, was " yoghurt? (yo pronounced as in yo yo) Yoghurt? More cream, Clarissa!"
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 25th, 2017, 9:15 am

Good morning
We have sun, and no rain forecast today, which is great as I am out to lunch.
Unfortunately the two days rain is forecast this week I have walks planned. Thursday to Forty Hall in Enfield and Saturday through the Carshalton Lavender Fields (who knew?). Fingers crossed.
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 25th, 2017, 9:27 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny at the moment.
I have never heard of the Greenland shark so have been fascinated by the book of the week on radio 4. They seem to be able to get to five hundred years old or more. The book is called 'shark drunk'. Worth listening to on iPlayer.
I'm half pleased with the pot I picked up yesterday - it's a hand built mug that I made at a lecture/workshop day given by a Japanese potter. He uses one colour on his work - a rather flat, blue/turquoise which i find a little boring. I'm pleased with my modeling of it but I think it may have gone a bit off circular in the transporting or firing (porcelain can be a bit temperamental at times - I had a load of saucers come out of the kiln after a glaze firing with major waviness).
I'ts on a shelf at the moment but may get put in with the other mugs when space is available.
Typing on a tiny keyboard with long nails is quite a trial but at least the fire gives you a few suggestions for what you're trying to say!
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 25th, 2017, 10:07 am

scullion wrote:I have never heard of the Greenland shark so have been fascinated by the book of the week on radio 4. They seem to be able to get to five hundred years old or more.

I caught that this morning too ... I think the Greenland sharks are the ones that live extremely deep in the ocean ? If so I recall seeing one of those nature programmes about the little submarine that can plumb the depths - the crew specifically looking for them. The sharks have a parasite growing out of their eyes too ... Of course I may be making all this up ;) :aww: :? :lol:

And now I am getting up close and personal with earthworms on this morning's Natural Histories ... :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 10:44 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast and wet cat - who was shut in the bathroom until she'd dried off.
Yesterday's sunshine soon disappeared in the mizzle so I spent part of the day looking at the other things the 'fire' can do. I'm impressed - other than the fact that I can't get rid of all the preloaded stuff on the desktop that is irrelevant to me - I definitely don't need the kindle for kids program. It is supposed to have 8gig of memory but that's halved with all the stuff they load on it that's not removable. I haven't found if it has a notebook yet.
I have been offered coffee.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 26th, 2017, 11:51 am

Morning
It's raining
The notebook seems to come only built in to Alexa, I need to set mine up and see what I can do
Close down screens you have finished with or it slows right down
Really wish I'd paid the extra for an iPad
Tidying in progress
Have a goid day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 26th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Mine was 'free' with the radio times subscription (that we buy anyway).
Yes, I do close down the tiled open things, I just wish I could clear all the things off the home page (and from the memory) that I'm never going to use.
I'll have a hunt for the notepad - or ask Alexa where it is!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 26th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Good after morning :D I seem not to have posted on here for a few days :? I'm a bit out of sync ...
I think I have one of those tiny prickles in my thumb ... it's had that prickling feeling when I touch it since yesterday .... I can't see anything but now there's a tiny hard raised spot ....... whatever it is I expect I'll survive :lol:
4 lbs of sliced cucumber are being brined at the moment ... I've just thought, the prickle might be from a cucumber stem perhaps?
Have a good day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2017, 7:26 am

Good marketing all
Off for a walk soon, we are going to Forty Hall and Myddleton House where the Bowles gardens are, the weather forecast is ambivalent but drier for there than here though only 6 miles away
Hoping the fresh air will deal with my incipient cold
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2017, 8:43 am

The invisible prickle is now a Black Spot .......... however, I still think I will survive ;)
Have a lovely walk Sue - fingers crossed for the weather.
Not sure what I'm doing today ... I may just faff around in the house and garden ..... in a leisurely sort of a way .......... Oh, and book a hotel for our return journey from Cornwall as we're taking a couple of days in Bedfordshire :D
Have a lovely day folks :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » July 27th, 2017, 9:01 am

Good morning everyone! Haven't been posting much as I've had a sinus infection - today is the last day for the antibiotics. Feels much better now. Apparently one side of my nose "pipe" is narrower than the other which may be making the problem worse. The doc is planning to put in some steroid drops in a couple of weeks! Housework this morning - first job is cleaning the hob but let's have a :mug: first!
Have a good day.
cooksalot
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2017, 9:06 am

Good morning, all.
Sunny with dull patches.
I'm working my way up to rising from the pit - but a coffee is on its way so I may linger a bit longer.
We have to leave the community garden a little early tonight as i'm going to the pub quiz. I don't expect we'll win as our football, sport, film and soap expert is working and it'll just be the two of us. It'll more likely be a chat and catch up rather than serious quiz.
Have a grand day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2017, 10:19 am

How to deal with Black Spot on Norfolk roses .... https://www.thespruce.com/black-spot-on-roses-4125530 ;)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2017, 10:56 am

Oh that's ok then EM :D ............ I was a'feared it were more along these lines ..........

"...Now, if I can't get away nohow, and they tip me the black spot, mind you, it's my old sea-chest they're after; you get on a horse—you can, can't you? Well, then, you get on a horse, and go to—well, yes, I will!—to that eternal doctor swab, and tell him to pipe all hands—magistrates and sich—and he'll lay 'em aboard at the "Admiral Benbow"—all old Flint's crew, man and boy, all on 'em that's left. I was first mate, I was, old Flint's first mate, and I'm the on'y one as knows the place. He gave it me at Savannah, when he lay a-dying, like as if I was to now, you see. But you won't peach unless they get the black spot on me, or unless you see that Black Dog again or a seafaring man with one leg, Jim—him above all."
"But what is the black spot, captain?" I asked.
"That's a summons, mate. I'll tell you if they get that. But you keep your weather-eye open, Jim, and I'll share with you equals, upon my honour."

;jimlad;
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 11:01 am

earthmaiden wrote:How to deal with Black Spot on Norfolk roses .... https://www.thespruce.com/black-spot-on-roses-4125530 ;)

My problem is mildew on my favourite Rosamundi rose :( :cry: It flourished last year, but this year it's not liking our summer so far. I know it's caused by humid air and dry soil and gave it a severe hair cut recently as the blooms were suffering too. It's re-growing, but the mildew is still there :o :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 11:03 am

scullion wrote:We have to leave the community garden a little early tonight as i'm going to the pub quiz. I don't expect we'll win as our football, sport, film and soap expert is working and it'll just be the two of us.

That's usually my down fall too ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2017, 11:26 am

I love the way these threads go :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Yes, they do kind of meander a bit don't they ? ;) As long as we can all follow the thread :lol: (whistle smiley) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 27th, 2017, 2:40 pm

I haven't been in 'the admiral benbow' for a few years, quaint old pub in pz.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2017, 5:16 pm

Lovely walk, mostly in the dry, then torrential downpour as we were walking to the bus stop on the way home.

Drenched but happy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2017, 5:37 pm

Sounds lovely ... drenched but happy is definitely good :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 28th, 2017, 9:47 am

Good morning, all.
Wet cat.
I've had to phone the repairer as they've found a critical fault in my Mac. I've had to trawl my old emails to find the invoice and forward it to them. They say that with that they can pull in a bit of EU law and repair it for free - otherwise it would have/will cost me £500. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. The fault they have found did not show up before they did updates - I have pointed that out to them.
My friend and I came joint second in the quiz which was no mean feat as there were at least five in each of the winners and the other joint second. Thankfully there were no sports questions. My adding up was questioned by the team we swapped sheets with, they tried to give themselves a couple more marks so I added it again - twice - I was right -we beat them by a point - they were grumpy - there were four of them - my friend said they looked like professional quizzers who'd expected to win - they came fourth - ha!
Coffee vibes being sent.
Gloat over.
Have a glorious day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 28th, 2017, 10:11 am

Bathroom and bedroom all done bar vacuuming bedroom and landing carpet and a line full of bedlinen flapping in the breeze ... still sunny here so fingers crossed the forecast is correct and I've got time to get that lot and the towels dry before rain late this afternoon.

Well done on the arithmetic Scully, plus not backing down ... cheating is despicable.

Right, now to get the vacuum out .........

Have a good day folks! :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2017, 10:24 am

Good morning
Quite pleasant here but won't be out much, as did a little hike yesterday and another tomorrow.
Book club tonight which may make getting up for the morning
Well done on the pub quiz scully, haven't done one in a while, must get organised
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 29th, 2017, 8:03 am

A small load in the machine, shopping list written ... just need to find some shoes ... anyone want anything from the farm shop ... just shout.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 31st, 2017, 8:04 am

Good morning, all.
Overcast and a tad damp.
We are at the minack tonight. We may again avail ourselves of a meal from the takeaway shack.
I have some paperwork to deal with today, a load of washing to do and a load of other stuff if I can get round to doing it.
The 'fire' has not only the ability to predict which word you're trying to say while typing but also suggests the word which you may want to say next. It was a bit disconcerting ('was a bit' were the suggested words) I on!y realised it was doing it when a word popped up before I'd started typing the next one. The machines are preempting us already.
Did the Venezuelan opposition shoot themselves in the foot by boycotting the vote?
Have an 'uninteresting' day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 8:19 am

Book case tidying day today ... it may take some time :rolleyes:
Holiday plans are being finalised 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2017, 8:35 am

Morning all ! It is quite bright here but bit chilly.

I have just said goodbye to my overnight guests ,... I joined Mr & Mrs Zosh last night for the meal at Zedels with the London Philharmonic and they stayed overnight with me as they are now on their way to Brixton Market and some friends who live that way (I think I have got that right ;) )

The music was sublime last night - we said that PepperPig would have loved it. I didn't recognise any of the music, only the composers - Mozart, Dvorak, Puccini and Bartok and Mendelssohn .. all their pieces were for strings, so very relaxing. :D :) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2017, 8:44 am

Good morning
We had sun, now fading
I don't mind the prediction on the Kindle Fire but it annoys me that it thinks all numbers are spelling mistakes, and it doesn't understand capitalisation, if you put one in by mistake, say tHat it offers you tHan as a correction but not that. Doh!
Have a good week everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2017, 8:46 am

StokeySue wrote:and it doesn't understand capitalisation, if you put one in by mistake, say tHat it offers you tHan as a correction but not that. Doh!

That annoys me on my phone too. :( :o
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2017, 10:00 am

So pleased that you and the Zoshes had a lovely time Pat.

I think that some of the things predictive text comes up with are hilarious. It's a pity with spelling that if you spell a word incorrectly which happens to make another word, it doesn't tell you that the word you have written is highly unsuitable in your sentence though :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 10:19 am

A long time ago when my job involved writing about music, my computer kept changing Kathleen Ferrier to Kathleen Ferrari ... very irritating. :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 31st, 2017, 10:22 am

suffolk wrote:Kathleen Ferrari

I imagine she was very popular with Carmen.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 11:33 am

:lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 31st, 2017, 5:43 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My all time favorite was the voice recognition package used by a blind colleague of mine for letter writing, which turned Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs into Her Majesty's Intestines and Upload. What was worst was that no one noticed until after the hard copy of the letter had been sent to a client... :oops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 6:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2017, 6:05 pm

Humans doit too
In the days when copy typists typed from handwritten notes, an entire pathology report was typed up with the terms "ferret urine" and "ferret faeces" converted to "ferret wine" and "ferret faces".
Not my handwriting I'm pleased to say
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2017, 6:13 pm

:lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 31st, 2017, 6:21 pm

Luckily we spotted the letter to Scottish hen table ( Scottish Equitable) before it was sent.

Voice dictation to a new pool typist.
BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby smitch » July 31st, 2017, 8:22 pm

I once almost sent a letter addressed 'Dear Mr Moron' :shock: luckily I spotted it just as I put the sealed envelope in the post tray. His surname was 'Morton' and I must not have pressed the t key hard enough. Am very grateful for window envelopes :lol:
smitch
Registered

Postby scullion » August 1st, 2017, 9:36 am

Good morning, all.
The weather will be all over the place so hardly worth mentioning.
My partner had a voice recognition program in the early nineties. He had to sit for hours talking to it and typing in the corrections until it learned what he was saying. There were many instances of hysterical laughter from everyone as he read out what it had written. The laughs were written down as yacht - there were flotillas full of those.
I've had an email that my laptop is on its way back to the shop in Truro. I may not be able to pick it up until monday. I have to say I have missed it but I suppose it has made me find out what the fire can do quicker than I otherwise would have and it was fortunate that I'd decided on the rt subscription when in did - but I have missed my Mac. It'll be interesting to see how I use this in the future - will it be just as a book or as a handbag computer (but I have my phone for that).
My coffee is here.
Have a good day, everyone.
scullion
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop